HIS, Hacker Identification Squad, a good idea?

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HIS, Hacker Identification Squad, a good idea?

Prominent Poet
    Post Count

HIS, Hacker Identification Squad, a good idea?

The defense skill hacker has always been rather invisible. With the defense points transparant on screen we now have a way to identify them more easily.

The reason why gree does not want us to put names of hackers on this public forum is because of privacy reasons and sometimes a reported hacker appears to be a heavy goldspender instead. Reporting such a person in public will harm his reputation.

On the other hand hackers who are not dealt with by gree cause damage to players for which gree is liable, irrespective what the general conditions would have to say about this. Simply said, setting up a stage for stealing can not be contractually repaired. Consumer laws, mandatory in nature, prevent this.

This all been said, time has come to force gree to dilligently identify and remove hackers in a transparant way. It has become obvious that the amount of hackers, despite many warnings by many of us, have increased up to an unacceptable level beyond the control of Gree. Clearly, sending a ticket will not suffice anymore as we have multiple proof that 100% reported hackers are not removed in due time.

I would like to establish a group of experienced players who can work on a formula by which there is no doubt that someone is a hacker. Once we have this formula in place we will make this formula or formulas public and ask everyone to report suspects to this hacker identification squad (HIS). They will review the suspect and once the HIS determines beyond a doubt that the suspect is a hacker HIS will give gree 12 hours to remove the hacker after which gree has either removed the hacker or has convinced HIS that the suspect is not a hacker at all (which is unlikely but in theory possible). In all other circumstances this hackers name with screenshot will be placed in a identified hacker thread. Gree will not like this, for sure but it is what you get if you allow criminals to steal money from your clients.

Two questions for you all
    1 your thoughts on the above
    2 who would be willing to volunteer for HIS membership. It is unpaid, a louzy job and therefore perfect for any nerd
    Yours,
    Unlike many think, we do not touch the world, we hover it.
    If you understand this, you love physics.

Post Count
    Sign me up, boss.

Algorithms and hating on cheaters are a few of my specialties.

With that said, the specific algorithms identified may be better off being kept out of the public eye. Knowing your thresholds to trigger these mechanisms may allow people to cheat just enough. Think Lance Armstrong.
    #smug

Ready to build a Movie Theater, Loft or Night Club? Click here.
    CC Loot Drops 20130122_3
    MW Loot Drops mw20121214_1

Post Count
    1. Agree
    2. Yes
    McGurt Assisted Living
    I just sh!t my pants. PM for details.

Post Count
    Sounds like a great idea.

Post Count
    I don't have algorithms, but I do share mxz's view on cheating......

A group of experienced players with a mixture of methodologies would be a good move.

Prominent Poet
    Post Count
    I love the idea and support it but cant dedicate any time to enforcing it.

One question, you say "The defense skill hacker has always been rather invisible. With the defense points transparant on screen we now have a way to identify them more easily."

Where are you seeing this?

Some observations
    1) have you goy buy in from Gree on this or do you know if they will accept this approach?
    2) you will need a bat-phone link for your tickets so that HIS members tickets are dealt with within your KPI of 12 hours
    3) what happens if Gree disagree with you? what evidence of non-hacking are you looking for?

Post Count
    Factions are HIS in themselves, reported 100's of modified characters myself, and half are still here, unless Gree get on board, what's the point at this stage? Hard enough to get a reply when you report the methods used as it is.

Oh, and no offense Ferr, but it's bloody easy to tell if someone is hacking or not.
    Last edited by mickymacirl; 02-13-2013 at 04:42 AM.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by mickymacirl View Post
    Factions are HIS in themselves...
    I have been reporting an individual with 3,242 loot units (294 Lead Soldiers/883 Steel Eagles/2,065 Heavy Cannon) from the Syndicate Compound (boss Yong Hai Huang, 684 energy per hit, 29 hits to get a loot item) since Saturday. Although that requires 94,000+ missions, he's only got 7,000. He is still there this morning, and if you read his newsfeed, it is full of requests from Top 100 factions, trying to enlist this individual.

Factions aren't fixing this problem, factions are exacerbating it.

The only negative comment on the newsfeed is from one of the faction members of the group with the reeeeeaaaaaalllll long numbers who posted a note identifying the individual as a hacker. That comment was of course removed. Whoever you were, I salute you.

Ferr is right. GREE is not going to police this -- they are having a hard time trying to keep their game running, given all the changes introduced by factions.

I would volunteer in an instant for HIS -- otherwise, the way things are now, I don't see any point in playing a game that is this stacked against honest players.

Banned
    Post Count
    Hackers?

Are there hackers in Modern War?

I haven't seen nary a one.

If I run across one, which I doubt, I'll pass along the information to the fine folks at Gree support.

I'm sure they'll rectify the situation rapidly.

Hackers in Modern War, nope, never come across one.
    Last edited by PIRATE JUSTICE; 02-13-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarth1955 View Post
    I have been reporting an individual with 3,242 loot units (294 Lead Soldiers/883 Steel Eagles/2,065 Heavy Cannon) from the Syndicate Compound (boss Yong Hai Huang, 684 energy per hit, 29 hits to get a loot item) since Saturday. Although that requires 94,000+ missions, he's only got 7,000. He is still there this morning, and if you read his newsfeed, it is full of requests from Top 100 factions, trying to enlist this individual.

Factions aren't fixing this problem, factions are exacerbating it.

The only negative comment on the newsfeed is from one of the faction members of the group with the reeeeeaaaaaalllll long numbers who posted a note identifying the individual as a hacker. That comment was of course removed. Whoever you were, I salute you.

Ferr is right. GREE is not going to police this -- they are having a hard time trying to keep their game running, given all the changes introduced by factions.

I would volunteer in an instant for HIS -- otherwise, the way things are now, I don't see any point in playing a game that is this stacked against honest players.
    No offense intended Mike, but you don't know the full picture in all of this, but you are right to a point. Without WD and Factions none of these players would have been found out, well apart from people reporting it over 3 months ago, well before factions, at that time it was only higher players losing to lower players that had a clue to a persons skill points/energy.

Post Count
    Love the idea Ferr but you know as well as I do that Gree has turned a blind eye to hackers. Hackers are already being reported and not dealt with at all. So I don't see having a "hacker" police squad will do anything but uncover more hackers. This is Gree's responsibility and unless you have them on board or an insider willing to do this for you it will be a lost cause.

So lets say you have your squad and you find and identify all these hackers. You report all info to Gree and nothing is done? You must have some type of leverage to force Gree to act. Unless you and all the other top spenders are truly prepared and committed to walking away from the game, Gree has no incentive to do anything. The only other option is for Gree to empower your hacker squad by giving you the ability to ban hackers. I dont see that happening either though.

Not really trying to rain on your parade as I admire your proposal and dedication. Unless Gree takes the initiative or is forced into that position by you big money players, there is no immediate value-added benefit for them do anything. Which is why they have done nothing up to this point.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    No offense intended Mike, but you don't know the full picture in all of this...
    None taken, and I agree with you 100% that I don't know the full picture on all of this. I wish someone would enlighten me, or that someone would empower someone I trust (like Ferr) to protect my interests.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD@wg View Post
    Unless Gree takes the initiative or is forced into that position by you big money players, there is no immediate value-added benefit for them do anything. Which is why they have done nothing up to this point.
    I'd have to disagree with that, CJ has been very active in closing the holes within the game, that being said, he's only one man.

Post Count
    I'd have to disagree with that, CJ has been very active in closing the holes within the game, that being said, he's only one man.
    It's nothing against CJ. He seems to take his job seriously and does well at helping people. Of my experience with support he and only one other actually seem to know the game and how it works. But as you said, he is only one person and one person cannot fix this problem.

It is a global issue and Gree as a corporation must take an initiative to fix the problem and help prevent it on the front end, secure the files, and do whatever it takes to make it LESS easily hacked. There will always be hacks because the people doing the hacks are just as smart or smarter than the people doing the programming. If they don't further secure the game then everyone might as well live with the hackers and stop complaining about them. If chasing and banning is all that is done then by the time you find, report, and get one banned...ten more will take his/ her place.

I'm not a programmer but I can't believe that it would be that difficult to write scripts to constantly scan the player database for anomalies such as excessive skill points, multiple epic boss units, or anything that would be outside the realm of normal game play. I think it is possible but Gree isn't willing to spend the time or money to do so.

Why must the players spend their time hunting and chasing hackers?!? It's Gree's responsibility, not ours.
    Last edited by BigD@wg; 02-13-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Banned
    Post Count
    1ear agree with mickymac...CJ is the best Gree has (even though he has banned 1ear and closed two 1ear threads)...
    here is 1ear question...why only one man? Gree make enough money in BFB to hire 100 peoplesss to "take care
    of things"