Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Actually since pink is a rare color in the armors, a good looking pink epic would be HIGHLY desired by everyone because of the rarity. There's not a single EB or epic armor that's pink. There's a lot of purplish pinks and light purples but no real hot pink armor. The war COULD bring in HUGE points and HUGE amounts of gems spent because of the novelty!
    Last edited by Rhaegal; 08-27-2014 at 07:06 PM.

I'm all for finding cures to diseases like cancer.

But I think there are at least two things you people might want to consider before jumping all over over the pink ribbon bandwagon. Just gonna throw this out there...

1:

I Will Not Be Pinkwashed: Komen's Race Is For Money, Not Cure
    Outrageous salaries, drug company ties, and less than a dime of every dollar looks for a cure.
    Alternet

Susan G. Komen for the Cure is a multimillion-dollar company with assets totaling over $390 million. Only 20.9% of these funds were reportedly used in the 2009-2010 fiscal year for research “for the cure.” Where does the rest of the money go? Let’s have a look. Health screening is 13.0%. Treatment is 5.6%. Fundraising is 10.0%. The largest chunk of the pie is going toward “public health education,” 39.1%. More on that later, but for now I’d like to take a look at the millions, or 11.3%, spent on “administrative costs.”

. . .

"Public Health Education"

We have all seen the rallies with pink hats, pink T-shirts, pink staging, pink everything. Is this really making a difference?

The area in which Komen spends the highest percentage of funds is in “public health education,” in other words, bringing awareness to the population of the disease itself and the importance of screening for early detection of breast cancer. While that may be considered a worthwhile goal to some, it’s important to realize that Komen stands to profit from spreading that message.

It admits to about 10% of funds used for “fundraising,” but let’s be honest, the pink-ribbon-plastered “awareness” and”education” campaigns are often little more than a highly effective form of advertising — which in turn, brings in Komen’s millions.

. . .

Research "for the Cure"

Susan G. Komen does indeed provide millions of dollars to fund research — but what exactly is it researching with those grants? One blogger diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer who had serious doubts of the intentions of the Komen foundation, dug through the research grants herself, and found the following information about how Komen’s research money is spent.

Its pie chart for all research spending from 1982-2010 says: treatment, 22%; early detection, 15%; etiology, 8%; prevention, 10%; model systems, 3%; survivorship, 9%; and biology, 33%.

The only conceivable categories related to finding a cure for the cancer being researched would be etiology (the study of causation), survivorship, model systems, and biology.

So to break it down even further, Susan G. Komen for the Cure only spends a possible 53% of its research funding for a cure, or — about 11% of total revenue. Donate a dollar “for the cure?” Only about a dime of that will go toward research that might actually be designed to cure cancer

. . .

Pink ribbon products are everywhere. But how much good is it really doing to support the fight against breast cancer by purchasing them?

As it turns out, not much.

If only about a dime of every dollar is spent on research for a cure, then just imagine how minuscule of a contribution is being made for that cause when such a small portion of the pink proceeds go toward Komen as a whole.

“It’s rarely more than a penny on the dollar,” said Trent Stamp, executive director of Charity Navigator, a charity watchdog group. “It’s just great advertising.”

So, on that front, I would just like to make you aware that there are other charities out there that do a much better job at putting your donations to work.

Charities Working to Prevent and Cure Breast Cancer
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...7#.U_6UmWPQq48

There are a handful listed right there with 4-out-of-4 ratings.

2:

Not to sound like a Men's Rights Advocate or anything, but the number of men who are afflicted by or die from prostate and testicular cancer are about the same as the number of women who are afflicted by or die from breast cancer.

What month is Butt and Ball Cancer Awareness Month?

EDIT: Fun coincidence. Just found this pic randomly browsing subreddits.

Last edited by Sol Invictus; 08-27-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post

But I think there are at least two things you people might want to consider before jumping all over over the pink ribbon bandwagon. Just gonna throw this out there...

1:

Outrageous salaries, drug company ties, and less than a dime of every dollar looks for a cure.
    Alternet

Susan G. Komen for the Cure is a multimillion-dollar company with assets totaling over $390 million. Only 20.9% of these funds were reportedly used in the 2009-2010 fiscal year for research “for the cure.” Where does the rest of the money go? Let’s have a look. Health screening is 13.0%. Treatment is 5.6%. Fundraising is 10.0%. The largest chunk of the pie is going toward “public health education,” 39.1%. More on that later, but for now I’d like to take a look at the millions, or 11.3%, spent on “administrative costs.”

. . .

We have all seen the rallies with pink hats, pink T-shirts, pink staging, pink everything. Is this really making a difference?

The area in which Komen spends the highest percentage of funds is in “public health education,” in other words, bringing awareness to the population of the disease itself and the importance of screening for early detection of breast cancer. While that may be considered a worthwhile goal to some, it’s important to realize that Komen stands to profit from spreading that message.

It admits to about 10% of funds used for “fundraising,” but let’s be honest, the pink-ribbon-plastered “awareness” and”education” campaigns are often little more than a highly effective form of advertising — which in turn, brings in Komen’s millions.

. . .

Research "for the Cure"

Susan G. Komen does indeed provide millions of dollars to fund research — but what exactly is it researching with those grants? One blogger diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer who had serious doubts of the intentions of the Komen foundation, dug through the research grants herself, and found the following information about how Komen’s research money is spent.

Its pie chart for all research spending from 1982-2010 says: treatment, 22%; early detection, 15%; etiology, 8%; prevention, 10%; model systems, 3%; survivorship, 9%; and biology, 33%.

The only conceivable categories related to finding a cure for the cancer being researched would be etiology (the study of causation), survivorship, model systems, and biology.

So to break it down even further, Susan G. Komen for the Cure only spends a possible 53% of its research funding for a cure, or — about 11% of total revenue. Donate a dollar “for the cure?” Only about a dime of that will go toward research that might actually be designed to cure cancer

. . .

Pink ribbon products are everywhere. But how much good is it really doing to support the fight against breast cancer by purchasing them?

If only about a dime of every dollar is spent on research for a cure, then just imagine how minuscule of a contribution is being made for that cause when such a small portion of the pink proceeds go toward Komen as a whole.

“It’s rarely more than a penny on the dollar,” said Trent Stamp, executive director of Charity Navigator, a charity watchdog group. “It’s just great advertising.”

So, on that front, I would just like to make you aware that there are other charities out there that do a much better job at putting your donations to work.

2:

Not to sound like a Men's Rights Advocate or anything, but the number of men who are afflicted by or die from prostate and testicular cancer are about the same as the number of women who are afflicted by or die from breast cancer.

Lol not sure but I'm all for any monthly event to support different causes
    iOS
    IGN: PB HeidE CotS
    Co-Leader of Pitch Black
    Sister Guilds: Over Level 100 & Cafe Noir, Elite Rainbow, Academy Blackrose of the Sun
    CotS alliance (children of the sun) and a part of RA (Rainbow Alliance)
    LINE heidnseek

1:

AlternetI

. . .

. . .

Research "for the Cure"

. . .

2:

Yea.... I think you could have THAT armor... I'll pass lol

Everything needs more Pink!

Charity?

You do know charity is a business? Its just like banks. They arent there to help you - They are trying to make money of you. Also Sol is right. Only a very tiny amount of the donated money ends up with those who needs help.

Its sounds like you help the hungry, the poor and/or helping cure cancer... But in the end all you do is pay the organisations bills and give them profit.

Thats why i do not support charity. I would rather go down the street and buy a homeless person a solid warm meal directly which i know will help the person...
    LvL: 438 - Bandroid
    Activity: Barely due to Gree's incompetence
    Armors: I hear Gree laughing at us.

Favorite question:Why do you even keep playing KnD?

Guild: LvL 75 Conquering Knights (Members 2x/40)
    Bonuses: Fire 10%. Spirit 10%. Earth 10%. Air 10%. Water 10%.

PM me for more information

1. It depends on the charity. There are in fact many charities where the majority of your money or even 100% in some cases does go to the cause and not a CEO's pocket. A good example would be Child's Play (on the posited end would be UNICEF where very little of your money does any real good).

2. I fully support the idea put forward by Heide and would love to see a pink armor. There are lots of organizations that could use some charitable support, it doesn't have to just be the big names. Awareness is a good thing and can help save lives.

@sol: it's in November and is called "Movember". The gimmick is for men to grow facial hair for the month to raise awareness. My brothers do this every year. And yes, I think it would be both fair and cool if gree would also have a mustache war event for all the men out there

Movember has pretty poor marketing, because I just thought it was a portmanteau of "moustache" and "November" or something, had no idea it was about some awareness nonsense. And these gimmick months like no-shave November or no-fap February...I don't even...

Though we will never see the day that all money donated for charity is used to it's fullest potential, not donating at all is not a solution either. Yeah, you can buy someone a free lunch but that does not fund research and the comfort that some cancer patients get just from knowing that someone cares. I support the initiative and say it's time for GREE to make a move.

"Awareness" is a money drain. No money to research just marketing.
    ITSB Kanga Ill Tempered Sea Bass / Only The Best

Interested in joining one of the top guilds in k&d? Pm kangaroeland on line, we have spots for every kind of player.

-- ITSB #10 Magma Lord Raid --

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about this as I am mine, I know that more men and women are surviving breast cancer these days then in the past because of the advances that have been made in medicine throughout the years because of "awareness" and donations, fundraisers, charities whatever you want to call it. Sure maybe a lot does go to marketing, but some how and some way less people are dying from breast cancer and that says something.
    iOS
    Co-Leader of Pitch Black
    Sister Guilds: Over Level 100 & Cafe Noir, Elite Rainbow, Academy Blackrose of the Sun
    LINE heidnseek

If you don't believe in it then don't contribute in October if gree makes an event for it, that's your choice--as it is mine and others choice to participate if the choice is provided
    iOS
    Co-Leader of Pitch Black
    LINE heidnseek

And then in November, GREE can run a promotion where X% of revenue from KnD goes to NAMBLA. They can call in NAMBLAvember.

If you don't agree with it then it's your choice not to participate for that month.

And then in November, GREE can run a promotion where X% of revenue from KnD goes to NAMBLA. They can call in NAMBLAvember.

If you don't agree with it then it's your choice not to participate for that month.

If anything they should have AIDS Awareness in October. NAMBLA (North American Man Boy Love Association), I did not know you were a member SOL. lol