Old Farts Represent!

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Farts Represent!

Post Count

Old Farts Represent!

ITT: We tell the noobs about how things used to be so hopefully they stop acting so dumb.

Back in the day we used to dream about the day we'd reach 35k attack/defense so we could get the Golden Grenade Launcher and the Golden Gatling Gun like all the elite players. This was extremely difficult for people who didn't buy limited edition gold weapons, and loot drops such as the pimp's lowrider or the rocket launcher. It was kind of lame, but some people took the easy route of increasing their attack by buying consumable explosives that increased your stats by 30/0 or 0/25 at the cost of hundreds of thousands of in-game cash. There were no events. There were no prizes. You built a city, upgraded your buildings, and attacked people.

It was a simpler time. It was a better time. We did map jobs to try to find cool loot drops and talked about what we found on the forum. (well, others did. I was just a young noob lurking for hints) Then came the dreaded M4A1, but that's a tale for another day.
    Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Dippy, may be a little harsh in this thread, but he's right...
    Still mad at Bostick.

I'll be back when the moderation is reasonable. Enjoy the forum you created, Gree.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    I know how it was because I had an account back then on Facebook. As we can all see, no one does regular jobs. It shows what stats were back in the day. You do a job now and you get a item that's 24/15 or something. GREE bought Funzio and never changed any of the old stuff. Events came which is cool be turned into inflated stats.
    Level: Low
    Stats: Beast

That is all....

Post Count
    Thug Life and 499'ers... lol, nobody cares anymore.

I remember the old RL rants about the it being full of 499'ers and nobody could find rivals with 500 mafia.
    Line ID: clementine88

Steady Scribe
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Not an old fart but that's still kinda how I play the game, I'm not a gold spender and I'm not looking to run my schedule around a cell phone game. Crap's too complicated and time-consuming to really keep up with anymore, I just like upgrading buildings and robbing suckers. Gree gives me a challenge to defeat X number of players I do it, it's simple and straightforward and fun and I don't even need a real reward for it- I'm not a gold spender, Gree doesn't have to cater to me. But do I really have to be punished for playing the game that way? That's the part that irks me. The more I play the further I'll get from actually being a "strong" player, while others purposefully avoid large portions of the game- whatever, get off my lawn you punk kids.

Post Count
    TL;DR.......ponies

Assault & Flattery made the signature above. She will be missed.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by The_ View Post
    TL;DR.......ponies

Damn kids!
    Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Dippy, may be a little harsh in this thread, but he's right...
    Still mad at Bostick.

I'll be back when the moderation is reasonable. Enjoy the forum you created, Gree.

Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    I remember how I just about messed myself when I won a $10 mill scratcher. Helped me build lofts and MT's and such and propelled my way to a NC.

I remember having no limited time goals or events. I would rob, attack, and work on my hood. The time-suck did not exist.

I remember thinking that reaching new levels was an accomplishment. And I remember learning about why one should camp.

I remember reading very thorough analyses about hood economics and how to maximize gameplay. I remember when these stopped.

I remember joining a syndicate when they first started whose DL had over 100K stats, and I thought it was just amazing and almost unfathomable.

I remember weighing options on whether I should buy a 4/6 stat item versus a 1/12 stat item, and then check my stats after buying them to see noticable changes.

I remember talking to a particular forum member here, back in the day, who had reached 1 million stats when we were all stuck in the high 5 figures / low 6 figures. The amount of gold spent that this individual confessed was mind-boggling. I feel bad that it is now obsolete, but this individual has since retired (wonder why).

It was simpler times.

Then I remember being able to complete a few events, when they were introduced. I remember not being able to reach much past the mid-twenty epic bosses when the goal was 50, and then being able to complete 100. Then not being able to complete 100.

I remember the first time I set an alarm for a game.

I remember when the game felt like F2P. And then I remember discovering how it is P2W. I remember feeling sad for people for some of the choices they had made and continued to make, but finding peace knowing I could control my own choices.

I remember not feeling like a hamster on a wheel, like what I was doing now would be made obsolete in a month.

For other reasons not important to discuss here, I officially retired from Crime City 3 days ago and took steps to ensure that I couldn't go back to it.

I remember not having time for so many things, before 3 days ago. It is now simpler times. It was a good run.
    Last edited by Idiosyncrasy; 08-13-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiosyncrasy View Post
    I remember how I just about messed myself when I won a $10 mill scratcher. Helped me build lofts and MT's and such and propelled my way to a NC.

I remember having no limited time goals or events. I would rob, attack, and work on my hood. The time-suck did not exist.

I remember thinking that reaching new levels was an accomplishment. And I remember learning about why one should camp.

I remember reading very thorough analyses about hood economics and how to maximize gameplay. I remember when these stopped.

I remember joining a syndicate when they first started whose DL had over 100K stats, and I thought it was just amazing and almost unfathomable.

I remember weighing options on whether I should buy a 4/6 stat item versus a 1/12 stat item, and then check my stats after buying them to see noticable changes.

I remember talking to a particular forum member here, back in the day, who had reached 1 million stats when we were all stuck in the high 5 figures / low 6 figures. The amount of gold spent that this individual confessed was mind-boggling. I feel bad that it is now obsolete, but this individual has since retired (wonder why).

It was simpler times.

Then I remember being able to complete a few events, when they were introduced. I remember not being able to reach much past the mid-twenty epic bosses when the goal was 50, and then being able to complete 100. Then not being able to complete 100.

I remember the first time I set an alarm for a game.

I remember when the game felt like F2P. And then I remember discovering how it is P2W. I remember feeling sad for people for some of the choices they had made and continued to make, but finding peace knowing I could control my own choices.

I remember not feeling like a hamster on a wheel, like what I was doing now would be made obsolete in a month.

For other reasons not important to discuss here, I officially retired from Crime City 3 days ago and took steps to ensure that I couldn't go back to it.

I remember not having time for so many things, before 3 days ago. It is now simpler times. It was a good run.
    Good list. Best of luck to you sir.

I remember the first events being basically crate events where everybody tried to get up to 10 opened. I remember the first one I got was fuzzy dice and it kinda made my day. All the discussion here was strategy, and the Rat Cather thing, and the M4's, and the weasel that faked like he got a Mossberg at random and he actually had six through a glitch that he wouldn't share.

I also remember incredibly funny and intelligent posters like Tramp Stamp who put incredible amounts of time into spreadsheets that they did now know would be obsolete a few short months later. Finally, I remember learning about how much I did wrong after logging into the forum for the first time.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Finally, I remember learning about how much I did wrong after logging into the forum for the first time.
    This, and it also taught me to seek out the forum of every game before I started playing it.

I've been playing the game since the beginning-ish (I started in Oct '11 I think) and I think the key to longevity is really just moderation (in terms of gold). Decide a monthly price you're willing to pay (and maybe that's $0) and don't deviate from it. Use the gold in whatever events you choose, but stick to your budget. Avoid chasing the kompu gacha type events (case) and just stay in your comfort zone. If Gree decide to move the carrot, forcing more spend to maintain a certain level, adjust your expectations accordingly.

Post Count
    Does anybody buy crates anymore?
    Line ID: clementine88

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    Yall are like Al Bundy reliving your old football days. Your time is up. Move along and let the younguns take over.
    Pagoda no good.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleazy_P_Martini View Post
    Yall are like Al Bundy reliving your old football days. Your time is up. Move along and let the younguns take over.
    at 40m IPH I would assume you're an old timer too?

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstik View Post
    ITT: We tell the noobs about how things used to be so hopefully they stop acting so dumb.

Back in the day we used to dream about the day we'd reach 35k attack/defense so we could get the Golden Grenade Launcher and the Golden Gatling Gun like all the elite players. This was extremely difficult for people who didn't buy limited edition gold weapons, and loot drops such as the pimp's lowrider or the rocket launcher. It was kind of lame, but some people took the easy route of increasing their attack by buying consumable explosives that increased your stats by 30/0 or 0/25 at the cost of hundreds of thousands of in-game cash. There were no events. There were no prizes. You built a city, upgraded your buildings, and attacked people.

It was a simpler time. It was a better time. We did map jobs to try to find cool loot drops and talked about what we found on the forum. (well, others did. I was just a young noob lurking for hints) Then came the dreaded M4A1, but that's a tale for another day.
    Your still noon

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredfreddy View Post
    at 40m IPH I would assume you're an old timer too?
    I plead the fif.
    Pagoda no good.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleazy_P_Martini View Post
    Yeah, cuz three years is an eternity.

The problem with many noobs to the game on the forum isn't the fact that they are noobs to the game, it's the fact that they sound like a sh*t salesman with a mouth full of samples.