Data usage.. - Page 4

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Data usage..

Post Count
    Good for you for pointing it out, Champion. Looks like they are at least attempting to fix. That's nice.

I guess I didn't understand that you were using a mobile hotspot. That makes more sense to me as far as being charged and capped for everything. We have a few services similar to that in the states. I have two separate providers though. Mobile account for my phone when away from the home, and then traditional (uncapped) cable connections at home and work. That's were I play via WiFi "for free" so to speak, sense those are a cable internet, and unlimited access (at least my account is)

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ54 View Post
    We're going to be putting a prospective fix for this into the next client update (game version 5.2).
    How soom might that be? I am on a company plan with a fixed amount of data and my boss wants to know what the hell I am doing.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    How soom might that be? I am on a company plan with a fixed amount of data and my boss wants to know what the hell I am doing.
    Ha ha max.. good luck getting out of that one
    Cheers cj.. looking forward to seeing 5.2 very soon.

Consistent Contributor Sandhawk's Avatar
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgz View Post
    Champion24: Just curious, are you saying your data plan has a mobile limit (1GB) AND a WiFi limit (15GB)? I'm sorry I and really don't mean to dwell into your personal business I'm just trying to figure out if I understand you correctly, and if some providers are now putting limits on WiFi usage?

For what it's worth, I have unlimited data plans on mobile data, home WiFi and work WiFi. I probably pay WAY too much, but I currently like the freedom. It disturbs me to hear providers are now charging for bytes of WiFi data, if that is what you are saying.
    Service providers have ALWAYS had a cap for internet usage (home isp not cellular data). Most people don't know because they either didn't read their service agreement or have never hit the ceiling...
    Last edited by Sandhawk; 06-03-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    KA - ✠ Southern Dutch Knights 769-614-822
    CC - 🔫 Old Retired Gangsters 980-215-010
    MW - 🌎Maverick 196-547-849

Stop giving out chests. Nobody wants a chest as a prize.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Champion24 View Post
    Ha ha max.. good luck getting out of that one
    Cheers cj.. looking forward to seeing 5.2 very soon.
    I won't really get in trouble for it, my boss knows I play the games while driving and it drives her nuts, but I have a long desolate commute, and it keeps me sane. Unfortunately, I have 50% of the billing period left to go and I hit the 75% mark for the three of us yesterday, and I have a business trip and vacation planned before the billing cycle is up.

So, thanks to this data suck, I will be on a business trip with the phone off for the duration, just because a damn game can't manage its data. Effin great.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandhawk View Post
    Service providers have ALWAYS had a cap for internet usage (home isp not cellular data). Most people don't know because they either didn't read their service agreement or have never hit the ceiling...
    I would need to read the small print (which I probably wont because that would be exhausting and I doubt I would understand it). I'm guessing I have never hit the cap before, then -- becuase I have never been cut off or dialed back in speed that I am aware of.

You are, however, incorrect about isp's "always" having caps. In fact, many of them did not have caps for many years. Proof (and a six month old chart of who DOES and who DOES NOT have data caps here): https://gigaom.com/2013/11/15/data-cap-2013/

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Most Internet providers here in ireland sell unlimited data.. and then in the fine print it say fair usage limit applies and what ever the limit it.
    One mobile phone claims to have unlimited data for only €10 topup.. and in the fine print it has a fair usage of 7.5Gbs.
    Crazy stuff.. so in fact your not getting what your paying for.
    Go home and download a 100 movies and see what kind of bill you get at the end of the month.

Post Count
    I hear you champion, and I don't want to test that. Besides, just looking at the list in that link, my provider (Comcast) is one that DOES definitely have data caps. But there are some out there that still advertise no data cap. I can't speak to their inclusion of the "fair usage" limits, but I wouldn't be shocked at all. However, I do know for many years here in the states there were quite few completely uncapped providers. I also clearly remember the public outrage when a few of the bigger ones (Comcast / ATT) started adding data caps. It was all over the news and people started switching providers like crazy.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    They all do it here in Ire.. you really gotta read the small print or your screwed if you go over your limit/fair usage.
    I went over by 10Gbs last month cos of this game.. I was just leaving all devices running like I always do and I got a bill of €400
    Won't be doing that anymore till cj.s v5.2 comes out.. sometime soon I hope.
    Hint hint Cj

Post Count
    May data usage over the last 6 months, with changes in behavior noted, in GB:

December .940
    January .850
    February 1.590 (I was on business trips for half the month)
    March .810
    April 1.14
    May 1.63 (Still have 10 days left on the statement)

The statements are from the 15th to the 14th, so the May one above is actually May 15 to June 14th. At the present rate of normal use, I would end up at about 2.2GB of data use. Add on top that I will be traveling next week, probably higher.

My behavior, other than the sales trips in Feb, has not changed.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    I feel sorry for the 1000.s of people that have no idea Cc is chewing up their data usage and are gonna get a big hefty bill at the end of their cycle.
    It.s happened to a few of my guys and thankfully they weren't as stupid as me and noticed it.

Steady Scribe
    Post Count
    Any updates on this???

Post Count
    I have figured out how to track data use in IOS 7 and reset it to zero, so lets see over the next 10 days who the data hog i is.

Post Count
    That's cool Max Power. Is that an app or a feature of IOS7 that allows you to track usage?

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgz View Post
    That's cool Max Power. Is that an app or a feature of IOS7 that allows you to track usage?
    Go into Settings. Go into Cellular.

Scroll down. At the bottom of the page is all your apps and under the name of the app is the data you have used since the last update to the IOS. At the very bottom of the page is a Reset Statistics button. Of you click that it all goes back to zero, so you can check in tomorrow to see what you used during the 24 hour period.

I went into my calendar and set it so I get a reminder every month when my next cell cycle starts, so I can track it monthly.

Remember, this only records the data used by cell service, not wireless, which is the point here. After a month you should see which apps are hogs and delete them or disable them to turn them on only when you need them. Right now I am trying to figure out how to turn off GameCenter, which isn't an app but is in the System Services button right above the Reset Statistics button at the bottom of the page.

Hope that helps.