Skill reset button deliberately not given

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skill reset button deliberately not given

Prominent Poet
    Post Count

Skill reset button deliberately not given

As it would instantly and substatially reduce revenues on short term basis (inside info).
    Unlike many think, we do not touch the world, we hover it.
    If you understand this, you love physics.

Post Count
    Not an insider here, but have suspected this for a long time, as with many other aspects of this games functions.
    Thank you Ferr
    I may not be your daddy, but I will still spank you.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferr View Post
    As it would instantly and substatially reduce revenues on short term basis (inside info).
    Did you declare war to a certain game company? Lol

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Ferr you are using unknown words to little kids, to look smarter, LOL.

Not the reason. I'm not sure that anybody knows what the short-term or long-term effects of the implementation of skill point resets would be; it is something that would likely depend on the implementation method and is hard to predict in terms of both behavior and enjoyment. It comes up with some regularity in discussion of implementation of new features, but the reluctance is based around the aforementioned uncertainty more than anything else, along with the stuff outlined below.

A couple of things we know:

-They can't be free and available all the time. That's one of those things that sounds great in practice but rapidly lead to more boredom, kind of like godmode. I don't know why; it might have something to do with psychological investment in one's base/character or such as an actual entity in some way, but even games that have no stake whatsoever in people changing their build/stat points/skill points tend to put a limiter on the mechanic. Short version: free-for-all = people stop playing faster or don't actually enjoy themselves as much.

-If we slap a gold price on it, that puts additional gold spender vs. non-gold spender imbalance into things. This is less true in MW than some of the other games, but the ability to swap stats around at will is still potentially a pretty big advantage (moreso than getting a really good reward unit, over time). That was actually the original reason we never put the feature into any of the games as a mechanic; back in the early days of Crime City, being able to swap energy vs. stamina vs. attack/defense at will would have been a HUGE advantage. Again, this is potentially less so now.

Additionally, there is some serious reluctance to muck around with skill point resets after the debacle in the Facebook version of Crime City a couple of years ago. We gave out a one-time skill reset to everyone in the game, and that led to about 300 tickets a day from people asking/begging/demanding further skill point resets and a LOT of associated unhappiness in the playerbase that would never have happened if we had not done that at all. This leads to some level of reluctance on time-locked skill point resets (i.e. once a month) or one-time skill point resets, which is another potential thing that has been floated as an option that avoids some of the above concerns.

So, the short version is that the actual result would be uncertain, the implementation method isn't intuitive, AND we had a major problem from them previously. That's why there's currently no skill point reset mechanic in the game. Right now, you make the choices that you do in regards to skills, you play with what you have, and the differences aren't so great that one "build" is just obviously better than everything else. If we add a new feature to the game that hugely changes the effects of points spent in one skill or another, we will probably revisit. But until then it is probably not something that is going to happen.

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    CJ -

You stated that it would be revisited if an event was added that was largely effected by skill point distribution. So why was it not revisited when LTQs and FLTQs were implemented? Energy requirements for those events are specifically tied to skill point allocation.

Or maybe I'm wrong?

Evil M.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Mastermind View Post
    CJ -

You stated that it would be revisited if an event was added that was largely effected by skill point distribution. So why was it not revisited when LTQs and FLTQs were implemented? Energy requirements for those events are specifically tied to skill point allocation.

Or maybe I'm wrong?

Evil M.
    It was discussed at the time, but we decided to hold off and see if it became necessary after the initial balancing was done.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    I can understand the logic behind you thinking CJ, but you have changed the mechanics of the game in a way that now makes skill points much more valuable in energy or stamina, and less valuable or maybe even worthless as attack or defense. When I first started the game attack and defense may have been just as important as energy. But with stat inflation, attack and defense are just worthless. Everyone now realizes that it is a waste to put skill points in attack and defense, so we are just asking you to level out the playing field for long time players.

Prominent Poet
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ54 View Post
    Not the reason. I'm not sure that anybody knows what the short-term or long-term effects of the implementation of skill point resets would be; it is something that would likely depend on the implementation method and is hard to predict in terms of both behavior and enjoyment. It comes up with some regularity in discussion of implementation of new features, but the reluctance is based around the aforementioned uncertainty more than anything else, along with the stuff outlined below.

A couple of things we know:

-They can't be free and available all the time. That's one of those things that sounds great in practice but rapidly lead to more boredom, kind of like godmode. I don't know why; it might have something to do with psychological investment in one's base/character or such as an actual entity in some way, but even games that have no stake whatsoever in people changing their build/stat points/skill points tend to put a limiter on the mechanic. Short version: free-for-all = people stop playing faster or don't actually enjoy themselves as much.

-If we slap a gold price on it, that puts additional gold spender vs. non-gold spender imbalance into things. This is less true in MW than some of the other games, but the ability to swap stats around at will is still potentially a pretty big advantage (moreso than getting a really good reward unit, over time). That was actually the original reason we never put the feature into any of the games as a mechanic; back in the early days of Crime City, being able to swap energy vs. stamina vs. attack/defense at will would have been a HUGE advantage. Again, this is potentially less so now.

Additionally, there is some serious reluctance to muck around with skill point resets after the debacle in the Facebook version of Crime City a couple of years ago. We gave out a one-time skill reset to everyone in the game, and that led to about 300 tickets a day from people asking/begging/demanding further skill point resets and a LOT of associated unhappiness in the playerbase that would never have happened if we had not done that at all. This leads to some level of reluctance on time-locked skill point resets (i.e. once a month) or one-time skill point resets, which is another potential thing that has been floated as an option that avoids some of the above concerns.

So, the short version is that the actual result would be uncertain, the implementation method isn't intuitive, AND we had a major problem from them previously. That's why there's currently no skill point reset mechanic in the game. Right now, you make the choices that you do in regards to skills, you play with what you have, and the differences aren't so great that one "build" is just obviously better than everything else. If we add a new feature to the game that hugely changes the effects of points spent in one skill or another, we will probably revisit. But until then it is probably not something that is going to happen.
    CJ, you either have no idea or the many words are what they are: Bs (pardon me)
    Yours,
    Unlike many think, we do not touch the world, we hover it.
    If you understand this, you love physics.

Post Count
    Yet another way GREE has punished long time/high level players. Many of us started and were led to believe we needed to have skill points in the attack and defense columns in order to be well rounded. I myself had over 200 pts in both def/attack each long before FLTQs were introduced. If I suddenly (and other players in a similar situation) suddenly had an extra 4k energy, then yes it would mean less gold buying. So I wholeheartedly agree with Ferr. Some of the decision making process about all this, by the powers that be, had to have been along these lines, as the proof is in the pudding with all the other recent happenings. More and more events, requiring more and more gold...this clearly shows that there is a one track mind running things. Here's a hint...$$$$$$
    Once upon a time led a Top 25 Faction, now...

Banned
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaebee View Post
    Yet another way GREE has punished long time/high level players. Many of us started and were led to believe we needed to have skill points in the attack and defense columns in order to be well rounded. I myself had over 200 pts in both def/attack each long before FLTQs were introduced. If I suddenly (and other players in a similar situation) suddenly had an extra 4k energy, then yes it would mean less gold buying. So I wholeheartedly agree with Ferr. Some of the decision making process about all this, by the powers that be, had to have been along these lines, as the proof is in the pudding with all the other recent happenings. More and more events, requiring more and more gold...this clearly shows that there is a one track mind running things. Here's a hint...$$$$$$
    Well said, very clear explanation.
    Why would anyone quibble with your logic?
    Personally, whatever happens, happens.
    I don't expect to see much unity on these points, but I'll do my part.

Master of Musings
    Post Count
    Here's the skinny guys. If you don't already know, the attack and deff points made a big diff early on in the game. Energy was of limited use in the game. Then gree began handing out huge stat units from the map missions( where ferr originally became so strong) then they began events where energy was of more importance. They made changes to attack and raid values, in addition to how much affect the attack and deff skill points gave. Based in current data, you would max all your points to energy. We all gain an advantage, right? Wrong. All that would happen is that total energy required for events would be increased to compensate. Then more changes would be implemented where maybe attack and deff mattered again. I doubt it, but I also don't have a crystal ball to tell. Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed ump View Post
    Here's the skinny guys. If you don't already know, the attack and deff points made a big diff early on in the game. Energy was of limited use in the game. Then gree began handing out huge stat units from the map missions( where ferr originally became so strong) then they began events where energy was of more importance. They made changes to attack and raid values, in addition to how much affect the attack and deff skill points gave. Based in current data, you would max all your points to energy. We all gain an advantage, right? Wrong. All that would happen is that total energy required for events would be increased to compensate. Then more changes would be implemented where maybe attack and deff mattered again. I doubt it, but I also don't have a crystal ball to tell. Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it.
    I wish they would make atk/def skills relevant again. I have 140 atk and 165 def!!! I read somewhere (may not be true) that the formula was to take base attack score + atk skill pts * 10.
    1400 points adds nothing to an attack score in the millions.
    Last edited by Systematrix; 03-14-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: grammar
    Through chaos comes clarity

CJ, you either have no idea or the many words are what they are: Bs (pardon me)
    Yours,
    With respect, I've been here for every discussion that we have had on this all the way back to the issue in Crime City FB that I mentioned. It's not about direct revenue, it is about the problems balancing what the change would actually cause. You are free to have a different opinion, but that different opinion happens to be incorrect in this case.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed ump View Post
    There's a slight flaw with that thinking though Speed. Players who were NOT already high level (many not even created at that point) when FLTQs were brought on, had the distinct advantage of knowing where to put all their skill points when leveling. As I said, this is another one that affects more the long time, high level guys. Those of us who were already > Lv 200 or so at the advent of FLTQs, have absolutely been at a disadvantage. I would bet there are many level 100-150 guys who have a total energy that is equal or greater than mine, and I'm twice their level. I know I'm not the only one here.

Also, I would agree they (A/D skill points) made a slight difference, but don't think it was a "big" difference, even way back when.
    Once upon a time led a Top 25 Faction, now...