GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: understanding a handheald videogame as compared to military conflict

Main Game
    Modern War
    Post Count

understanding a handheald videogame as compared to military conflict

I've been seeing some spitting out a "there's no rules in war," or "in war, X will happen" to justify some people's outrageous behavior in this little game where you tap a screen.

So just to be perfectly clear, this is a mobile device game where you tap on a screen; at home while you are in the can, or on the couch. It is not a deployment to a third-world country to do whatever political objective is needed by your nation's leadership. You are not being asked to actively kill another human being either in offensive operations, or protect person, property, and terrain in defensive operations. There is no risk of you ending up in a body bag because your friend failed do do his job in combat.

Those that claim that there are "no rules in war" have never been in war, and when there are no rules in war, the atrocities are so horrifying as to deform peoples bodies and minds for merely observing the aftermath. And that's not mentioning the victims of war atrocities (Google Image search "war atrocity" if you want to lose your appetite). You are texting each other quick messages and joking around, getting angry about the competition on your glitchy game.

This is called team sports...not "war." Most of us are familiar with team sports, and we have experience in acting as a responsible person within the social construct of a team, and then in competition. We typically trust our team mates to participate in the spirit of the competition, and we respect the competition to be concentrating on beating us on equal terms.

This is where the story of the sleeper cell in Hot Toddy made me upset, and then sad. SUPer Poone Pounder befriended and duped TKO/Hot Toddy in order to infiltrate and then destroy this experience for the other members on the unsuspecting team. Gaining trust, he was accepted, and Poone was in the faction in a position of trust. But the funny thing was, that TKO broke up for streak teams, and the sleeper cell could go along for the ride, because SUP wasn't threatened on their #1 spot with the split teams.

But this had become personal, this operation was to punish anyone associated with "penguins" no matter how long ago that had ended. Dropping allies to become a punching bag to sabotage any wins allowed this vulnerability to be exploited, but then driving the team to the deep pocket spenders and the source of the sleeper was too much for me. An in-your-face humiliation.

I understand competition; I have competed at high levels, as well as pick-up games for fun and exercise. In all of my competitive play, and I'm sure that some of you may know what I am talking about, I have always despised the ultra competitors. The guys at the company picnic that are super loud, obnoxious and very quick to point out all of the fouls on the court, and argue 5 minutes about it with the volunteer referee. The city softball team that has no issues arguing a clear call against them, as if just to bully them. But none of them deliberately sabotage their opponents. No one has food poisoned a player to keep them out of a game; nobody slashed the tires of the team van to force a forfeit; nobody joined the team to be the exact instrumentality of the team's defeat.

Whenever I meet the ultra competitors, I try to avoid them as much as possible...that is not my style of game at the moment; I want to have fun. But to hear of betrayals of trust like this, it shocks the conscience. Neither the means nor the ends are justified...this was a mission to hurt someone in their wallet and in their spirit. This is not war, this is a mobile device game with a military theme...it might as well be competitive angry birds.

Those that perpetrated this betrayal of trust, you folks are not heroes, you are tools, liars, and con artists with an underlying sociopath condition. You have spoiled potential friendships in this community by shaking trust, the friendships being the only thing this poorly maintained and glitchy game has going for it. I hope you have fun with your big pixels when this place is cobwebs and tumbleweeds from driving off the high rollers that fund the servers.

Many are wising up too, but that is a topic for another thread.

P.S. To Gree: The medals sucked last time, and they suck this time. Especially as posted rewards in a 25-crate event--love the stats 0/0--nobody knows what kind of units come from earning the medals at intervals, and that adds a layer of confusion for decision making, which was probably the intent. Don't try and improve, because you'll probably make up something even worse and more gold intensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I feel sorry for those who post and complain, seriously guys you are wasting your time.
    Just sit back and watch Rome burn.

Post Count
    Amen monsieur Robespierre

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Fully agree. Well done.

They need to more closely align their alter-ego ethics with ethical reality.

If the pixilated characters, the pixilated units and the name of the game was different this could just as easily be a game about lolly-pops and pretty things. They ought to give themselves a really good shake and wake up. "This is war" - Please don't insult our intelligence with statements like that. They have not been closer to war than the evening news.

I have just commenced reading a study into online gaming that was only released today. It is a stunning report but will take some time to digest.

The sad aspect of all of this is that the Company may become further tainted by it. The other sad aspect (based on moderators comments) is that it's an acceptable practice; should I have understood them correctly.

That's the concerning part for me as a consumer. Where now is that line in the sand. Is my spend really that safe from this type of behaviour that in RL is tortious. Is online somehow exempt from the law of torts.
    Last edited by Ysae Kaeps ASU; 01-01-2014 at 03:41 AM.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Well written and well reasoned Robespierre. I must say that as a veteran I was offended at many comments that I read that compared this game to actual war and the people who said there are no rules of conduct. There are rules, the punishments for violating them quite dire. Not to mention the mentality of the people who would act in violation of those rules... would these be the type of people you would spend your leisure time with, socialize with? Yes, this is a game, the consequences of treasonous acts and heinous actions are not life altering devastation. But the bigger picture is that when we accept certain behaviors in smaller things, we begin to accept them in larger. I, for one, do not wish to live in a morally bankrupt society.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Well said MAW, you have every right to be offended.

Post Count
    Great post but none of those guys are gona grow a conscience...
    Last edited by Urbz; 01-01-2014 at 05:45 AM.
    "You can never fall too hard, so fast, so far
    That you can't get back when you lost"

Post Count
    The most eloquent post that I have ever read here Robespierre. Bravo.
    Modern War
    IOS - Agent Orange - ID 863 440 860
    Free player
    Playing since 11/08/2011
    Level 240+

Android - Agent Orange -ID 179 321 004
    Free Player since 7/18/12
    Level 33+

War of Nations - Agent Orange - Quit the game
    Free Player since 5/30/13

Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    WOW. i agree with you on every word
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly's Voice View Post
    Gay syndicate you say? Been there, done that. 2013 called, it wants the Molly Maguires back.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count

Thank you.

Thank you for the post. Insightful, polite and direct.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Excellent thread, best post i have read

Post Count
    That is just about the most eloquent well reasoned post I have read here. Thank you for adding some well needed perspective for some of the correspondants here.

As a veteran myself and having served several tours in conflict zones around the world, the cry there are no rules in war is about as ignorant and crass as it gets. This is just a video game, no more, no less. During my time in conflict zones I was regulated by the Geneva convention and very clear rules of engagement set out in QR1.

The events that lead up to you writing this post are the actions of spoiled children for whom the only thing that matters is getting their own way regardless of the cost to others. This is just a silly little game in the grand scheme of things.

Once again thanks it was a pleasure reading this well balanced piece and please keep up with providing a balanced view of things.

Post Count
    A friendly bump for a hope to conquer some ignornace. Well put.

Who doesn't want CDR Shepard as an ally? 543 668 387 - If you're not an ally, you're a rival!

LoW Recruiting! http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...95#post1235395

Post Count
    Agree with all of the comments above supporting this as a phenomenal post by the op

Post Count
    Actually mentioning "rules" and "third world countries" in the same context can be achieved only by sitting on your couch or on the can tapping a phone.

There are no rules in a war. Actually there are as long as you are winning. Once you start losing or the thought of losing crosses your mind- there are no rules. And don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Banned
    Post Count

SUP, DIRTY PLAY, BRUTUS, JUDAS, BENEDICT ARNOLD & Tyler

All of them are in the same boat. SUP should understand that this is a video game and not live in such fear. Brutus killed his best friend and was in return, killed. Judas, had one of his best friends killed, and he hung himself due to severe guilt. Benedict Arnold was discovered for being a traitor and was killed for his actions.. So SUP, figure it out on your own.

Yes, to answers from SUP Stinno and SUP Rules, we are aware of the war tactics. It's quite clear and understood. One point that you SUPsters forget is that every nation who has been compromised by such a traitor, has the right and opportunity to execute it's found traitor. We, unfortunately do not have that option. You hide behind GREE's skirt because you can get away with it. You fear facing us on the battlefield, straight up. The SUP nation are like little boys with rocks. You throw them then hide behind mommy's skirt. Poor children.

In response to Gene..... Did I send Corey to GSF? NO. Did Corey interview with Animal to get into GSF on his own? Yes. Did I ask Corey to rogue declare on GSF? NO. Would Corey do that to GSF? NO
    Did I put in writing that was putting Corey into GSF to Gene? YES, I fully admit that. It was done for the intent purpose to expose Gene's secret liaison with GSF. In fact, Corey is an officer of GSF. I don't think animal and Shaun would such a traitor to now be an officer of an elite faction. I think you guys should go sell Crazy, somewhere else. Plus anyone listening to you, Gene and Stephen, and believe what you purport to be true, then you have some individuals who should reconsider some education.

And Yes, gene discussed his strategy with Stephen in this newest episode in Cuba with Hot Toddy, aka TKO. Did leadership know in SUP? Yes. Did EVERY Member or officer know? NO. You can't have plausible Deniability if you share too much info to too many people.

In addition, Tyler or aka Brutus not only rogue declared but he did it in coordination with gene and the SUP nation. It was well coordinated and well communicated. Then Brutus dropped his allies to 30, so all of GSF and SUP2 could have a juicy target. Without Brutus, they could never win against our strong defense

Lastly, if you as a MW WAR COMMUNITY and as the SUP nation allow this and accept these actions with a non chalant glance, then you will be subject to the same tactics and the money and time you've spent won't be so glib, as you view it on us. These tactics, if condoned by MW and Sup continue, the game will end and explode. At that point, I think your glib and non chalantness will disappear.

This is not over. I will come back with TKO with a vengeance. We will be a JUGGERNAUGHT dispute your fear and dirty, low handed tactics

THE RIPPER

Sent from my iPad