What is the point of the game? - Page 2

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the point of the game?

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    It's a game. Like every other game, we play to have fun and have something to do in our down time.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade of 3 View Post
    It's a game. Like every other game, we play to have fun and have something to do in our down time.
    The fun is ebbing away with the constant individual and faction events containing simple mindless tapping. I have seriously scaled back and prefer to spend my time on better games that cost considerably less to play and are just as much fun, if not more as they require a bit more thought and strategy than just tapping a button to attack or raid another player. The time it takes to play is also far too excessive with constant pressure "to play or get left behind", especially with the constant stats inflation and I really don't care for it anymore.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ-navy View Post
    We spend gold, stay up to make streaks happen. For what? What is the purpose if there is no end?, we
    keep going for what? To increase stats, IPH, for what purpose, we get no closer to maybe being number 1, or any closer, bank accounts gets less, with nothing that can be bragged or shared about, unless with other MW lovers, but still what is the real purpose?
    For me it has always been having fun without spending any money...... much to the chagrin of the folks at Gree
    Modern War
    IOS - Agent Orange - ID 863 440 860
    Free player
    Playing since 11/08/2011
    Level 240+

Android - Agent Orange -ID 179 321 004
    Free Player since 7/18/12
    Level 33+

War of Nations - Agent Orange - Quit the game
    Free Player since 5/30/13

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    The fun is ebbing away with the constant individual and faction events containing simple mindless tapping. I have seriously scaled back and prefer to spend my time on better games that cost considerably less to play and are just as much fun, if not more as they require a bit more thought and strategy than just tapping a button to attack or raid another player. The time it takes to play is also far too excessive with constant pressure "to play or get left behind", especially with the constant stats inflation and I really don't care for it anymore.
    I agree but why do you continue to play then? On a personal note I play because it's the only app that won't bore me in a week. The wars are pretty fun too even through the are very time consuming.
    KELLHOUNDS top 50 faction
    recruitment thread:
    http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...44#post1267044

Consistent Contributor fofito30's Avatar
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer59 View Post
    Lol....I sometimes ask the very same thing! Escape? Social? Was going to say intellectual, but that does seem right. Problem resolution?

For me, I started the faction and I'm committed to the individuals who have demonstrated loyalty and dedication to the team. The individuals far outweigh the game itself.
    Couldn't agree more with you. Over 2 years there been ups and downs, moments to question the why spend real money to buy fake gold, why stay overnight on a weekend glued to a tablet to secure a W or score points to help your team, even to finish an LTQ that may give that competitive edge. Only good answer for all that is the friendships made over time with the comrades you share time in the faction and even those moments when foes raid and attack you to show there always are bigger fishes in the pond.

Post Count
    I think I am playing more out of habit than anything else. I have been playing this game for two years. The faction play has helped stoke my interest but truly I must admit that I question myself constantly about why I continue to play. While I have spent very little money on MW I have wasted countless hours tapping away. I think we all know that there is no real way to either win or lose this game...you can't be destroyed...your base can't be destroyed. The only end is when you decide to quit.
    MW ID: Watash 435 054 538

Steady Scribe
    Post Count
    The point of any game is to win. Beat a rival in an attack or raid, hope you don't get attacked or raided by someone else. Problem is, you can't win. No matter how strong you are just take some time off and you fall behind. It appears the only way you beat the game is to walk away from it. The factions have kept me interested, but I'm starting to question friendships if I never really see the people, share a drink or a meal or actually spend face time with them. That's not really a friendship. It's someone I share some game time with. But if they were my neighbor and there was no game, would I really hang out with them. There are no fat, ugly, boring people in the virtual world. There are at my neighbors house...

Banned
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    The point of any game is to win. Beat a rival in an attack or raid, hope you don't get attacked or raided by someone else. Problem is, you can't win. No matter how strong you are just take some time off and you fall behind. It appears the only way you beat the game is to walk away from it. The factions have kept me interested, but I'm starting to question friendships if I never really see the people, share a drink or a meal or actually spend face time with them. That's not really a friendship. It's someone I share some game time with. But if they were my neighbor and there was no game, would I really hang out with them. There are no fat, ugly, boring people in the virtual world. There are at my neighbors house...
    That's a great additional point Sig.

Perhaps some have ACTUAL face to face real interaction, but 99%+ probably don't.

I have faction friendships but do I really know them.....I mean REALLY know them. Interesting to think about. Thank you.
    Last edited by Speak Easy; 12-12-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post

Feel sorry for you. My close faction mates share family photos, vacation stories and it's always open conversations. Some of us got lucky I guess.

Post Count
    Interesting and thought provoking thread going on here. I, like others, really enjoy interacting with my faction buddies and would almost certainly have quit the game without that many months ago. It is fascinating to me that I am communicating and playing with people all around the world. The different slang alone is worth the effort. I do have some reservations about actually declaring them my friends however,maybe just a difference in scale. I don't even know their real names, ages or much else beyond their home country. I know that I will never meet any of them face to face due to logistics if nothing else. I also know that if I quit the game tomorrow that would be the end of any contact at all and I would be forgotten within weeks or months. We have had significant turnover in my faction over the past months, people are quickly forgotten. On the other hand, I have lifelong friends here in Texas and other places who I see and talk to on a regular basis. I know them very well and they know me. I should mention that aged 67 I am clearly not part of the internet social phenomenon, however I do keep up with technology...own all the ipad's, iphones, MacBookPro etc. I actually have learned to prefer text to talk which really surprised me. I am also aware that people can be whoever they want to be in the virtual world. Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble on here. This is an ongoing experience for me....
    MW ID: Watash 435 054 538

Post Count
    IMO there is no "winning" this game. I have met some good folks and had fun/frustration. And parted ways with others too. Yes, I contemplate quitting. I don't spend $ on this game, at least not compared to trivial distractions in life. If you need to "win" something I would suggest this is not a good arena in which to focus. It is not healthy to foster a need to "dominate" or "win." But Gree will fuel your desire.

This game is a strange window to life, proceed with caution....

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    This game is runined read my signature!!!!! Modern war is dead
    Download the app Palringo. Join the group {B34ST CLAN}.......

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Yes, this is a game, and the psychology of gaming suggests that there must be a 'winner'. Define 'winner'.......

Think back to your first week playing Modern War. What was your goal? To answer my own question..my goal (which in my mind would make me a winner) was to simply never lose. Is that possible? Maybe...

There is no end-screen...grand finale...riding off into the sunset with the Princess....as this is what we all ultimately expect when playing a game. However, this isn't Super Mario..this is a new 'breed' of gaming...a fresh breed (IMHO).

"The only way to beat the game is to quit playing"....with all due respect...this is what quitters think. If we are not chasing a grand finale 'end screen'....then what are we chasing? The truth is.....if you are chasing anything...you are not beating this game. This game is about never losing. Never losing is beating the game....simple. This all comes back to not leveling up, but, continuing down the path of increasing your defense as to never be beaten. Again...is this possible?.....Absolutely.

Everyday I open Modern War, I beat it. Stop chasing the end-game, and return to your first week of playing....be stronger than everyone in your level bracket...it is that simple. However, if you chased the end game, and you are up there with Pirates.......................you've already lost. Great thread!!!

Banned
    Post Count
    I will merc you.

I've never seen anyone with no losses.

I have not identified a legitimate way to build strength in order to not be beaten, without gaining XP? How is that achieved?

I disagree that those who leave the game are losers. I would have thought they have great strength and have weighed up the positives of staying against going. If you no longer like a game or product and throw it out for something else in their life, how does that make them a loser. I would have thought they would effectively be losing if they didn't have the strength to move on wouldn't you?
    Last edited by Speak Easy; 12-13-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Speak Easy View Post
    I will merc you.

I've never seen anyone with no losses.

I have not identified a legitimate way to build strength in order to not be beaten, without gaining XP? How is that achieved?

I disagree that those who leave the game are losers. I would have thought they have great strength and have weighed up the positives of staying against going. If you no longer like a game or product and throw it out for something else in their life, how does that make them a loser. I would have thought they would effectively be losing if they didn't have the strength to move on wouldn't you?
    I also have never seen anyone with zero losses, but this game is not about zero losses. The reasons we do not see zero losses are many, but again, this isn't about zero losses....it is about never being beaten. Yes, I am contradicting myself, but for a good reason. We all suffered our first losses in our first few days.....does that mean that the game is no longer able to be beaten? Absolutely not.. This game is about time....not stats....not money.

I never said that the people who quit are losers....I said the people who quit are quitters. That is not being disrespectful...quitters quit, that is the definition

I have found in my two years that the players who 'quit', are the players who have chased stats from day one. Attack, attack, attack, raid, raid, raid, raid, attack, attack, attack........boom.....whale territory. Now, they have lost the drive to compete because they can't collect on any of their beloved $$$ buildings because they did not look where they were going...or, even worse, they leaned on their pocket books and....well.....that is the saddest story of them all.

"The only way to beat this game is to quit"..........no........the only way to beat this game is to continue playing the game....and the game is to never lose. Is it possible to retire with zero losses.....nope. Is it possible that I will not be defeated tomorrow......ABSOLUTELY That is my point. This is centered around time, not stats. Over the course of the past two years, I identified a legitimate way to build strength while minimizing XP, and my day-to-day enjoyment of this game is because of that very fact.

My goal from day 1 was to never lose. As a result, my defense is perfect.