Suggested opening moves for an economy base

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggested opening moves for an economy base

Post Count

Suggested opening moves for an economy base

EDIT 2013-10-29

I wrote this guide a few days after Modern War’s late November 2011 release. As such, it is likely significantly out of date when factoring hindsight and game changes over a two year span. Please verify information herein with contemporary forum posters. Please do not direct inquiries at me as I retired from the game as of February 2012 and am not privy to any activities since that time. See this post for comments.

Nation selection

UK (Sea Power) is probably the best end game option while China (Infantry) would be the best upfront. Germany (Ground Forces) and Russia (Air) would appear to be in the middle but are probably suboptimal options as sea units aren't significantly more expensive, if at all, and have the benefit of being more durable. I'd like to hear contrasting opinions. There's not much discussion on the topic, and I'm more of an authority on economics than PvP strategy.

Starter gold usage

You technically are not forced to expend gold during the tutorial. While the menu is locked, the timer is still active. Don't beat yourself up if you paid as there isn't anything one can do with the default 10 gold besides speeding up building (or buying a red maple tree). Gold usage for speeding up is max(int(minutes_remaining/12),1). Int() is the integer, or truncate, function, which means to chop off any decimal for a hard round down. For example, 24 minutes, 0 seconds will consume 2 gold (24/12 = 2) while 23 minutes, 59 seconds (23.983333 minutes) divided by 12 is 1.9986. Chop off the decimal and you'll end up at 1. Therefore, for maximum return on initial gold, use it to complete 10 buildings/upgrades with less than 24 minutes remaining. The earlier you use up the gold, the better, in terms of ROI. The max() function guarantees expenditure of at least one gold piece, even if there remains only one second of build time.

Money Building Spreadsheet

<link removed>

Getting started

Build the Barracks as instructed then immediately upgrade it to level 2, which will take an hour. Meanwhile, build two of each money building starting from the least expensive and trigger a land expansion as you will rapidly run out of space. Next, you'll need to get 25 allies onto your list in order to get the $1,000 visitor bonus from each. There aren't (yet) organized resources like there are for Crime City. I suggest harvesting this forum then browsing the comments of the users who accept. App Store reviews are another source. You shouldn't have a problem with getting to 25 in less than an hour, two tops, if you just keep adding numbers while the total is under 25. Make sure to actually visit them to get the bonus. As you collect, take the opportunity to practice using the "Vault" option as it is not automatic. CoachPappy suggests dumping all 10 gold into the VIP system, which will free the player to manage his base and visit automatically added allies. Most likely you will still need to add a healthy amount manually, however.

Once the Barracks finishes upgrading, immediately upgrade one of the Supply Depots, which will cost $1,670. It finishes in 6 minutes. Now mentally set aside $1,670 to upgrade the other Supply Depot and $2,790 to upgrade one to level 3, which takes 30 minutes. With the Supply Depot upgrade in motion and funds earmarked for the next ~40 minutes of upgrades, dump all your remaining cash into Engineers. Don't be shy. The 5-7 you'll be able to afford right now will adequately protect you from level 2 attackers, but they come fast in this game.

Soon you'll be rolling in cash. Your income per hour will exceed $13,000 after a little more than two hours invested. You'll get a significant amount of supplemental income by defending against attacks from players who forgot to vault their money. Next upgrades are the other Supply Depot to level 3, Armories to level 3, Storage Silos to level 3, Supply Depots to level 4. Keep packing on the Engineers. You'll want a minimum of 2x defense to your top rival's attack. Then up that to 3x to give the middle finger to the constant wave of attackers. Don't worry about the high casualty ranking. With so many Engineers you'll totally overrun the opposition and keep them all. 15 Engineers is a good starter amount for levels 2-4, but with the constant wave of attacks you may level up when not paying attention so it helps to be prepared. After 15 Engineers it is recommended to switch to Transports. Modern War allows five allies per level and four units per ally. Worked out, that means up to 20 units at level 1, 40 at level 2, 60 at level 3 and so on.

Once you've set up base camp, so to speak, it's up to you. You have a lot of breathing room as long as you avoid PvP, questing, and goal accomplishment. Fortunately the War Factory isn't awfully useful in the early going, as it is a goal. The rest is wide open, though. I suggest proceeding in this order: always be upgrading money buildings, expand territory to fit all the available money buildings then construct them, add to the vault max, add more land to fit unit buildings then construct them. Remember to build new money buildings as your level is forced higher due to defending attacks. Stockpile powerful units until satisfied then move on.

Note that game mechanics have changed significantly since this guide was created so some items may no longer apply.
    Last edited by Tramp Stamp; 10-29-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Very nice guide! I did somewhat similar to this and have an economy rated at 47k/hour at level 8. Most of my money buildings are level 3-5 now. I've noticed there are no non-gold money buildings between level 8 and level 12 and I was considering staying here to level my current buildings some more before moving on.

The main difference in our paths is that I did not add allies early, and bought four transports (1:8, but defense of 9 for UK) to maximize my early defense. Attackers were maybe 50% successful anyway, but I kept little unvaulted cash around to compensate. I've finally added some allies in the past few hours, after I had accumulated a few dozen transports/frigates (all defense 8) it seemed almost silly not to. However, my crop of rivals apparently can't resist trying for my cash on hand - I doubt any of them have any clue that my vault is protecting most or all of it. These constant attacks will probably push me up a few levels quickly since i win them all. I may have to rethink having allies for the moment. I was hoping to proceed toward the next crop of money buildings and upgrades with a much higher vault, but the vault expansion is taking forever (working on the 48 hours to 100k) and I may just have to hope i can protect my money with a high defense instead.
    CC: Crimer (lvl 116)
    CC: Keyser Soze (lvl 108)

Verbose Veteran whocareswhatmynameis's Avatar
    Post Count
    agree with post. i don't have enough experience to comment on which nation has the advantage.

in addition to what you stated, i wanted to add:

... and don't forget to upgrade your bank!!!

serves 2 purposes:
    1) enables you to keep your money safe from rivals as you save for unit/building purchases and, interestingly
    2) lures weaker rivals to attack you since they can't figure out if the cash is in the bank or not (i have been pleasantly surprised on several occasions by cash gifts left by my enemies as they lose fights)
    (updated mar 16 2012)
    CrimeCity: joined 176 days ago; lvl: 124; size: 695; att/def: 25875/31785; $238,993/hr; qwikster --- 783 445 600

ModernWar: AWOL

Post Count
    Transports are strong. They make a good substitution for players reading this guide after the fact and need buffing at levels 5-15. I'd still recommend Engineers in the first few hours to ward off early losses, but after getting to ~15 I'd say it's up to the player whether to keep packing them on or move on to higher defense units. Even at 60 def, the player should double the best rival's attack value, and the attacker is probably smart enough to avoid people like those who pack on Engineers/Transports.

If you wanted to be sneaky about it, you could add a bunch of allies, visit them for the bonus, delete them then wash, rinse, repeat, but that's awfully tedious for a minimal edge. Plus the supply isn't as great when compared to Crime City and some of them would get annoyed at adding the same dude over and over again. I guess you could add then delete just once. The extra $25,000 in the first hour grants a huge edge.

I, too, was struck by how long vault expansions take. I've been doing it since about the first few minutes of the game and have a measly 50k capacity, which is less than 2 hours income.
    Last edited by Tramp Stamp; 12-05-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Totally agree about the vault. One of my earliest goals was to be capable of supporting all three types of upgrades at all times: Buildings, Vault, Expansion.

Generating the money for those is not a problem, but holding the money needed for all three types was slightly problematic for me with my no-allies path - this should be considered a factor in favor of Tramp Stamp's recommendation. Eventually the vault had grown and the various upgrade times get so long that there's little overlap. Time is the limiting factor from very early on, and looks to be that way as far out as I can see. ALWAYS be upgrading all three, regardless of need.
    Last edited by downrange; 12-05-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I keep re-editing - one more for clarity

Post Count
    wupuck had it right in another thread: the vault is a nifty back door method of generating more action between players. Funzio wants you to have the upgrades but they also want to expose more of your cash than what happens in Crime City. I guess they didn't expect nearly everyone to take the 10% hit on every last dollar. The implications are that the player should be constantly spending money to remain under the radar. Popeye asked me how I was able to remain "hidden"; maybe it was because I was constantly funneling cash into upgrades, buildings (any of them, even if I didn't need them), vault increases, and land expansion (again, even if I didn't exactly need it at the moment). Now it gets tough as I need to upgrade the unit buildings to access the higher ticket purchases but that takes away from money buildings, but stockpiling cash promotes attacks...

P.S. I just lost my first Engineer. Guess it's time to move to Transports. I wish I had picked UK. I'm not a fan of this practice of forcing the player to make an uninformed decision then trying to get $5 out of him once data becomes available.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    I've already lost one Transport, to a successfully defended attack, but was weak relative to my rivals list at that time. I had 5 or more at the time and only 4 in play, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Just annoying that i took a 15k loss as a result of someone's utterly futile attempt to grab at my fully-vaulted 50k at the time.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Oops, my mistake. I just double checked that and i did lose the fight when I lost that Transport. My rival got a whopping 0 money though.

Post Count
    I won the fight, but I had a ridiculous 70 Engineers at level 4. I wouldn't be surprised if I was past the game's "sweet spot" in terms of how it calculates attrition. I can't check his stats, but I'm pretty sure I outclassed him by at least 10:1.

Post Count
    I should note that, at least with levels 1-4, the rivals list is a slop bucket where people with 2 allies comingle with guys with 15 so I don't think adding allies early makes a difference. This could easily change if this game picks up and becomes more popular and/or more people adopt strategies like what was outlined here.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    I think the vault is one of the [sadly few] things they got right in this successor to CC. You're spot on with the comment that the 10% banking hit on unlimited money was more imbalancing than the devs likely anticipated. This helped allow even the most extremely weak players to squirrel away money for capital improvements that otherwise could've been exposed to stronger players while it was being accumulated. They may have over-compensated with the massively-incrementing build times on the Vault upgrades, but I am only 3 days in, so I will state that cautiously for now.

As for where to funnel the money... I'm hitting that as well, which is why I'm frustrated by the low vault level relative to my other economic progress. The devs likely want that though. Big gold buyers undoubtedly want action at all levels, and one of them at my level would just love to come across me as I'm saving for a massive building upgrade that's 2 or 3 or [very soon, now] many many times the limit of my vault.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Actually, my experience with rivals list in levels 1-4 was less variable. Nobody over an ally count of 1 ever saw/sees me. That's actually key to that low ally strategy. I can see the occasional couple of rivals with lots of allies, but they don't see me.

I haven't posted yet about my still-lvl-3 account, so here goes. Turtling that one has been surprisingly successful so far. There are one or two risks I can think up for this strategy, but so far it's been completely under the radar with a perfect record, attacks have completely dropped off after 10 successful defends, and it also has an economy rated at 40+k/hour. It already has the Dry Docks (second level of ship facility) under construction and many hundreds of thousands waiting to be used on dry dock upgrades and/or advanced sea units. All three upgrade types have been running full time. If things continue as well as they have been, all the additional cash that i unfortunately can't currently reinvest into raw economic base will be going into dry dock upgrades and just enough very high cost ships for a one ally character to be near unattackable for at least as long as it takes to carry a few million into the rest of the early levels and dump it into those buildings/upgrades. That's my current situation and hope; I'll see if it pans out.

Post Count
    That's interesting. What's your opinion on the hit 'n run ally bonus tactic? Valuable for the 1st hour bonus or too risky even in the short term for the reward?

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    I considered it too risky, though it probably actually isn't. Really, i just didn't need it. With almost no need or reason to pour money into units, I had plenty available from those early laundry^H^H^H^H^H supply depots and other massively high ROI buildings, that i don't recall having much of an early cash flow issue. If i waited for the cash for an early upgrade or two it would've been very short lived. While I certainly don't like any sub-optimal path, reality is that an early half hour wait at a spot or two is easily justified away with "well i didn't even download the game for a couple whole DAYS that it was first available [in the US]". =)

Post Count
    A note about the guide is that it doesn't reflect exactly what I did but what I should have done in hindsight. The 7 losses attributed to me were due to being slow about pursuing defensive upgrades. Initially I figured that level 1-2 players would be too busy leveling up by questing and completing goals to participate in PvP, but that was erroneous, at least in my case. The $25k bonus is really a panic move to get the Engineers going while not sacrificing growth of Laundro^L Supply Depots. As you said, the cash flow issue is transient, easily solvable by a 1 hour infusion. I guess if it were to be codified, one should start his game somewhere around, well, now, when most of U.S. and Europe are asleep. I think I started my game somewhere around 8 PM EST, which I think is worldwide peak time.