Seven Steps to Breaking Your GREE Game Addiction

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Seven Steps to Breaking Your GREE Game Addiction

Banned
    Post Count

***BEFORE YOU READ ON*** READ THIS PARAGRAPH.
    If this is something you've been thinking about and you want to stop playing GREE games, here is some advice. If not, simply DON'T read on as its not for you. (This is not a place to troll) Thanks

1) Acknowledge the purpose.
    Why do you do it? You have to be able to answer that question. Is it to help you deal with anxiety and stress? It may be hard for you to admit that you have a gaming problem, but you can't change what you don't acknowledge. Ask yourself, "What purpose does the behaviour serve for you? Admit to yourself: 'I'm throwing myself into this addictive game for anxiety, depression and pain. It numbs me to life.'"

2) Think rational thoughts instead of denial.
    You understand at a conscious level, at an intellectual level that your addiction is unhealthy, yet you continue and this perplexes you. Think about this, "If you're in denial about it, if you're minimizing it, if you're trivializing it, if you're conning yourself about it, then you'll never get where you need to be." If you can't get through the day without a tap of Kingdom Age or any other GREE game, you may be medicating yourself for anxiety, depression or pain. You may need to count on others to help you think rationally.

3) Use alternative coping skills.
    People don't break bad habits; they replace them with new ones. Recognize that you get a reward from playing Kingdom Age. "It calms you. It takes your anxiety away. It lifts your spirits. It numbs you to the pain of your life. If I take that away from you and then don't put anything in its place, then you're just there stripped of your coping mechanisms and you're going to go back to what you were doing before." Some alternative techniques to consider to replace your addiction are breathing exercises or relaxation techniques... or to put it bluntly, simply get of your arse and socialize with people whether that be your community of friends you’ve built online here or in your surrounding physical environment. Either way, find a better form of entertainment where you money actually counts to something constructive in your life and someone else’s life.

4) Identify your danger zones.
    A danger zone can be a particular time of day or your reaction to a particular circumstance. There are times that you're more prone to indulge in your habit of playing Kingdom Age. Recognize what those times are, and do something that is incompatible with the addiction you're trying to break. "If you get through that two or three moments of impulse, I promise you it will go away." You don't have to be strong and powerful all day long every day. You just need to recognize your danger zones, and do something incompatible with your addiction.

5) Make lifestyle changes.

"It's not willpower, it's programming," You have to set your life up for success if you're going to break your addiction. If you're trying to stop Playing Kingdom Age try simple things like deleting the game completely from your phone or iPad. You may have to change the devices you use. The best way to stop an addiction is to not have access to it.

6) Be accountable and have a support system.
    Being accountable to someone means that that person will not only support you, but will give you the kick in the rear that you need when it gets tough and tell you the truth when you're kidding yourself. Get your family and friends involved in your efforts to kick the habit. You need to find a community that supports you during this time and embraces your decision to quit. You may also need to seek treatment or check into a rehabilitative program.

7) Reward yourself.
    Overcoming an addiction can be very difficult, but it can be done. When you see yourself making progress, even baby steps, you have to motivate yourself to keep going. Give yourself credit. Reward yourself for every step you make, starting with admitting that you have a problem and asking for help.

Finally...
    Above all know your limits. If you find yourself exceeding them, then that’s the perfect time to hang up the boots.

I wish you all the best in life

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Well Done Proprioc3ption !

I wish the very best in RL!

Also backing up your post, Nicely posted by our other forum member:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/195806/

I think it's time people start opening their eyes and be realistic what really is going on now a days.

We only get more and more events/quests, but nothing is being fixed, so many bugs in this game, I surely believe GREE games are the number one related to bugs in their events!

Is this coinsidence? I don't think so anymore, I start to believe that this is all in their plan, GREE learned from their gambling games and brought the findings over into their other games! all addiction related.

Thanks!

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    If you are serious about quitting. You can pray to God, Jesus Christ, to help you quit or if you are Catholic, the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God aswell can help you. You can read the Holy Bible to learn about the Work of God for your Eternal Salvation. You can go to gym and work out, can go swimming, go to the beach, go hiking, join a church, climb a hill, climb a mountain, climb a higher mountain. Lots of stuff to do, just use your imagination. Learn how to draw, paint, sing, dance, have a picnic, relax.
    Heroes: Jesus Christ

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Hammer! Right on ...

Steady Scribe
    Post Count
    Its going to take a lot of will power to quit a habit. More so for people who have invested far more time and money into this game than others.

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Proprioc3ption View Post

5) Make lifestyle changes.[/I]
    try simple things like deleting the game completely from your phone or iPad. You may have to change the devices you use. The best way to stop an addiction is to not have access to it.
    To me this is key. Unfortunately yes it's possible to go back to the App store etc...but the temptation of something being in front of you (whether it be an app/game/ex's number etc is far greater than having to physically go and re-download it etc.

Nice post Hammer, good luck to you buddy!

Paint the World Black With Us.
    Dragon Realms 840-064-428

Kingdom Age Ally Code- 734-077-018

Dragon Realms Ally Code- 911-214-292
    Dragon Realms Guild Code - 840-064-428

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Well said, and given the state of the game and the forum, well timed.
    Best of luck in RL.

Banned
    Post Count
    Not to be cliche but admitting you have a problem is step 1. Gabriel is right that a lie fulfilled by our Creator and King gives us a perspective that should make quitting easier.

That being said it also important to recognize that one reason these games are additive is because you were designed to be busy, creative and productive. All of the mechanisms that draw and trap you to these games are part of your desire to live out your purpose. I think it's important not to beat yourself up about the negative aspects of spending to much time in the game, but rather accept that your skills crave to live within you. Once you realize the great potential of your design, and accept where that comes from, you will find it much easier to look for real world applications of your talents.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Randy View Post
    That being said it also important to recognize that one reason these games are additive is because you were designed to be busy, creative and productive. All of the mechanisms that draw and trap you to these games are part of your desire to live out your purpose. I think it's important not to beat yourself up about the negative aspects of spending to much time in the game, but rather accept that your skills crave to live within you. Once you realize the great potential of your design, and accept where that comes from, you will find it much easier to look for real world applications of your talents.
    GREAT addition to Hammer's incredible post.

Congratulations on winning the game, Hammer. It takes a lot of strength to fight back against an addiction like this one, any addiction, really, but especially one like this that most of the world does not recognize as an addiction like any other. And though my words are apparently now totally worthless to at least a few very vocal people on this forum, I nevertheless want to say that am very proud of you, and admire your success in kicking the habit. If it means something to you, I am glad. If not, please don't tell me how little my opinion matters. I am getting so thoroughly bashed these days I don't think my sensitive heart can take any more.

All your manor are belong to us.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    in before the lock as gree is definitely getting rid of this post

Post Count
    As in all things moderation and balance are key. For some that balance has gone and moderation has given way to obsession. When it becomes too expensive or has a detrimental effect on relationships or well being, then hammers' advice is worthy of consideration and self reflection.

Otherwise it is just a game, and for gamers that is their hobby. For those of us who played Avalon Hill/SPI or D&D for a weekend without sleep nothing has changed.

Mickaleus

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Excellent, Just excellent. I may need to go to KAA myself. My Name is Sir Stinkyballs and I am an Addict

Post Count
    As usual a great post Prop, i have been travelling down this road for a while and now need to spend some Real Life Time with my family and Kids, its time to step back and get back to reality ! this is why i am only doing Wars from here on as i will not match top players anymore, but can have a weekend of play every 3 weeks will be sufficient, until its too much again, then follow yourself Prop, good luck