Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Thread: The GM Thread

The GM Thread

What makes a good GM? Do people stay in guilds where they don't like the GM? Why/Why not?
    Obviously I can come off strong & a lot of people on coalition "get me" as they've been around awhile; though I am curious how I may come off to newcomers. I have a detailed strat guide I edit before every war, I do HC promotions for Epic Boss faster than most of my HCs & always demote far more often than my sent/champ, so they can promo when I'm not around. Personally, I think it comes down to straight numbers. I claim to lead the #1 guild & I back it up.

As I was writing this thread, we matched up with DPA for 4th battle.

Should a GM be one of the higher point scorers in each war? Are you carrying your GM, or even your entire guild? I hope not.

Open thoughts welcome!

MaJestic Solo
    Guild: Majestic Lv75

In a perfect world, everyone would tow the line.

I live in an imperfect world

Detailed strat guide...

Spend all your money! FTW!

congrats i guess.

I am the gm of exiled. Mostly non gem spending guild, but currently ranked 234, and finished 480 in the fist weekend war, so I like to think we are highly competitive.
    My main is never top scorer for two reasons, I kill the sentinel and then I kill the guardian. I d not spend gems to refill my atk bar.

I often have 1-2 alts in the guild depending on how many actives we have and usually finish in the top 3 points wise with at least 1 of them.
    Replicatorz lvl 140+. Leader of Exiled, lvl 24+ Android guild.

Quote Originally Posted by LnL Magneto View Post
    Detailed strat guide...

Spend all your money! FTW!

congrats i guess.
    Someone's got the Jackalope blues

Quote Originally Posted by -Solo- View Post
    +1 for DX
    I repeat, I did NOT sleep with that intern... I was up all night long!

Busteroaf
    Retired
    Beer: Give your brain the night off

Our GM bakes us muffins.

Quote Originally Posted by Eunuchorn View Post
    What makes a good GM? Do people stay in guilds where they don't like the GM? Why/Why not?
    Obviously I can come off strong & a lot of people on coalition "get me" as they've been around awhile; though I am curious how I may come off to newcomers. I have a detailed strat guide I edit before every war, I do HC promotions for Epic Boss faster than most of my HCs & always demote far more often than my sent/champ, so they can promo when I'm not around. Personally, I think it comes down to straight numbers. I claim to lead the #1 guild & I back it up.

As I was writing this thread, we matched up with DPA for 4th battle.

Should a GM be one of the higher point scorers in each war? Are you carrying your GM, or even your entire guild? I hope not.

Open thoughts welcome!
    Interesting question.

This is my thought of what makes a good GM.
    A GM is a captain of the ship, and their main responsibility is to lead and manage.

As a leader, your main tasks is to manage the guild, and steer your crew towards a particular goal (e.g win #1 in gw). I don't think the GM should be the 'best' in the guild personally. you can be a gm that contains powerful players, but of course you must give reasons why would they follow you. If that reason is because you are the most dedicated player in the guild, then so be it.

It is difficult to manage, since currently the only method of reward / punishments are the guild's position. You can't for example help others lower level player maxing their armor, or send your guild champ / sentinel better armor for guild wars.
    Oyster Sauce - Android - 100+
    BBQ Pork - 28
    • Are you an active daily player?
    • Are your level 50+?
    • Want to be part of fun active people?
    • Want to be part of a family?
    • We want you!

Join and be part of the team!

If your guild is currently inactive, msg me. We have spots for active people!

Need help on epic boss? Check out Epic Boss Simulation Spreadsheet V2

Quote Originally Posted by quantumace View Post
    Our GM bakes us muffins.
    Call MUFC/The Sentinel "muffins" for me

kthx

This thread has devolved so rapidly that I'm not sure it ever stood a chance... a serious post bythe Eun, and aside from exiled guild, all we get is wrestling videos... although I must say, who doesn't like the good ol days of DX?

I also have a detailed guild war strat written that i modify for each war. We are also a mostly free guild, and I often do not score top points for the same reasons replicatorz mention. Bringing down those defenses takes most of my energy. We're doing great for us right now, ranking in the top 100.

We make good use of LINE, coordinate war roles, and try to declare on a regular schedule to make it easy for the guild to remember when we're fighting. Mostly it comes down to organized dedicated players. If only a few in the guild are contributing, it will never work.

As a GM, I think keeping things positive makes members want to stay. If its a chore and not fun, what's the point? At the same time, if they're not active and contributing, again, what's the point? Set standards. If they don't meet them, tell them. If still not - boot em. I think being a good GM requires a serious effort. Even if I don't score major points, I'm the lead on attack, and coordinate different roles.

Spending some gems every now and again doesn't hurt either
    Zyntree Lvl 100+ (iOS)
    Guildwar Observer - retired
    The Red Phoenix- a Black Medal Guild.

Devolved or evolved?

I happen to think we are progressing nicely

I should have gave the order for my guild to actually attack u guys...btw a unicorn should not start an argument with a pony. YOU WONT WIN@#@#@#
    Last edited by Sparkle_DPA; 10-10-2013 at 08:25 PM.