Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Guild war strategies

There's the standard stuff that you should've figured out on your own - kill guardians first (let high ranking guys do it with element matched armors to save blocks), use as little as possible on the sentinel, if it looks close save strength for the frenzy, share targeting data, etc.

However we encountered some guilds trying some interesting things during the war to try and gain an edge. They were effective to a degree and you have to admire the effort it took, but frankly our guild thought they weren't worth the annoyance of implementing - plus we're too cool to need gimmicks

First Prize goes to Guild Ifrit which was lvl 33 and only had a GM, GC, GS and one HC. They deliberately made all but their top 4 members commanders to cut down on the amount of points their opponants could score. It worked too. The top 4 were too strong for any but our top guys (and then it was a fairly straight up match). So we pounded a whole lot of commanders and scored 1XX. They scored a lot more than us on each kill and won.

Several Guilds followed RR's lead and had everyone adopt the same name. This prevented scouting and sharing target data. It also prevents a lot of useful in-game chat. Still it was effective, albeit only within rankings (no hiding who the GC is). A variant on this strategy would be to use selective name matching (a high level commander and low level commander - this would make targeting harder without as much confusion)

A couple of clever sentinels kept constantly rotating their armor around at the start of each war. This was fairly effective at preventing element gaming (i.e. first guy reports back the armor types and you try to maximize your next attacks). Obviously this strategy applies beyond the sentinel.

Any other interesting or amusing strategies y'all encountered?
    iOS GUILD: THE PALE RIDERS
    LVL: 75 (maxed bonuses)
    GW1: 59 GW2: 75 GW3: 56 GW4: 79 GW5: 70 GW6: 71 GW7: 35 GW8: 45, GW9: 46, GW10: 34, GW11: 91 GW12: 21, GW13: 35, GW14: 25, GW15: 16, GW16: 46 GW17: 20, GW18: 32, GW19: 30! 3 Guild Alliance for Armor Wars - 5th Silver Chromatic (FTB), 5th Arclite Shroud.

Late surges. I assume this is fairly straight forward and not really any kind of advanced "tactic", but we saw it a number of times. They would appear to just quit after they were a ways behind. However, somewhere in that last 14-10 minutes, they would have 4-5 members go hard with full energy and/or refills. Made it really hard to guess what a safe lead would be and if they surged with more player participation than we had at that moment, it made it hard to preserve the lead even if you were watching for it.

Granted, this likely also applies mostly to lower guilds like mine where you are not in such a demanding race in every match. We typically were not gemming, etc for those matches and instead trying to regen energy on those.
    Android
    IGN: Sifu
    Friend Code: WBC-FQZ-WHB

I took away all of our leadership roles, except for Sentinel. We also adopted all the same names and just asked that the members copy and paste their original user name in when chatting.

What we did with the oppositions sentinel was to let 4 lower level members attack him once each to drop the 50% def bonus, and then let your highest level player in. I figured it was better to let our lower level members do this (and by low I mean our 45-60 range) because they were more likely to lose fights anyway.

We made sure to win every fight we participated in (24 total) so we could get the 50% bonus. We also had all our guardians lvl 4 or above.

Our members fully cooperated and were scouting entire time. Lower level members waited to find out who they could be before attacking other members.

#63 with not too many gems spent, we were satisfied
    IGN: Mistress Misery/Lady Bad Touch
    iOS GM: Retired GM of Bad Touch
    GW Rank #4
    XBD-RCH-NNR

i suspect some GMs are not gonna share some of the very effective strategies they employed... unless there's a loose-mouth in their ranks...

Any anonymous insider wanna expose some of these not-so-obvious strategies? I know for sure there is a tactic to avoid getting matched up with top guilds...

Buy 4 packs of 800 gems and spend them all. Pretty winning strategy, dont tell anyone.
    Knight: Lvl 84 Tildor
    Guild: Majestic
    System Android PM me for add
    Armor: Big 4 Maxed, MT, Tect, WW+, TBG+

Quote Originally Posted by Tildor View Post
    Buy 4 packs of 800 gems and spend them all. Pretty winning strategy, dont tell anyone.
    Psssh, why are you telling them the secrets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by knights View Post
    i suspect some GMs are not gonna share some of the very effective strategies they employed... unless there's a loose-mouth in their ranks...

Any anonymous insider wanna expose some of these not-so-obvious strategies? I know for sure there is a tactic to avoid getting matched up with top guilds...
    That's an easy one -- Don't raise your guild level. That's the predominant determinant for match-ups. I didn't share all our secrets, just stuff I observed that I thought belonged in public domain. Demoting is a double edged sword, you reduce opp's points but make it harder for players to win individual match-ups. It works provided you find a sufficiently weak player on the other side to pound on.

Lady - Good strategy, but why so few battles? We had 45 battles and went 36 and 9 (a couple were middle of night where somebody hit declare and only a couple of members particpated but the other 43 were legit). We also are a free gem guild. If we had them we used them, but not that many in all. We finished not far above you, so maximizing each fight was effective for you, but I tend to think more fights equals more points over 72 hours.

Sifu - Nearly all our opps did the late big hit strategy, some of that may be due to the need to refresh. I think this can be especially effective if you bring the scores close enough to trigger frenzy to maximize the extra 20%. Not easy to coordinate, especially if the other guild keeps increasing the lead, but a nice score multiplier if you can manage it right.
    iOS GUILD: THE PALE RIDERS
    LVL: 75 (maxed bonuses)
    GW1: 59 GW2: 75 GW3: 56 GW4: 79 GW5: 70 GW6: 71 GW7: 35 GW8: 45, GW9: 46, GW10: 34, GW11: 91 GW12: 21, GW13: 35, GW14: 25, GW15: 16, GW16: 46 GW17: 20, GW18: 32, GW19: 30! 3 Guild Alliance for Armor Wars - 5th Silver Chromatic (FTB), 5th Arclite Shroud.

Step 1 hack bill gates bank account

Step 2, keep it on tap for gems

Step 3 spend like Charlie sheen on a bender

Step 4 watch majestic spend enough to buy johnny depps island

Step 5 add warren buffet to step one and repeat.

Yea, we will definitely be doing more fights next time. We were doing them on the first day every hour and a half after the fight was done. We bumped it up to an hour after the fight was done, on the 2nd and 3rd day.

We also had no fights during the night (usually 12am-8am) We are going to build a night team this time around, so hopefully that issue will be resolved.
    IGN: Mistress Misery/Lady Bad Touch
    iOS GM: Retired GM of Bad Touch
    GW Rank #4
    XBD-RCH-NNR

There is, but I won't say what it is. It's not exploiting the system or anything, either. It's actually really simple once you figure it out. You'll hit yourself in the head for not thinking of it sooner.

Other than that, there aren't any big strategies I can think of besides communication with your guild. Call out targets and let each other know what armors they're wearing.

As for changing names to the same thing, it can be a mixed bag. It doesn't work for the prime targets (GM, Sentinel, Champion), and any competent guild will just say, "Hit 3rd High Commander," or, "Second to last Commander." It also prevents you from knowing which of your members is being attacked so he can adjust his armor accordingly.

Just watch for their pts to start changing so u know they are in a fight
    Legends Skilless level 141
    Guildmaster of The Legends

Quote Originally Posted by The Pale Rider View Post
    That's an easy one -- Don't raise your guild level. That's the predominant determinant for match-ups. I didn't share all our secrets, just stuff I observed that I thought belonged in public domain. Demoting is a double edged sword, you reduce opp's points but make it harder for players to win individual match-ups. It works provided you find a sufficiently weak player on the other side to pound on.
    Nope, depressing guild level is not it. It is really simple and is a guarantee to avoid RR, Cents, UN or any top guilds for that matter... I'm not a loose mouth, i'm not telling!

I don't think anyone is sharing any insider secrets, or that there really are any to begin with. You can pretty much figure it out yourself as you go along.

Busteroaf
    Retired
    Beer: Give your brain the night off

1. buy gems

2. max epics

3. ?????

4. Profit!!!

Someone in our guild had a second device with an un-guilded character that was able to look up the other guild and examine the profiles.

Made it easy for the members in our guild to pick an appropriate target for their strength.
    Dragon Realms Code: 205-371-641

Knights and Dragons code: WBB-VFW-FVY
    Level 100 - 2013/09/24
    Maxed L70: SG+, AotB+
    Maxed L99: Beastmaster Battlegear, Shoushard
    In the queue: Blazeborn, Armor of the Devoted