Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Free gem offers not fair? glitch? or on purpose?

I see many, many people saying they get hundreds of gems from watching video after video. Then many others(like myself) who are lucky to get 1 a day. A guild mate of mine has 2 5* from free gems. Not to mentions the massive gold boost from 11 t3 TF.

This isn't fair. I'm(or us unlucky people) never going to be able to compete against these people. Take me over a month for 1 chest. And 1.5x longer to make gold.

A) allow everyone this option
    B) allow no one this option.

From what I understand, gem offers are based upon location. Sometimes, I get 4 or 5 videos in a row and then nothing for days. This might be because I am based in Cali and the ads are for my specific location. Sometimes I find I get more at night than in the morning. Gems are based upon what I can assume is Gree selling ad spots, if they don't sell ad spots, and then you don't get gems. Not everyone is based in the same State, or even country for that matter. So say if in China, they might get a lot because advertisers are trying to drum up business. So it comes down to luck. But complaining that it is unfair is kind of silly. What if people purchased those gems and then upgraded their training fields? Just remember this; life is unfair, get a helmet and deal with it.
    Knight: Lady Sylvanas
    Guild: Majestic
    Semi Retired

You want Gree to dictate to advertisers on which platform and to which geographical location their ads should be shown?
    In other words: go complain to the advertisers that they don't want to show you and me ads...
    Android: GM of casual guild Macross (former Majestic member), mostly farming screenshots for the wiki now.
    Line-ID: marco-knd
    Still usable epics: Forgestone+/Ravage/Necro/Druid, Specter/Komodo
    if "boss fight is close" then "insert miss at the last moment" end
    Topic containing the all important armor etc. spreadsheet: http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...Administration

Quote Originally Posted by Marco_ View Post
    You want Gree to dictate to advertisers on which platform and to which geographical location their ads should be shown?
    In other words: go complain to the advertisers that they don't want to show you and me ads...
    I have a sneaking suspicion that there's more to it than that, I've introduced the game to a couple of my friends in the same location and we've all noticed the same trend. In the beginning you get a lot more free gems, and once you've had a certain amount you never see that kind of gem volume again from video gems. I accumulated almost 300 gems the first couple days I played and I haven't gotten that many in total since then.

I have a theory that they're throttled as a gateway to buying gems. I could be mistaken, it could be a coincidence, but it seems odd to me.

(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.->Send PM<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
    (Guild Master, LvL 150+, Maxed: Beastmaster's Battlegear, Forgestone Aegis, Maelstorm Irons)

The Herd Is Here, Get In or Get Trampled.
    Android / Level 75
    The Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Nicco View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that there's more to it than that, I've introduced the game to a couple of my friends in the same location and we've all noticed the same trend. In the beginning you get a lot more free gems, and once you've had a certain amount you never see that kind of gem volume again from video gems. I accumulated almost 300 gems the first couple days I played and I haven't gotten that many in total since then.

I have a theory that they're throttled as a gateway to buying gems. I could be mistaken, it could be a coincidence, but it seems odd to me.
    You may be onto something there, I have another device which I started fresh on and I have noticed an increase in gems. Sneaky, sneaky.
    Knight: Lady Sylvanas
    Guild: Majestic
    Semi Retired

I like that theory. Waste them all as a *noob*, as you get higher give you less to have you wanting more. There for you are hooked on the game. And oonly option left is to buy them.

Before I seen your theory, I thought maybe it was to give the people who DONT get these offers the desire to buy just to compete. Almost had me convinced to.

If you think about it, 800 gems is $99.99 which works out to 12.5 cents per gem in case anyone was ever wondering what the value of a gem was...

I can't imagine the revenue from one of those video adds is more than a couple cents, if it's even that much. It would make no sense for them to allow anyone to accrue so many gems for free as it would drastically deflate the value, unless you look at it as an investment. Anything you get for free doesn't cost them anything, and the likelihood of you buying gems after that is exponentially higher, at which point free gems dry up.
    Last edited by Nicco; 08-19-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: ,

(Guild Master, LvL 150+, Maxed: Beastmaster's Battlegear, Forgestone Aegis, Maelstorm Irons)

Android / Level 75
    The Sheet

If you think about it, 800 gems is $99.99 which works out to 12.5 cents per gem in case anyone was ever wondering what the value of a gem was...

I can't imagine the revenue from one of those video adds is more than a couple cents, if it's even that much. It would make no sense for them to allow anyone to accrue so many gems for free as it would drastically deflate the value, unless you look at it as an investment. Anything you get for free doesn't cost them anything, and the likelihood of you buying gems after that is exponentially higher, at which point free gems dry up.
    Devalue would imply some sort of trading aspect. Which there is none of in Knights. So gems are only worth something to you personally instead of a currency between players. So they are willing to give away gems because you can't transfer them to other people in any way. Is there a bottleneck on free gems? I don't know but i doubt it. Its just once you start leveling you aren't happy with 5 gems a day but want 100 a day for things like chests.

Quote Originally Posted by Hildigam View Post
    Devalue would imply some sort of trading aspect. Which there is none of in Knights. So gems are only worth something to you personally instead of a currency between players. So they are willing to give away gems because you can't transfer them to other people in any way. Is there a bottleneck on free gems? I don't know but i doubt it. Its just once you start leveling you aren't happy with 5 gems a day but want 100 a day for things like chests.
    ^This. Without a real economy in the game, the value of gems never really goes up or down, its all relative to what you want to do with it, be it upgrade buildings, open chests of varying values, power craft an armor, etc. There are multiple uses for the gems but no way to transfer them to other people.

Busteroaf
    Retired
    Beer: Give your brain the night off

It has nothing to do with the lack of an in-game economy, you pay for gems, ergo they have value. If everyone had free gems, nobody would pay for them, ergo deflation of value. It also has nothing to do with demand at higher levels. Granted we appreciate gems more as we progress in-game but the fact remains I had more free gems when I started than I do now. I didn't *feel* like I had more, I wasn't *happier* with less gems, plain and simple fact, I just had more of them.

Android / Level 75
    The Sheet

It has nothing to do with the lack of an in-game economy, you pay for gems, ergo they have value. If everyone had free gems, nobody would pay for them, ergo deflation of value. It also has nothing to do with demand at higher levels. Granted we appreciate gems more as we progress in-game but the fact remains I had more free gems when I started than I do now. I didn't *feel* like I had more, I wasn't *happier* with less gems, plain and simple fact, I just had more of them.
    Yes, the gems have an obvious value... but they are worth more or less depending on what you use them on. And I do feel that it has more of a demand at higher levels, while you might not. Hence, relative to what you want to do with them. Using gems on a DPC at level 15 or an epic boss battle when you are level 40 (and aren't wisely spending gems) doesn't have the same "value" as when you are higher level using it to cap off that last SA or two on a Level 60 boss. And, maybe it was because I didn't pay attention that much, but I've gotten WAY more free gems (and streaks of free gems) as I got higher level. Maybe not at the current moment, but I don't think it caps as your level goes up. A lot of it has to do with location/time/luck.

And for those that say "I just started a new toon on another device..." yes, it might seem you have more gems, or are getting more free offers. But I've also had instances where my main, higher level device was getting a streak of 150+ while my "new" device wasn't getting anything. Same network, same spot, literally side by side. Its a theory, but a theory that clearly isn't 100% sound.

Add in the fact that the free offers info has been out there for much longer now and more well known to many players, and there are likely a lot more people playing (as evidence by the daily new names in the forums), thus sharing the same pool of gem offers. I speculate that its not an endless supply of offers like many assume. There probably IS a cap, just on the advertising and pay-out to Gree end. Thus, why many time we don't ever get any. Just my $.10... Buy gems on sale, they're .10 each.

Busteroaf
    Retired
    Beer: Give your brain the night off

To that end you're right, clearly not a perfectly sound theory, but also not entirely crazy I don't think. I definitely agree that limited ads and higher user volume are a large part of it, but I'm still insistent that I see more gems from video offers going to new players than to old. Maybe you're right, it's a complete coincidence and I just don't have enough data...Theories..

Android / Level 75
    The Sheet

Woot, just got my first gem offers in about 6 days. Then sad panda when it was only two. =(
    Android
    IGN: Sifu
    Friend Code: WBC-FQZ-WHB

Cor blimey mate, what are you doing in me pockets!?
    I honestly haven't recieved any new Video Offers or Surveys in weeks, and the Surveys I DO get usually involve paying money for something else... Quite frustrating.
    [BACK WITH NEW ACCOUNT]
    WCP-WXR-FMX (Android)
    In-Game Name SA Veeke DSB
    Level: 80+
    Maxed: N/A
    WIP: Chaotic Hellguard + (28/99) Voidwalker's Shelter + (23/99) Explorer's Piecemail (23/99) Summoner's Garb (17/99) Rivenborn Aegis (10/99)

I actually have to say niccos theory makes a lot of sense, For example in cell phones, companies that offer unlimited data, throtle the data after 2-3 gb, you still get it but its like taking a pipe with flowing water and sealing it to the point of a small leak, i could see them doing the same thing
    Guild Master of Gravity lv 51, 7/33

spirit: 8% fire: 8% air: 8% water: 8% earth: 7%
    Name : NickkyDC
    Level 139 ( Moontide non + 91/99, Specter's Shroud non+ 20/99, Firestorm Vanguard non+ 40/99, Assassins shroud +, and Horsemans Battlegear+ both maxed)
    Add me - XBC-XXZ-BZQ