Page 3 of 3 First 123

score!

good, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Bearsuo View Post
    Right, but something that's important to note is that there are an awful lot of HCs. So that keeps it from killing the guild, but it does make having everyone we could have in it unlikely. IOW, two competing incentives.

If the point is to have more actors (guilds) in guild wars, then it doesn't matter that the coalition restructures into 12 guilds instead of 5, goal achieved. If guild wars are pretty much like arena, where being active and bullying the easiest target is rewarded, then that the coalition is a coalition of 12 guilds doesn't really change anything, again. It wasn't really formulated in my post (phone typing does make me lazy that way), but my point wasn't to suggest RR is or should be bandied about - rather, they, conversationally, represent the top distribution on a curve that should be ignored when it comes to design (ie., if no one except the top 0.1% of players can do X, and design don't want X done, but X isn't game breaking, they have achieved their design goal).
    I don't disagree with your point at all regarding making more content accessible to more people. In my estimation from a business perspective that makes sense.

What doesn't make any sense, is stratifying the player base.

Games have done the former before, including massive ones: EQ, WoW, others, and by and large it's been a useful update. That would've been easy, simply increase everyone 20%, problem solved, no egalitarian issues in the game design. Sure the elite will whine a little bit but at the end of the day I've seen it's good for virtually any game.

This change though, directly rewards some players fantastically more than others for doing, well, not much. That, is breathtakingly stupid in any game design in my estimation.

You're right, if the goal was to obtain more actors in guild wars fine, but it would've been smarter to simply make every leadership spot equal, since reducing the size of the guilds likely would've created even more complaints than there already is.

Now though, you can opt for (maybe) one of two things: Guildwar competitiveness (this is the maybe, we don't know enough at this point to determine what's optimum for guild size and distribution), or epic bosses and arena, in which being a GL is substantially superior to other choices for the overwhelming majority of the player base.

Edit: for a direct and observable impact: I am a commander in a guild, and prior to this particular change I was floating right around rank 50 in arena winning on the order of 4/5 of the aggregate matches I was presented. Now targets that I previously beat, I'm losing to (and no changes in their order, they're just hitting harder and I'm hitting softer across the board), and I'm hearing stories of people simply pressing DD with impunity now and no thought to selection: between element bonuses and guild leadership bonuses on attack, it's a foregone conclusion.

As a result I'm watching my rank slide roughly 5 per 2 hours. I still have my friend list pop waiting, but I can't compete with the DD strings without spending moderately absurd numbers of gems to maintain the ranking.

For a certain fact I won't be arenaing with any seriousness either while this update is in effect or while I'm a commander in a guild when 50% of the player base has a massive advantage that I don't... so I'm stuck either forming my own guild, or simply quitting, and I suspect it's more likely the latter than the former as any credibility that Gree had previously has been shot with this update.

I know I'm only one customer, and in the grand scheme of things I don't rate; however, I'm almost assuredly not the only one that'll wind up voting with their pocketbook on this one: I'll go find some other entertaining game to spend my time and money on.
    Last edited by Revelate; 08-08-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    --Rev

Unhappy What were they thinking?!

Let me start by saying, I am in complete agreement with Revelate about this. I think it is a terrible idea to apply guild leadership bonuses outside of guild wars, especially large bonuses such as these. I am guilty of not paying attention to what was right in front of me, as I should have reacted back when it was posted that "leadership bonuses will apply to all aspects of the game". That was my fail.

Now, let's break this down:

Guild leader bonuses - they are incredibly unfair. There's no way around that and this is the simplest way to put it: UNFAIR. Before you ask, yes, I am a HC in my guild and I would gladly trade that with a fellow guild member if it kept them happy and kept them from leaving the guild/game. However, that does not even begin to solve the problem.

Look at it this way: if you care about arena - only guild leaders can be competitive there now! Non-leader players have absolutely no chance against a 20% bonus.
    If you care about defeating the epic boss, maybe your goal is to get as high as possible for the rewards. Well, guess what? Guild leaders are now likely to get there without breaking a sweat, while you are stuck scrimping and scraping, budgeting your time and your friend slots and probably buying energy.

So how can this be a good thing? I strongly believe that it cannot. Chaos will ensue, and people will leave guilds to start their own just to get the bonuses. By the numbers, it makes more sense to be alone in a guild you've just created than a mere Commander in one of the top guilds! At the very least, this move by Gree has destroyed guilds. Imagine guild wars with a whole bunch of tiny guilds floating around! Unfun.

As I see it, the solution is simple: apply the leadership bonuses ONLY in guild wars. This would make sense, as follows: taking down guild leaders will get the guild more points, so it stands to reason that these guild leaders would be hard to take down. It also would mean that the leaders will be more likely to go after each other, while the rank and file will engage in their own melee. That would all be well and good (unless I'm missing something again).

But as it stands, this will probably ruin the game for me and many others. I am planning to stay the week because I like the looks of this boss armour. But if nothing is done by then to rectify the situation, this will be my last epic boss. Or I will just become a guildless hermit and fight the boss on my own. But that's less likely, as it would be far less fun.

As for the other changes: not being able to search for guilds anymore - annoying. We used that feature to add friends and such.

The font changes - some people find them to be an eyesore, but I don't particularly mind them.

Not charging SA when fighting the boss or in the arena - mildly annoying, but I'll just rethink my micromanagement strategies there and will be over it in no time.

Bottom line: leader bonuses applied to every aspect of the game are unfair and are ruining the experience (for me at least - if anyone even cares).
    New Armors Data Sheet
    Add new armors via this form

The bonus's applied to all aspects of the game make no sense from a game health or financial aspect.

Power is exponentially siphoned into the top players in the top guilds, as each event becomes easier for them to get farther on. This severely diminishes the competitive environment of the game, one already strained to fragility by the ability to buy power. Applying these changes ONLY to guild wars and making the rewards from guild wars scale based on personal rank would strongly incentivize breaking large guilds into groups of smaller ones by promising more players a bonus to improve their personal ranking without breaking game balance between players outside of the guild wars environment.

Financially speaking, siphoning power like this is suicidal for the company. Your top spenders now have no reason to spend, as their power boost on top of their already significant power leaves them with little to no challenge in game. Barring differences in activity level, if things stay the way they are, I expect to see the top 3-4 guild leaders ranked 1-4 every arena from now on. The players outside that group will now have the disincentive of having to spend huge amounts of gems to make up the power gap in every aspect of the game.

Because I am a moderate gem spender that is not a high commander or higher, of these changes are not reverted, I will be quitting the game due to the lack of competitiveness. I never aspired to be #1 because I don't spend enough money, but my ability to break top 100 is now zero.

P.S.: Gree, if you want to not make fully retarded choices like this in the future feel free to hire me.

to all of the naysayers here

all of u just quit and delete k and d now...u r all just dogfood for us anyways. or u can start ur own guild like gree wants u to and try to run with the big dogs.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by KhaosReignsGuildmaster View Post
    all of u just quit and delete k and d now...u r all just dogfood for us anyways. or u can start ur own guild like gree wants u to and try to run with the big dogs.
    Hahahaha that is so mean of you. Well I think that GREE just made the game more like what happens in real life. People with money are the ones who gains power. But you know what outwitting them just makes the sense of achievement/satisfaction so much greater... Peace out yo!

angel

touche i have some friend room if u wanna add me XBC-CXF-MXZ

My update won't install so I'm sh*t outta luck lol
    Lord Ash - Lvl 340+
    22 Maxed Epics: Cloudrange Platemail, Blazeborne Vanguard, Forgestone Aegis,
    Tectonic Mantle, Maelstrom Irons, Soulshard Nercomantle,
    Armor of the Devoted, Blazestone Mantle, Kerstman's Shroud,
    Runic Robes, Aegis of Sky Majesty, Hellfire Platemail
    Snowstorm Platemail, Sandstorm Platemail, Centurion Aegis, Odins Call, Arcane Mantle, Heroic+
    Guild Sentinel of the MUGGLES
    Proud Retired Member of original The Untouchables

For those who can't play due to the 100007 error, what I did to fix it was turn off automatic settings for date and time and manually set it and it seemed to fix the problem for me, so give that a go. If you already do yours manually try setting it to automatic and see if it resolves the issue as well.

So this is why my stats suddenly jumped up so much o.O i'm the guild leader of my guild, we aren't much (only 6-7) but this change can't bring much good.
    Lvl 11x Daily player. Add me, if lvl 100+ i'll accept, below 100 please send a PM. XBB-YDQ-DVY

Quote Originally Posted by D3athShade View Post
    So this is why my stats suddenly jumped up so much o.O i'm the guild leader of my guild, we aren't much (only 6-7) but this change can't bring much good.
    Contradictory much?

Great. I left my old guild because it was pretty inactive except for me, but I was an officer. Now I am just a Commander in a bigger guild and kind of feel worthless now. Thanks Gree for nothing.