What's the best group messaging app for Android/iPhone ? - Page 2

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Which app is better for group messaging?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • TOUCH

1 1.82%
  • KIK

4 7.27%
  • GROUPME

45 81.82%
  • PALRINGO

5 9.09%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best group messaging app for Android/iPhone ?

Post Count
    groupme wins

Back Alley Network

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by sister morphine View Post
    Groupme is still my favourite, but I chucked it off my phone because I found it effectively impossible to not get push messages for longer than 12 hours at a time (the longest the mute can be turned on). Maybe there's another way to stop it completely, but I've not found it. On my iPad this is not an issue at all.
    Go into your iDevice's settings under Notifications. You can control which push notifications you receive, where you receive them (badge, alert, lock screen), and what they look like. You can even shut them off entirely. That's how I roll. I have enough convos going, I don't need it to remind me.
    * SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU *

* SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU ** SSAU *

Banned
    Post Count
    Best android messaging app? An ios emulator running any of the above messaging apps listed.

Articulate Author Tommy Two Toes's Avatar
    Post Count
    The best comm app is not determined by features or easy of use. It is determined by which one has most of your friends on it.

Just like beta was better than VHS, but people went for the format which had the most movies.

Your poll speaks for itself. CC players prefer Groupme.

Post Count
    My issue with group me is someone joining the chat has access to all previous messages.

And since its a link that people get invited to I believe that the link can be passed around so someone else could easily join.

If i am wrong about either of those let me know as I evaluated group me for just a bit.
    retired

Post Count
    Kakao also has added a pc interface which can leave multiple windows open at once. Nice feature during wars for compiling and posting lists...without having to switch rooms etc if you use multiple rooms
    retired

Banned
    Post Count
    I recently saw a player that found one of those links and was able to wreak some havoc. Booted most players from the room!

Banned
    Post Count
    the creator of a groupme room can turn off the shareable feature and there is also a web front end to it which is nice during wars.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by iteachem View Post
    My issue with group me is someone joining the chat has access to all previous messages.

And since its a link that people get invited to I believe that the link can be passed around so someone else could easily join.

If i am wrong about either of those let me know as I evaluated group me for just a bit.
    1. You're correct, but what you see as a problem, I see as a powerful feature. New members can get caught up very easily whereas in apps like Kakao, if you miss the chat, you miss it for good.
    2. Only the creator of the chat room can generate the link, so it's entirely at his/her discretion. If you don't share links to your chats, they can't be abused. Instead pull people into chats using their contact info and your chats are impervious to surprise additions. You can even create a "lobby" area that you do share with people and then pull only the members you want into your active chats.

GroupMe, dislike Kakao's interface on mobile. Palringo has a simple UI but suffers from other disadvantages.

Master of Musings
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky Finn View Post
    1. You're correct, but what you see as a problem, I see as a powerful feature. New members can get caught up very easily whereas in apps like Kakao, if you miss the chat, you miss it for good.
    2. Only the creator of the chat room can generate the link, so it's entirely at his/her discretion. If you don't share links to your chats, they can't be abused. Instead pull people into chats using their contact info and your chats are impervious to surprise additions. You can even create a "lobby" area that you do share with people and then pull only the members you want into your active chats.
    Agreed. And if by chance some uninvited person does get in its a doddle to remove them, as Matt pointed out.

The only issue would arise if your earlier chat has been less than complimentary to a new member of the group on the other hand I do like the way kakao provides a bookmark from where you left off as opposed to jumping to the last message like groupme does.
    Last edited by sister morphine; 08-01-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    "The Tokyo Rose of the Trailer Park"

Banned
    Post Count
    LINE chat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Kakao is #2) (Kik is #3) (#10, Parlingo, is a messy, ad-ridden rats nest) (#NO is GroupMe) (never tried Touch, is it nice?)

Steady Scribe
    Post Count
    I have tried palringo, GroupMe, Skype, and numerous others. In my opinion Kakao Talk is by far the best.
    Cha & Cha II
    Sunnyvale

Steady Scribe
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Legen...dary View Post
    LINE chat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Kakao is #2) (Kik is #3) (#10, Parlingo, is a messy, ad-ridden rats nest) (#NO is GroupMe) (never tried Touch, is it nice?)
    Touch is nice. You can only be added to a group, but you can't remove players without having to set up a new chat

Banned
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by scott(ST6) View Post
    the creator of a groupme room can turn off the shareable feature and there is also a web front end to it which is nice during wars.
    "which is nice during wars" until 30minutes of your messages don't go through and it never informs you that they didn't and it doesn't have a re-send option. You refresh the page and all your recon reports are gone. Happened to three of us before we switched. Every message is sent as a txt to a phone number. txt is not a verified system... it's a one way "hope it got through" system. Also, don't you already have enough Micro$soft in your life?