Leveling Bad News - Page 2

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leveling Bad News

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    If it were me I would change how CP works. Give the highest amount of CP for a win against someone who is the same level as you. Slightly lower CP for someone who is +/- 5 levels. Lower for +/- 10 levels, and so forth.

It is ridiculous to me that Gree penalizes people who enjoy frequently playing the game, particularly the standard PVE quests. What kind of game maker does that?

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_K View Post
    I will agree that leveling does seem to have become more of a penalty, but do you really think that leveling should specifically be rewarded? I think many of you would actually be hurt by this more so than newer players. I have, like many people, invested heavily in hero strength. So as we tend to do more damage than those that haven't, we will actually get fewer XP for mobs since we can defeat in fewer hits. Therefore, some players would be "rewarded" by needing more hits to defeat mobs and gaining more XP and levels much quicker than some of us could hope.
    Except those players are penalized by not going as far in LTQs. Like you, I have invested heavily in HS, so I can kill LTQ mobs faster.
    "I make no apologies for the way I play the game.
    It's not my fault if you are weaker than I.
    It's yours. Don't whine about it. Fix it."

Prominent Poet
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by E-I View Post
    If it were me I would change how CP works. Give the highest amount of CP for a win against someone who is the same level as you. Slightly lower CP for someone who is +/- 5 levels. Lower for +/- 10 levels, and so forth.

It is ridiculous to me that Gree penalizes people who enjoy frequently playing the game, particularly the standard PVE quests. What kind of game maker does that?
    While I agree with your stated reason, your solution blows. Getting less points for attacking someone 50 levels higher than for attacking someone at the same level is kind of stupid.

Levelling up is not just about CPs, contrary to popular belief.

A more reasonable solution is that you would gain CP's based on your OWN level, regardless of the opponents level.
    Last edited by Shinazueli; 07-22-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    KA : 831745853
    BnB is recruiting : http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...-is-recruiting
    MW: 301523231

Fortune doesn't favor the bold, that's stupid. Fortune favors the intelligent, prepared, and patient. - Me, 2012

Please stop complaining about how bad Gree is at <fill in the blank>. A cursory search of the forums with the keywords 'Gree' and 'sucks' should let you see that we already know. - Me, 2013

Banned
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinazueli View Post
    While I agree with your stated reason, your solution blows. Getting less points for attacking someone 50 levels higher than for attacking someone at the same level is kind of stupid.

A more reasonable solution is that you would gain CP's based on your OWN level, regardless of the opponents level.
    X - Y = Way too reasonable to ever be implemented in a corporate profit driven world.

Banned
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_K View Post
    I will agree that leveling does seem to have become more of a penalty, but do you really think that leveling should specifically be rewarded? I think many of you would actually be hurt by this more so than newer players. I have, like many people, invested heavily in hero strength. So as we tend to do more damage than those that haven't, we will actually get fewer XP for mobs since we can defeat in fewer hits. Therefore, some players would be "rewarded" by needing more hits to defeat mobs and gaining more XP and levels much quicker than some of us could hope.
    There are so many pros and cons to this statement depending on what type of camper you are I don't even think I can fathom them all.

Someone start a Build Comparison thread.

Steady Scribe
    Post Count
    Sounds like we need a very smart programmer and mathematician to come in and fix this for us. Preferably also a gamer too. One that can see far enough into the future to avoid some of the stumbling blocks we have so quickly ran head long into. That is not me... I have a friend but he is already employed by a top gaming company ; ) Imho the smartest thing Gree has done recently is the Guild implementation to the game, without the social part the game could loose value to many players quickly.

Shinazueli very impressive and makes sense. Keep the ideas coming!

Prominent Poet
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikita007 View Post
    Sounds like we need a very smart programmer and mathematician to come in and fix this for us. Preferably also a gamer too. One that can see far enough into the future to avoid some of the stumbling blocks we have so quickly ran head long into. That is not me... I have a friend but he is already employed by a top gaming company ; ) Imho the smartest thing Gree has done recently is the Guild implementation to the game, without the social part the game could loose value to many players quickly.

Shinazueli very impressive and makes sense. Keep the ideas coming!
    That's the f'ing frustrating part. I'm not inventing the f%^*ing wheel here.This has all already been done. All they have to f@&$ing do is copy other games!!! Seriously!

I mean, we are playing a damn phone game with very few graphics. We aren't looking for a holy grail of a game. Just stop screwing us by being retarded. That's all we want.
    Last edited by Shinazueli; 07-22-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Fortune doesn't favor the bold, that's stupid. Fortune favors the intelligent, prepared, and patient. - Me, 2012

Please stop complaining about how bad Gree is at <fill in the blank>. A cursory search of the forums with the keywords 'Gree' and 'sucks' should let you see that we already know. - Me, 2013

GREE Engineering
    Post Count
    We actually have some algorithm changes in the works for down the road that will make camping a less attractive strategy. We're not fans of it either - it's counterintuative and a strange way to play a game.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerle View Post
    We're not fans of it either - it's counterintuative and a strange way to play a game.
    True story. Although, technically, they're not playing the game. haha
    "I make no apologies for the way I play the game.
    It's not my fault if you are weaker than I.
    It's yours. Don't whine about it. Fix it."

Articulate Author Dirt road Joe's Avatar
    Post Count
    We actually have some algorithm changes in the works for down the road that will make camping a less attractive strategy. We're not fans of it either - it's counterintuative and a strange way to play a game.
    You guys have already done a good job at making Camping a less attractive strategy with these crazy LTQs. The only thing you guys need to take care of is the war CP payouts(this is the only valid point campers have to camp on right now!). As soon as you change that algorithm, Camping will no longer be necessary... Ever.
    Matthew 7:3-5

Post Count
    Thanks for the feedback Jerie. As mentioned above (any many times before), the long time players that helped build this game are frustrated by the noticeable disadvantage in wars of being a higher level by playing this game as intended from the beginning. There have been some good suggestions (higher boost buildings available to higher levels only, higher unit buildings...), but what about wars? Maybe add another target in the battles only accessible by higher levels. Currently if a player's stats are too low, they can just hit the castle and gain minimal points. What about adding a target on the other end of the spectrum (just spitballing here, but maybe a "throne room" or "castle vault")? Not sure of the metrics involved, but it wouldn't seem like such a penalty to be higher level.

I apologize if this post is out of place, but felt like it followed the spirit of the thread as least :-)
    NukeHog
    Officer/Protector
    for
    Warriors of Honor
    4 Time Top 400, Top 200 and TOP 150 in the last 2 wars!
    Active Guild on the move up!

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day. Light him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Ancient Chinese Proverb...sort of

Steady Scribe
    Post Count
    Thanks Jerle! Glad to this is an aspect of the game you are working on improving and that you are listening as well : )

Prominent Poet
    Post Count
    Well at least they aren't lying and saying they don't mind camping any more.

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    I have to fix everything around here.
    Love your signature, Jerie :-)

Prominent Poet
    Post Count
    Not that I seriously expect an answer, but what would your long term plans include? I'm not asking for details here... But the way the game is currently set up... It's not possible to compete with players that have played for longer than you, with all else being equal. You couldn't pay me to be maximum level and on the same field as 3M+ stats.

Because exponential growth eventually reaches limits. I'm not trying to be snarky here, but you guys have done serious flaws with your design, and I'm not even talking about incentivizing levelling. The root cause is the massive imbalance caused by mismatched play times. I don't see a solution that will please even most people, and I've been playing games for 20+ years.

You can't simply give everyone the same stats, because that would piss off your gem spenders.

You can't leave it as it is and force everyone to level, because you'll lose the vast majority of your player base.

And you can't simply exponentially inflate stats, as your spenders don't have infinite pockets to "keep up". You'll end up losing your revenue. Because once you fall off the crack pipe of keeping up, what's the point in playing. You can't go back to being a regular joe once you've chased the dragon. So these players will end up quitting.

Now that you've started to inflate stats, you can't stop, either. Nobody is going to pay for less rewards than you are offering right now. They can only get bigger. Which was why we told you in the beginning it was such a bad idea, but you didn't listen, because all your business dudes saw the short term profits. Not like we haven't seen it dozens of times in other games or anything...

The way I see it, you're kind of screwed with your business model. People have invested too much to see their equity devalued, but nobody can hope to compete with those same players. Unless you put them in their own little sandbox and have everyone else play in their own box.

Maybe you could shed some light on this conundrum? An actual answer?
    Last edited by Shinazueli; 07-24-2013 at 12:28 AM.