Nests vs Training Grounds

I don't quite get it to be honest.
    The nests are 100k to build, produce less and hold much less than a Training Ground.
    I had to build 2 nests to complete 2 quests however.
    What do you guys did ? Sold them and built a TG instead ?

I haven't got the quest chain that far. I'm only up to where it tells me to build the dungeon. I'm guessing you can either not do the quest or build them to get the quest prize and replace them with TGs.

I just built all TGs.

One nest produces less than a training ground. However, two maxed level nests compared to a training ground, would produce 2.4k per hour, compared to a max training ground's 1.8k per hour. However, monster nests maxes out in 2 hours, while it takes around 10+ hours for a training field to max. Leveling a monster near from level 2 to 3 takes 40 gems, so it's way more expensive compares to a training field. Personally I filled my whole kingdom with training grounds and filled the single free spot with 1 monster nest.

All the data is from the spreadsheet of course, since the gold production shown in game is slightly inaccurate if I'm not mistaken.
    Knights and Dragons iOS.
    Guild: Rainbow Room
    Main knight's named Aiden.

My friend's list is currently full, i won't be able to accept new players at the moment.

Cheers, my fellow knights!

Quote Originally Posted by deathexe View Post
    One nest produces less than a training ground. However, two maxed level nests compared to a training ground, would produce 2.4k per hour, compared to a max training ground's 1.8k per hour. However, monster nests maxes out in 2 hours, while it takes around 10+ hours for a training field to max. Leveling a monster near from level 2 to 3 takes 40 gems, so it's way more expensive compares to a training field. Personally I filled my whole kingdom with training grounds and filled the single free spot with 1 monster nest.

All the data is from the spreadsheet of course, since the gold production shown in game is slightly inaccurate if I'm not mistaken.
    Yeah that's pretty much what I am planning to do as well.
    I do wonder however how many more useless buildings I need to build for various quests.
    I do want to do all quests that's why i built these 2 nests to begin with.
    The quest is called Monster Madness and requires :

1. collect 20k from nests.
    2. Built 2 nests
    3. Upgrade 1 nest to lvl 2.

Before this there was another quest which required a nest to complete : Aunt Morgan 4 which requires :

1. Collect 7500
    2. Build a nest
    3. Upgrade the nest to lvl 2
    4. Craft a living Flamer armor

As a point of interest, another quest is Armorsmith Architecture which is quite annoying because it requires a large number of buildings :

1. 3 taverns
    2. 3 cathedrals
    3. 2 TGs

and you need to have them all up at the same time.
    Oh, almost forgot ... another quest requires one nest .
    this one is called Nesting Instincts
    Last edited by Eidand; 07-13-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Monster nest quest sets I could find in my log:

- Nesting Instincts: build 1 Monster Nest (5000 gold, 1600 XP)
    - Armorsmith Architecture (5000 gold, 1800 XP)
    - Monster Madness: build 2 Monster Nests, upgrade a Monster Nest to level 2 (5000 gold, 2050 XP, 1 gem)
    string ends there

- Aunt Morgan 4: build 1 Monster Nest, upgrade a Monster Nest to level 2
    has at least 12 other quests after it.

Times to max and gold ticks: I posted a theory and table at http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...stration/page6 , but nobody has commented on it yet...
    My calculations from my table for time to max gold:

Training Field 1/2/3
    15:33:20/13:45:00/13:20:00
    Monster Nest 1/2/3
    02:05:00/02:06:40/02:05:00

And if my theory is correct, a gold tick every N seconds (lower is better):
    Training Field 1/2/3
    4/3/2
    2x Monster Nest 1/2/3
    5/2=2.5 / 4/2=2 / 3/2=1.5
    (60%/50%/33% gold speed advantage to Monster Nests)

The startup cost for Monster Nests is way higher, then there's the missed gold whenever you can't clear them about every 2 hours (sleep, work, other things) and extra stress of having to/wanting to check that often. (that 13:20:00 or more is way more relaxing...) .

I'll probably end up using the same layout as deathexe. (for now still have a L2 Nest, L1 Nest and L1 Tavern sticking around from the quests, since I'm paranoid that as soon as I replace 2 of them with a Training Field, a quest with "build" instructions will pop up and will require me to destroy one of the Training Fields... )
    Android: GM of casual guild Macross (former Majestic member), mostly farming screenshots for the wiki now.
    Line-ID: marco-knd
    Still usable epics: Forgestone+/Ravage/Necro/Druid, Specter/Komodo
    if "boss fight is close" then "insert miss at the last moment" end
    Topic containing the all important armor etc. spreadsheet: http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...Administration

Heh, too busy multitasking to post before someone else posts half the info I was typing...
    I am logging all my quests and the strings they are in for later upload to the wiki. (I didn't do so for about the first 25-30, so I'll have to load KnD into an emulator and re-do those there.)
    Android: GM of casual guild Macross (former Majestic member), mostly farming screenshots for the wiki now.
    Topic containing the all important armor etc. spreadsheet: http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...Administration

Check out this thread that has the Data Sheet with all the information you need on all the buildings and their actual output (on the Building Production tab):
    http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...stration/page6

You just have to remember a training field takes up 2 spots, a nest takes only 1. So:

1 Lvl 1 Field makes 720 gold/hr or 21,600/day
    2 Lvl 1 Nests make 1,440 gold/hr or 34,560/day

1 Lvl 2 Field makes 1,200 gold/hr or 28,800/day
    2 Lvl 2 Nests make 1,800 gold/hr or 43,200/day

1 Lvl 3 Field makes 1,800 gold/hr or 43,200/day
    2 Lvl 3 Nests make 2,400 gold/hr or 57,600/day

The initial cost of the nests are more, but the potential to make more per day is significant, especially when you have 20 nests vs 10 fields. The downfall is you have to collect from those nests every 2.1 hours or less to get the maximum potential. Training fields take 13-15 hours to fill to max.

Jello

Potential to make more per day is significant... especially when you never sleep. Or work.

Busteroaf
    Retired
    Beer: Give your brain the night off

Quote Originally Posted by Jello View Post
    but the potential to make more per day is significant, especially when you have 20 nests vs 10 fields. The downfall is you have to collect from those nests every 2.1 hours or less to get the maximum potential. Training fields take 13-15 hours to fill to max.
    For especially level 1 (60%) and perhaps level 2 (50%) buildings that might be doable in practice, but for level 3 it quickly shifts to theoretical. If we budget the "not being able to collect gold" time of going to bed, sleeping, waking up as a narrow 8 hours, that's already about (8-2)/24 = 25% of your 33.333% advantage eaten away. Add a few more occasions where you can't collect within that slightly over 2 hours period and you've spent a lot of effort for no gain at all.

Quote Originally Posted by busteroaf View Post
    Potential to make more per day is significant... especially when you never sleep. Or work.
    or go shopping, eat out, go to the movies, take a roadtrip, or just want to not have to log in every 2 hours etc.

You need 3 spaces for all the annoying 'build a fountain' quests, building stuff you will tear down later to build training grounds. For the quest where you have to build 3 cathedrals and three taverns, you have to have 3 of one in the castle at once (my bad, I tore down a cathedral to build a new one so it didn't count), but if you do cathedrals first, you can tear them down and build taverns once you've got the tick on that part of the quest.

After the one where you have to have two monster nests that crap is done with and you can fill with training fields and not have to remove them again. I had inadvertantly levelled a dungeon to 3 so kept it as my odd space out.

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    After the one where you have to have two monster nests that crap is done with and you can fill with training fields and not have to remove them again. I had inadvertantly levelled a dungeon to 3 so kept it as my odd space out.
    Ah, good to know. Then I can replace my L1 Nest and L1 Tavern with a L2 Training Field.

Quote Originally Posted by busteroaf View Post
    This guy! . . .
    Bears At Large (iOS) Beartator (recruiting for solid Guild Warriors!) - use LINE

Yes I know you won't have a life if you have to check every 2 hours to empty the nests. That's why I put "The downfall is...".

Also, I just posted a new thread called "The Building Quest Chain" here:
    http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?61268

It contains every building quest you will encounter.

Training grounds really... Ive tried nests myself but eventually you will spend a few hours w/o being able to play and its gonna max out.... The extra gold rate wont keep up... U need to sleep at some point, and gonna lose gold... Theres no expenses that tgs cant handle just fine... Nest for the last single slot... Just for giggles and because the lil dragons there loook cute awwwnnn

Quote Originally Posted by Jello View Post
    Yes I know you won't have a life if you have to check every 2 hours to empty the nests. That's why I put "The downfall is...".

Also, I just posted a new thread called "The Building Quest Chain" here:
    http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?61268

It contains every building quest you will encounter.
    Thanks Jello, That's was quite useful. The progression of buildings required by the quests makes no sense, it would be great if they fixed that.

I actaully did the math for this at one point, Training Grounds definitely beat out Monster Nests, for most of us the amount of gold you make while you're sleeping, and I assume everyone sleeps, outweighs whatever extra gold you're going to make during the day checking your phone every two hours, especially once you take into account the assumption that at some point you'll go a few hours during the day without checking. If you fully upgrade your training grounds, once you've bought your expansions and buildings, you end up having more than enough gold.

As for that one extra spot, I have an upgraded dungeon, but if I had to do it again I would have kept my Monster Nest, better looking and I think the difference in gold is almost negligible.