Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fortifications

Verbose Veteran
    Main Game
    Modern War
    Post Count

Fortifications

Why build them?

The rationale behind them has to be different for each tier that your faction is in. I am interested in hearing your rationale behind the benefits of building them.

Give your faction's rank, level of walls you typically build and why you think it is a good expenditure of resources.

Mine

Top 250. Level 7 walls. We spend 6 mil dollars to prevent our opponents from scoring maybe 4k points. It does slow them down some and use up a few hits from scouting. At our level, I could careless how many points our opponents scores.

Post Count
    Top 750

We build a single level 10 for the first battle. I helps us win that first one out the door. It is a morale booster. After that its pretty much level 7s the rest of the time. In some cases, the opposing wall decreased our normal ammount of points by up to 10K-15K. With us being a smaller faction, a lot of hits were made to tear the wall down.

Over all, having stronger walls helps in the outcome of keeping your enemy from gaining points in the battle and less points through the entire war. We were running short on concrete in Columbia, but were able to boost the number back up.

The fortifications would have more relevance in the battle if you got extra points of the battle win. I think that this aspect of the game could be adjusted for the better.
    Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    because thats 4k less points for every faction that attacks you. as well they get 4k less points for every war they are in.

let's assume there are 30 wars you participate. thats 120kwd points. pretty sure that is plenty for a couple of positions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hupernikomen View Post
    Why build them?

The rationale behind them has to be different for each tier that your faction is in. I am interested in hearing your rationale behind the benefits of building them.

Give your faction's rank, level of walls you typically build and why you think it is a good expenditure of resources.

Mine

Top 250. Level 7 walls. We spend 6 mil dollars to prevent our opponents from scoring maybe 4k points. It does slow them down some and use up a few hits from scouting. At our level, I could careless how many points our opponents scores.
    Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practiced every day

Heavy Marine Helicopter
    PM if you are a retired top faction player who just wants to enjoy the game
    **Retired from formerly known as The Buckwheat Connection**

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    I agree with Hupernikomen. The goal of the fortification is to make the enemy waist a few hits so they score less. But in the end:

1) if you're matched to a weak faction, you might actually get points for those hits if you win
    2) if you're matched to a strong faction that uses gold, they will scout no matter what, wall or not (you will just cost them less but not necessarly make them score less)
    3) even if they score a bit more points without the fortifications (for non gold factions for instance), it's not gonna make a real deference on the leader board
    4) you don't give an advantage to 1 faction but to all the factions that you fight so the benefit is spread

So yes, I think you raise a good question. Plus, it's super annoying to buy LV10 walls!

I'm interested in having the forum's feedback about that...
    Please PM if looking to join a consistent Top40 faction both in WD and FL.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf4life View Post
    because thats 4k less points for every faction that attacks you. as well they get 4k less points for every war they are in.

let's assume there are 30 wars you participate. thats 120kwd points. pretty sure that is plenty for a couple of positions.
    Sorry but I disagree: giving 4k to 30 different factions wont make a difference, at least no in my tier.

Plus if you consider the cost of 30 LV10 fortifications, you could actually get a bonus that would give you a real advantage during those 30 battles.
    Personally, I'd rather get a benefit for the 30 battles than giving a tiny disadvantage that wont benefit me to 30 different factions...
    Please PM if looking to join a consistent Top40 faction both in WD and FL.

Steady Scribe
    Post Count
    Your math has one flaw. You have to divide that 120k over the number of factions you faced which is probably between 28-30. You are really only hurting each opponent 4000pts for the whole war.

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    i guess i am confused at how you disagree.

every key position is sorted by a few thousand or hundred thousand WD points. If you had to go up against 0 walls, you would have all of those hits or gold to get actually WD points, saving you 4-6k worth of WD points per battle. If you do that for 30 wars...math is trivial.

There really isn't arguing the fact that the more level 10 walls you go up against, the less points you will receive.

Thus, the more walls you create, the better your chances are of squandering another faction's position.

This is quite important in the top100 as we come across many of the factions competing for the same spot we are.

again, i am just confused as to how you think it isn't beneficial.

That top 75 unit will give you way more stats than a 5 percent increase in attack bonus that you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnaud View Post
    Sorry but I disagree: giving 4k to 30 different factions wont make a difference, at least no in my tier.

Plus if you consider the cost of 30 LV10 fortifications, you could actually get a bonus that would give you a real advantage during those 30 battles.
    Personally, I'd rather get a benefit for the 30 battles than giving a tiny disadvantage that wont benefit me to 30 different factions...

Heavy Marine Helicopter

Verbose Veteran
    Main Game
    Modern War
    Post Count
    We gain considerable points by failed hits on us. If the opponent's small fries don't have a wall to bang then they go fishing and score me points. In that respect having walls may actually hurt me.

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    i can understand how at first this would seem correct.

however, if there were no walls, the scouts would hit the exact same way they did even if there were walls.

so really the walls would have nothing to do with the failed hit gains, as they would happen anyways.
    We gain considerable points by failed hits on us. If the opponent's small fries don't have a wall to bang then they go fishing and score me points. In that respect having walls may actually hurt me.

Heavy Marine Helicopter

Verbose Veteran
    Main Game
    Modern War
    Post Count
    I agree with you golf, in your Tier I think they are vital. I am just not convinced in mine they are. Interested in other people's view. Seems to me gree should make winning a war of some significance and the dynamics of this discussion changes completely. Of the twenty factions above and the twenty factions below, we might have fought two of them so i dont see that it would hurt my rank giving a couple factions i am actually battling 5k points while increasing my chances of scoring a few hundred per war more for 40 wars.

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    what tier are you in.
    I agree with you golf, in your Tier I think they are vital. I am just not convinced in mine they are. Interested in other people's view. Seems to me gree should make winning a war of some significance and the dynamics of this discussion changes completely. Of the twenty factions above and the twenty factions below, we might have fought two of them so i dont see that it would hurt my rank giving a couple factions i am actually battling 5k points while increasing my chances of scoring a few hundred per war more for 40 wars.

Heavy Marine Helicopter

Verbose Veteran
    Main Game
    Modern War
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf4life View Post
    i can understand how at first this would seem correct.

however, if there were no walls, the scouts would hit the exact same way they did even if there were walls.

so really the walls would have nothing to do with the failed hit gains, as they would happen anyways.
    Agreed an organized top 100 faction would not be duped into fishing, but a top 1000 group with wall bangers would have to be tempted to finally get to hit someone instead of the wall.

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    ah,

well yes, without organization i can see how it would work in your favor.
    Agreed an organized top 100 faction would not be duped into fishing, but a top 1000 group with wall bangers would have to be tempted to finally get to hit someone instead of the wall.

Heavy Marine Helicopter

Steady Scribe
    Post Count
    Totally agree..

As long is you get the points even when losing a battle, forts are just a waste of money.
    And you get more points for NOT having a fort, because opponents will strike
    more often so lose more often.

use the cash for upgrades

Gree will never change the fact that you still get points when losing, simply because this will be the end of this game within 2 weeks.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnaud View Post

I have to agree with Golf - if every faction we fought had no wall, we could have easily scored 100K-200K more points and been in a much higher placing.
    Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.