iOS or Android? - Page 4

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: iOS or Android?

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by SEC View Post
    WTH are you talking about? Both companies sell globally what difference does it make where they are based? Most of the phones that Samsung sell aren't even galaxy models, they are those ultra cheap phones that still run Android 2.3. Samsung also made smart phones before the iPhone came along not the other way around. Are people seriously this obtuse?

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17tt.../ku-xlarge.jpg[
    Apple (Steve Jobs) redefined the market as opposed to simply trying to compete in the already established market, which left the others having to play catch up. Apple (Steve Jobs) took a calculated risk and it paid off immensely. That is what I meant by Apple being first on the scene, as they redefined the scene.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    3 years from now, Android users have bought 3 phones to try to "keep up". The guy with the iPhone 4 is still happy with simple software updates.

iPhone 6 may be on the market, but it is not an absolute must have to keep up. Chime the Samsung followers.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    In a nutshell, you are a moron if you pick Android over iOS. Or just poor. Been there and understand.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous They View Post
    In a nutshell, you are a moron if you pick Android over iOS. Or just poor. Been there and understand.
    Fanboyism at its finest.

Banned
    Post Count
    In a nutshell, you are a moron if you pick fanboyism over logic. Or just idiotic. Seen it and understand.

Post Count
    3 years from now, Android users have bought 3 phones to try to "keep up". The guy with the iPhone 4 is still happy with simple software updates.

iPhone 6 may be on the market, but it is not an absolute must have to keep up. Chime the Samsung followers.
    Exactly right. It amuses me to no end to hear fandroid tout all these great specs. But when you actually do real life tests with games, web browsing, camera, and features you actually use the iPhone trounces the competition. There is a very good reason the 3 year old iPhone 4 is still a good and usable phone and all the Android phones released at the same time are completely obsolete now. Apple doesn't need to overclock the CPU to make the iPhone fast. You never hear people complain about lag on an iPhone or bad battery life which are common complaints about android phones. Because Apple build the hardware and the OS that runs it is a fine tuned beautiful piece of kit. And since I don't plan on doing any heavy duty photoshop or video rendering on my phone I really don't care about useless specs that won't make one iota of difference to how I use my phone.
    Faction ID: 969 784 353 Top 250 Faction
    Bonuses improving all the time! Recruiting now!

Banned
    Post Count
    My iPhone 4 lags bad. The hardware inside is just junk. Still lags after formatting.

My 4S however is much better. 5 does not lag. But I'll say this again: it feels like a cheap piece of plastic.

You need to look at it from this perspective. iPhones are like gaming consoles. Streamlined and efficient, but very restrictive. And limiting when it comes to true customization. Android phones are like computers. The software needs to be coded for a wide range of hardware so the end result is going to be inefficiency of the software/hardware interaction. But on the plus side, Android is unrestrictive. And I'd say it has more potential for amazing ideas to bloom because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by SEC View Post
    Exactly right. It amuses me to no end to hear fandroid tout all these great specs. But when you actually do real life tests with games, web browsing, camera, and features you actually use the iPhone trounces the competition. There is a very good reason the 3 year old iPhone 4 is still a good and usable phone and all the Android phones released at the same time are completely obsolete now. Apple doesn't need to overclock the CPU to make the iPhone fast. You never hear people complain about lag on an iPhone or bad battery life which are common complaints about android phones. Because Apple build the hardware and the OS that runs it is a fine tuned beautiful piece of kit. And since I don't plan on doing any heavy duty photoshop or video rendering on my phone I really don't care about useless specs that won't make one iota of difference to how I use my phone.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by glitters View Post
    My iPhone 4 lags bad. The hardware inside is just junk. Still lags after formatting.

My 4S however is much better. 5 does not lag. But I'll say this again: it feels like a cheap piece of plastic.

You need to look at it from this perspective. iPhones are like gaming consoles. Streamlined and efficient, but very restrictive. And limiting when it comes to true customization. Android phones are like computers. The software needs to be coded for a wide range of hardware so the end result is going to be inefficiency of the software/hardware interaction. But on the plus side, Android is unrestrictive. And I'd say it has more potential for amazing ideas to bloom because of that.
    It is hard to take you serious when you say that an aluminum phone feels like cheap plastic. The iPhone is every bit as much as a computer as any Android. Having useless battery eating live wallpaper and a few other customization options doesn't make Android any more powerful than an iPhone. That freedom also comes at a very steep cost. There is no malware for the iPhone while there are hundreds if not thousands on Android. There is also no screening process for apps on Android which means many harmful or just crappy apps make it to the Google store. I don't hate Android, I just know enough about the shortcomings to know that the so called advantages are actually not advantages at all. If Android is so open why do people feel the need to root to remove bloatware that carriers install? No bloatware on iPhones. People that love to tinker endlessly and change their wallpapers every day might appreciate the customization of Android but people that actually want to use their phone and all the apps on it without any lag, fuss or muss and get actual work done pick an iPhone. It is also nice to know I don't have big brother (aka Google) monitoring where I go, where I shop, and every other aspect of my life so they can send more advertising. If you aren't concerned about privacy, stability, or quality then Android is the platform for you.

Banned
    Post Count
    It feels like cheap plastic. Be honest. It does. Compare it to a 4S and you'll feel the downgrade in build quality.

Never used an Andriod phone myself. But what I hear from friends and colleagues, once you go Android, you'll never go back (to iOS).

Post Count
    I had 3 Android phones before I got an iPhone and I can tell you the reverse is true. I spent as much time trying to root, patch, find a decent rom, fix glitches and annoyances as I did actually using them. Even something as simple as backing up your Android phone is tedious. If you lose your iPhone or it gets broken, get a new iPhone connect it to iTunes and in a few minutes it will be fully restored even down to your call log history. Titanium Pro (a paid app btw) is the closest I came to a full backup solution on Android and even then you still had to tweak settings and spend several hours to get it back to the way it was before. I will never buy an Android product again. It just feels very much a work in progress.

I also think it is hilarious that the Google Now app will work on all iPhones even the iPhone 4 but it will only work on Android phones running Android 4.1 (jellybean) or later which is only about 25% of all Android users. What a slap in the face to the Android community. That Android phone purchased the same year as an iPhone 4 can't run Google now but an iPhone can.
    Last edited by SEC; 05-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Banned
    Post Count
    Android can't be that bad. After all, the Android market is growing while iOS is shrinking. That can only mean one thing. People are jumping ship. Jumping to a more luxurious ship.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by glitters View Post
    Android can't be that bad. After all, the Android market is growing while iOS is shrinking. That can only mean one thing. People are jumping ship. Jumping to a more luxurious ship.
    Are you purposely trying to be obtuse? iOS is not shrinking it is growing. Android is growing largely due to 3rd world countries where they can't afford anything but dirt cheap phones and poor people on pre-paid plans. In that sub $250 market Apple doesn't compete because there is no profit there. In richer countries Android is not growing. the iPhone is over 50% of sales on U.S. carriers and about 80% on AT&T.

What part of market share means nothing when those companies aren't making any money selling those cheap Android crap phones? Companies can't keep making them while losing money. Only Samsung thanks to billion dollar advertising campaigns are making any money at all and they aren't even making a third of what Apple makes. By your logic since Chinese has the largest market share in terms of native speakers we should just abandon English and all learn Mandarin. No one cares about market share besides fandroids. I have yet to hear one legitimate advantage that Android has so I will offer one. I would like a larger screen but I am willing to tolerate a smaller screen running iOS rather than to return to the hell I lived with those 3 Android phones I had.

Banned
    Post Count
    ^ iPhone 5 feels like a cheap piece of crud. Come on! Admit it! Or I'll call you a fanboy.

Banned
    Post Count
    Well Apple has its own software ecosystem. It gains revenue from iTunes and other sources. iPhones generally have cheaper hardware too so that explains the greater profit for Apple.

Banned
    Post Count
    My forecast is this: Apple is overpriced compared to Android, and doesn't offer enough value in return. Because of this, their market edge is evaporating. Apple's main advantage is that it is the choice for people who don't know much, the same as AOL was the beginners' choice to get online in the early days of the internet. The word is spreading fast that Apple products are overpriced, and that Android works fine. I've seen nothing to indicate that Tim Cook & Company will blaze any breathtaking trails in the future. Sheer momentum will continue to attract well-heeled non-price-sensitive customers to Apple (such as big corporations, rich yuppies, and those hungry for the hip factor) for some time to come -- but, eventually, that momentum will peter out. You can cash in on cachet for just so long. Sooner or later, you have to deliver an edge. Verdict: Apple has seen its day in the sun.