GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iOS or Android?

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count

iOS or Android?

What is your opinion?

Here is mine. Even without Steve Jobs, I still like iOS. Android was first brought online as 'open source' which is cute for an initial launch but a really bad idea in the stretch. As time has shown, give them the code, and lunacy will run rampant. On iOS I have never had a solicitor call me. Nor have I ever had my identity stolen. Unlike my friends on Android.

Google has made a ton without caring about the long term. Android has 68% of the market bc it is the ghetto OS. Cheap, easy, open source. Ok, maybe Blackberry has become somewhat the definitive ghetto. Android is not far behind.

Post Count
    Check my SIG link. The one under posting guidelines lol

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Android is winning because they allow their software to the phone manufacturers for free. So, everyone that can make a phone has an operating system. Google rakes in the dough afterwards. So, all crap phones have Android. Samsung is trying but is still falling short. The iPhone is made in one place. They are the only ones privy to iOS.

Google is trying to crush Apple with quantity over quality. I for one, choose the pretty lady over the masses of average ones.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous They View Post
    Android is winning because they allow their software to the phone manufacturers for free. So, everyone that can make a phone has an operating system. Google rakes in the dough afterwards. So, all crap phones have Android. Samsung is trying but is still falling short. The iPhone is made in one place. They are the only ones privy to iOS.

Google is trying to crush Apple with quantity over quality. I for one, choose the pretty lady over the masses of average ones.
    Sorry, I disagree. Just because it is an OS outside of iOS, should you group them all together and call them all Android? There are many levels of "Android" OS then. I understand what you are saying, and even on that level I like the ability to use any kinds of programs and apps to do whatever I choose. I don't like that Apple requires all rights of whatever program you use on its OS (legally). I think there are also many good OS that fall under your "Android" grouping that far exceed the iOS as far as tech and ability. Just my 2 cents.

Who doesn't want CDR Shepard as an ally? 543 668 387 - If you're not an ally, you're a rival!

LoW Recruiting! http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...95#post1235395

Post Count
    The only company making any profit at all with Android is Samsung. All the other players like HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, etc. are barely breaking even and some are actually losing money. The only statistic that really matters is profits and Apple is making about 70% of the actual profits. Global market share means jack all if the companies can't make a profit. Android has a larger share because of all those millions of crappy phones running Android 2.3 in China, India, and other 3rd world countries. Even though 2.3 is several years old that is still the most popular version of Android by far. Those people don't buy apps or even use it as a smartphone but just as a flip phone replacement. iOS users buy about 3 times as many apps as Android users and developers go where the money is. Android is also terribly fragmented with so many different version and resolutions. Then you have forked versions with Amazon and others.
    Last edited by SEC; 05-21-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    Faction ID: 969 784 353 Top 250 Faction
    Bonuses improving all the time! Recruiting now!

Post Count
    i doubt that. most people these days get their apps for free lol

not that I do that..its illegal lmao

Post Count
    This chart says it all.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    iOS is probably the better OS in most respects, as it only needs to cater to their own products who's tech specs are rather limited. iOS is very restrictive however.

Android caters to all kinds of specs and not just their own limited spec products, so can be found to be lacking in certain aspects. The tech specs of android phones tend to be far more up to date than iphones though.

iphones are also a rip off for the specs you get. You have to pay a high premium for the brand.

Steady Scribe
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous They View Post
    The iPhone is made in one place.
    That one place is China and how dare google make money.

How Much Did Google Make in 2011? A staggering $37.9 billion!!

Of this amount 96% came from advertising.

The second quarter of 2012 Apple made 39.2 billion

Google is just raking in the dough.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by SEC View Post
    That's due to them charging a premium for outdated tech and charging both developers (yearly membership) and end users and holding a bit of a monopoly with itunes.

Post Count
    the fact that I have to basically SSH into an iPhone to "take control" of my files is garbage lol

give iphone simple drag and drop and you will bring over millions of users with that feature alone lol

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by DME View Post
    iOS is probably the better OS in most respects, as it only needs to cater to their own products who's tech specs are rather limited. iOS is very restrictive however.

Android caters to all kinds of specs and not just their own limited spec products, so can be found to be lacking in certain aspects. The tech specs of android phones tend to be far more up to date than iphones though.

iphones are also a rip off for the specs you get. You have to pay a high premium for the brand.
    Agreed. What I was trying to say at post #4

Who doesn't want CDR Shepard as an ally? 543 668 387 - If you're not an ally, you're a rival!

LoW Recruiting! http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...95#post1235395

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by DME View Post
    That's due to them charging a premium for outdated tech and charging both developers (yearly membership) and end users and holding a bit of a monopoly with itunes.
    keep dreaming. Unlike Android makers apple won't release tech until it is ready. Good example is all those early LTE phones that were complete crap and sucked battery life like crazy. Apple waited until the LTE chips had matured because they didn't want to give an inferior experience. An entry iPhone is $199 on contract which is the same price as most flagship androids so not sure what premium you are talking about. How about the resale value of an iPhone vs most android phones. With all this updated tech on Android why is there still such lag? They need 8 cores just to come close to being as fast as the 3 year old iPhone 4. Try doing any serious music apps on android and you can really see the lag. The system mixing buffer is where the differences between iOS and Android are most apparent. On iOS, you have the ability to request any buffer size you want, and the OS will give it to you, if the processor is fast enough to handle it. At a 44.1kHz sampling rate, a 256-sample buffer is about 5.8 milliseconds On the latest Android devices, the minimum buffer size is 16384 samples long, which is about 371.5 milliseconds long. The lag is measurable: about 350 milliseconds. It seems insignificant but it is not. This latency problem on Android stops developers from writing musical apps that could compete with those available on iPhone or iPad.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by SEC View Post
    keep dreaming. Unlike Android makers apple won't release tech until it is ready. Good example is all those early LTE phones that were complete crap and sucked battery life like crazy. Apple waited until the LTE chips had matured because they didn't want to give an inferior experience. An entry iPhone is $199 on contract which is the same price as most flagship androids so not sure what premium you are talking about. How about the resale value of an iPhone vs most android phones. With all this updated tech on Android why is there still such lag? They need 8 cores just to come close to being as fast as the 3 year old iPhone 4. Try doing any serious music apps on android and you can really see the lag. The system mixing buffer is where the differences between iOS and Android are most apparent. On iOS, you have the ability to request any buffer size you want, and the OS will give it to you, if the processor is fast enough to handle it. At a 44.1kHz sampling rate, a 256-sample buffer is about 5.8 milliseconds On the latest Android devices, the minimum buffer size is 16384 samples long, which is about 371.5 milliseconds long. The lag is measurable: about 350 milliseconds. It seems insignificant but it is not. This latency problem on Android stops developers from writing musical apps that could compete with those available on iPhone or iPad.
    Go Big Ten

Banned
    Post Count
    I've never used an Android phone but I just want to say that iPhone 5 feels like a cheap piece of plastic.