Tortoise guide for newbies. Slow and steady.....

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tortoise guide for newbies. Slow and steady.....

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count

Ultra economy building and enviable win loss percentage guide for newbies

Having been playing with Storm8 games for the last few years and then discovering this game and Modern War I have shifted a lot of attention to Funzio recently. My take is that people level way too quickly and eventually run into very powerful foes as the mafia brackets get increasingly big and the amount of income needed to support a decent mafia is very difficult to raise.

I've read a few guides and found Duder's quite helpful. I'm not going to go into any spreadsheets or any calculations as for most beginners it may be a lot to digest.

Pick Tycoon class to begin.

I suggest if you are looking at long range success to not do any missions and don't worry about skill point allocation when you level up. Actually don't level up at all. Don't attack or rob anyone as it puts you on their radar and potentially get a retaliation. Also, start boosting defense as soon as possible to avoid and fend off attackers as losing 10% of your cash on hand by banking is counterproductive. That 10% can easily pay for the best defense items in the earlier levels which will make you virtually invulnerable to attacks.

Buy every and all buildings and upgrade them especially the laundromat. There are many threads saying that its best to get rid of them but they are well worth the trouble of upgrading because at lower levels income generation is difficult and laundromats are cheap to upgrade and if played often will return better than any other building for the foreseeable future.

Also, make sure to examine higher level players' hoods to get an idea before expansion of your hood to maximize the available building space. Plan ahead for expansions as when you are adding buildings eventually you need to expand you hood. Hood expansion will take up a lot of time.

I have a friend who started playing several week before I did and he is at level 24. He has stopped leveling and am taking my advice and has dropped all his alliance members. The problem is he needs to spend money to shore up his defense and needs to bank a lot which is also a waste. Also, it will be very difficult for him to buy any movie theaters because it would involve him having to get 50 mob members and open him up to attacks from much more powerful level 24 players who have probably very strong attack scores. Actually, I have noticed they can have pretty weak attack scores relative to my friend's defense but in the end he still gets robbed.

This is in my opinion the best strategy as eventually I can purchase the 100 (loft) and 300 (night club) mafia member requirement buildings without having to defense up most of the extra members if I stay at low levels. I only ever need to worry about getting the best defense for 20 or so mob members. The beauty of this is that I have little or no opportunity cost wasted on banking or arming up mafia members beyond level cap of 5 mafia per level and of course losing money from attacks/robberies (knock on wood) as opponents on level 4 generally don't take the time to read the forums and have already leveled past me before they can potentially be a threat to me.

If you haven't used your gold make sure to get the basketball courts right away at 5 gold each.

Get Tapjoy from the App Store or through in game Add Funds 'Tap to earn free gold' option and add ice cream shops at 8 gold each. The other gold income buildings at low levels are not worth purchasing so just save it for mid to high level building options or to purchase crates.

Make sure to visit 25 of your mob family members daily to pick up $100/visit.

Only buy one abandoned building and upgrade up to the fifth level at max. The rest of your defense will come from purchasing the best equipment.

At level 5 buy defense towers and upgrade to level 3 minimum. Here is a link to defense buildings.
    http://crimecityios.wikia.com/wiki/Defense_Buildings
    The most important row to concentrate is the Mafia D row which is the effective or 'real' mafia defense score. Tycoon class get an additional bonus. The posted defense score is inflated and explains why people with lower attack compared to your posted defense can defeat you.

Post your codes here and get the largest mob for your level. (see the rest of the guide regarding mob brackets and zero alliance/dead zone bracket)

Currently I'm level 4.
    I have all the buildings available to me; 24 in total excluding 1 level 5 abandoned building. This includes 2 movie theaters.

Here are my stats.

Jobs completed - 4 (these come from achieving certain jobs as I level up and not doing any purposely)
    Fights won - 21 (from people attacking me)
    Fights lost - 0
    Robberies won or lost - 0
    # of mafia members - 58 (eventually will get to 300+)
    # of weapons - 47
    # of armour - 36
    Total mafia attack - 133
    Total defense - 151
    Income per hour - $8102

This is not the most entertaining way to play this game but slow and steady is the way to go if you want to maximize build without spending any real $$$ on gold (except for free Tapjoy option).

Note:
    For beginners adopting this strategy please read the entire thread with my revised tactic regarding mafia max alliance/dead zone mob bracket and other updates as game is constantly evolving.
    Your ultimate objective is to build 2 night clubs at soon as possible. Night clubs like movie theaters and lofts do not require any specific level to unlock. They are the best income buildings in the game bar none.
    Last edited by emcee; 05-15-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: adding notation

Banned
    Post Count
    This guide is long winded and pointless. Check out my guide to see how it's done!
    http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...win-in-a-fight

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
    This guide is long winded and pointless. Check out my guide to see how it's done!
    http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...win-in-a-fight
    You are literally under every post rambling on with rubbish.

You troglodyte humunculus, go away!!!

Banned
    Post Count
    I don't get where your coming from

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    That's because you're a moron.

Steady Scribe
    Post Count
    good read and guide. i have started a sleeper account and stopped at level 7 and stopped doing jobs.

how long do you figure one can get level 10 movie theaters and lofts? 5-6 months? i only started the sleeper level 7 2 weeks ago and none of my buildings are level 10 yet. how long have you played to get here?

also, i believe you will be able to equip weapons for your mob for better than the lowest respect items. ie never need to get the combat boots, columbian knife, mustang, tommy guns. thus maximise respect cions for next level weapons.

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    It all depends on how aggressive is your playing style. I can leave the app running for a good part of the day. I believe I started around Nov 24, so it took about 10 days to get the movie theaters. I can probably get the lofts in another 10 days but it would make more sense to level up some of the lower level buildings and especially the theaters first, which ultimately will facilitate not just getting the loft but more importantly the loft upgrades. My laundromats and basketball courts are all at level 7 and the rest of the buildings are all averaging around level 4. It's important to time your upgrades in order to minimize any down time. Ideally something should be upgrading at all times.

In your situation stop doing anything and first arm your mob with the best possible defense equipment. Buy a bunch of guard towers and level them up to level 4. Max your clan to 35 and hopefully you will not be a target to attacks any longer, as those pesky wins bring you up to the next level eventually. Every time you level up you run the chance of meeting stronger and more experienced players. That's why I would prefer to stay at level 4 for as long as possible as it seems most rivals have attack scores under 20 with not maxed out clans.
    Last edited by emcee; 12-05-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Post Count
    I can't comprehend how u get a night club. I am lvl12, got all the buildings available till warehouse w average level of 5-6. Max I only get t build 2 loft, and have played for about a mth or so. Btw I earn 12k per hr

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by DEMIGOD View Post
    I can't comprehend how u get a night club. I am lvl12, got all the buildings available till warehouse w average level of 5-6. Max I only get t build 2 loft, and have played for about a mth or so. Btw I earn 12k per hr
    You need 300 mafia members. Oh and $40 million.
    Crime City: 481-667-114 Level: 120 Stats Updated: 1/10/12
    Modern War: 725-841-085 Level: 14 Stats Updated: 12/6/11

Post Count
    *coughs* I got 3k mafia, but to save the damned money takes a mth (at min)
    And im not that dumb to not knw it cos 40mil

Post Count
    I can't comprehend how u get a night club.
    *coughs* I got 3k mafia, but to save the damned money takes a mth (at min)
    And im not that dumb to not knw it cos 40mil

Then elaborate more next time.
    Crime City: 481-667-114 Level: 120 Stats Updated: 1/10/12
    Modern War: 725-841-085 Level: 14 Stats Updated: 12/6/11

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    @emcee,

I would consider playing that way except that my primary reason for playing this game is to have fun. Slow and steady may win the race, but it'd be the most boring race ever...

In case you are wondering, my stats after one month of play:
    Level 24
    Jobs completed: 256
    Fights Won: 866
    Fights Lost: 77
    Robberies Won: 411
    Robberies Lost: 20
    Mafia: 144
    Attack: 1326
    Defense: 1451
    Income/Hour: $17643
    Fun Had: sht-ton!

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    Here is an update and a reworking of my ultra turtling income generating strategy. This addendum is meant for someone looking at developing a strong economy, maintain perfect or near perfect stats (wins/losses/robberies) and prevent the dreaded leveling from random attacks/robberies.

From level 1-4 add mob members until you are maxed out (5 members per level). For instance, there is no need to go above 20 mafia if you are at level 4. You may want to add a few more just in case some mob members leave. In the meantime you are still leveling up all your income properties and definitely have purchased enough defensive equipment to arm your mob fully.

Once you hit level 5 buy a lot of guard towers and upgrade them to level 5 or so. Level 6 requires a 7 hour upgrade time which is better used to upgrade income buildings. In anticipation of reaching level 5 make sure there is enough room in your hood to accommodate the new guard towers (3x3 on map). Ideally aim for 10 and upgrade them all to level 2 then all to level 3, etc. Try to avoid leveling one straight to level 5 unless you are waiting for a hood expansion in the meantime.

Once you have a number of towers at level 5 (minimum 5) its actually fine to drop all alliance members. Your guard towers will now shield you from most if not all attacks. Dropping all alliance will put you in a dead zone bracket which should stop all further unwanted leveling from attacks and robberies unlike someone with a maxed alliance or something in between.

Once all alliance members are dropped start posting your code in this forum or other sites. If you get an invitation just leave it alone as these will come in handy once you are ready to purchase the movie theaters and then the loft.

My only strategic oversight was to remain at max alliance from level 5 onwards. I was adding members which helped me to purchase both theaters and lofts. However, I left my alliance intact at around 170 members before realizing the error of my ways. At level 5 there are a lot more people with maxed alliance, which is not hard to obtain. Most people will attack/rob without doing much research or seeing large sums of money not banked may prove too much of a temptation. Even though my defense was more or less impenetrable all the wins have currently pushed me to level 7 which is the last thing I want. Since dropping my entire alliance the attacks have more or less ceased.

If someone is following my advice the preferred way to add theaters and eventually lofts is to have enough income to purchase said building then mass add 50/100 members, purchase theater/loft then drop all alliance immediately to fall back into the dead zone bracket. This may not be too practical as adding members can take a while especially when purchasing the lofts. When you have enough income to buy either building its not too difficult to arm your 50/100 mafia to prevent/win attacks in the interim while waiting the first to complete and getting ready for the second.

So once you've purchased both theaters drop to 0 alliance and you will be in the dead zone. When you are ready to purchase the lofts employ the same strategy. Of course this strategy is going to waste some of your alliance members time as they are adding you to their mob only having you leave in a matter of days. As such, I like to apologize in advance to anyone out there who will be affected by this

Basically, in a matter of a few days I had jumped from level 5 to 7 with a mafia of about 170; whereas the other account which I have access to has remained at level 24 with 2 theaters and 2 lofts purchased.

Here is my updated stats:
    Level: 7
    Jobs completed: 4
    Fights won: 170
    Fights lost: 5
    Robberies won: 0
    Robberies lost: 0
    # of mafia members: 4 (henchmen, which I can't drop)
    # of weapons: 120
    # of armor: 58
    Total attack: 41
    Total defense: 736
    Income per hour: 24615
    Last attack/robbery activity: 7 hours ago

2nd account
    Level: 24
    Jobs completed: 687
    Fights won: 327
    Fights lost: 95
    Robberies won: 292
    Robberies lost: 56
    # of mafia members: 14 (henchmen, which I can't drop)
    # of weapons: 358
    # of armor: 157
    Total attack: 270
    Total defense: 1599
    Income per hour: 22184
    Last attack/robbery activity: 36 days ago

Happy camping
    Last edited by emcee; 01-14-2012 at 01:56 AM. Reason: grammar

Post Count
    This sounds sooooo boring. I suppose I will see you in about 100 levels or maybe never at the rate you're plodding.

Post Count
    thats what i did, but i i just kept buying cheap weapons to then kept moving up the line when i was making enough money
    CRIME CITY BOSS DAILY HYPEBEAST

SUPREME TEAM :790615228 NOVA: 774 936 931
    LEVEL 143
    ATK/5XXXX
    DEF/6XXXX
    " yep"