The ethics of attacks

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The ethics of attacks

Master of Musings
    Post Count

The ethics of attacks

I am reading a few posts here, and have others asking me questions about this subject. I will list how I feel on this subject, and also comment on what I perceive grees position to be.

This is a war game. I can honestly say I joined to war, expecting this was what the game involved from its name, and having no idea until I began to play. I don't think any player needs any reason at all to attack another player, or may list any reason he or she wishes for attacking, regardless as to wether that reason is founded or not. It's not a question of ethics in any form. If you are unhappy about being attacked, I suggest you either get strong enough to prevent it, find some way to ally the attacker, or quit playing the game, if the fundamental element of the game is going to be an issue for you. I've heard players call attacks harassment. They are wrong, it's the reason the game exists at all. Vulgar, or obscene language, personal threats, etc, are harassment. Smack talk is not, and it's a part of the game I really enjoy. I love the ones who get cutie with their smack, as opposed to recycling the same ole. Ethics come into play of you cheat in some fashion. I know many will want to argue my point of view is wrong, explain how they decide when to attack or not. Keep in mind that if you hold yourself to a different standard, that is your personal choice. I will not try to prevent this. But also do not mistake your way as being the right, or ethical way to play. Most everyone in the game is attacking. I'm sure the attacker isn't happy about it. If the nature of the game is an issue, find another. You should not ask others to old the same standards or rules that you decide should be in place. They are within the rules and boundaries of the game. You have all been here long enough by now to know what the rules are. I don't define them, neither do you. I have tried to help others,ayers in the past who I am friendly with when they have been attacked by another player, and the pirates will do their best to protect their own. It does not make it wrong in any way for another p,Ayer to attack a pirate, in fact it would be quite boring if no one did. It's what we enjoy, and why we play the game. I have many characters I play in this game. Some are Rey powerful, some are weaklings, who get pounded for all manner of reason. Some of my games have big loud mouths that get them in trouble. I will never complain about another player attacking any of my games, unless he is using some form of cheating to gain an advantage.

Many players have contacted gree on the past for being attacked, and they tried to claim being harassed, or because they were being attacked for a certain reason. Keep in mind this player need no reason to attack you. Grees position from responses others have received in the past is that the player is not violating any rules. Some players may feel this violates their own personal code of ethics, but again, you can't hold all players to your standards. And I for one would not ask you to change yours, I may only make you aware of mine. I'm not going to say that you are wrong for yours, and I do not expect others to say I am wrong for mine, though I know they will. Gree says his is a war game, and as long as all parties are within the boundaries of the rules of the game, there is no issue. If someone steps over the line with their language, or makes real world threats to you, please report them and gree will deal with the issue.

Post Count
    I agree with you, the word "war" is in the title for a reason, if you don't want to get attacked then don't play!

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    I agree, most of the time i get people complaining on my wall i attacked them because we have the same flag. Dont think that really matters to me lol
    MW LLP 603-240-326 Jeff C . . . MW HLP 863-201-685 Jeff

Master of Musings
    Post Count
    One of my best ally's in the game originally had an issue because I attacked and I was same flag. The player now thinks that was silly

Post Count
    I really think the only exception to this would be when someone is being attacked 24/7 by someone significantly stronger than them for NO reason. If they can't ally with them or out spend them, then they have no choice but quit the game.

I've never been in this situation in MW, but I still feel that this would be unnecessary. However, if someone does something to provoke that kind of attention, then all bets are off!

That being said this is a war game and ATTACKS ARE THE MAIN OBJECTIVE IN THE GAME!

Post Count
    War and attacking is almost mandatory in this game. While it seems that line breaks are optional or at least discouraged I agree there's a line.

To me the metaphysical line is when a person attacks another solely for the purpose of hurting, or upsetting the other over a prolonged period of time AND the opponent has no realistic chance of retaliation.

This is why some of the gang war, etc can be a bit stupid. Attacking someone a bunch of times for saying something I'll advised is one thing, a sustained attack on them over a period of weeks and months, without any realistic opportunity for repercussions just makes you a douchebag.
    Proud owner of a sense of humour - and is not afraid to use it.

365 587 968

Master of Musings
    Post Count
    Look to cc about gangs. It's a part of the game over there

Post Count
    I used to refrain from hitting really weak players multiple times, just because I don't want them getting discouraged and quitting. Often, I would leave a bit of advice to strengthen themselves. Now that I'm in whale territory, I don't bother leaving advice, because viable targets take forever to find.

Also, if you have an inappropriate name, I surely visit their base and unload all 20 hits, just for being a ......
    MW ID: Ryans67
    617-935-486

Master of Musings
    Post Count
    It seems strange that you can give yourself a name that if you post it will get you banned for language

Banned
    Post Count
    If you get attacked 24/7, too bad, so sad; don't care.

This is a war game, fight or get demolished.

Besides, its all make believe anyway.

If you choose to field a fake army, expect it to be attacked.

If any of this bothers you, you have options.

But, as long as you play the game, you are subject to being attacked.

And, being allied is a two way street.

No one has to be your friend, so get used to rejection, or buy Gree supplied VIP.

This game doesn't have a NO ATTACK ZONE.

Until it does, and you aren't my ally, expect to be attacked.

I expect it, and get it all the time.

I then retaliate.

Modern War, people, not Modern Friend, Modern Farm, Modern Leave Me Alone; just Modern War!!!!

Post Count
    I always attack. Rarely do I go after someone over and over. I pick people that attacked me and left a good tip. One guy continued to attack me for months and lost every time and I have stayed on him like white on rice. I pick up millions and he continues to post on my wall and attempts to raid me. Fine with me. I choose my fights wisely but if I get throttled and have 187 million on hand good for them having a better army to do it. No tears.... No complaints. I will build up and find a way to get it back.
    If all else fails...hold one mil high...squeeze and hope for the best.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Hmmmm. what level are you?
    I need 187 million for an upgrade, and I can't be bothered with buildings
    maybe I could camp on your base?

Post Count
    Come on by brother. Level 53 and have 34 mil on hand. I am in the giving mood.
    If all else fails...hold one mil high...squeeze and hope for the best.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by PIRATE JUSTICE View Post
    If you get attacked 24/7, too bad, so sad; don't care.

This is a war game, fight or get demolished.

Besides, its all make believe anyway.

If you choose to field a fake army, expect it to be attacked.

If any of this bothers you, you have options.

But, as long as you play the game, you are subject to being attacked.

And, being allied is a two way street.

No one has to be your friend, so get used to rejection, or buy Gree supplied VIP.

This game doesn't have a NO ATTACK ZONE.

Until it does, and you aren't my ally, expect to be attacked.

I expect it, and get it all the time.

I then retaliate.

Modern War, people, not Modern Friend, Modern Farm, Modern Leave Me Alone; just Modern War!!!!
    Most would agree with what you're saying (especially the last sentence), but why would you want to attack someone 24/7 without a reason?

I think everyone's goal should be to have as many active members of this game as possible. This ensures that we all have plenty of competition; therefore, fuel to keep us interested in the game.

That being said the ones that whine and post vulgarities after getting hit, are not the kind of competition that I am looking for.

Post Count
    Speed, you know how I feel about the issue. War is war, but targeting someone for very personal reasons and rallying others to follow suit (e.g., they have a different opinion than your own; standing up for yourself after being openly threatened) is not trying to beat a worthy opponent who will be challenging because they have similar stats, or if they have a load of cash that you want to pilfer. To be attacked because you feel differently, well damn, that just sounds like bullying to an extent.

I've attacked and been attacked; won and lost battles alike. But there is a difference between being attacked and being specifically targeted, and repeatedly. We all know this. No matter how strong or weak someone is, nobody wants to feel as if they are being maliciously being sought out. Especially for petty reasons. This is Modern War, not Modern Sandbox.