Is there a grace period for buildings showing to rivals

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a grace period for buildings showing to rivals

Post Count

Is there a grace period for buildings showing to rivals

The past two nights I was informed of the exact times that a friend's buildings would be up for robbing for syncing purposes.

Both night I traveled back and forth my my hood to his hood for 7 minutes before the buildings actually showed up as rob-able.

Is this a known game mechanism that I am just now finding out about?

Banned
    Post Count
    Did you and your friend synchronize your watches? If not then I would have to guess that's your explanation right there.

When your buildings are ready for you to collect the server likely sees them as ready to be robbed too, so that only leaves unsynched clocks on your end as an explanation.

Post Count
    Well I guess if he's looking at a watch that is 7 minutes slow, maybe that would be the case, I just don't think that is the case in this instance.

I guess what i'm looking for is someone that has experienced a building being rob-able within 1 or 2 minutes of a known time to disprove what I'm experiencing.

Banned
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Murda View Post
    Well I guess if he's looking at a watch that is 7 minutes slow, maybe that would be the case, I just don't think that is the case in this instance.

I guess what i'm looking for is someone that has experienced a building being rob-able within 1 or 2 minutes of a known time to disprove what I'm experiencing.
    Your watch could be 7 minutes fast. Or his watch could be 3:30 slow and yours 3:30 fast.

If a building is up for you to collect, it's up for someone to rob.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Ok there is a Grace Period of 5 minutes after a building is Due Bofore Anyone Else Can see that building so say a nightclub is Due to payout at 10Am This means NO one else will see that cash sign above the building until after the 5 min grace period at 10.05 am it will become visable To ALL
    Last edited by skorpio696; 06-22-2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    CK - The Professor

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpio696 View Post
    Ok there is a Grace Period of 5 minutes after a building is Due Bofore Anyone Else Can see that building so say a nightclub is Due to payout at 10Am This means NO one else will see that cash sign above the building until after the 5 min garce period at 10.05 am it will become visable To ALL
    Thanks professor.

Dudeman, you may want to not spout off about a topic that you clearly are not informed about. I use the clock on my iPad, which is automatically synced. I assume most people when quoting times are using their phone clocks which are automatically synced.

Banned
    Post Count
    Ok there is a Grace Period of 5 minutes after a building is Due Bofore Anyone Else Can see that building so say a nightclub is Due to payout at 10Am This means NO one else will see that cash sign above the building until after the 5 min garce period at 10.05 am it will become visable To ALL
    I call shenanigans.

I've been robbed within seconds of a building being up for collection.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman View Post
    I call shenanigans.

I've been robbed within seconds of a building being up for collection.
    Me too!!! Some people stalk me and know my collections... I respect their devotion but it leads me to agree with dudeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crime City Mark View Post
    Hahaha,

I have a story about that. I probably shouldn't share it. Kinda lame, actually. Forget I said anything.

Banned
    Post Count
    This is not the case, your building is up for grabs to all at the same time it is for you.

Banned
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Murda View Post
    Thanks professor.

Dudeman, you may want to not spout off about a topic that you clearly are not informed about. I use the clock on my iPad, which is automatically synced. I assume most people when quoting times are using their phone clocks which are automatically synced.
    You're really going to tell someone 76 levels above you they don't know what they're talking about?

Ok, let your stuff sit 5 minutes and see if you get robbed. Lol!

2 iPads with automatically updated clocks won't necessarily have the same time. Different regions can show different times depending on many factors. It's a ginormous assumption to say all iPads that automatically update the clock are using the same clock to update from!

But like I said, just go ahead and let some buildings sit and see how long it takes to have them robbed. If I were a little more conniving I would tell you there is a grace period, and then I would stalk the crap out of you! I'm not like that though, but I forgot that everything you read on the Internet is true. It has to be. It's on the internets!

Don't say nobody warned you. http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...-in-Crime-City
    Last edited by dudeman; 06-21-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Link to other thread

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    I have two accounts one I have a large economy and use that as a source of income for my other account and yes I do have to wait around 5 mins before I can rob it. And I can assure you I don't need to synce my clocks cos they are both my accounts ha. And before you ask yes I have restarted the app several times to reconnect with the sever but still have to wait the 5 min period

Post Count
    A grace period is a big game changer, at least for me. Im always scrambling to get those buildings collected that I forgot were coming up.

So the new motto is "the best defense is to collect within 5 minutes"

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Depends on the ipad - if it is one with cellular access iOS will sync from the towers which are actually really good sources of time. Typically contain more than one stratum 1 time source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_site

If your iPad doesn't have cellular but is running iOS 5 and you've not gone out of your way to block outbound NTP on your network (and its hard to imagine someone doing this...). From the digging around (not in the link bellow) I've seen it suggested Apple publishes a stratum 3 NTP service for their devices.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...finally_knows/

Anywho, my suspicion is that there are likely delays, but probably unintentional. When you collect from a building the application doesn't instantly phone home and let funzio know about, it batches these events until either a periodic sync or you do some other action like deposit the money, delete a comment, quit the application, etc. Your building's collection time isn't reported back (this is why time hacks work), just what you collected. I'm not sure if when you enter a hood it pushes the time to next collection with the data (I actually doubt this), so my guess if your client caches the hood data for a bit and it isn't until that cache expires and funzio's servers catch up that you'll see the buildings as rob-able.

Granted, that's all speculation but you're dealing with a distributed system and devices that are frequently partitioned. CAP theorem says you only get to pick two of Consistence, Availability and Partitioning. We expect the game to be up all the time, our clients frequently go dark, so... you're left sacrificing some consistency.

but YMMV, who knows maybe your device sucks and is 7 minutes fast.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Ok Then let me put it this way i live in Australia & my Good friend lives in Canada we usually rob each other to Sync our buildings he will tell me exactly the time in canada time & whats left on the countdown timer When his buildings are Due And from this experience of robbing him Hundreds of times its Always been that his buildings dont show up for 5 minutes after the timer runs out And i also have left my buildings OPEN for this extra 5 minutes in order to aid in syncing them never once during this 5 minute period have ANY of my buildings been robbed So you tell me Whos going to see my hotels, office buildings. rock cafes, pirate taverns ready during that 5 minutes and just leave them No One Would So it does Work Sorry if it Doesn't Work For You But it certainly does for Me And my Friends And i Still use this method of collecting my buildings to this very Day Sure there may be some time variables but it has been tried and tested by me & Teflon Don And It Works For US
    CK - The Professor

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Munch on it View Post
    I have two accounts one I have a large economy and use that as a source of income for my other account and yes I do have to wait around 5 mins before I can rob it. And I can assure you I don't need to synce my clocks cos they are both my accounts ha. And before you ask yes I have restarted the app several times to reconnect with the sever but still have to wait the 5 min period
    Thanks Munch on it for Verifying What i Knew Was Already Happening With The So Called "Grace Period" Cheers To YOU
    CK - The Professor