General Tips for n00 (read first post) - Page 2

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: General Tips for n00 (read first post)

Raiding...raiding...raiding...hopefully not any of you guy's bases....
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinja View Post
    first rule I would say for this game is like in sales (Always Be Closing)
    The abc of this game is always be buliding/upgrading/expanding/increasing Vault
    Future update will include "General Strategy Tips," this truly is THE first rule.
    JohnStriderOfDoom | Russia | 610 686 221 | Major | lvl 139 | 500 allies [Updated 07/13/13]
    Are you an FNG? Don't know what an FNG is? Find out today!
    Click >HERE< for the FNG Guide.
    Click >HERE< for Enjoy Life's Spreadsheet

PM for ally add.

Post Count
    These are some very important points.

PM'd you. Great work here!

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinja View Post
    first rule I would say for this game is like in sales (Always Be Closing)
    The abc of this game is always be buliding/upgrading/expanding/increasing Vault
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcdoc View Post
    Hey Johnny - you forgot the most important abbreviation of all - "FNG" - F'n New Guy -LoL

Also, some others I keep repeating:

AT - Amphibious Trooper
    SS - Sea Scout
    SF - Stealth Frigate
    SH - Super Hornet

ASP - Attack Skill Points
    DSP - Defense Skill Points

I'm sure there are many more
    Quote Originally Posted by War Priest View Post
    Add that there use to be no (Level) requirement for buildings that's why some have them and others can't yet. I am tired about reading about that.

Also, it's funny how new comers always start a thread by saying "Hi"
    *these points*

This would be useful to include under valuable links. Copied from Tanner's signature.

Modern War Loot and Detailed Mission Results
    http://goo.gl/G977P

Can we request the mod to make this a sticky?
    Last edited by BafflingOdyssey; 03-20-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    MW 856 651 438

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Excellent thread - thanks for the effort.

A few comments:
    1. typo in nation's bonuses: Russia (air not sea)
    2. My advice is to leave only one friendly message in response to attacks. 'Spamming' a message wall to push your attack off another's news list will NOT work anymore (see below), and may be counterproductive. I for example will make a point of increasing my attacks.
    3. Related info worth adding to your guide. If you receive annoying, abusive or attempted spam messages you can delete two (consecutive?) messages from the same user from your wall and you then have the option to block future messages from that user.

cheers
    dns

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by doomnosee View Post
    Excellent thread - thanks for the effort.

A few comments:
    1. typo in nation's bonuses: Russia (air not sea)
    2. My advice is to leave only one friendly message in response to attacks. 'Spamming' a message wall to push your attack off another's news list will NOT work anymore (see below), and may be counterproductive. I for example will make a point of increasing my attacks.
    3. Related info worth adding to your guide. If you receive annoying, abusive or attempted spam messages you can delete two (consecutive?) messages from the same user from your wall and you then have the option to block future messages from that user.

cheers
    dns
    Thanks, typo fixed. Put a note in about not spamming as well.
    JohnStriderOfDoom | Russia | 610 686 221 | Major | lvl 139 | 500 allies [Updated 07/13/13]

PM for ally add.

Post Count
    My first post... Not even sure if I'm posting it correct... Maybe "how to post" should be one of your topics. Here some other questions.
    1.) early on I got tired of copying and pasting ally numbers so I splurged and bought $10 worth of gold and used it all on VIP status to get my allies numbers up. I had been playing for over a month and never once noticed the question mark that leads you to the explanation of the maximum number of allies allowed per level. So now I have 1080 allies... What should I do? Some say dump them (less attacks with minimal allies). In your thread you mention losing all allies when you hit 1000... FYI clearly this isn't the case for me. Also, if there is a max number of allies allowed and it doesn't matter how many allies your allies have then why do you see posts stating "join me... 1500 allies strong and counting".
    2.) you state max units is 2000, but I have 2085??? Maybe that explains next question.
    3.) when purchasing units why does the attack and deffence score of the unit not always get added or partially added to your overall a/d stats. For example, one day I decided to spend a couple 100k on scouts, after all it is probably the best bang for your buck.... But to my surprise I was all of a sudden not gaining any more a/d stats. Obviously there is a max number of each unit you can get but I cannot figure out how many. And clearly it is not the same number for each unit. With so many units to choose from, how do you determine what to purchase.
    4.) is there any "guide" from funzio. Is it really a trial and error situation? Maybe you should point that out as well.
    5.) I have a 10 million vault and I have always tried to keep a large reserve (max vault in cash on hand), but with these case drops I feel like I have a ginormous bullseye on me. Is ther any benefit to keeping your vault full? Perhaps this is more of a suggestion for the dev's, but what is the point of showing attackers your "potential" cash (vaulted and unvaulted).

I have been playing this game since Xmas. You would think that I would understand more than I do at this point. All I know is that I sometimes wake up late on the weekend and I start to panic because I'm afraid someone has already raided my stockpile, I impulsively collect money and use up my stamina before I can take a bite of lunch and I slowly play my moves at night before turning off the light and generally turn the game on one last time to double check I vaulted my money. It really is a stupid game, but then again I recorded every episode of Lost on my DVR. Perhaps the dev's (another one for your acronyms list) should hire me.

Post Count
    Sent you a pm valsta.

Post Count
    1000 allies max probably applies when you go over that amount now. The change happened recently, those with more than 1000 allies already are probably safe. Do not add to get over the amount now though.

Amount of allies is a matter of strategy and personsl choice, more on that later.

Max usable units is 2000. You can have more, the extras won't be counted as a part of your stats. Your usable unit allowance is determined by your ally count, read "the numbers" section for more on that in the FNG guide.

The guide Funzio provides can be found in their "help" section, click around the settings menu-you'll hit it.

Good luck for now, gotta go.

PM for ally add.

Lurker
    Post Count
    Great post JohnnyR. Very informative & useful.

Post Count
    A great post, and to my humility it appears right under a new thread by me asking for a resource list of useful information. However, i DID search, and I did have a look through the first few pages. I am guessing ginger snuck in (did more searching as well) and posted just before my thread.

My main question is regarding defensive buildings, I'm guessing they only add value to raids against that building. So does that mean that there is no point putting them around booster/unit buildings? Also, do they stack? can you super fortify certain buildings by having multiple defensive buildings around them???

oh..... and most important question

WHY ISNT THIS THREAD STICKIED???!!!!!
    - phx
    ---------------------------------

CRIME CITY: 961 - 740 - 867
    Modern War: 719 - 907 - 143
    Kingdom Age: 113 - 121 - 157

Banned
    Post Count
    Johnny R
    What are the negatives of having over 1000 allies?
    I have over 9800 and see a few hundred only in my list
    Thats since they all went away and only the ones added since show and
    I also have a very limited rivals list
    I was trying to delete uneeded allies and list disappeared

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by phxzee View Post

My main question is regarding defensive buildings, I'm guessing they only add value to raids against that building. So does that mean that there is no point putting them around booster/unit buildings? Also, do they stack? can you super fortify certain buildings by having multiple defensive buildings around them???

oh..... and most important question

WHY ISNT THIS THREAD STICKIED???!!!!!
    I'm not sure of the properties defensive buildings have. What we know is the halo "protects," just not sure how much or if it stacks. Also, the defense score is added to your overall defense stats in profile-not sure if that means they protect against attacks, raids or both, but there is no indication that they are NOT used for raids or attacks.

To answer the last question-to make us suffer, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzlenutz View Post
    Johnny R
    What are the negatives of having over 1000 allies?
    I have over 9800 and see a few hundred only in my list
    Thats since they all went away and only the ones added since show and
    I also have a very limited rivals list
    I was trying to delete uneeded allies and list disappeared
    Negatives of having a large ally list is that you are on the radar of others with large ally lists. The gold spenders and players with very dense armies want more allies to make use of their killer units. If you got wads of scouts and patrol boats....not good. You will be easy pickings and a weak target. You want a dense army so that you can go up against other's with similar (or ideally lower...way lower) ally counts. The idea here is to be the big fish in the little pond, you want to avoid being sharkfood. Having large amount of allies is fine as long as you can defend yourself the higher the level, the harder and more competitive things get.

It sounds like you have one of the ally glitches. Right now going over 1000 allies, going over 500 pending requests, or adding more than 100 allies at a time brings hardship. One user here lost EVERY one of their allies by adding more than one thousand-be wary. I know you're over 1000, right now, but this should be an example of modern War's failure in it's ability to handle large numbers-be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBarticus View Post
    So the unit cap is 2000 eh.... I have 1300 something and I don't need over 500. What's a good way to lose unwanted units?
    Add more allies to get more units in your attack group, minding the limits of course talked about in the original post. There really is no need to kill them off though...
    Last edited by JohnnyR; 04-09-2012 at 05:13 PM.

PM for ally add.

Post Count
    This is amazing guide, You did a great job puting in the effort to help others, Im a level 96 and i actually learned a thing or two from this guide thanx a bunch.

Banned
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritix View Post
    This is amazing guide, You did a great job puting in the effort to help others, Im a level 96 and i actually learned a thing or two from this guide thanx a bunch.
    I think I saw you on the rankings. Need some help? Pm me and I can swing by to see what we can do for you.