General Tips for n00 (read first post)

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: General Tips for n00 (read first post)

Raiding...raiding...raiding...hopefully not any of you guy's bases....
    Post Count

General Tips for new and old MW players (read first post)

The FNG Guide!

Updated 3/23/12

Free gold at tapjoy.com! Thread with all details:

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...-War-at-Tapjoy

This is a tip sheet for anyone new or old to Modern War that covers many of the basics that are all over the threads here on the forum. If you've got a tip, fact, spreadsheet, or anything to share, please PM me (click my username) or post here in the thread. This first post will be updated constantly, so don't worry about having to scroll through all of the pages of this thread-everything starts......here:

Beginner: Things everyone has to know before making a post or thread

-Gold can now be collected through tapjoy.com. Currently downloading and openning apps at tapjoy or real money purchases are the only way to get gold. Right now there is a potential of collecting about 420 gold in free apps and trial programs (Netflix and Discover card).

The numbers:
    -Allies, for each level you get to add 5 USABLE allies to your alliance. You can add more than you can use, but they will not be adding any benefit except for being POTENTIALLY beneficial in that they can be used later as you level up. Think of it this way-each level UNLOCKS 5 allies, no matter how many you have added, you are limited to five times your level. Each usable ally allows you to bring 4 units to battle. There is a max 2000 usable unit limit, achieved at level 100, however there is no limit to the amount of units one can buy or win. Only the TOP usable units will be brought to battle, based on level number and ally number.

-Allies do NOT "bring" their units for you to use in attacks. They simply allow you to use more of YOUR own units.

-Attack and defense stats. The units you purchase and their attack/defense values are what determine your attack and defense statistics. If you are level 5 you are allowed 25 usable allies and you can have 100 units maximum to attack with. The TOP 100 attacking units are what you will take to battle. For your defense score, the game counts the top 100 defensive units. Say you have 100 fighter jets (attack/defense 3/1) and 100 patrol boats (attack/defense 2/2)-you will have an attack score of 300 and a defense score of 200.

-Skill points acquired through leveling up do NOT contribute to any observable stat. However, it is believed that they impart benefit and are the "X-factor" in determining battles won or lost, but cannot be measured (yet).

Definitions and Acronyms

A/D: (attack/defense) refers to the attack and defense score listed in your profile. NOT the skill point values unless noted.

PVP: refers to raiding or attacking of another player, (player versus player). Usually to gain experience, valor, money, or to accomplish a mission goal.

PVE: (Player versus Environment) Any action or progress made in a mission goal featured in any of the maps. Actions are map exclusive and not directed toward any player.

LLP: (Low Level Player) Usually refers to a player's secondary account on a different device. Many times a "camper" account dedicated to building economy while benefiting from lessons learned from the mistakes made on the primary account.

FNG: (Effing New Guy)-self explanitory!

Camping: The act of deliberately slowing down the process of leveling up. Usually in order to build strong economy (income) and vault. Also used in order to avoid strong oppnents who raid and attack often. Camping is carried out by maintaining a low ally count, avoiding PVP, and avoiding actions that lead to gains in experience and generally focusing on economy building.

Farming: The act of repeatedly attacking a target in order to gain a specific unit, amount of cash, or other thing. Common units farmed are Desert Leader, Amphibious Trooper, and Mini-sub.

Attack: When a player attacks a rival directly for his cash.

Raid: When a player attacks a rival's BUILDING for the BUILDING's cash. Cash from buildings cannot be protected by vault.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Why does my rival at level 10 have a building even though it has a higher level requirement?
    A: Funzio did not always place level requirements on buildings. Previously, players could build all or almost all buildings from level 1. It is believed that they put level requirements in order to prevent turtling or camping at low levels.

Q: Why do I keep losing money even though I put it all in the vault?
    A: There are two ways a rival can take money from you, the "attack" and the "raid." These are two very different things, please do not interchange them. Attacking takes money directly from you, whatever cash on hand you have. This is the money the vault protects. Raiding on the other hand takes money from your money producing buildings. This money cannot be protected but by collecting your money in timely fashion.

Q: How do I get a guy to stop attacking me (any and all reasons)?
    A: Assuming you cannot just buy units to make yourself stronger, there are a few ways out of this.
    1) Level up, or let him level up-if you've not attacked him and he seems to be picking on you, try to level up-or stop your leveling up progress. Once you are a few levels away from him, you won't show up on his rival's list.
    2) Attempt to ally him, allies cannot attack another ally. Find HIS ally number, either on his wall, or perhaps other rivals walls he has posted on. It is unlikely that he'll add a person that he likes attacking, so you must take initiative.
    3) Friendly banter. If you've ever attacked him, you are on his newsfeed, and basically given him a key to directly visit your base whenever he feels like. These messages on his board through your friendly banter will eventually push your attack further down the his newsfeed until disappearing. Do not spam.

Q: Why do I lose to a weaker or evenly matched rival?
    A: There are many reasons.
    -Number one reason is that boost buildings and perhaps nation bonus are not included in stats that you see when visiting his profile. Boost buildings add a potential 20% to attack, and nation bonuses add 10%. Conceivably the stats you see can be 30% less than what he actually has.
    -Reason number 2, his skill points are higher than your attack points. Skill points influence the chances of battle outcomes, the higher your attack, the more chance you will win, the higher your opponent's defense, the higher chance he'll repel your attack.

Q: Why am I being attacked by a person 5, 10, 20 or more levels above me?
    A: It is possible that you attacked his base and that you are on his newsfeed. If you are on his newsfeed, you could be 100 or even more levels away and he can still find and attack you. This is one of the reasons to pick your battles wisely, don't be attacking anyone you'll regret coming back to get you.

Oddities and things to consider:

-At this present moment boost bonuses to attack and defense scores are NOT included in viewing your opponent's a/d score in their profile. The boost bonus IS visible when viewing your own profile.

-DO NOT ACCEPT MORE THAN 1000 ALLIES. You will lose them all if you do this!!! This is all over the forums right now, but if the devs don't feel it necessary to change this, here is your warning!

Fast Facts:

-Vault limit is 10,000,000.
    -Useful Ally limit is 500 (any over does nothing).
    -Useful unit limit is 2000.
    -Selling GOLD buildings gives you NOTHING BACK.
    -Selling regular buildings gives you half in game money back.

Nation Bonuses:

UK: 10% toward Sea Power (unit's attack and defense point values on sea units is increased by 10%)
    -UK has the highest possible defensive stats when nation bonus is factored in.

Russia: 10% toward Air Power (unit's attack and defense point values on air units is increased by 10%)
    -Russia has highest possible attack stats when nation bonus is factored in.

Germany: 10% toward Ground Power (unit's attack and defense point values on ground units is increased by 10%)
    -Germany will not have highest stats in either attack or defense category, but the highest valor unit in ground has the best defense stats of all the valor units.

China: 10% toward Infantry Power (unit's attack and defense point values on Infantry units is increased by 10%)
    -China also will not have any particularly powerful stats in Attack or Defense categories when buying Infantry units, however, the GIGN unit is the cheapest of the "high value" valor units.

USA: 10% faster stamina recovery.
    -Stamina points are used in attacking others, this allows for more PVP action.

Iran: 10% faster energy recovery.
    -Faster energy recovery allows one to complete mission goals (PVE) faster.

Useful Links:

Tramp Stamp's Opening and Economy Guide-
    http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthre...n-economy-base

Building Update Cost and Output Spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=4
    Last edited by JohnnyR; 06-04-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    JohnStriderOfDoom | Russia | 610 686 221 | Major | lvl 139 | 500 allies [Updated 07/13/13]
    Are you an FNG? Don't know what an FNG is? Find out today!
    Click >HERE< for the FNG Guide.
    Click >HERE< for Enjoy Life's Spreadsheet

PM for ally add.

Banned
    Post Count
    I like the idea, but I think we all know that people are still going to post the "HELP ME" threads to ask a simple question such as why am I losing a battle.

Consistent Contributor Colonelbob's Avatar
    Post Count

Awesome

Fantastic. This is just what I'm looking for. Thanks a bunch. The beginner section is clear and consider and has really helped my understanding. Thanks.

Colonelbob 671 843 123

Post Count
    True War Priest, however if given the tools to understand I think most can figure out strategy, rather than going the piecemeal route for each problem/issue/question. A broader understanding can be easier to acquire once all important info is on the table.

Plus, this might give way to more advanced discussion in the future. Like how learning irrigation and the domestication of animals gave way to more advanced cities, language and mathematics. Except in the make belief world of Modern War. ;-)
    Last edited by JohnnyR; 03-12-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    JohnStriderOfDoom | Russia | 610 686 221 | Major | lvl 139 | 500 allies [Updated 07/13/13]

PM for ally add.

Post Count
    I will admit that I was one of those people who posted a HELP ME message, but when you're fairly new some of the information posted can leave you more confused than before you visited the forum. A lot of abbreviations and acronyms are used that a newbie may not understand. It took me a minute to understand "pvp" and "pve". I didn't know what "farming" and "camping" was. I've been reading for a few days and I'm still fuzzy on some things.

That being said, I think your idea is great. I know I can use a "one stop shopping" comprehensive guide. Will come in handy.

Banned
    Post Count
    Yeah, define PVE, PVP, and A/D. That'll be good for starters.

Banned
    Post Count
    You sure your ready for this. Your signing up for a disaster.

Post Count
    Added a definitions and acronyms section, thanks for the suggestions Sugarymama and War Priest. Also, appreciating the gratitude ColonelBob, glad this is helpful in a way.

Also new is an "oddity" section, the first entry being that the boost buildings aren't affecting the stats in enemy profiles. More to come.

Also, planning on sticking in links to topics discussing certain elements as reference, keeping the entries in the first post as brief explanations and in depth discussions for the threads.

PM for ally add.

Banned
    Post Count
    Not bad Johnny, this is coming along much better than I thought it would. Keep it up!

Post Count
    first rule I would say for this game is like in sales (Always Be Closing)
    The abc of this game is always be buliding/upgrading/expanding/increasing Vault
    Current mood -Claude Debussy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlvUepMa31o

CC - Dillinja 145 319 413
    MW - iKill4Fun 243 199 681

Main Game
    Modern War
    Post Count
    Hey Johnny - you forgot the most important abbreviation of all - "FNG" - F'n New Guy -LoL

Also, some others I keep repeating:

AT - Amphibious Trooper
    SS - Sea Scout
    SF - Stealth Frigate
    SH - Super Hornet

ASP - Attack Skill Points
    DSP - Defense Skill Points

I'm sure there are many more
    Don't whine about a problem unless you're prepared to offer a reasonable solution.

I Buy / Sell REAL Gold and Silver everyday at www.PacificCoinExchange.com
    Great Blog: http://www.pacificcoinexchange.com/c...inancial-news/

Banned
    Post Count
    Add that there use to be no requirement for buildings that's why some have them and others can't yet. I am tired about reading about that.

Also, it's funny how new comers always start a thread by saying "Hi"

O so I'm camping, weird i thought it was the complete opposite like what people refer to what players did in old FPS on multiplayer, camping spawn points. So i thought it meant camping one player over and over again on this game, now I know what it really means, thanks.

Consistent Contributor Colonelbob's Avatar
    Post Count
    Is there any sort of general rule for how much defence you should have by level? I know it is different for all players, especially gold/free but is there a formula or best practise to keep? As in, by level 5 you should have 500 defence, but level 10, 1000 defence etc.?

When I look at my rival list (level 28) the attack/defence scores are all over the play ranging from 400 to one player I saw with 5500. What should I be aiming for?
    Modern War - 671 843 123 Kingdom Age - 729 525 689All allies welcome. Colonelbob in games and in forum.

Post Count
    New update guys.

FAQ, Fast Facts, a few warnings, a few new definitions, and nation bonus basics explained.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys.

Minor changes next time, hopefully I can get a bit of input here:

Definition of turtle strategy and new definition for "camping." Both are unique strategies IMO, and I think I have mischaracterized camping a bit, somebody's post regarding camping in other FPS games got me thinking about a better definition.

Links! I need links to good threads to reference to. Thinking about including good links to discussions regarding the different issues and FAQ people have here so one can go in and see what was said, and get some in depth info.

Alrighty, that's all for now, thanks for the interest!

PM for ally add.