Modern War: Douchebag Hall of Fame - Page 7

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Modern War: Douchebag Hall of Fame

Master of Musings
    Post Count
    That's how your thinking process works when you try to write on your iPad while you are talking to customers on the phone. Sometimes I can't remember where I was and just start where my thoughts are at the moment. Sure makes for cool reading. I also the the auto correct which literally puts words in your mouth.

Ha - I know exactly what you mean. The iPad "correction" creates some whacky and bizarre results.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by MWDoucheCounter View Post
    I am glad that we can raise a serious discussion here, and appreciate the input of everyone, while simultaneously lamenting that some people continue to be defensive, which in any event I equally understand.

The real difficulty in comprehension that I'm having with spending real funds - especially in the range of several hundreds to thousands of USD or equivalent amounts in other currencies - is the cost/benefit calculation, particularly when compared to the relative expense of the other types and requirements of games mentioned on this post.

For example, take WOW. I've never played the game, but I find it easily distinguishable from this one, in terms of the spending involved. First, it's a pay subscription only game, right? Meaning that, if you want to play, you have to pay. Second, paying the monthly fee seems, at least to me, to give a player access to a game with an extreme amount of content, as well as a really huge user base with millions of players. Third, in my understanding of the game, it is relatively complex in structure, requiring players to make strategic choices in their character development, partnerships and in game decisions (e.g., the make up and roles of players within a group to accomplish specific goals and/or tasks). Fourth, to my knowledge, the game has a rather complex social system, with players interacting with and between guilds and alliances, among other things.

To me, all of these qualities are absent in a game such as MW, and so I'm left striving to understand the impetus for the decisions of certain players, but not others, to spend so much on this game. Indeed, the only persuasive justification with which I am left, at the end of the day, is that Funzio has developed a game economy and system which appeals to the most base of human instincts, whether the players spending the most on this game are willing to recognize or concede as such, or not. And god damn it, if I don't love Funzio for this admirable and wicked genius.

To take one example, if you played WOW for four years at $13 USD per month, that would have cost roughly $624 USD (I think - math make brain hurt not well so good). For hundreds and hundreds of hours of entertainment and diversion over a four year period (as an aside, I really get this point, by the way, and tremendously so - I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 days, and also play games to decompress and reduce stress - something about rote activities really helps me break obsessive job worries), you paid $624 USD. In relative terms, that is a very cheap form of entertainment. And not to mention, the game is still going strong, and consistently provides new content and things to do.

I could also provide many examples for PC and console games, including DLC, but I don't think it is necessary (e.g., would you spend $300 for a console game, inclusive of DLC? That would seem to cause a riot.)

Here, these aspects seem conspicuously absent. Yet, you see people spending far more than that over a period of mere weeks for little to no actual game content, let alone anything to do other than repeatedly hitting a button. There is nothing to create, nothing resembling a community, and no apparent strategic decisions to be made, except perhaps whether an opponent is deemed too strong to press a button to "attack." Maybe someone might disagree, but if so, I'd really like to see some specific examples rather than conclusory statements to the contrary.

So the only impression with which I am left - and that has not been disabused, and seems supported by some posts on this thread - is that people pay a premium in a game like this to solely beat up other players. Nothing else. And by appealing to the base instincts of players, this is what I meant.

Paying for instant gratification.

Many have been distracted by some notion that I have a problem with people spending money for instant gratification, or using their disposable funds how they deem fit. For the millionth time, I don't care about that. I know people may choose to spend their money how they deem appropriate. I am only trying to figure out why certain people spend so much money on a game like this, other than the reason I already mentioned. I have yet to see an alternative justification, at least one persuasively argued here.

This is not interpretation as a "psychiatrist," although I think you may have meant "psychologist" (The distinction is that psychiatrists are actual MDs with medical degrees, whereas psychologists are third rate social scientists that don't go to medical school and reach conclusions through clinical and, at the most sophisticated end, experimental results. That said, this games strikes me as an awesome experimental psychology test on a macro level.). Rather, this is common sense observation. To wit, I have no doubt that the system developed by Funzio is far more similar to a gambling style payoff than anything. Manipulative? You bet.

Leading to another question, I beg anyone to answer, exactly what is being "cultivated" in a game like this?
    alrite. Now you got me into thinking...

I couldn't agree more that MMORPG games have a better graphics, stronger playability and far more comprehensive game play experience. I used to be into games like that and fascinated about equipment refinery system.

But games like that also require playtime, a computer with better-than-average configuration and many fighting skills and micro-management(which takes long time to master.)

I still remember the times i stayed up all night grinding for experience or some legendary gears; I can vividly recall my excitement when i successfully refined my weapon to +10, followed by my ass-kicking later on in PvP.

In conventional sense, that's the kinda game a true gamer would play. However, the trend of game has changed for me...I start to feel too mature to play games that require too much game time, remembering various tactic to crack all bosses and instance and practicing PvP skills associated with different classes...you see,im no longer a teenager nerd who can spend the whole weekend sitting in front of a computer monitor...

i dig MW type of game for the moment, especially when its accessible on a mobile device. I can open the game client on commute, in class, at work and no one even knows i'm playing a game on a phone....

In addition, MW is easy... No mission strategy to remember, no grinding for experience or equipment, no guild obligation and schedule to follow. I don't have to stay playing days and nights to secure my spot on the server... Just a few clicks once awhile with a phone on the go.
    it fits me perfectly considering the amount of my spare time.

MW is a simulation EDU game. i enjoy this type of game experience when i first started playing railrod tycoon. I really can't tell you the feeling if you are not into this type of game. I get my joy and fulfillment when i c the empire i build up.
    some like real time strategy; some like first person shooting; some like action sports; some like simulation sports manager games...
    I like edu games; i like playing games on a mobile phone with internet access 24/7' i like multi player online games. thats why im willing to spend on MW
    It's true that there are some more real interesting games, but how can i enjoy the fun game play when i dont have time and condition to actually play it? Just now, i saw an ad on youtube about call of duty: modern warfare 3... it looked awesome. If only i were 5 years youger...
    Last edited by zynshmily; 01-02-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Awesome response Z - I totally get your perspective. Thanks!

Master of Musings
    Post Count
    That is exactly what I meant when I said I could just put it down without worrying about it. I would probably have to get a divorce if I started playing the other types of games on a console or computer as my wife would say I am ignoring her. She doesn't mind me surfing he web, etc on the iPad, as I can still hold a conversation. Try that with the other games and you lose battles, and trying to play without concentrating is just not fun. I am 50 now, and not many wives can appreciate a gamer.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed ump View Post
    I am 50 now, and not many wives can appreciate a gamer.
    50 years old? Respect you old man
    MW Pvt Palmer
    pm if you want to add me

Post Count
    My son is a semi-pro Halo player, so I know how much time those games take. I'm with Speed ump, my wife wouldn't put up with me playing games like that with all the hours it takes, especially late into the night. We need to have a special bracket for over 50 players here, maybe we can get some free gold, lol.

Post Count
    Senior Citizen's discount. The free gold comes with complementary packets of Sweet & Low.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by frenda View Post
    My son is a semi-pro Halo player, so I know how much time those games take. I'm with Speed ump, my wife wouldn't put up with me playing games like that with all the hours it takes, especially late into the night. We need to have a special bracket for over 50 players here, maybe we can get some free gold, lol.
    I'm in the over 50 club too, starting to look not all that exclusive here! Anyway zynshmily mentioned Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, my playing time's over 10 days in that since the game came out in November and my wife hasn't complained yet, no fighting over the TV remote and I'm close enough to yell at to "put the kettle on"!

I only started playing online when Call of Duty 4 came out 4 years ago and I currently I play modern warfare 3 along with my son which is great. We play in a clan that has several 50 somethings and I think a couple of 60 somethings now too. One interesting observation I'd make is that the older players in the clan tend to have more disposable income than the young ones, to that end they tend to play on better hardware, faster pc's with better graphics cards and larger monitors, in a way you could call this their gold spend, which helps counteract the better reactions of the younger players.

Post Count
    I didn't say exclusive, lol, the more the better. I wish I had the time to play some of the online games, I used to love doing that when I was younger and could spend the whole night playing Silent Service on my Atari 1040ST. How's that for dating yourself?

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by frenda View Post
    I didn't say exclusive, lol, the more the better. I wish I had the time to play some of the online games, I used to love doing that when I was younger and could spend the whole night playing Silent Service on my Atari 1040ST. How's that for dating yourself?
    Yep I'd an Atari 520STF
    Last edited by Wildfire; 01-03-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Post Count
    Cheapskate!!! Just kidding, my first computer was the 520ST.

Post Count
    I understand why you older 50+ guys would like to play a game like modern war, where you dont have to spend too much time or anything. However, that still does not explain why some of you like to throw away the average persons 4 month salary within a week to get stronger at a game. Just play the game strategically how it is supposed to be played and honestly you'll probably get a lot more enjoyment out of gaining strength or beating people without having to throw down thousands of dollars.

So your wives would divorce you if you spent a few hours a night playing an MMORPG/console game, but it is fine to spend $10000 on a simple ios game? That's strange.

Post Count
    I bought $10 worth of Gold, once, and realized that it would be a money pit. And I'm certainly not spending a months salary on the game. Some people on here should switch to decaf, before jumping to too many conclusions based on a few line posts in this forum.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Well JMC I'm not in that category either, I've still got the 10 gold bars that you get at the start and haven't bought any. I've stated my own case often enough in here, I play games for a challenge not to buy success.