Modern War Tortoise guide for newbies. Slow and steady.....

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern War Tortoise guide for newbies. Slow and steady.....

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count

Ultra economy building and enviable win loss percentage guide for newbies

You don't have to spend any real dollars to have good income. The key to this game (for someone not spending real dollars) is to camp from the beginning. Stop all leveling activities and attack no one and do no missions. Also do not add any alliance members unlike Crime City, which I find if employing the same strategy you should max alliance and equip with all best weapons and armor, etc.

Currently at level 3.
    Missions completed 2
    Fights won 5
    Fights lost 0
    Successful raids/Failed raids 0
    Alliance members 1
    # of units 13
    Alliance attack 57
    Alliance defense 59
    Income per hour 82,175
    Money 6,004,760
    No gold purchased.

My friend's account employing the same strategy got bumped to level 5 with attacks when he decided to max alliance members but quickly learned to dump all.

He's at level 5.
    Missions completed 2
    Fights won 40
    Fights lost 3
    Successful raids/Failed raids 0
    Alliance members 1
    # of units 35
    Alliance attack 71
    Alliance defense 87
    Income per hour 76,858
    Money 6,482,553
    No gold purchased.
    4 guard towers

Both accounts have the max buildings available to purchase without gold

By concentrating on establishing a strong income base in the beginning will allow easier upgrade of all units, buildings, base expansion with a lower chance of getting attacked and/or raided. Also, there is no need to worry much about losing units during down time as players are not attacking much in the beginning. New players are in essence not seasoned enough in the beginning and chances are would not be able to penetrate your strong defense. Buy heavy gunner, anti aircraft vehicle, harrier jet and stealth boat as soon as possible to fortify against attacks. Once purchased sit back and upgrade income buildings and expand base at your leisure.

For those reading this guide who have leveled higher camping is still a viable option. Stop all further activity and concentrate on upgrading money buildings and if necessary invest in defense units. Drop all alliance members and hopefully you will fall off the radar of larger better equipped rivals.

************************************************** ******************************************
    Note: This is a hardcore camping guide with emphasis on not leveling at all cost coupled with maintaining an enviable win loss percentage.
    ************************************************** ******************************************
    Last edited by emcee; 01-23-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Stats update and adding to guide

Post Count
    Good solid, logical approach.
    Modern War
    IOS - Agent Orange - ID 863 440 860
    Free player
    Playing since 11/08/2011
    Level 240+

Android - Agent Orange -ID 179 321 004
    Free Player since 7/18/12
    Level 33+

War of Nations - Agent Orange - Quit the game
    Free Player since 5/30/13

Post Count
    Figures people cheat. What a ****ing joke. And I know you'll be like "It's not cheating.." or something like "Don't like it, don't play."

Well, I play the correct way. I don't need to be a fag loser who bends the rules to make tons of money. ****ing loser.
    It's only impossible until you've tried it.

Post Count
    A little inappropriate don't you think? It's a game, people cheat, c'est la vie. I know that I am not being held against my will and being forced to play this game.
    588 631 150 MW

844 247 432 CC

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Djin View Post
    Figures people cheat. What a ****ing joke. And I know you'll be like "It's not cheating.." or something like "Don't like it, don't play."

Well, I play the correct way. I don't need to be a fag loser who bends the rules to make tons of money. ****ing loser.
    I don't know where you've come to this conclusion that camping is cheating. Having read your posting history you've obviously have issues with this game.

It's comical that you play the correct way as there are no rules to playing this game. As long as you are not hacking the game and actually cheating every other way of playing is absolutely fine. Even those people who want to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars buying gold is fine. By the way I am in the no gold camp. If you don't like this maybe you should stick to solitaire.

Merry Xmas
    Last edited by emcee; 12-24-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by angelica View Post
    A little inappropriate don't you think? It's a game, people cheat, c'est la vie. I know that I am not being held against my will and being forced to play this game.
    I knew someone would say this. It's a game that I enjoy. I shouldn't have to worry about people "camping" and cheating. You have nothing to say because you probably are one of those people.

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    I don't know where you've come to this conclusion that camping is cheating. Having read your posting history you've obviously have issues with this game.

It's comical that you play the correct way as there are no rules to playing this game. As long as you are not hacking the game and actually cheating every other way of playing is absolutely fine. Even those people who want to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars buying gold is fine. By the way I am in the no gold camp. If you don't like this maybe you should stick to solitaire.

Merry Xmas
    Cheating is something when the game isn't designed to do it. It's getting the edge against people, and the majority of people wouldn't do this, so yeah, it's cheating. There are no rules, but people shouldn't have that much gold at that level, and yes like I said, it's considered cheating.

even though you "can" do it, I know it was not designed to play it that way.

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    Let's look at this in another way. People who are born with a silver spoon in their mouth, go to the best schools, get great jobs are cheating right? Cheating in life.
    People who come from nothing, work hard to get the best grades in school, graduate with honours, get an entry level job but applies themselves, are thrifty and invest their money into, stocks or real estate and become self made millionaires are cheating in life as well.
    Then there are people like Bernie Madoff who create their own wealth by defrauding others.
    Are all these people in your eyes cheaters because they don't play the game of life like you do?
    Not sure how many times I need to reiterate, as long as you are not hacking the game everything else you do is fine and is not cheating. How many people here are waiting with pitch forks and torches ready to storm Funzio's gate with you leading them?

My friend, you should stop being so cynical and put on a pair of rose coloured glasses or better yet move to North Korea, where your rules may have some weight.

Happy holidays
    Last edited by emcee; 12-24-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Djin, you have ranted in several posts about how you've been getting beaten up in the game, people have freely given advice as to how to play the game effectively and counteract those who have spent large sums of money on the game. Playing the game "properly" as you describe it without spending real money will get you beaten up in the early stages by anyone who has gold units. The best way to counteract them is to build a strong economy and defence until you are well established, but it is frustratingly slow and for a good reason. The developers want you to spend real money to get buildings and upgrades completed quickly as well as spending real money on units.

Camping isn't cheating, it's a tactic, just like any other. Some people go for maximum allies, some do every mission in sight, some only play pvp, some do a bit of everything. In all cases you have to balance your economy or you'll get in trouble with the high unit loss in the game. I attacked everything I could up to about level 25 at which point the unit loss started to swamp what I could generate, the only choices to keep progressing were either to send real money or slow up and improve my economy. Well looking at the spend from some of he people who were attacking and raiding me the real money option was a non starter and besides I'd call that "cheating" it's much more satisfying to hold your own through developing the right tactics rather than buying success. Also with the way the developers have changed the game, look at some of Agent Orange and Tramp Stamp's posts and you'll get the picture, the game has changed so that currently you really need a good economy to pay for attacking as it's near certain to always run at a loss now. Also when build times hit several days camping will obviously go along with this it's the nature of the game.

Post Count
    I refuse to camp. IT was not intended, therefor it's cheating. Just like corner shooting in games like Call of Duty. I think I'm done playing this game because the tactics are ****ing worthless, just like the developers.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Call of Duty eh, I've just reached Prestige 10 in MW3! Now corner shooting as you call it is one annoying element, along with bunny hopping, quick scope sniping, and in MW3 Akimbo's, however, as the game allows you to do them all they are just tactics they are not cheating. You can use them or counteract them, it's a personal choice, depending on how you want to play.

Exactly the same applies to Modern War, you can use whatever tactics or combinations of tactics you like, if they aren't working it's not the games fault, it just means you need to change your strategy.

Steady Scribe
    Post Count
    Let me propose a new rule: You may only expand your base in the lower right corner. Everyone who does it differently is a pathetic cheater. I refuse to play with people who have a square base, because this obviously means they are homosexuals, people who expand in the upper right are black, and people with irregularly shaped bases should be banned at once, as any word i could use to label them would be far to offensive to post.
    Crime City: 679 564 057 - Modern War: 951 868 702 - Kingdom Age: 440 364 604

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Djin View Post
    I refuse to camp. IT was not intended, therefor it's cheating. Just like corner shooting in games like Call of Duty. I think I'm done playing this game because the tactics are ****ing worthless, just like the developers.
    How do YOU know what was NOT intended in the game? Use your brain. This game is about economics. If you want more guns, you get less butter. If you want more butter, you get less guns...

Steady Scribe
    Post Count
    Obvious troll..

Let's use Djinn's logic the fun way.

1. Game's prime directive is to make money.
    2. If you don't do what the game is made to do, you cheat.
    3. If you don't buy gold, you cheat.
    4. Install the game and you are already cheating.

Spass.

Saying camping is cheating is like saying studying the stock market before you invest is cheating. JUST SPEND IT ALL AT THE PRETTIEST LOGO!!
    CC - 455 397 961
    MW - 893 521 954

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyLife View Post
    How do YOU know what was NOT intended in the game?
    I agree, unless he has some inside knowledge that no one else is privy to? But what would that indicate? I have not come across a Funzio developed manual on how to play this game, therefore I am playing it how I think it should be played and how I want to play it. If this includes camping or slowing down my rate of progression, then that is what I am going to do!
    588 631 150 MW

844 247 432 CC

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    You know, the other funny thing about this is if you play the game in such a way that you level consistently (doing missions all day is an unstoppable source of xp) and on the side attack everyone around you, you'll probably never have to deal with a camper coming up from behind you. The whole point of camping is that you don't level...

If somehow you play this game the "right" way and get attacked by a camper, chances are that camper is on his way up anyways and will blow right by you (however, I don't think anyone has seen this happen in this game yet as I don't think any of the campers have truly pulled together a competitive advantage).

Anyway, camp on campers! Level on levelers! Spend on spenders! And rant on ranters! I think this game truly has a little something for everyone.
    -duder
    Crime City: 674 597 607

Modern War: 749 606 018