Why battle on 4th of July? - Page 5

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why battle on 4th of July?

Master of Musings
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstik View Post
    I've forgotten more about football than you'll ever know, sister.
    Would that be football or "football"
    "The Tokyo Rose of the Trailer Park"

"None of your business" -and that's a quote.
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by sister morphine View Post
    "Soccer" is just shorthand for association football. But given that it is the form of the game where the ball is controlled exclusively with the feet, it's also a given that should be known as football.

American football, like Aussie rules and others are just bastardised forms of rugby football; invented at a posh school by a cheat who picked up the ball and ran with it! You can all look up the history of football if so inclined.
    In America, Football (NFL variety) is the only universally American created sport where the feet play a role with the "ball." Not baseball... Not basketball ... So it makes perfect sense to call it football for us.

We don't really care what the English/Europeans/et cetera feel it should be called. See, we're Americans, and while you were harrumphing about the Sun Never Setting on the British Empire, we pretty much stole it from you culturally, and if you wish to revel on about all the problems you guys created while sundown never came, we'll go right ahead.

Thanks for your input.
    "When the going gets weird
    The Weird turn pro."
    -- Hunter S Thompson, True American

Post Count
    Brits are just jealous because they know they've already lost the battle over "football" in the English speaking world. The NFL isn't going to change the name of its game, ESPN isn't going to confuse people by calling both games "football," and ESPN knows which side its bread is buttered on. Fight as long as you like, but it's "soccer."

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Dippy, may be a little harsh in this thread, but he's right...
    Still mad at Bostick.

I'll be back when the moderation is reasonable. Enjoy the forum you created, Gree.

Post Count
    I'm not a fan of sports, but I'll watch a game of baseketball any day
    Double Negative is always recruiting. T10
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34FoTYwwlIQ
    Line id: evan1000

Post Count
    Great insight, evan. You've managed to go off topic in a troll thread.
    Still mad at Bostick.

I'll be back when the moderation is reasonable. Enjoy the forum you created, Gree.

Post Count
    Brits are just jealous because they know they've already lost the battle over "football" in the English speaking world. The NFL isn't going to change the name of its game, ESPN isn't going to confuse people by calling both games "football," and ESPN knows which side its bread is buttered on. Fight as long as you like, but it's "soccer."

How have we lost the battle in the English speaking world? Only in North America is NFL called football. In the UK 'soccer' is football, New Zealand it's rugby union and Australia it depends what part of the country you live (Aussie Rules or Rugby League). Even Ireland have their own version, Gaelic football. You've a very poor idea about the world outside your own insular world.

Post Count
    Just wait... you'll see.
    Still mad at Bostick.

Post Count
    Just wait... you'll see.

Lol, you're trying to import your throwball junk into England, just 'cos a couple of games sell out at Wembley Stadium, doesn't mean your daft game is catching on over here. Even Miley Cyrus can sell out Wembley! We'll see the NFL expansionist experiment crash and burn if they think it's going to catch on over here.

Post Count
    I'm not talking about the nfl going global, I'm talking about the fact that the U.S. dominates the television. In the long term, soccer is going to be the name of the game. Get used to it.
    Still mad at Bostick.

"None of your business" -and that's a quote.
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    How have we lost the battle in the English speaking world? Only in North America is NFL called football. In the UK 'soccer' is football, New Zealand it's rugby union and Australia it depends what part of the country you live (Aussie Rules or Rugby League). Even Ireland have their own version, Gaelic football. You've a very poor idea about the world outside your own insular world.
    I could be wrong here, but since I really could care less about it, I'll go ahead and say, Brendy Old Boy, I'm suspecting that the good old US of A has more English speaking people in it than Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand (where I guess soccer is the big deal). Now Canada (our friends to the North- those Canucleheads) have something called Canadian Football, which I believe IS what I would call Football and you might see as just another blot against the Empire.

Like I said, I don't care. Talley Ho!!!!!!!!!
    "When the going gets weird
    The Weird turn pro."
    -- Hunter S Thompson, True American