GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: "Those who cannot remember the past..."

Articulate Author
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count

"Those who cannot remember the past..."

As a relatively young man, much of history has been colored for me. Figures like Ghandi and MLK have been whitewashed, while it's almost unbearable rudeness to even touch on any positive points Hitler or Stalin may have had. Truth is, figures in history are neither black nor white; every evil man had at least one good quality, and every virtuous man his flaw. These must all be taken into consideration when measuring the worth of an individual.

The same can be said of governments. Since I wasn't alive during the time of the Soviet Empire, much less the Nazi regime, everything I've learned about these governments has been colored by biased sources. One thing I am sure of, however, is the ruthlessness with which they squashed dissent. To this day, countries like Russia, China and North Korea have used a tactic known as the Suppression of Dissent. One popular reference work states, "Suppression of dissent occurs when an individual or group which is more powerful than another tries to directly or indirectly censor, persecute or otherwise oppress the other party, rather than engage with and constructively respond to or accommodate the other party's arguments or viewpoint." (italics added) It is invariable that governments like these that treat their citizens in this way, usually under the guise of maintaining "moral cleanness", are vilified, hated, despised, and condemned by both their citizens and by history.

In a completely unrelated note. I miss Weasel already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    You're not playing the game anymore, son. The game is playing you, and not only is it winning, it's kicking your ass.

Post Count
    Parties are stupid. The fact that "there are more republicans in congress and nothing is being passed" isn't because of the fact that there were more republicans in congress, it's because parties are so fixated on gaining power that they don't do what's best for the country, they do what's best for their party.

I was watching the show "House of Cards", and although he did absolutely terrible things to gain power, he actually did become a good president.

This speech was spot on: http://blackchristiannews.com/2015/0...welfare-state/
    Double Negative is always recruiting. T10
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34FoTYwwlIQ
    Line id: evan1000

Post Count
    Read the code of conduct evan, and drop the politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Dippy, may be a little harsh in this thread, but he's right...
    Still mad at Bostick.

I'll be back when the moderation is reasonable. Enjoy the forum you created, Gree.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstik View Post
    Read the code of conduct evan, and drop the politics.
    Then this thread should be locked. Where are the mods when you need em?

Post Count
    Nothing political about this thread until you started in.
    Still mad at Bostick.

I'll be back when the moderation is reasonable. Enjoy the forum you created, Gree.

Articulate Author
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan1000 View Post
    Then this thread should be locked. Where are the mods when you need em?
    Aww. I thought you liked me, Evan.
    You're not playing the game anymore, son. The game is playing you, and not only is it winning, it's kicking your ass.

Post Count
    It was sarcasm. Lmao. This is the off topic forum, there's nothing wrong with my tiny peak into politics.. which are also stupid.

Post Count
    God have you ever been right about anything in your life evan?
    Still mad at Bostick.

Articulate Author
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstik View Post
    God have you ever been right about anything in your life evan?
    At least I like you, Evan.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan1000 View Post
    Parties are stupid. The fact that "there are more republicans in congress and nothing is being passed" isn't because of the fact that there were more republicans in congress, it's because parties are so fixated on gaining power that they don't do what's best for the country, they do what's best for their party.
    They do what's best for their party because that's what they think is best for their country. Don't form your political opinions from Hollywood writers and actors, form them by understanding policy. And please form them before you vote for the first time.

As to the OP, MLK had an extra marital affair or two, but was a good man. Hitler may have given a child a lollipop at some point, but was a horrible man. Yes, there is good and evil in every man, but I think history is treating Hitler and Stalin pretty fairly. There is no kind deed possible that could come close to reconciling the murder of an entire population of people, based on race or religion.