Question for mods

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for mods

Banned
    Post Count

Question for mods

Will I get in trouble if I go back to using the avatar I had when I signed up?

In case you forgot, this was my avatar at the time:

[removed]
    Last edited by Bolt; 05-05-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Removed offensive image.

Post Count
    Sorry, that's naming and shaming people of a specific ethnic group. I'll have to lock this thread too

#LOCKED
    Double Negative is always recruiting. T10
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34FoTYwwlIQ
    Line id: evan1000

Post Count
    Yes, and you should now be permanently banned. Good luck to you.

Post Count
    Leave the moderating to the mods, right? He asked a question.
    Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Dippy, may be a little harsh in this thread, but he's right...
    Still mad at Bostick.

I'll be back when the moderation is reasonable. Enjoy the forum you created, Gree.

Lurker
    Post Count
    Lolsies, that picture is an ethnic, religious, and racial caricature and it is patently offensive.

Articulate Author
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Beak View Post
    Lolsies, that picture is an ethnic, religious, and racial caricature and it is patently offensive.
    If you're easily offended, I would like to be the first to recommend switching off your computer and drastically limiting your time on the internet. Or you can do what grownups do and not let it offend you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    You're not playing the game anymore, son. The game is playing you, and not only is it winning, it's kicking your ass.

Lurker
    Post Count
    I do not expect to find crudely anti Semitic imagery in my Crime City forums, this is true.

I pointed out what was obvious, but I should not have presumed that others would be aware or care. I've said what I intended, and will say no more.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Yes, my Führer.
    Last edited by Lolsies; 05-04-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Banned
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Lots of people have beards. Lots of people have large honkers. Lots of people have two hands that can be held together in front of themselves. Lots of people have the ability to make a facial expression resembling whatever the expression in that image is meant to be.

None of those things are anything that should reasonably cause any rational, intelligent individual to become offended. Being offended by something is a choice you make, and it cannot be controlled pre-emptively by anyone with whom you may interact. Don't put the blame for your becoming offended on others, own it, figure out why you have allowed something to offended you, understand that others think differently than you, and grow as an individual.

Banned
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by I Love Money View Post
    Will I get in trouble if I go back to using the avatar I had when I signed up?

In case you forgot, this was my avatar at the time:
    No, the image is not fine. It falls under racial or religious slur under our code of conduct as that image was used to disparage jews during world war two. Coupled with your forum name "I love money" it is probably one of the oldest jewish stereotypes in existence. But you knew that right? I'm only bothering to explain this for those who might not understand the context since nobody has context for every questionable image or slur in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Locke View Post
    If you're easily offended, I would like to be the first to recommend switching off your computer and drastically limiting your time on the internet. Or you can do what grownups do and not let it offend you.
    These forums are not a "free speech" zone and are not a place to push the "boundaries" of what people find questionable or not. By all means use sites that are designed for that purpose but this forum is for discussing a video game called Crime City. Furthermore, we do not tolerate racial caricatures as per our code of conduct, that should be clear.

Let me be clear: we are not saying that this forum is rated "E" and that all you can talk about going forward is My Little Pony™ and lollipops; but from time to time we will make the call to remove something that not everyone finds questionable and that should be OK. What any given person is offended by varies greatly and this should come as no surprise to anybody.

Post Count
    I, for one, would be all in favor of banning all conversation not related to My Little Pony.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Dippy, may be a little harsh in this thread, but he's right...
    Still mad at Bostick.

I'll be back when the moderation is reasonable. Enjoy the forum you created, Gree.

Consistent Contributor
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Unless ponies are fighting transformers, I don't want to hear about them.

Banned
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
    No, the image is not fine. It falls under racial or religious slur under our code of conduct as that image was used to disparage jews during world war two. Coupled with your forum name "I love money" it is probably one of the oldest jewish stereotypes in existence. But you knew that right? I'm only bothering to explain this for those who might not understand the context since nobody has context for every questionable image or slur in the world.

These forums are not a "free speech" zone and are not a place to push the "boundaries" of what people find questionable or not. By all means use sites that are designed for that purpose but this forum is for discussing a video game called Crime City. Furthermore, we do not tolerate racial caricatures as per our code of conduct, that should be clear.

Let me be clear: we are not saying that this forum is rated "E" and that all you can talk about going forward is My Little Pony™ and lollipops; but from time to time we will make the call to remove something that not everyone finds questionable and that should be OK. What any given person is offended by varies greatly and this should come as no surprise to anybody.

"None of your business" -and that's a quote.
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    Lots of people have beards. Lots of people have large honkers. Lots of people have two hands that can be held together in front of themselves. Lots of people have the ability to make a facial expression resembling whatever the expression in that image is meant to be.

None of those things are anything that should reasonably cause any rational, intelligent individual to become offended. Being offended by something is a choice you make, and it cannot be controlled pre-emptively by anyone with whom you may interact. Don't put the blame for your becoming offended on others, own it, figure out why you have allowed something to offended you, understand that others think differently than you, and grow as an individual.
    Quite true, but what really targets it is the yarmulke IMHO. Frankly I thought the same as you (I think) - the caricature looks like a guy who, like you, "loves money." Yeah, he looks middle eastern, but so what? Every depiction needs to look like someone unless all caracitures (sp?) are to be banned. Then I noticed the yarmulke.
    There has long been a stereotype of Jews to the affect they are money grubbing monsters (See, eg, Shakespeare).
    I'm a huge fan of Free Speech, but Gree as a private company, certainly should have the right to suppress expression on the forums it controls which would reasonably make other customers go elsewhere for their gaming fun.

Post Count
    It's easy to tell people not to be offended when you are not the one being characterized in a cartoonish manner. It's the same reason white people don't see racism in as many things as non-whites. While I would love to see everybody grow a thick skin, the reality is everyone reacts and sees things differently. It is not unreasonable to exercise caution in such cases.