Should units have a shelf life?

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should units have a shelf life?

Post Count

Should units have a shelf life?

This is how the playing field gets levelled over time and the game renewed.

The game suffers from massive inequality where newbies, no matter how much money they throw at the game, will never be competitive with active old timers that have all the great boost units from 3 years ago. The are forever behind the eightball with no hope of ever locking horns with those guys.

The solution gree has for this is massive, ridiculous stat inflation where unit strengths lurch spasmodically in leaps and bounds, usually over a weekend where if you miss out, well, you REALLY miss out.

It seems to me that the much simpler, far more elegant, and far more sane solution is simply to give all units a shelf life. Say 1 year, then they disappear from your inventory on the anniversary date of when you acquired them. And with the unit also goes the boost attached to it.

Old timers have to stay active to keep ahead of the pack, not just rest on their massive laurels built up over time from the days of massive boost bonuses.

Newbies have a sliver of hope that with time and activity they will be able to get to the top of the pile eventually.

There is no need, ever, for stat inflation.

What do you think?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Abraham Lincoln

Main Game
    Modern War
    Post Count
    I think nothing, because no one from the right side of the tablet is interested in reading my thoughts.
    It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

The SPENDING LAMP is ALWAYS lit in ALL GREE GAMES.
    SPEND it, if you got any left.

Jesse “The Body” Ventura said, “Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!”

In the words of Bobby Heenan: "The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
    "

Consistent Contributor
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    The only problem i see with this is that there would be even less people spending money on this game if the units were only around for a year. If gree does not make any money then we don't have modern war anymore. This past weekend is the first time that i could really see a difference with all the people that have left. For the first time i am starting to think that this game is in a lot of trouble and it may be closing down sooner than later

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    I think you're thinking along the right lines, for the same reason I think temp boosts(which is effectively what you're asking for) was one of the few good ideas gree ever had. The problem is the time for that thinking was about 2 years ago before they started with the perm boosts, but then gree admits they can't believe the game has limped along for so long.

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Wolf View Post
    The only problem i see with this is that there would be even less people spending money on this game if the units were only around for a year.
    I think you underestimate the tappers need to tap.

Consistent Contributor
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by sstuutss View Post
    I think you underestimate the tappers need to tap.

i am not talking about the top tappers. i am talking to the tappers that are in the top 100-500 factions that will not spend as much because the units going away. i am in a top faction and i don't think i would spend on units that went away a year later. i probably would for health regen units because those would pay for them selfs in war.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    This post is spot on. I wish my 401k money manager would take all the money I personally invest each year with him and take it back for himself so a brand new guy can be on equal terms like a long time customer. I can't believe this hasn't be thought of before. Who wouldn't love starting over fresh every year with absolutely nothing? This is a great way to bring new people in.
    Gree could in return give all money back that was spent to aquire those units. And then we could have the perfect not for profit game.
    I really hope gree is listening to this brilliant idea.

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Wolf View Post
    and i don't think i would spend on units that went away a year later. i probably would for health regen units because those would pay for them selfs in war.
    and I think you're wrong, but its likely to late now to find out either way.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbodychris View Post
    Who wouldn't love starting over fresh every year with absolutely nothing? .
    Maybe you have trouble reading, no one said any such thing.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Don't ussually comment but this would drive folks whom already have one foot out the door to be completely out and looking for lawers. When sold to consumer as industructable it means exactly that, industructable. Always and forever on your account till servers shut the game down.

Post Count
    That wouldn't happen or everyone would simply petition for Refunds from Apple/Google.

Then the game is simply dead at that point.

It probably would have been a good idea to use from the start but bad to implement it after the fact.
    At the same time very few players still exist that have been playing for 3+ years at this point. Time takes care of the issue or if it doesn't they are the ones spending anyways to stay competitive (good for gree)
    VFF Legends

Consistent Contributor
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    and I think you're wrong, but its likely to late now to find out either way.

you would be starting over every year. here is his statement

It seems to me that the much simpler, far more elegant, and far more sane solution is simply to give all units a shelf life. Say 1 year, then they disappear from your inventory on the anniversary date of when you acquired them. And with the unit also goes the boost attached to it.

to give all units a shelf life. Say 1 year, then they disappear. What do you think that means? If all the units disappeared after one year of having them then you would be starting over every year so that other players have a chance to have the same stats as you. This would not work because people don't want to spend money to see it go away and then have free players have higher stats then them until they build back up their stats or until the free players units disappear.

Articulate Author
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    It seems to me that the much simpler, far more elegant, and far more sane solution is simply to give all units a shelf life. Say 1 year, then they disappear from your inventory on the anniversary date of when you acquired them. And with the unit also goes the boost attached.
    So if this happened today and I played one day and got some units, stopped playing, then came back in 366 days, I wouldn't have any units right? I'm not sure if my reading skills are up to par.

Post Count
    I'll explain more clearly.

You get unit X on the 15th of June. 15th of June the next year unit X is removed.

Meanwhile, on the 10th of August you get unit Y. You keep unit Y until the 10th of August the next year.

And so on and so forth for each and every unit you earn each and every day.

It's a revolving door - units in, units out. If you want better stats than what you have, then you have to keep going constantly trying to get to the next level. Alternatively, you snooze, you lose.
    Last edited by Danger Mouse; 04-27-2015 at 04:01 PM.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Abraham Lincoln

Post Count
    If you left the game now for 366 days you'd be so far behind the eightball you'd have no chance whatsoever of ever again being competitive.

At least this way after a year you could be king of the heap again.

Albert Einstein

Abraham Lincoln

Main Game
    Modern War
    Post Count
    Nothing ever changes, and THE GREE only does what THE GREE chooses to DEW.
    It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

The SPENDING LAMP is ALWAYS lit in ALL GREE GAMES.
    SPEND it, if you got any left.

Jesse “The Body” Ventura said, “Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!”

In the words of Bobby Heenan: "The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
    "