What about some defense?

As is clearly evident, LoW is all about the attack. Build strong squads and overwhelm weaker squads. I think there could be a real opportunity to add a whole new dimension to the game by providing players with some defensive features. For instance, utilizing one of the slots in your squad you could add a tower or increase the defensive strength points of your base. Right now bases are wiped out with a shot to two. Towers could be deployed and leveled up just as squad units are now and you obtain these towers just like you do now with squad units. This provides players with the option to delay opponents while they wait to deploy stronger units and could make individual battles last longer and result in tactically interesting outcomes. I know the idea has been broached before, but with the limitations of keeping interest due to the repetitive alternating of invasion and Bosses, this at least provides more options within each individual battle.

Surely this aspect is already covered - you deploy a unit with a very strong Defence Factor, like an Attalus, to give what you are requesting.

Good luck having time to deploy a 328 attalus in time to defend against some of the fast and cheap URs or Epic scout. The towers should be cheap to deploy and should be leveled up just like other units...maybe even to UR standards. However, since they are static, they offer no offensive capability and can only be erected close to the home base. Think of the officer fights before you fight the boss. I'm just suggesting it would an interesting wrinkle by including this additional option. Honestly, wouldn't you rather have something like this as a reward instead of another rare officer upgrade?