Gree Tactics Illegal in Japan (Old News?)

GREE

DECAGAMES Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gree Tactics Illegal in Japan (Old News?)

Steady Scribe
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count

Gree Tactics Illegal in Japan (Old News?)

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Betab...Was_Banned.php

So while discussing another game and a means for the game developers to squeeze out more money, I found out that in Japan the social game mechanic called Kompu Gacha was made illegal a few years ago. What is Kompu Gacha, you ask? Gacha is when you get a random prize by paying money. Kompu Gacha is when you get a grand prize for collecting a bunch of the random prizes. Sounds familiar, no?

That's right, that's EXACTLY how box events work. You can pay with virtual currency to open boxes, which sometimes give out random units. If you collect all those random units, you get a wrapper prize.

You could argue that's how Raid boss wrapper units also work, as it's random when you'll get the unit from a particular boss.

Seeing as how Gree is a JAPANESE company, and they are specifically mentioned in this post about how their games utilize such mechanics, how are they getting away with this?

Master of Musings
    Post Count
    maybe it's only illegal in Japan.

Steady Scribe
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed ump View Post
    maybe it's only illegal in Japan.
    Is this game not available in Japan? Also, I'm pretty sure if you are based in a country, your activities internationally still have to follow your country's laws.

But then again, American companies don't have to pay minimum wages to it's outsourced sweat shops, so thinking logically about this doesn't seem to work.

Main Game
    Modern War
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade John View Post
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Betab...Was_Banned.php

So while discussing another game and a means for the game developers to squeeze out more money, I found out that in Japan the social game mechanic called Kompu Gacha was made illegal a few years ago. What is Kompu Gacha, you ask? Gacha is when you get a random prize by paying money. Kompu Gacha is when you get a grand prize for collecting a bunch of the random prizes. Sounds familiar, no?

That's right, that's EXACTLY how box events work. You can pay with virtual currency to open boxes, which sometimes give out random units. If you collect all those random units, you get a wrapper prize.

You could argue that's how Raid boss wrapper units also work, as it's random when you'll get the unit from a particular boss.

Seeing as how Gree is a JAPANESE company, and they are specifically mentioned in this post about how their games utilize such mechanics, how are they getting away with this?

LOL, This was published to this forum and initially discussed 20 odd months ago!!!!!
    It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

The SPENDING LAMP is ALWAYS lit in ALL GREE GAMES.
    SPEND it, if you got any left.

Jesse “The Body” Ventura said, “Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!”

In the words of Bobby Heenan: "The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
    "

Steady Scribe
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by DEWIN NUTTIN View Post
    LOL, This was published to this forum and initially discussed 20 odd months ago!!!!!
    Hence why I posted this with the title (Old News?) formed as a question. :P Sorry for drudging up the past. How do they get away with it? Is this game not available in Japan?

Articulate Author
    Main Game
    Beyond the Dead
    Post Count
    Probably not illegal in the USA.

However, I think it's no different than gambling, and so companies like this ought to be required to disclose the odds of winning.

Articulate Author
    Main Game
    Modern War
    Post Count
    The U.S. has no laws banning this and they've left it up to the states to make their own laws.

Main Game
    Modern War
    Post Count
    Australia does have laws against children's games and gambling. However it has never been enforced nor has founding been given to any agency to go after offenders.
    Last edited by bam bam.; 03-02-2015 at 11:20 PM.
    No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Main Game
    Modern War
    Post Count
    *quote removed*

Read my signature...now
    No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Post Count
    Yes, this is very old news. In fact, the threat of this legislation was apparently the motivation for Gree to branch into different gaming genres away from slot machine games and acquire funzio in the first place.
    Navy SEALs (Warring Since Brazil): 133-849-473
    Militia SEALs 361-119-847

Join Today: https://groupme.com/join_group/9814509/FAHfEU
    You are not out of the fight!
    Courage - Loyalty - Honor

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Laws are a funny little thing, many practices are illegal in part of the world but legal is many others. Legality doesn't make that practice "right" or "wrong", the law merely represents the view of legislators or what people view locally. I remember reading a week ago that in South Korea only just abolish a law that punishs adultery to 2 years prison term. If that is implemented in the US maybe 10% of adult population will be locked up.

Steady Scribe
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
    Laws are a funny little thing, many practices are illegal in part of the world but legal is many others. Legality doesn't make that practice "right" or "wrong", the law merely represents the view of legislators or what people view locally. I remember reading a week ago that in South Korea only just abolish a law that punishs adultery to 2 years prison term. If that is implemented in the US maybe 10% of adult population will be locked up.
    yeah too bad it isnt illegal. i hate those scum.

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade John View Post
    yeah too bad it isnt illegal. i hate those scum.
    The gambling nature of gaming or adultery ?

Steady Scribe
    Main Game
    Crime City
    Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
    The gambling nature of gaming or adultery ?
    Is either wrong?

Consistent Contributor
    Post Count
    dont think this is applicable for MW.