PDA

View Full Version : When MW was number 1...

bam bam.
08-20-2014, 10:05 AM
So what has changed in the days since this game was number 1. Feel free to add ur thoughts below.

I remember when this game was number 1 earner on I-tunes...
...LTQs were completable for at most a couple hundred gold
...gold was cheaper in a lot of countries (Aus, Ireland and others have 30% itunes markup now)
...there was decent amounts of time between events
...there were never overlapping LTQs, occasional overlapping of events (very occasional)
...gold was given when the company messed up as a sincere apology
...advertising was pretty accurate
...gambling was not the focus
...team work was encouraged but as an individual if u worked hard u could still get a head
...it was a 2 speed game, u grinded for hrs and kept pace or u payed a lil, saved time & completed event
...u played an hr a day n it was fun (not a full time job just to fall behind if u didnt purchase everything)
...inflation was carefully kept in control
...war was the focus of the faction

MENTALLY INCOMPETENT
08-20-2014, 10:14 AM
There is some confusion about this title ever being number one.
In fact, that number one designation can be obtained for a fee.
Very little, if anything is legitimate about Apple's ranking system.
Its the hype, boss man, it's the hype.

But, the alleged social aspect and focus have destroyed the title at whatever rank it may have once held.

Social gaming is more a female interest, than a male interest.
Look at other titles, and you'll confirm it.

Most males tend to play games alone, or with one or two other friends.

These 60 person factions were formed to exert extreme peer pressure over the weak minded with jellyfish spines.

The number one stuff, greatest game ever are urban myths, legends, or things that make you go, hmmmm.... Things like Bigfoot, alien abductions and anal probes, unicorns, pretty pink ponies, and people buying fake gold.

VileDoom
08-20-2014, 10:24 AM
I learned my lesson LONG ago and as each day passes more learn theirs.

bam bam.
08-20-2014, 11:26 AM

But, the alleged social aspect and focus have destroyed the title at whatever rank it may have once held.

These 60 person factions were formed to exert extreme peer pressure over the weak minded with jellyfish spines.

The number one stuff, greatest game ever are urban myths, legends, or things that make you go, hmmmm.... Things like Bigfoot, alien abductions and anal probes, unicorns, pretty pink ponies, and people buying fake gold.

brilliant insights

VileDoom
08-20-2014, 11:40 AM

Not sure how you define social gaming but in other online games I've played, particularly MMO's, my guilds/factions/alliances always predominantly consisted of male players.

I don't want to derail the original intent of the thread but your statement struck me as odd. Lol

Twist of Cain
08-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Not sure how you define social gaming but in other online games I've played, particularly MMO's, my guilds/factions/alliances always predominantly consisted of male players.

I don't want to derail the original intent of the thread but your statement struck me as odd. Lol

He/she is probably just Mentally Incompetent:rolleyes:

MENTALLY INCOMPETENT
08-20-2014, 11:57 AM

We tend to base our decisions on anecdotes and personal experiences.
Until this THING came along, I was never involved in mass gaming.
I'm not making that assertion on my limited experiences, however.
There have been several studies that support the observation that social gaming trends female.
Males tend to be more independent in their online gaming choices.

That's not true, however, in the case of sports.
Males tend to do group or social things more readily in real life.
Think sports bars, god, baseball outings, softball (work related sports), etc...

I apologize, OP for going off topic.

Back on topic, was this thing ever number UNO?

i think we'll never really know.

We do know that it's in the middle or perhaps the bottom 30% today.

Check out the site App Anne if you want real statistics about online games.

Tadaaah
08-20-2014, 12:07 PM
While you have some interesting insights and feedback, a game must continue to grow, change, and develop to stay competitive in the market.

On the other note about female gamers percentage, the female population does now make up 48% of gaming community as a whole. Women are found to be attracted more to gaming on personal computers, mobile devices, and Nintendo's Wii. So yes, women are getting into more hardcore gaming. Another growing trend to you men play games alone: while you may be alone in your living room, many gamers are not playing alone. They are playing with others online including with their friends. Another growing trend is actually couples gaming. Just a few interesting tidbits for you all.

eddie_
08-20-2014, 12:47 PM

From that I take you've never ran a mobile ad campaign... Please don't make such bold statements on area's you're not fully informed about.

Dazzj10
08-20-2014, 01:08 PM
While you have some interesting insights and feedback, a game must continue to grow, change, and develop to stay competitive in the market

But don't you think that gree are forcing this game out of the market with it's constant need to spend silly amounts of money to complete events,,
Surely it would be better to put some events within reach of free players, to entice new players to stay without the need to spend 1 weeks wage every cycle

VileDoom
08-20-2014, 01:34 PM
There have been several studies that support the observation that social gaming trends female.

I think these studies should have sampled more online games than just The Sims. ;)

/edit

Tadaaah, GREE has earned the title GREEdy by many players for good reason. The company you represent goes more than out of its way to stick it to its player base. :p

Related to this subject, one of the biggest complaints in GREE games and in all other pay to win games that I’ve played is a lack of balance. I have however come to the realization that balance is simply not possible in these types of games compared to a buy it once, wait for the expansion and buy that as well. The desire to separate yourself from the rest is the driving force to buy gems/gold etc. Although I don’t have statistical data to support my statements I speculate sales of gold/gems could still be maintained along with a reduction in player “burnout” by simply reducing the power gap between top and bottom. I think GREE takes the statement “bigger is always better” to an extreme. There will always be players willing to buy an edge so is it really necessary to inflate imbalance to such a degree?

MENTALLY INCOMPETENT
08-20-2014, 02:16 PM
From that I take you've never ran a mobile ad campaign... Please don't make such bold statements on area's you're not fully informed about.

No, I've never run any ad campaign. However, I've hired people to run several.
Most we're business related, but two were political campaigns.
Let's relax, we all have if fervent opinions.
I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy into anything or elect me to public office.
I'm simply expressing an opinion about a very curious subject.

MENTALLY INCOMPETENT
08-20-2014, 02:23 PM
@VileDoom:

Funny you mention The Sims, that was one of the games studied.
The real unknown is what many have observed about this game, as well as the Internet in general.
People are prone to masquerade, conceal, or outright lie when playing these games.
You never really know, much like online dating sites, if she's really 5'1"; 120 pounds and a REAL she - or - 5'6"; 290 pounds and a real she - or - 5'5"; 455 pounds and a HE pretending to be a SHE.
Therefore, we're back to where we started, no one really knows.
Pall you can vouch for is yourself, and I don't trust me, so why should YOU?

LMAO

lmao

lol

ROTFLMAO

Tadaaah
08-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Actually, the studies I was referring to include much more than just The Sims. If I remember correctly (which there could be a newer one), that particular study is now slightly out of date.

VileDoom
08-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Funny you mention The Sims, that was one of the games studied.

I figured that as a dead ringer for a predominately female played title. ;) Back when I played Star Wars Galaxies and a few other online titles we used Ventrillo to chat with each other. Unless my guild mates were great at disguising their voices I knew who the men and women were. Lol

Speed ump
08-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Tadaah, you'll have to excuse Chuck( mentally incompetent) he has a deep hatred for gree that stems for the reget he feels at the money he used to spend in the game. During his time with pun we quickly realized he pulled " facts" from thin air. I would say that the half dozen games I play are more dominated my male players, and most males I know seem to enjoy social gaming, below a certain age level. He and I are above that level, and it seems this game has attracted a higher average age than I initially expected to find, and maybe higher than the overall average. Many at this age don't get the social gaming thing.

camper killer
08-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Tadaah, you'll have to excuse Chuck( mentally incompetent) he has a deep hatred for gree that stems for the reget he feels at the money he used to spend in the game. During his time with pun we quickly realized he pulled " facts" from thin air. I would say that the half dozen games I play are more dominated my male players, and most males I know seem to enjoy social gaming, below a certain age level. He and I are above that level, and it seems this game has attracted a higher average age than I initially expected to find, and maybe higher than the overall average. Many at this age don't get the social gaming thing.

what what what???? is that the boss and the hanging judge still arguing????

How ya doing guys. Long time no see.

Tadaaah
08-20-2014, 04:33 PM

While the studies I referenced look at the industry as a whole, the demographics of specific games do vastly differ. I haven't looked at the exact demographic of this game in particular (I'll add that to my to-do list), but I imagine the demographic sounds pretty accurate for this game. I have worked on games in the past with what appears to be a similar demographic. Always some interesting items.

camper killer
08-20-2014, 04:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhz9OXy86a0

I know this is a little dated but the Extra Credit series give some good insight for the non-techie on social gaming and the business models in it.

Cobra Kai
08-20-2014, 05:52 PM
As an unscientific sampling would be curious what the ratio is in your individual faction

We are 57 male and 1 female.

On average in many social games I have played on average it seemed to be 2-3 women in each group. Groups ranged in size from 150 in Cybernations to 56 in MW ( this being the smallest of grous in games I have played )

twhis967
08-20-2014, 06:02 PM
So what has changed in the days since this game was number 1. Feel free to add ur thoughts below.

I remember when this game was number 1 earner on I-tunes...
...LTQs were completable for at most a couple hundred gold
...gold was cheaper in a lot of countries (Aus, Ireland and others have 30% itunes markup now)
...there was decent amounts of time between events
...there were never overlapping LTQs, occasional overlapping of events (very occasional)
...gold was given when the company messed up as a sincere apology
...advertising was pretty accurate
...gambling was not the focus
...team work was encouraged but as an individual if u worked hard u could still get a head
...it was a 2 speed game, u grinded for hrs and kept pace or u payed a lil, saved time & completed event
...u played an hr a day n it was fun (not a full time job just to fall behind if u didnt purchase everything)
...inflation was carefully kept in control
...war was the focus of the faction

Ramses is number one. (Youtube) (http://youtu.be/B-7foxHfhE4?t=15s)

bam bam.
08-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Wow this thread went way off topic. What the conversation was intended to be about was what has changed since it was a good game through and through. I want to know what changed that has caused the steady decline of MW in the earnings category.

Mentally incompetent is an example of what I mean. Both he/she and I were once positive characters but we have both seen change and been changed

Auspex
08-21-2014, 03:59 PM
I do think part of the change has been our own boredom at having played the same events for years. Gree has tried to mix it up a bit with new events that do seem a lot like the regular events but we've become a whinny bunch.

We've waited so long for small changes like inventory sorting we've basically lost faith in the game. So many times we'd rather see a fix to playability over a pair of overlapping events. Personally I feel the 'fun' is missing from the time I realized Gree really didn't care about the mechanics vs spend opportunities.

Arc Burn
08-21-2014, 04:25 PM
Remember when support was helpful? I JUST got an email about the ticket I sent in regarding the 'hot fix' last Friday. They told me the leader board was now working correctly. It's so sad it's funny.