PDA

View Full Version : Gold Buying Guide

MickeyTwoToes
09-17-2011, 05:12 PM
I gave my guide an overhaul and added a gold buying section. For those that have already read it and are interested or have thoughts, comments, or suggestions give it a look and give me some feedback. Thanks everybody. :D New and Improved Gold Guide (http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?9259-Tired-of-Rolling-Noobs-A-Guide-to-Success)

Cooz
09-17-2011, 05:28 PM
It's definitely thorough, but I think the main thing newbies will need from experienced players like yourself is more specifics behind time. There has to be a frame of reference around the time, otherwise we have no idea when to start or end.

For example, you wrote: "Do not buy items that are too pricey early."

How much is too pricey? When is "early?" First 15 levels? When does it end? After level 25? I understand you aren't suggesting there is an exact time, but if your opinion is good enough to write an entire guide, you should have enough experience to at least suggest a time frame to consider, right?

It's very helpful, though, thank you for taking the time to put it together!

MickeyTwoToes
09-17-2011, 05:59 PM
It's definitely thorough, but I think the main thing newbies will need from experienced players like yourself is more specifics behind time. There has to be a frame of reference around the time, otherwise we have no idea when to start or end.

For example, you wrote: "Do not buy items that are too pricey early."

How much is too pricey? When is "early?" First 15 levels? When does it end? After level 25? I understand you aren't suggesting there is an exact time, but if your opinion is good enough to write an entire guide, you should have enough experience to at least suggest a time frame to consider, right?

It's very helpful, though, thank you for taking the time to put it together!

Sigh, Yes. I agree and think its the weakest component of the guide. The same thought occurred to me while I was writing it.. The problem is I haven't figured out any key indicators. My basic motto was always to be upgrading and always to keep my defense high enough where I couldn't be attacked/robbed. Sometimes I had to hold back my level and not do missions, attack rivals because I didn't have the money for both upgrades and weapons. I wasn't as methodical as having x weapons of x type by x level and switching to buying x weapon at x level.

I also think the same rules don't apply to everyone. :/ There is a wide range of stats for players of any particular level. Some have no income others have tons of income and no defense, and still others have tons of income while not collecting it efficiently so effectively don't have the income to support "80 brass knuckles" by level 20. Not to mention the game is evolving. People might read this guide or another and thus the attack and defense rules that applied when I played would no longer be sufficient.

phantom123
09-17-2011, 10:43 PM
I was totally against buying gold but I will in the near future for buildings. Income is everything in this game and some gold buildings are pretty awesome.

Cooz
09-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Sigh, Yes. I agree and think its the weakest component of the guide. The same thought occurred to me while I was writing it.. The problem is I haven't figured out any key indicators. My basic motto was always to be upgrading and always to keep my defense high enough where I couldn't be attacked/robbed. Sometimes I had to hold back my level and not do missions, attack rivals because I didn't have the money for both upgrades and weapons. I wasn't as methodical as having x weapons of x type by x level and switching to buying x weapon at x level.

I also think the same rules don't apply to everyone. :/ There is a wide range of stats for players of any particular level. Some have no income others have tons of income and no defense, and still others have tons of income while not collecting it efficiently so effectively don't have the income to support "80 brass knuckles" by level 20. Not to mention the game is evolving. People might read this guide or another and thus the attack and defense rules that applied when I played would no longer be sufficient.

You're right, the game is evolving. That's exactly why documentation like this is so important. It's not like you're writing this in blood or anything. I'm sure you'll be forgiven if some of it is out-dated in a month.

Based on what you wrote, my understanding is:

- Money is important, so continually build and expand
- Other money is wisely spent on defense-based weapons should you choose to protect more than attack
- There's no medal given for fastest leveler, so don't be afraid to slow down a little and make the strength of your current mob your priority. Do that by fighting and robbing more than doing jobs. That's something I wish I had done. I think I slowed down in time to not be completely overmatched at the higher levels, but there are plenty of people I can't attack because they'd clearly kick my ass (like Mickey) because they didn't level as fast as I did, fought a lot more, made a lot more money and have much better weapons.

- Don't get sucked into the allure of the "new" building options you'll see when you level. The lower level buildings (i.e. diner, barbershop) are inexpensive to build and upgrade, and don't take a ton of time to do either. Establish a good base of economy before worrying about getting more expensive buildings that are extremely costly and time-consuming to build and upgrade. For example, it costs considerably less to upgrade a diner to level four than it does to upgrade a Chinese restaurant to level 2. The diner will turn a profit far faster than the Chinese restaurant will, builds/upgrades a lot faster and takes far less room.

A few other additions, given in respect to your awesome guide, but recognizing there is a ton of info people are only able to learn from playing.

- The souvenir store is HUGE. Space is critical, and the game doesn't give you any idea of how big a building is until you've already withdrawn the money from the bank. Maybe we can just break the early buildings into two categories, large and small. This is very subjective, but I had problems with some of the buildings. Feel free to weigh in.

Large/awkwardly shaped
Souvenir Store
Gas Station
Arcade
Basketball court

Small/easy to build around
Laundromat
Diner
Ice Cream Shop
Pawn Shop
Deli
House

- There is a mission where you build and upgrade an Abandoned House to level 5. Don't feel you have to keep it when you've passed the mission, though. They're horribly large and awkward, and to me, I felt it was smarter in the bigger picture to sell it off, and build multiple Guard Towers (more defense, less room taken up, pretty quick and cheap upgrade to 4 and 5), then, lots of machine gun turrets. You can build like nine turrets (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) in the space occupied by one Abandoned Building and have a considerably higher defensive rating. Turrets come at a cost, though. I made them a priority, and I usually win when someone tries to rob me, so in a way, they're paying for themselves (SWAG).But I have less higher end weapons that others probably do at my stage in the game. Like much of the choices you'll have to make, it comes down to preference, and there are going to be pros and cons to both.

- Always scout your opponent. Click the "rob" option instead of the "attack" option so you can see what your opponent has in terms of defense rating and cash. Another SWAG, but I aim to have around 300 more attack than my opponent's defense. No sense in attacking someone who's close to me statistically; I mean, I want to win. I didn't do this at first, and really wish I did. You'll be surprised at the width of range your prospective level colleagues will have in terms of defense rating. There's one guy now at my current level who has like one money building, around 40 guard towers and a defense rating about three times my attack. I have others who don't seem to know defense buildings are available, and I slaughter them routinely.

Point Allocation

- An often-discussed feature...most people are saying the attack and defense options really don't seem to bring much bang for your buck. I'm in that camp. I stopped putting points into them and frankly, just fought and did jobs to make money, then bought defense buildings and weapons. Those seem to have a much bigger impact on your ability to fight and defend.

My only concern is, in the infancy stage of this game, the value of those points will go up dramatically for whatever reason, and I'll be crushed since it's a lot harder to level now. I'm probably being paranoid, and it's too late to do anything about it, so I'm aiming for energy and stamina. You can never have enough of either. If attack and defense points are the perks of the game, energy and stamina are the fuels needed to PLAY the game. There's more you can do if you have a lot of both. I seem to have a lot more energy than others at my level, but I'm shorter on stamina. If I could do it again, I'd aim for less att/def points and more stamina. Just my opinion...

- However you decide to play the game, make priorities and stick to those. Be patient!Don't get distracted by new things. It's very easy to see something you want, or read someone write about how great this other thing is. You have to make a plan, and you have to stick with it, otherwise you're going to be too well-rounded to do anything well. The only way to lose this game is when you can't attack anyone, defend yourself or make any money with your buildings. Choose one of those areas, make it your main priority, and build on it. When you've gotten to a good point with that one area, reset your priority to another area. For me, I wanted to improve my defense, so I built defensive buildings and upgraded them, then did jobs and fought to get cash for defensive guns. Then melee. I got to a point where I'm comfortable with it, so I adjusted my priority to another area. However you choose to do it, stay with it. Changing it up midstream will make you weaker in the long-term.

SupremeFaze
03-06-2012, 05:10 AM
i love gold!!! i use the tricks of looting and sometimes gold

Cas
09-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Hey guys I just bought my first vault of gold :D any suggestions on how to use it ?? So far I figure I should use it against each epic boss when they get to strong .. Thanx for any help

Paulio
09-07-2012, 11:20 AM
The Epic Boss event wouldn't be a bad use of the gold if you haven't beaten him 20 times yet.

Sandukan
09-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Hey guys I just bought my first vault of gold :D any suggestions on how to use it ?? So far I figure I should use it against each epic boss when they get to strong .. Thanx for any help

Buy smoke shop, church, wedding chapel, pirate tavern, rock cafe.....
Upgrade to goodfella if you are tycoon (which you should be).
Buy crates
Buy non-consumable explosives

Auxilium
09-07-2012, 11:34 AM

Don't waste all the gold on the epic bosses. Maybe 6 refills is the maximum you should spend and after that buy crates. But not the current crates, they s.u.c.k. chopsticks. Keep an eye on the forum when new crates appear, people give their judgement about them.

Edit: To reply on the above. Depending on your level you can decide to upgrade to goodfella. If you are going for a crawling technique don't upgrade, you won't have any benefit from it (if you're Tycoon). Also, i would'nt go for the gold buildings. Money is the weakest value in the game. Just my 2c.

Cas
09-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanx I just beat him for the 20th time, then upgraded to goodfella I completely forget about that.. I'm gonna pick up some crates next.. I've never been to sure about the explosives I just recently started to buy an equal amount of whichever one has 2/2 stats to my crew..btw I'm only at level 50

Sandukan
09-07-2012, 11:46 AM
In-game cash is necessary to supplement your arsenal at least for buying explosives and completing missions.
I wouldn't buy guns or melee with in-game cash but there are some useful armor with 19 and 24 defense stats that you can buy.

If not you will have to rely on gold (real money) and respect items (level up quickly).

Paulio
09-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Congrats on beating boss 20. I wouldn't recommend using any further gold on the epic boss event. Also, good call on upgrading to Goodfella.

At your level 50, I wouldn't recommend buying any gold buildings though. I would use the rest of the gold on crates. Sure, you can wait for better ones, like the ammo crates, but I don't think we'll be seeing those anytime soon. If you drop the gold on crates, you'll be pretty strong for your level.

Cas
09-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanx not sure if I'm gonna wait for new crates or the next epic boss ?? It seems like u get more for ur $$ if u use your gold their.. I have 5368 attack and 6986 defense.. I took people's advice and stopped spending my respect on boots and put it towards goggles .. My iph is 15073 , Im able to rob 50-60 % of the hoods I come across.. Their always seems to b people that have twice as much as me though.. I stopped using energy all together to not level up so quick but I continue to rob people pretty steadily .. I just started looking for respect payouts over cash though n mix it up when I come across anything to good to pass up:D.