PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to see a shame file published to the forums that names banned hackers?

Danger Mouse
06-30-2014, 07:35 PM
First and foremost, this post is not a platform for your rants on hackers. If you feel the need to vent, take it elsewhere and start your own thread. This is a serious post to guage whether players would be in favour of a particular action from Gree, to try and show the Mods whether or not it has support from you, the community. If you like the idea, say why in a measured way. Similarly, if you don't like the idea be civil. Lets keep this an adult conversation.
-
There is a lot of bitter and acrimonious claim and counter claim of who was banned for what in these forums.
-
There are also a lot of posts from people despondant because they have used the right mechanisms to report accounts they strongly suspect of hacking, but never hear back whether any action was taken. This causes them to lose enthusiasm for the game as in a vaccuum of knowledge they just assume nothing has happened.
-
It may well be that Gree are on top of the case and every report of potential hackers is read and a result is achieved, but we would never know as there is a strict policy of not discussing hacking. Wingnut conspiracy theories thrive and explode in this silence.
-
It seems to me the quickest and easiest way for Gree to address these issues and demonstrate what is happening to keep this game above board and hacker free is if Gree published a shame file to the announcements section of the forum. Account X with game name Y was caught and banned for hacking. No specifics of what they did, as we don't want to give others ideas, but a simple list to show that action was taken. The thread will be locked for comments and purely be for information only.
-
The shame file serves many purposes. It shows gree are active on this front, silencing critics. It shows players their reports are taken seriously and have been heard and action taken. It completely nullifies the wingnut conspiracy theories that abound of who did what and supposedly got away with it, because we would see that, well actually no, they didn't. And it shows hackers that their deeds will be made public, and no, they aren't heroes. These are my ideas for the positive. You may have great ideas for why this wouldn't work and shouldn't be initiated by Gree. If so, please tell.
-
Would you be in favour of such a published shame file? Yes or no?
-
And please, let's keep this an adult conversation in a civil manner. Take your spleen and vent it elsewhere if thats all you have to contribute.
-
Cheers, DM.

Ajk
06-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Hmmm. What good would that do if they can change their name at the click of a button?
BOOM! 50 gold, new identity. Problem solved.

Danger Mouse
06-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Hmmm. What good would that do if they can change their name at the click of a button?

If they were reported under a certain game name, and that game name appears in the list as banned, a lot of good.

Pidgeot
06-30-2014, 08:15 PM
I say no to this because a lot of people dont want to deal with public shaming. Even if you think its justified, its wrong. People cheat and if they are caught, they are dealt with within the system. if said hacker did so on such a large scale to where it hindered the game and rendered it unplayable then I would expect something to be said to who did it but not on such a small scale.

No one wants their face on a wall at Wal-Mart for the world to see because they stole a bag of candy.

Danger Mouse
06-30-2014, 08:21 PM
I say no to this because a lot of people dont want to deal with public shaming. Even if you think its justified, its wrong. People cheat and if they are caught, they are dealt with within the system. if said hacker did so on such a large scale to where it hindered the game and rendered it unplayable then I would expect something to be said to who did it but not on such a small scale.

No one wants their face on a wall at Wal-Mart for the world to see because they stole a bag of candy.

I appreciate what you are saying, but I don't think it's the same as putting a photo on a wall. This universe we play in is anonymous. If hackers have shared personal details with others who subsequently see them named as hackers, well too bad in my books. But for the overwhelming most part they are anonymous in the real world. The only person who knows for sure who they are in the real world is the hacker themselves.
-
However, for others to see a list of accounts that might have very "visible" personas in the game or the forums as banned, then I for one think thats a good thing.

Prettypupp
06-30-2014, 08:58 PM
I am all for it. It will help keep people honest. And the reality is that the people who get caught don't have to worry about be shamed because gree will ban them for there actions. But it will give us more faith in gree that they are trying to keep this game as fair as possible.

Shrinko
06-30-2014, 09:26 PM
I say, I don't care. Gree is the biggest hacker of all. I don't care what hackers do. Even if there are a few hundred of them, they are dissolved among thousands of players. But I do care what gree does. Gree is the problem resulting in the game being destroyed and not hackers.

Danger Mouse
06-30-2014, 09:28 PM
I say, I don't care. Gree is the biggest hacker of all. I don't care what hackers do. Even if there are a few hundred of them, they are dissolved among thousands of players. But I do care what gree does. Gree is the problem resulting in the game being destroyed and not hackers.

Please don't clutter this post with off topic posts. You don't care, ok. Why vent here when we asked you not to do it?

Robespierre
06-30-2014, 09:33 PM
At first blush, this sounds like a fun idea: taking pleasure in someone else's misfortune of getting caught. Schadenfreude at its best.

Then, the anonymity of some dumb loser's in-game-name reduces the effect of the shaming, and the forum pillories would only feed the slack-jawed yokels gawking at the little lists.

My final thought is that after being a victim of the "randomized reward" gold purchasing design (thank you 10-crate scam), I am somewhat amused to hear of someone playing three-card-Monte with counterfeit cash. I guess that is the real schadenfreude.

Note: I don't condone cheating, but watching the cheater get cheated has its own ring of justice.

MENTALLY INCOMPETENT
06-30-2014, 09:38 PM
It wouldn't work for ONE reason. Those that end up banned, don't or wouldn't care. You see, they don't take this game as seriously as some. You can also bet yourself a vault of the faux yellow stuff, that they have other accounts in the wings or in play. As some might say, one tapper don't stop their show.

Heck, I bet you one mighty sweet lollipop it wouldn't even slow their roll.

Last, but not least, they remain anonymous in the event of this very eventuality. My buddy knows some of them. He says they the ones he knows play it both ways, straight and crooked. They buy the faux yellow stuff and play in straight factions. That's just for appearances. They also have the suspect units deployed in their secret hideouts.

But, if Gree allows it, none of my business. This is Gree's game to do with whatever the like. I'm just a lookie Lou around these parts. I have me a couple low (between 15-25) level accounts. I ain't nobody to tell you somebodies around here nothing.

Danger Mouse
06-30-2014, 09:44 PM
It wouldn't work for ONE reason. Those that end up banned, don't or wouldn't care. You see, they don't take this game as seriously as some. You can also bet yourself a vault of the faux yellow stuff, that they have other accounts in the wings or in play. As some might say, one tapper don't stop their show.

heck, I bet it wouldn't even slow their roll.

You're probably right, get one account banned and immediately pick up with another. The list isn't really a major deterrent for the hacker. Getting banned and realising they're onto that particular back door is a better deterrent by far.
-
t's more about restoring faith in the process with the law abiding members who currently don't see any concrete activity even though it undoubtedly is happening, and it serves to grind the rumour mill down to a halt. That's its primary purpose.

MENTALLY INCOMPETENT
06-30-2014, 09:49 PM
You're probably right, get one account banned and immediately pick up with another. The list isn't really a major deterrent for the hacker. Getting banned and realising they're onto that particular back door is a better deterrent by far.
-
t's more about restoring faith in the process with the law abiding members who currently don't see any concrete activity even though it undoubtedly is happening, and it serves to grind the rumour mill down to a halt. That's its primary purpose.

In this case, most of these rumors ain't lies. Oh, the naughty things I've seen.

Shrinko
06-30-2014, 09:51 PM
Please don't clutter this post with off topic posts. You don't care, ok. Why vent here when we asked you not to do it?

So people who don't agree with you just clutter your so valuable thread? Why I posted? Because you asked for opinions. You didn't like my opinion? That's too bad. I was just saying that hackers are too small of a problem for most players to focus on it. To post or not to post - I bet you most people don't care. Gree has more important problems and this small stuff is just a distraction

Chimera
06-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Please don't clutter this post...

Einstein didn't say it.

Belle_B
06-30-2014, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=Danger Mouse;1335368]Please don't clutter this post with off topic posts. You don't care, ok. Why vent here when we asked you not to do it?[/QUOTE
And your the biggest troll lol
✌️ who cares about hackers!! seriously Hacking is just a drop in bucket to GREE. if they wouldn't screwed people around maybe wouldn't have so much hacking Put GREE on the wall of shame
Wall of shame bahahaha

ScrewThis
07-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Seems most people miss the point of a name and shame list. It is to give us visibility that Gree is actually doing something about reports we so lovingly and dutifully send in. There are no privacy issues and it won't stop hackers coming back under different names. But it would give us a clear signal that Gree is doing something to earn our money.

Shrinko
07-01-2014, 01:02 AM
Seems most people miss the point of a name and shame list. It is to give us visibility that Gree is actually doing something about reports we so lovingly and dutifully send in. There are no privacy issues and it won't stop hackers coming back under different names. But it would give us a clear signal that Gree is doing something to earn our money.

People are not missing the point. It's just most people don't care about hackers and want gree to focus on other issues that are more important to most people. Gree can show us that they are responding to it's customers by fixing other problems. Hackers shmakers. Let them hack.

ScrewThis
07-01-2014, 01:26 AM
What utter tosh, shrinko, if people get an unfair advantage or worse, make money off this game in return for selling their hacking skills, that's the first order of business for Gree.

Danger Mouse
07-01-2014, 01:32 AM
Gents, keep it civil please.

robmurphy
07-01-2014, 03:07 AM
Hi DM

Don't worry, no big debates like yesterday (it was fun). I'd like to clarify that I'm 100% against hacking. I'm just not sure if there is a benefit to naming the culprits. To be fair, it's only their game name that would be released. Someone earlier in this thread commented that these guys probably have other accounts waiting in the wings.

It will take Gree an awfully long time to identify and ban all hacked accounts. But the longest of journey starts with one step.

If I was forced to answer the poll question, is say no, don't name them. Don't give them their 15 minutes of fame

Rob

iamthewarlus
07-01-2014, 03:10 AM
While on the topic of shame, nothing can be more shameful than the blatant disregard of customer's rights.

Nothing can be more shameful than the blatant hypocrisy and double standards that confounds logic.

Chimera
07-01-2014, 04:17 AM
A perfect signature. A perfect response.

MENTALLY INCOMPETENT
07-01-2014, 04:21 AM

Word around these parts is very few tappers trust them to post truthful information.

DFI
07-01-2014, 05:21 AM
The only way this has any significance is to track where the hacker is and goes if s/he moves around. The hacker can try to hide. But the faction that allow the hacker to reside are the ones which will feel the shame.

lemonhaze
07-01-2014, 05:42 AM

thats exactly what they should do if they are a theif..shame them to the point they dont even want to come out the house..if they are brave enuff to steal they should be brave enuff to own it

mwfighter
07-01-2014, 06:21 AM
"Snitches get stitches", zero ratting for me.

Anyways Gree doesn't do anything unless SUP requests, so your best bet is to get SUP on board and it will trickle down to Gree for whatever your cause is.

sstuutss
07-01-2014, 07:43 AM
I'll start the list........Alex..... Now what good has that done?

DFI
07-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Well there is this guy named SG ah xxxxx around lv223 who did not have two AMRs, then had two, then this week did not have them again. There was also a guy named mastertxx whose base used to be long NE to SW when he was with ENG, then prior to joining a few top tens and now in sup, his base is NW to SE. Oh, did I mention that he didn't have the original first two LE buildings, but now has all of them. If some players could tell me how you can change the orientation of your base by 90 degrees without starting over again, it would be appreciated.

And by the way, if I am not mistaken, the first player looks to have joined the darkness very recently, as he changed his name to dark xxx.

Danger Mouse
07-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Guys, I specifically said this is NOT the platform for rants about any potential hackers. Got proof, report them.
-
But your posts illustrate my points.

DFI
07-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Guys, I specifically said this is NOT the platform for rants about any potential hackers. Got proof, report them.
-
But your posts illustrate my points.

These players have been around and while reported, gree did nothing. This isn't a case of mistaken identity, you can't change the orientation of your base.....

Thorny
07-01-2014, 06:36 PM
I think Name and Shame is right on target, make them too ashamed to play.

Rookeye
07-01-2014, 08:28 PM
I have mixed feelings on this one, and I'm 100% anti-hacker. I chose "name 'em and shame 'em!", but here's why I think that won't work:

1) GREE operates...internationally? Subject to international law for international players, yes or no? Can they name players--even IGNs--or is this considered some form of unprovable libel?

2) What if GREE gets if wrong and falsely accuses even one player?

3) Unless the game has fixed name/IDs, what good does naming someone do? Especially if name/IDs are not unique? For example, KnD permits you to constantly change ANY of your six player names, at any time...and if you want to be AhnuldDaMadUndPowuhfuhl, even if 30 other people already have that name, go for it!

4) Several weeks ago, on yet another game, I observed two Guilds slug it out with all sorts of accusations of cheating and skulduggery. They were truly convinced that the other guys used hackers, etc. A name and shame list would not have helped these guys; they were truly convinced of the "truth" in their own mind, and if a list existed that was at variance with their own internal reality, this would merely be proof to them that GREE was cheating as well. :(