PDA

View Full Version : Locked Threads

Morgz
06-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Its getting beyond silly at this point.

If mods are merely interested in playing babysitter and locking thread after thread, this community will soon die.

You don't have to lock an entire thread because a few people break TOS. Just delete the posts for goodness sake. Some of us may still want to discuss a valid topic that is already in progress.

Then the kicker of you locking thread, and politely (yeah, right) asking us to not make duplicate threads, because one already exists on topic...but guess what? It's locked too!

I've posted on probably way too many internet forums. Certainly enough to know that when forums are over moderated in this format, they die.

Please allow us to discuss the game, ask questions (even if they are controversial or hurt your feelings), and have an online community with respect to the game. Frankly, the only reason ppl havn't completely fled this place for the other forum(s) is that this place has the "gree" name attached to it. Therefore it has the impression of being an "official" site, and that we may get some real info here. If that isn't going to happen, and you are going to stifle all real conversation, then there isn't much point in even having this place, is there?

I've tried to keep this post within the TOS. But that list is so extensive and beyond reasonable, I'm sure "something" typed may be against it, and this thread may be locked :(

Even worse, I may be banned. I hope not.

You posted that you want to improve the community, and that change was coming -- it may be slow but it was coming. Well, you aren't helping by just throwing down the ban hammer every time you see a thread or post you don't like.

Just let us communicate, for goodness sake. If we swear, or post something offensive, DELETE IT. If there are multiple offenses by the same user, warn them. If that doesn't work THEN ban them. But you don't have to continue bullying us by locking thread after thread.

Muj
06-10-2014, 09:01 AM
IBTL

had to..

bravo 6 vk
06-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Sit n watch this thread get locked down.. anytime now

Morgz
06-10-2014, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked. I hope it doesn't. I'm trying to have a positive discourse with the mods here. I suspect there are others that feel the same way.

Nighteg
06-10-2014, 09:37 AM
There are already 350 of us on the new forum. Good job Tadaaah :)

Tadaaah
06-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Not locking this thread, but it is being moved to Off-Topic as it is not a game discussion.

If you look at many game forums, the Forum Code of Conduct is pretty standard. It isn't unreasonable to ask people to speak in a civilized manner. Would you say some of those things to your grandmother? If not, don't post it here either. There are several threads that aren't super peachy and sweet that are still open. If the discussion is made just hate and insult, then I don't see a problem closing the thread. Make your post constructive and it will remain. Don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings.

Dipstik
06-10-2014, 11:48 AM
My grandma has a sense of humor, and she doesn't go online looking for ways to be offended.

Morgz
06-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Not locking this thread, but it is being moved to Off-Topic as it is not a game discussion.

If you look at many game forums, the Forum Code of Conduct is pretty standard. It isn't unreasonable to ask people to speak in a civilized manner. Would you say some of those things to your grandmother? If not, don't post it here either. There are several threads that aren't super peachy and sweet that are still open. If the discussion is made just hate and insult, then I don't see a problem closing the thread. Make your post constructive and it will remain. Don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings.

I appreciate that, but this thread was about locking threads, not necessarily about individual posts. I do look at many game forums, and I agree with you in spirit. It is not unreasonable to ask people to speak in a civilized manner. It is, however, unreasonable to kill an entire thread over a few bad posts. Please kindly leave my (late) grandmother and any other family members out of it. I have read the TOS and am attempting to follow them. I'm also attempting to suggest change for the better of the community, in my opinion.

If I had to bet, I would bet that your code of conduct is pretty much a cut and paste from other forums, with possibly a little bit of Gree games customization. I don't have a problem with that. The rules are stated, and we either follow them or not able to post. What I do have a problem with (and I believe many others do as well), is the over moderation of a forum. When you take away people's ability to converse freely, give them the fear of being "shut up" (ie: locking a thread), you kill the community itself.

I like this place. It has potential to enhance game-play. It has the added bonus of Gree staff occasionally chiming in and answering questions. I appreciate that. I don't want to see the community shrink over these poor actions.

The issue I raised is about when you lock down entire threads over a few poor posts. There are many examples (many prior to Tadaah's arrival, some after). Again, there have been multiple times where there is topic that is perfectly valid and worth being discussed, yet you Mods decide to lock the entire thread, killing the whole conversation over a few bad posts. The code of conduct then threaten's us if we decide to make another similar thread to continue the conversation. Why not just address the few bad posts in question, rather than kill the entire conversation?

Yesterday there was a thread asking about an event starting late. It was worthy of discussion. You locked it stating there was another thread on the subject. You were kind enough to provide a link...but we couldn't discuss the issue there either because you locked that one over being insulted.

Dipstik
06-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Actually I think the code of conduct is a list of all the things I've been warned about or banned for unjustly over the years that were NOT in the prior rules. Some of them seem AWFULLY specific...

Molly's Consigliere
06-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Salient post, OP.

This place should be moderated more like on IMDb. The admins stay out of it and only delete posts if that same post gets reported multiple times. If you keep violating the TOS, you just get a longer posting quota and then if you do something real bad your account gets deauthenticated and your whole posting history gets wiped. There's a lot more freedom in posting there than on here.

Tadaaah
06-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Generally, I, personally, go by if 2/3 of the thread is harmful (trolling, flaming, insults, etc.) I'll lock it. Or if it's a clear intent just to cause confusion and unrest amongst the community. If a thread does get locked under those circumstances, there is nothing stopping from continuing the conversation in a new thread. The event start time is a cut and dry answer; so I don't know if it's clear what you would be discussing other than just general complaints that there's a global calendar and this happens more frequently than you would like. (That message has been received.)

Dipstik
06-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Ummm tadah? I know you're new here and all, but we are MUCH better off with the spam thread than having every idiot counting to ten so they can make their stupid threads...

mnju_03
06-10-2014, 10:31 PM
My grandma has a sense of humor, and she doesn't go online looking for ways to be offended.

LOL.... funny guy

mnju_03
06-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Ummm tadah? I know you're new here and all, but we are MUCH better off with the spam thread than having every idiot counting to ten so they can make their stupid threads...

this is also a good point...

Morgz
06-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Thank you for your response, Tadaah. I appreciate you at least addressing the issue. I'm dissapointed in your decision, but that's how life goes sometimes. I hope you will reconsider at some point, and realize that deleting a few (or many)
"offending posts" is much better for the community (us users) than this mass locking of threads.

We can point out example after example, and you can provide valid reasoning for the action of closing threads...so I think its pointless of us to waste your time pointing out any more. Just please know that many of us would prefer the threads stay open and the offending posts be removed, rather than stifling the entire thread. Thanks.

** italics used for emphasis as it seems all caps is against TOS

DED
07-04-2014, 07:24 PM
interesting info good to know