PDA

View Full Version : Question for CJ

Carbide
05-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Why are you having battles on Holiday Weekends in the USA, and all other Holidays? Seems like this is an intentionally motivated technique to me! I would like to know, please respond, Thank You!

CJ54
05-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Why are you having battles on Holiday Weekends in the USA, and all other Holidays? Seems like this is an intentionally motivated technique to me! I would like to know, please respond, Thank You!

This is an interesting question, because almost every persistent state game that I know of (our company's or others) also has events that fall on holidays, usually themed but not always. I have rather fond memories myself of Thanksgiving I spent tooling around in an mmo I used to play, killing evil turkeys for a quest with my online friends, while waiting for the bird to cook in real life.

There are two schools of thought on this. One is that events on holidays are bad, because they conflict with common real-life arrangements. But that fact is that for many, many other people, holidays can also mean copious amounts of time spent relaxing with not much to do. Or sitting in airports. Or the car. For those people (the ones that play our games, anyway) having something to do in-game is not a bad thing, and the actual traffic that we see on holidays tends to communicate that there are a lot of those people out there. For people in the first group, that is not something we twist peoples' arms on or make suggestions towards. It is up to everyone to make individual choices about how they want to or need to spend their time.

Kitty McPurr
05-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Spoken like a true Pusher-man. "it's their choice to be addicted to our game." lol.

Carbide
05-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Thanks CJ for your quick response, very much appreciated!

Fredfreddy
05-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Isn't the real answer that it's 100% a rotational thing? MW, KA, and CC are the 3 most popular similarly themed Gree games, and the wars all fall on 3 different weekends, every 3 weeks, regardless of holidays. If they started excluding certain holiday weekends, if would totally mess up the whole cycle, I'm glad they stick to the "every 3 weeks regardless" approach personally.

DoubleR7
05-16-2014, 10:45 AM
This is an interesting question, because almost every persistent state game that I know of (our company's or others) also has events that fall on holidays, usually themed but not always. I have rather fond memories myself of Thanksgiving I spent tooling around in an mmo I used to play, killing evil turkeys for a quest with my online friends, while waiting for the bird to cook in real life.

There are two schools of thought on this. One is that events on holidays are bad, because they conflict with common real-life arrangements. But that fact is that for many, many other people, holidays can also mean copious amounts of time spent relaxing with not much to do. Or sitting in airports. Or the car. For those people (the ones that play our games, anyway) having something to do in-game is not a bad thing, and the actual traffic that we see on holidays tends to communicate that there are a lot of those people out there. For people in the first group, that is not something we twist peoples' arms on or make suggestions towards. It is up to everyone to make individual choices about how they want to or need to spend their time.

So you support people playing CC while driving? Tisk Tisk