PDA

View Full Version : Latest Logic on WD Match-Ups?

robmurphy
04-20-2014, 02:39 AM
Guys, apologies as I know there have been lots of posts on this subject, but do we know the latest logic on how factions are matched up in wars?

I know we'll never see the actual Gree algorithm, but what is it predominately based on?

I believe a while ago, it was based on total attack strength, which is why streak teams worked so well, I.e.;

Faction 1 - 10 members @ 50m strength each = 500M total faction strength
Vs.
Faction 2 - 40 members @ 12.5M strength each = 500M total faction strength

Therefore, faction 2 would struggle to beat anyone in faction 1. But faction 1 would find it easy to beat faction 2 players.

But I have been told it's now based on average strength, but surely that would cause equal imbalance based on number of players;

Faction 1 - 10 members @ 50m strength each = 500M total faction strength
Vs.
Faction 2 - 40 members @ 50M strength each = 2,000M total faction strength

Therefore, faction 2 would most often win as they simply have more potential hits?

I know these numbers are very simple, but they make the point easy to understand. So what I am missing? Is the major factor total attack strength, or average attack?

Or something else?

Hope you can help

Ta

Rob

Sinisterclick
04-20-2014, 02:54 AM
I believe number of players is factored in... To be honest all but first match last war were fair...

Mr llama
04-20-2014, 03:05 AM
Honestly I think it's random, never had a battle I couldn't win with a little gold :)

...why do most still think of this as a free game?

robmurphy
04-20-2014, 03:14 AM
I'm with you on it not being a free game Mr Llama, that's not an issue - we either pay or we don't.

But matching is not random, it cannot be or there would be ridiculous matches all the time; SUP1 playing a 4,000th ranked faction.

Match ups do seem relatively fair, so the algorithm seems to be working OK, but if we knew a little bit more about how it works, we could taylor our factions setups.

Come on guys, someone must know the basis of the algorithm?

Mr llama
04-20-2014, 04:22 AM
I think I have been given a fair experience been in two factions that have been from top 100 to top 750 and never been matched with a top 25 or even 50. We get fair matches in terms of How many players and how much gold, but never a team that's untouchable

Jack07
04-20-2014, 06:28 AM
Most of unfair matchups happen during 'off' hours, when there's simply not enough factions in declare queue to match specific strength criteria... Grees algorithm will simply fish for next strongest or weakest faction closest in points and then throws us under the bus. Some matchups are simply outreageous , specially at nite time.....but during peak hours we usually get matched to rivals with similar strength.

I do believe WD algorithm is still based off cumulative faction strength, though. JMO

Agent Orange
04-20-2014, 06:34 AM
Interesting but last WD there were very few complaints about unfair matchups if I recall.

Seemed to me that number of members was a factor as well as averageing stats which makes sense, I thought it was a vast improvement since in all of my test battles I never hit a faction I could not find a target in. Actually winning battles seemed more difficult though but was balanced by points accumulation.

Totally agree with Jacks observation about off peak hour matching.

MaverickINsc
04-20-2014, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=Agent Orange;1271741]Interesting but last WD there were very few complaints about unfair matchups if I recall.

"Seemed to me that number of members factor as well as averaging stats which makes sense, I thought it was a vast improvement since in all of my test battles I never hit a faction I could not find a target in. Actually winning battles seemed more difficult though but was balanced by points accumulation."

anybody that matched up with the "singaporeans" now knows that the number of members and rankings drive the matchups and not necessarily the average att/def......because the singaporeans had 50 level 1-2 accounts with the same name and about 6 gold spenders ....my faction had 58 members between 15-80 mill........however against 50 of their opponents we couldn't score.....had better points on the c.c. the 6-8 strong accounts were monsters.....this is the new streak team......they killed us by the way.....it was a math lesson and their willingness to use gold made them very strong. they ranked well overall also......the problem with this formula is the need for a faction shell with 60 members and all the health defense and attack bonuses purchased to give you the platform you need.....then the ability to leave this shell for another faction for all the other events like raid boss, epic boss and fltqs that are achievable with a large number of high level accounts......but that was an eye opening look at the new algorythym

robmurphy
04-21-2014, 07:11 AM
[QUOTE=Agent Orange;1271741]Interesting but last WD there were very few complaints about unfair matchups if I recall.

"Seemed to me that number of members factor as well as averaging stats which makes sense, I thought it was a vast improvement since in all of my test battles I never hit a faction I could not find a target in. Actually winning battles seemed more difficult though but was balanced by points accumulation."

anybody that matched up with the "singaporeans" now knows that the number of members and rankings drive the matchups and not necessarily the average att/def......because the singaporeans had 50 level 1-2 accounts with the same name and about 6 gold spenders ....my faction had 58 members between 15-80 mill........however against 50 of their opponents we couldn't score.....had better points on the c.c. the 6-8 strong accounts were monsters.....this is the new streak team......they killed us by the way.....it was a math lesson and their willingness to use gold made them very strong. they ranked well overall also......the problem with this formula is the need for a faction shell with 60 members and all the health defense and attack bonuses purchased to give you the platform you need.....then the ability to leave this shell for another faction for all the other events like raid boss, epic boss and fltqs that are achievable with a large number of high level accounts......but that was an eye opening look at the new algorythym

Wow, that's new. We'll watch out for those types of faction.

I guess we must begrudgingly applaud these people for their innovation.

MaverickINsc
04-21-2014, 07:36 AM
[QUOTE=MaverickINsc;1271964]

Wow, that's new. We'll watch out for those types of faction.

I guess we must begrudgingly applaud these people for their innovation.

I must add that overall the matchups were better....the Singaporean model is an extreme example of how to streak under the new formula......but most will not have a faction shell with all the guild increases and bonuses to do this only for wd.......but if your willing to spend gold they have good system

plavine
04-21-2014, 02:14 PM
My matchups were brutal , just tired of complaining about the same thing . Opposing DL was always double our strongest player, ally totals were different in battle than on the list , and when we did get an "even" matchup , most of the opponents were 75 levels below us and we got outscored .