PDA

View Full Version : IRA Special?!

Faith_1
03-12-2014, 04:31 PM
As a syndicate with syn members and friends who play the game from Northern Ireland I have to say I'm disgusted by the name you guys have chosen for this item....
We live just outside Belfast and personally I find it in bad taste to glorify terrorists who as recently as Christmas reek havoc on our country... It is a very active terrorist organisation, not one to be cordially thrown about for a bit of fun in a game....

Purple thong
03-12-2014, 04:34 PM
I don't know what he's talking about, but I support him. Go Faith_1!

Assault and Flattery
03-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Hey, we're going to change this in the next data deploy.

Zippy69
03-13-2014, 03:01 AM
@Faith:

we'd already touched on this heavily, in a thread about the tone of the existing LTQ...

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?86030-Tut-tut-Gree!-Sexual-undertones

Faith_1
03-13-2014, 05:22 AM
Thanks A&F for your reply!
@Zippy I didn't read that thread beyond the original post :) don't get a lot of time for forum activity these days but felt I had to voice my opinion

Sick N Twisted.
03-13-2014, 06:08 AM
Good decision by GREE to change this. I applaud them for recognizing how it may be a sore subject for some.

SollyLlama
03-13-2014, 07:38 AM
Why object to an IRA themed element in a game based on organized crime?

Do the victims of IRA bombings matter more than victims of the Cosa Nostra?

People gotta' lighten up.

sister morphine
03-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Why object to an IRA themed element in a game based on organized crime?

Do the victims of IRA bombings matter more than victims of the Cosa Nostra?

People gotta' lighten up.
Really? So you presumably wouldn't object if Gree put out a Unabomber shack LTB, or named weapons after notorious mass killers in America?

Blowin Smoke
03-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Really? So you presumably wouldn't object if Gree put out a Unabomber shack LTB, or named weapons after notorious mass killers in America?

Personally, I could care less.

FlyMeMoon
03-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Good decision to change and its been brought up twice now... for a reason!

SollyLlama
03-13-2014, 10:07 AM

No, I wouldn't.

The game is already - by virtue of glorifying violence and organized crime - pushing the limits of good taste. Selectively objecting to some elements while accepting others would be capriciously hypocritical.

Have a nice day.

The_Don
03-13-2014, 10:20 AM
People need to calm down and stop looking everywhere to be offended. The ENTIRE game is criminal based! The IRA are criminals. What's next, are all of the Italians going to be offended by the mafia overtones?

Get over yourselves.

xRedfoxx
03-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Agree that this game is not PC just by the nature of the game. I would PREFER to have weapons and buildings that have some historical importance. Imagine a super duper explosive prize named 'Fat Man', or a cool machine gun names "Bonnie and Clyde", or a hatchet name the "Dahmer Special'. This game is about glorifying how well you can kill and rob. Let's embrace it.

dribblin todger
03-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Agree that this game is not PC just by the nature of the game. I would PREFER to have weapons and buildings that have some historical importance. Imagine a super duper explosive prize named 'Fat Man', or a cool machine gun names "Bonnie and Clyde", or a hatchet name the "Dahmer Special'. This game is about glorifying how well you can kill and rob. Let's embrace it.

is there any killing in the game?... cant ever recall killing something on an ltq or killing a player, just get the "this player is beaten up too badly£ notice

xRedfoxx
03-13-2014, 10:48 AM
is there any killing in the game?... cant ever recall killing something on an ltq or killing a player, just get the "this player is beaten up too badly£ notice

Its pretty well implied with the visuals using guns and knives in the attacks. But I do think the blasting during the crime boss events qualifies....

Are we going to start splitting hairs that beating someone to a pulp and robbing them is not as bad as murder, and therefore acceptable?

dribblin todger
03-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Are we going to start splitting hairs that beating someone to a pulp and robbing them is not as bad as murder, and therefore acceptable?
Let the courts decide, heres an idea...

You and a friend go out tonight and 1 of you slap someone around and take their cash and the other 1 attack and kill the other in a frenzied knife attack...

See who gets the electric chair

b-w
03-13-2014, 11:11 AM
It's offensive by design but i can see that some special and unique things qualify as "off limits"..I saw some complaining about the rebel flag in one of the raid bosses and i thought that was ridiculous. Gree is probably better off just making up silly names that aren't actual historical disasters.

I hoped they would have used my "red name gang" idea or make the backgrounds gree headquarters, for example. I'm sure we could throw some names around in here and find out before hand if it's offensive, unintentional or not..They may not care though.

Hey, good news is they've changed it..

lil minion
03-13-2014, 12:03 PM
The real ira are not criminals at least not to anyone that knows irish history . They stood up for our country when the brits decided they were going to try take it over willing to sacrifice their lives at the drop of a hat for freedom of their country . The group you speak of with bombings and terror attacks are not the ira they are a group of scumbags who have taken on the Ira name

CCKallDAY
03-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Agree that this game is not PC just by the nature of the game. I would PREFER to have weapons and buildings that have some historical importance. Imagine a super duper explosive prize named 'Fat Man', or a cool machine gun names "Bonnie and Clyde", or a hatchet name the "Dahmer Special'. This game is about glorifying how well you can kill and rob. Let's embrace it.There was an explosive called Fat Man, in an LTQ. 51k/32k

Dirty Larry
03-14-2014, 12:07 AM
There are several syns that are named after violent groups. So how is IRA special different? Is the position of gree to make them change their names?

OMD73
03-14-2014, 01:01 AM

Gree already have. i remember a collect 10 in which "Gein's Beretta", "Gacy's Gloves" and "Lizzie's Axe" were prizes.

SR-Dixie
03-14-2014, 01:10 AM
People need to calm down and stop looking everywhere to be offended. The ENTIRE game is criminal based! The IRA are criminals. What's next, are all of the Italians going to be offended by the mafia overtones?

Get over yourselves.

People outside of the UK seem to have some sort of wishy washy idea of the IRA. They are more than criminals. These terrorists bombed and murdered indiscriminately for 40 years and still pose a daily threat by targeting Police officers and Prison officers and their families. Recently a bomb was placed under a vehicle knowing the officer would be taking his young children to school, luckily he checked under his vehicle because the consequences don't bare thinking about.

I think if you had family and friends murdered, maimed and intimidated by these terrorists you might be a little sensitive too. Most people in N.Ireland have been affected in some way by the IRA's "war".

A&F has said they are changing it so that's the end of it in my eyes

westside187
03-14-2014, 01:27 AM
people need to lighten up , its just a game. i wouldnt mind weapons that got history behind it e.g hitlers revenge bazooka , or saddams tank destroyers, or ghaddafi's assasin blade, or binladins boing 747, olol , its just a game, build a bridge and get over it u whimp

SR-Dixie
03-14-2014, 02:07 AM
I think if you were personally affected by those events you might see things differently, and I don't see how anything I said makes me a wimp, but each to their own

Zippy69
03-14-2014, 02:48 AM
well end of discussion...

it's now the Shamrock Special

case closed

sister morphine
03-14-2014, 04:37 AM
Gree already have. i remember a collect 10 in which "Gein's Beretta", "Gacy's Gloves" and "Lizzie's Axe" were prizes.
I had to look the first two up. Gacy is a very dubious choice to commemorate, but I imagine those touched by the crimes of Gein are probably all deceased. Lizzie's alleged acts (she was acquitted) took place over a century ago.

The_Don
03-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Get over yourselves and stop playing a crime based game if crime offends you

Zippy69
03-14-2014, 08:43 AM
there's a big difference between Crime & Terrorism and the 'fall out' both forms of criminal activity have amongst the people affected...

& I'm speaking as both a Soldier & a citizen of an English City, that suffered from direct IRA Bombing. Far too many people glorify these cold blooded butchers who fight for themselves, not a cause!

TMI
03-14-2014, 10:00 AM
As a syndicate with syn members and friends who play the game from Northern Ireland I have to say I'm disgusted by the name you guys have chosen for this item....
We live just outside Belfast and personally I find it in bad taste to glorify terrorists who as recently as Christmas reek havoc on our country... It is a very active terrorist organisation, not one to be cordially thrown about for a bit of fun in a game....

Red, White, and Bomber Loot Item?!

As a syndicate with syn members and friends who play the game from (insert any of the numerous countries that the US Military is actively murdering ppl in, Afghanistan, Yemen, Iraq, Pakistan, etc. Let's use Iraq for this one) I have to say I'm disgusted by the name you guys have chosen for this item....
We live just outside (insert any of the numerous cities in Iraq that the US military has committed war crimes, let's use Fallujah where among many things, they used White Phosporus, something against the "law") and personally I find it in bad taste to glorify terrorists who as recently as (today, considering over half a million Iraqi children have died as a results of the US) reek havoc on our country... It is a very active terrorist organisation, not one to be cordially thrown about for a bit of fun in a game....

The_Don
03-14-2014, 10:41 AM
there's a big difference between Crime & Terrorism and the 'fall out' both forms of criminal activity have amongst the people affected...

& I'm speaking as both a Soldier & a citizen of an English City, that suffered from direct IRA Bombing. Far too many people glorify these cold blooded butchers who fight for themselves, not a cause!

The entire game is full of "Insurgent" "Terrorist" and what all other names. It's a game. If it offends you, quit. People are so soft anymore, everyone just looks for any reason to be "offended" when they aren't actually offended, they just want to pretend they are so they can show other people how enlightened they think they are.

xRedfoxx
03-14-2014, 01:15 PM
I am American. All of the following killed Americans: Iranians, Native Indians, Germans, English, Japanese, Vietnamese, North Koreans,....I'm sure there are more.

If you name a weapon after any of these groups, I and 99% of the world won't care.