PDA

View Full Version : Where did it go wrong?

Evil Mastermind
02-11-2014, 10:15 AM
This game has evolved tremendously since the beginning. I enjoyed it more when it was a simple platform of building, upgrading, and buying cash and valor units to outfit an army. Log in a few minutes a day, attack for a bit and leave it alone for hours or days. The occasional event made it exciting.

I feel it would have been a much better game had it never included "gold" indestructible units. That gave people an advantage (and rightfully so) that was insurmountable unless willing to spend to compete. Yes, I know it's a business but plenty of other options are out there to make money on an app. In-game advertising, subscription fees to play, etc. The "gold" units have also led to the out of control inflation that IMO will ultimately kill it. I think the same game without "purchased" unbeatable armies would have remained a lot more fun. Casualties...what are those?

What do you think was the point of no return for this little game? Only listing a few options, feel free to discuss others. I would love to see a different app "Modern War The Original" show up that was based on the original design with no indestructible units and see how far I could get on strategy alone.

Maddog11
02-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Non-stop event schedule is what caused me to retire. I am competitive as most in MW are so I could not bring myself to sit out of an event from time to time knowing that, not only would my stats fall behind, but i would also be denying the rest of my faction the opportunity to increase in size. Can not expect to ask people to run non stop daily with back to back events and not have flame out.

Luuzer
02-11-2014, 10:41 AM
all things are killing it. Especially the greed where U need 500$ for one event and there are several events in a month. People would enjoy more if there where some nice boost units (energy health etc) attached to:

1) middle of normal
2) end of normal
3) middle of prestige
4) end of prestige

right now its only end of prestige and 99,99% people wont go for it cause of the cost. It will start to drive people away, even those medium gold players.

Scot
02-11-2014, 10:46 AM
That topped off with lack of customer service and continuous canned replies from the representatives show exactly how much they care. Makes it all the more disappointing.

J V
02-11-2014, 11:04 AM
What's up EM?! How u been brotha?! I think the major flaw is that it requires gold to beat anything, if they had an event every once and a while where you could beat It w time and effort , I think many more ppl would happy!... Don't listen to luuzer, I didn't read what he posted but assume it's him crying as alway!!

free play
02-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Sure what's the point in the missions when you can only reach the end if them by using gold, why not just sell bonus units every month, without tierd lvls and rewards that are reachable all gold or no gold, the game becomes less attractive.

I'm sure there are allot if reviews about the way the game has changed and putting people off from down loading it

Evil Mastermind
02-11-2014, 11:19 AM
What's up EM?! How u been brotha?! I think the major flaw is that it requires gold to beat anything, if they had an event every once and a while where you could beat It w time and effort , I think many more ppl would happy!... Don't listen to luuzer, I didn't read what he posted but assume it's him crying as alway!!

Hey bro! Not much going on here. Hope all is well JV!

Sinisterclick
02-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Non-stop event schedule is what caused me to retire. I am competitive as most in MW are so I could not bring myself to sit out of an event from time to time knowing that, not only would my stats fall behind, but i would also be denying the rest of my faction the opportunity to increase in size. Can not expect to ask people to run non stop daily with back to back events and not have flame out. +1 I only do things or don't do things, didn't have the time to keep up, and decided to leave rather than fall behind. Robo.....

Dutchie
02-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Lots of things wrong with this game... Non-stop schedule, only being able to complete goals using gold resulting in extortionate costs, massive stats inflation last August which 'reset' the game, 'gambling' type events, ignoring requests to make the game a better gaming experience and more... There is a right way of doing freemium games and there is a wrong way of doing it. GREE wrote the book on how not to do it!

SGT Rud
02-11-2014, 11:49 AM
This game has evolved tremendously since the beginning. I enjoyed it more when it was a simple platform of building, upgrading, and buying cash and valor units to outfit an army. Log in a few minutes a day, attack for a bit and leave it alone for hours or days. The occasional event made it exciting.

I feel it would have been a much better game had it never included "gold" indestructible units. That gave people an advantage (and rightfully so) that was insurmountable unless willing to spend to compete. Yes, I know it's a business but plenty of other options are out there to make money on an app. In-game advertising, subscription fees to play, etc. The "gold" units have also led to the out of control inflation that IMO will ultimately kill it. I think the same game without "purchased" unbeatable armies would have remained a lot more fun. Casualties...what are those?

What do you think was the point of no return for this little game? Only listing a few options, feel free to discuss others. I would love to see a different app "Modern War The Original" show up that was based on the original design with no indestructible units and see how far I could get on strategy alone.

This - too much gold required for anything.

Evil Mastermind
02-11-2014, 11:52 AM
This - too much gold required for anything.

Well I'll be darned. A visit from Sgt Rud. Hope you are enjoying retirement.

SGT Rud
02-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Im not sure what to do with my phone now. It goes all day on a full charge and doesn't need to see the charger after an hour. I know, I know. I should have checked in to say hi well before now. But I try to keep my mind clear from the decision I made to quit. But yes, I am enjoying it. I didn't realize I had so many updates on facebook. Everyone was wondering where the heck I have been the past year.

But for me it was the gold usage. some events required way too much, but I understand the need for it. I have offered ideas to try and correct the issues for the difference between gold players and free players, but those are long since past and have probably found themselves a resting place on page 400 of the forums by now.

Dutchie
02-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Im not sure what to do with my phone now. It goes all day on a full charge and doesn't need to see the charger after an hour. I know, I know. I should have checked in to say hi well before now. But I try to keep my mind clear from the decision I made to quit. But yes, I am enjoying it. I didn't realize I had so many updates on facebook. Everyone was wondering where the heck I have been the past year. LOL... There are plenty of other freemium war games out there that don't follow the same model as this game. Just need to find the right one.

Evil Mastermind
02-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Im not sure what to do with my phone now. It goes all day on a full charge and doesn't need to see the charger after an hour. I know, I know. I should have checked in to say hi well before now. But I try to keep my mind clear from the decision I made to quit. But yes, I am enjoying it. I didn't realize I had so many updates on facebook. Everyone was wondering where the heck I have been the past year.

LOL. You made the correct decision. Yes, it's a shame when fine people move on from the game, but sooner or later we all will arrive at that crossroads. Congrats on all your new found free time. The Warblers definitely miss you and your contributions!

SGT Rud
02-11-2014, 12:07 PM
LOL... There are plenty of other freemium war games out there that don't follow the same model as this game. Just need to find the right one.

Ha, I'll pass. It took about 3 weeks for my wife and brother in law to talk me into playing this game. I didn't want to, and knew what it would lead to. I am more of an outdoorsman, I rather enjoy not having this glued to my hand. I do miss the people though. It was depressing hearing the updates in the background at my house about this past WD.

Shrinko
02-11-2014, 12:19 PM
This game started going down hill when greedy gree took over the game. It was fun when Funzio was running it but gree destroyed the game. The biggest problem is the greed. Everything is about gold. Gree doesn't care about anything except for gold. They don't care what you have to say and will ignore this thread as many other similar threads. The only thing that will make them listen is when their profits will start going down, so unless people stop buying gold, nothing will change.

Events are too frequent. Wars are too close together. People have been asking gree to stop having wars every 17 days, but gree doesn't care. They want their gold. Like I've said before, this is not a game anymore. This is a store. You come in and you buy things. Actually you don't buy anything. You buy images of units and you buy wins in the wars that give you more images of units. How stupid is that? That is not fun at all.

Shrinko
02-11-2014, 12:22 PM
I think you should add "gold requirements" as one of the response options in your pole

Transmitter
02-11-2014, 12:23 PM
I would have to agree with the Non stop events. I have become highly addicted because of these events (they require a lot of time) and it has caused my grades to drop and to decline towards school. A big summer break would help =)

600fonz
02-11-2014, 12:35 PM
The non stop, sometimes multiple events at once schedule has killed my enthusiasm for the game. I actually enjoyed not having a LE building so I could work on my base.

Lancerdually
02-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Nice to see ya Rudd!!!!!!!!!! Hope life stays up the upswing for you!!!!!!!!!!

socomloser
02-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Non stop events

JB5
02-11-2014, 03:16 PM
The non-stop events combined with the gold requirements needed to finish them. It's burning players out and putting them in the poor house. Had to stop raiding just so I could avoid all the empty bases that are out there now.

Congressman Robinson
02-11-2014, 04:15 PM
I have recently placed my character in hibernation down in a faction for minis... It was a tough decision after taking the time and money to build it over a 2 year span, but ultimately it came down to the fact that the game had become a chore rather than an enjoyable diversion. The constant events (sometimes more than one at a time) and the feeling that you couldn't take a break for fear of falling behind led to burnout. The events that took more and more energy (and gold) to complete was part of it. The players who gamed the system and the changes to the game that made high level characters useless/obsolete for war contributed to it. It's hard to say where exactly the train ran off the tracks. I don't think you can point to a single event/cause, but rather a culmination of a multitude of issues that has led many to lose the love for a game that was once so much fun. I don't know if I will return to play again or if a short respite will prove to be too much to overcome due to stats (or that I'll find I don't miss it that much after all). If I do, it will be because of the many friends I made along the way rather than the game itself.

ruth
02-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Non stop events.

But also, all the screw-ups! Nothing seems to ever work the way it should the first time anymore.

And the fact that high-level players are constantly being belittled and not rewarded for their hard work. It's like a slap in a face to be playing for years only to have a super-mini come in and get twice as many WD pts as you.

SEC
02-11-2014, 07:38 PM
I have recently placed my character in hibernation down in a faction for minis... It was a tough decision after taking the time and money to build it over a 2 year span, but ultimately it came down to the fact that the game had become a chore rather than an enjoyable diversion. The constant events (sometimes more than one at a time) and the feeling that you couldn't take a break for fear of falling behind led to burnout. The events that took more and more energy (and gold) to complete was part of it. The players who gamed the system and the changes to the game that made high level characters useless/obsolete for war contributed to it. It's hard to say where exactly the train ran off the tracks. I don't think you can point to a single event/cause, but rather a culmination of a multitude of issues that has led many to lose the love for a game that was once so much fun. I don't know if I will return to play again or if a short respite will prove to be too much to overcome due to stats (or that I'll find I don't miss it that much after all). If I do, it will be because of the many friends I made along the way rather than the game itself.

Well said and I agree 100%. There are just way to many events non-stop and to make it worse there are multiple events at once. Right now we have a crate event along with an individual and also a faction LTQ. Any one of those 3 is enough at one time. Wars should be once every 4 to 5 weeks not 3 weeks. Have 2 to 3 days between events to give players a break once in a while.

I wouldn't even mind more frequent wars if they could shorten it to a shorter time period for example 24 hours instead of 4 days.

MadAtWorld
02-11-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm sure there are allot if reviews about the way the game has changed and putting people off from down loading it[/QUOTE]

Oddly, I have looked around, and I don't find many negative reviews. At least, not nearly what you would expect from all the amount of problems discussed in forum and external comm apps. Maybe it's because people complain in tees two places or feel that one bad review won't change anything. Maybe it's because of busy lives and not having the time to just do it. But TBH, Gree does care about it's external reputation. They actually respond to inquiries from complaints to the BBB. So if enough people went onto ITunes and rated the app, they would want to change that.

fofito30
02-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Think the list is great as it compiles a number of issues we all been complaining over and over. Would add to the list the hackers and glitch exploits that have made this game unfair and also driven price to play expensive and lots of players into retirment. Think Gree should protect us from such exploits and enact a firmer policy to protect the game and it's users.
It's very sad to hear several hacking accusations such as the energy hacking scandal and, more recently, during Turkey the crate event leaderboard hacking issue. Nevertheless what is more more worry some is that those same players allegedly still around with only been stripped of the positions they hacked their way to.
If agree wants to provide a better gaming experience it should, it most, it's their obligation to guarantee us there won't be no more hackers and glitches exploits and that anyone caught will be kicked from the game.

Luuzer
02-12-2014, 11:00 AM

naah, just saying how things are. U seem to be happy about everything :)

Now be a good champ and go waste another $5000 so U could finish this months events in this game. That is what U like :) Next month another sum :)