PDA

View Full Version : "Gifting" is just GREE's way of raising gem prices

The Pale Rider
02-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Do you really think gem sales are coming back? Nope. Full price + war energy gifts are going to be the new normal. We need a breakdown to see if it's even comparable. A price break of 20-40% yields exactly that percentage additional gems to the purchaser. Are we getting at least the equivalent in gifted war points?

Screws up the metrics for participation as well. If a lucky member gets lots of free energy from spenders, the spenders have transferred the 20-40% of his purchase to other members.

I'm thinking this is less beneficial than buying at a discount. Certainly is for the buyer.

My answer is the same as it's always been - I will not pay full price for gems.

Cali-Boy916
02-10-2014, 01:06 PM
*sigh* didn't expect there to be anything good when they announced the "gifting". Ever get excited when one of your favorite games announce when they are adding something new to the game? I done get excited when greed announces anything new cause in the end they make it to where it costs $$$$. I understand they are a business company etc. but they get more than enough during gem sales and guild wars. Doesn't matter though cause ranting won't make them change their minds about it so ill just stick to not dropping a single cent on it :)

Slayer 1
02-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Hong-Yee Wong, nor any at Gree really care what a few free players on one game say on a forum post.

Gree stock has doubled since last October, and they've topped $5mil/mo for K&D.

Obviously SOMEONE is buying gems.

bmh60
02-10-2014, 01:27 PM
I'm failing to understand why you're complaining when they are offering the best Sale I've seen in awhile. 99 us for 2k gems 1.5 million gold and 100 lightning Lord armors.

The Pale Rider
02-10-2014, 01:27 PM
*sigh* didn't expect there to be anything good when they announced the "gifting". Ever get excited when one of your favorite games announce when they are adding something new to the game? I done get excited when greed announces anything new cause in the end they make it to where it costs $$$$. I understand they are a business company etc. but they get more than enough during gem sales and guild wars. Doesn't matter though cause ranting won't make them change their minds about it so ill just stick to not dropping a single cent on it :)

When you're selling a virtual product that has zero intrinsic value a "sale" is jus a conceptual idea anyway. GREE sets a peg for what $100 buys and then manipulates it to see if they can get more actual cash over a given week, month, event etc.

The "gift" upgrade is just a gimmick to try and get more people to buy more. If spending is up this week/month, then it's a success. If it's down than it's a failure.

Considering everyone is paying the same amount for gems, it really shouldn't matter how much you pay per gem, since the scores will adjust pro rata among the guilds. Except for the fact that an increase in price per gem will effect the value of "free" gems. If all gem purchases are now at least $.12/gems on iOS, then the value of free gems just went up at least 20%.

The impact is lessened to some degree on Android by the higher increments (rainbow bounty). That's a desire to move people into the higher spend category to take advantage of the perceived discount.

I certainly hope I'm wrong and sales return, but I doubt it.

I also think adding the socialization element to buying with random "gifting" of free war energy is a nice way to encourage peer pressure to make purchases. Now we see whenever someone makes a purchase. It's in the guild logs. No more talking about buying gems without verification. It's a social shame and recognition element to purchasing.

The Pale Rider
02-10-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm failing to understand why you're complaining when they are offering the best Sale I've seen in awhile. 99 us for 2 gems 1.5 million gold and 100 lightning Lord armors.

Not on iOS.

Slayer -- Go post that same message on every thread that's ever existed, it's equally (ir)relevant to all of them.

Dark Prince
02-10-2014, 01:39 PM
So the 20% = 160 Gems extra on the DP Bounty /10 = 16 refills x 4
= 64 Extra War Energy

Now 1DP Bounty
= 1 Extra War Energy

The Pale Rider
02-10-2014, 01:43 PM
= 64 Extra War Energy

Now 1DP Bounty
= 1 Extra War Energy

If it's only 1 energy per gift regardless of thesize of the purchase. The pictures seemed to show bigger gifts for bigger purchases. It's a terrible exhange if it's always 1 energy. Each war energy point is equal to 2.5 gems.

bosskiller
02-10-2014, 01:47 PM
= 64 Extra War Energy

Now 1DP Bounty
= 1 Extra War Energy

Also, the one energy doesn't even necessarily go to you.

dragonx254
02-10-2014, 01:55 PM
If there was ever a time to remove inactives, it's now.

it would suck if all your "free gift energy" ended up in an inactive's energy pool.

The Pale Rider
02-10-2014, 01:59 PM

it would suck if all your "free gift energy" ended up in an inactive's energy pool.

I suppose you could form a guild, buy all your gems and then go back to your main guild to make sure all the gifts accrue to you. Assuming a guild with one person still gets gifts.

And assuming guild war energy moves with you and doesn't stay with your guild.

Marco_
02-10-2014, 02:03 PM

That might be Gree's reason for gifting: if inactives get kicked and replaced with actives, with some buying presure added by listing buys in the guild chat, that means more people buying, so more money for Gree...

The Pale Rider
02-10-2014, 02:13 PM
That might be Gree's reason for gifting: if inactives get kicked and replaced with actives, with some buying presure added by listing buys in the guild chat, that means more people buying, so more money for Gree...

Occam's Razor dude.

Klmart439
02-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Starting immediately as direct response to the recent effort to get more money from us. I have proposed a total boycott of gree as follows. Leading up to the next guild war no earning or buying any gems. And during the war not buying, earning, or using gems.
This boycott is in protest of the gifting the strong guilds get for spending tons of money. What about us poor advent gamers? Be fair!

Please repost

tshell
02-10-2014, 05:05 PM
the extra energy gained by gifts is going to be inconsequential compared to refills done by gems. For every 80 or 200 refills purchased you get maybe a handful of battles? Anyone buying other packages (except the starter pack sale which doesn't have a gift) is not using their money to it's full extent anyway. So really there's not much to be worried about from the free players' standpoint. If you run up on a gemspender you will get out gemmed, not out "gift energied".

ShadowDash1089
02-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Starting immediately as direct response to the recent effort to get more money from us. I have proposed a total boycott of gree as follows. Leading up to the next guild war no earning or buying any gems. And during the war not buying, earning, or using gems.
This boycott is in protest of the gifting the strong guilds get for spending tons of money. What about us poor advent gamers? Be fair!

Please repost
Always have our support. Check your pm

Slayer 1
02-11-2014, 05:33 AM
Occam's Razor dude.
Well, hypothetically :-)

Laxus
02-11-2014, 01:14 PM
whats the point in gifting right now? they should have released it at the same time the war starts.

The Pale Rider
02-14-2014, 06:29 AM
We received a bit less than 10% of the value of any gems purchased as additonal war energy. 2.5/1 gems per war energy and we got 29 for 800 gems purchased. So the equivalent of an extra 72.3 gems spread among other guild members. That's significantly worse than a 10% off sale.

The only way the "gifting" idea could possibly work is in conjunction with a sale. Then people will open their wallets and appreciate getting a little extra for the guild. Askign people to pay more than they ever have for gems and then giving their guild mates a 9% kicker is a terrible marketing idea. It's like a tax on people who can't do math.

Bshappell
02-14-2014, 09:46 AM
And the Nobel prize goes to.....

Slayer 1
02-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Do you really think gem sales are coming back? Nope. Full price + war energy gifts are going to be the new normal. We need a breakdown to see if it's even comparable. A price break of 20-40% yields exactly that percentage additional gems to the purchaser. Are we getting at least the equivalent in gifted war points?

Screws up the metrics for participation as well. If a lucky member gets lots of free energy from spenders, the spenders have transferred the 20-40% of his purchase to other members.

I'm thinking this is less beneficial than buying at a discount. Certainly is for the buyer.

My answer is the same as it's always been - I will not pay full price for gems.

30% gem sale.

As usual

dangdp7
02-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Always will find away to make money

The Pale Rider
02-24-2014, 08:00 AM
30% gem sale.

As usual

You're welcome :)