PDA

View Full Version : I'm Tired of Slapping Around Women

Robespierre
02-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Casbah Cash LTQ:

So I just got done "Blackmailing*" the Senior LF Scout in Border Guard Complex, and after watching 21 animations of my character slapping, stabbing, stomping, shooting, and karate chopping the character in nice civilian clothes, I am growing sick of the imagery. In fact, all of the "LF" NPCs in the Border Guard Complex are female characters in civilian clothes.

http://fumaga.com/i/retro-slap-animated.gif

(Image used to demonstrate mission concept; not endorsed in the slightest; staged by actors: do not imitate)

This is lame.

Slapping around women is very unappealing to me, and promoting it over and over again approaches on the inappropriate and offensive.

This is just my personal opinion, and you may disagree on the level of "PC" in this post, however it is stomping an image of a woman over and over and over again. Then repeat to the next target.

Somewhat related: what does "LF" stand for? I am very curious to see what kind of shallow explanation could be garnered.

*Both the Senior LF Scout and Expert LF Scout in the Mountain Pass have "interesting" mission titles compared to the design of the character.

Sirius
02-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks for providing your feedback (which is very detailed btw) and how you feel in regards to the mission an it's goals.

None of this is intended in any way to be offensive or derogatory to anyone. I am passing this on up to be looked into and addressed as needed.

Inimical
02-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Seriously? Almost every game has some sort violence against women; comes with equality. 15th century chivalrous code doesn't and shouldn't apply to video games. Especially, these LF ladies. They cyber killed my imaginary twin brother.

Generik79
02-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Of all topics to be looked into, you can file this one in file 13. This is ridiculous. Who cares. You pay too much attention to even notice this, let alone be bothered by it. I have your solution, do not do the missions versus female avatars. This is a video game. Come on. I'm most certainly not for hitting women or addressing anyone with violence, yet we play this game. I've said too much. This is just silly.

Ryans67
02-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Wow....IMO, this may be the closest you ever get to touching a woman...

Jesse21
02-01-2014, 10:24 AM
I have to agree your making to much of this.

If this is the case we shouldn't raid bases with female avatars or attack them. ..... That wouldn't be fair either.

So do we ban female players?

Equal is equal.

I don't beat women in real life, I don't beat men either.

Not all female video game characters can be cheerleaders in bikinis.

bioweaponeer
02-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Agent Orange:
I feel sorry for those who post and complain, seriously guys you are wasting your time.
Just sit back and watch Rome burn.

As everyone else has said, its just a game. Why arent you complaining about killing people and blowing up buildings?

Dutchie
02-01-2014, 10:53 AM
They could mix it up a bit more... Why can't they include vehicles?

Inimical
02-01-2014, 11:10 AM
They could mix it up a bit more... Why can't they include vehicles?

Now that's an idea. A little Humvee just scooting a long. Couldn't be any more difficult for the art department then people.

Pee-Wee Herman
02-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Casbah Cash LTQ:

So I just got done "Blackmailing*" the Senior LF Scout in Border Guard Complex, and after watching 21 animations of my character slapping, stabbing, stomping, shooting, and karate chopping the character in nice civilian clothes, I am growing sick of the imagery. In fact, all of the "LF" NPCs in the Border Guard Complex are female characters in civilian clothes.

(Image used to demonstrate mission concept; not endorsed in the slightest; staged by actors: do not imitate)

This is lame.

Slapping around women is very unappealing to me, and promoting it over and over again approaches on the inappropriate and offensive.

This is just my personal opinion, and you may disagree on the level of "PC" in this post, however it is stomping an image of a woman over and over and over again. Then repeat to the next target.

Somewhat related: what does "LF" stand for? I am very curious to see what kind of shallow explanation could be garnered.

*Both the Senior LF Scout and Expert LF Scout in the Mountain Pass have "interesting" mission titles compared to the design of the character.
This is pretty over the top.

J V
02-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Haha I understand why it offends you, but if fake animated violence offends you, why are you playing a war game? Haha I mean come on brotha! Grow up! FYI no women were hurt during the fake filming of pixilated characters playing a f'n video game! Hahah just wow!!

bthuel
02-01-2014, 11:24 AM
I am a female who has been playing this game since the first day it was released; that being said I find this thread totally ridiculous, lmao and smh! Do people ready read the story lines in the ltq's? This game is for a mature audience, mature obviously being the optional word. I will take creative freedom over liberal left-wing political correctness any day of the year. At least as a women I can decide what I want to engage in instead of a bunch of political talking heads (who are mostly older men) deciding for me because they think they know what is "best" for me and can make a "better" decision than I could. This is too funny to even comment further on. Good luck all and happy gaming!

Waynetastic
02-01-2014, 11:50 AM
I didn't notice that I was beating up women in civies. I only noticed that I was tapping on NPC's below arrows. (I did notice in an earlier LTQ that an NPC with "Thug" in the name was a woman in a skirt.) Had I noticed, I doubt that I would have thought anything of it. While it might not bother me, I can understand how a person could find repeatedly attacking a female civilian to be distasteful.

I have to give Sirius credit for the prompt, considered response. Sadly, I think it is the only response so far that doesn't boil down to, "I dismiss your feelings and opinions as inconsequential, and you shouldn't articulate them."
On the flip side, I can't recall the last time I saw a post from someone at GREE that wasn't immediately met with undue hostility by several people. Good job not being completely terrible, Modern War community.

Casbah Cash LTQ:

I assumed that LF stands for Land Forces. I don't know where that idea came from. I might have just made it up.

I'm uncertain as to what you find interesting here. I find it interesting that this point is ambiguous while all the other points made in the post are clear. My guess is that you find it interesting that the mission is to blackmail the dark-skinned Senior LF Scout. If I'm right, the point you are trying to make is a pretty big stretch. At no point in time has the word blackmail, or the earlier terms from which it was likely derived, had anything to do with the color of people. Also, there are other missions that require you to blackmail white men.

::bracing for backlash::

Mr llama
02-01-2014, 12:15 PM
I didn't notice that I was beating up women in civies. I only noticed that I was tapping on NPC's below arrows.[/FONT]
Have to agree wasn't even paying attention to what the characters are

dpghost mobile
02-01-2014, 01:18 PM
this is a violent game
Clearly you haven't thought that!
Maybe you should reconsider what you want to endorse or not

Casbah Cash LTQ:

This is lame.

DTA-HOG
02-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Wow....IMO, this may be the closest you ever get to touching a woman...

Wow bro. You hit the nail on the head here. Well done.

These are not women... These are pixels. 99% of the goals we do in game would never be considered to do in real life. Candy Crush might be calling your name as well. I'm sure a good part of the women on the coding team have no problem with this and would never even consider the game to be a reflection upon ones real life. I highly doubt the vast majority of women that play this game have a problem with it either.

bergmystr
02-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Yes I smack my wife...... And sometimes she deserves it

Kennetth
02-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Yes I smack my wife...... And sometimes she deserves it
What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you haven't told her twice already!

Before I get a dozen angry emails understand that I am joking and would never hit the beautiful woman that means the world to me (or any women for that matter). This is such a ridiculous PC thread I just felt like we needed to lighten it up a little. You are assaulting little pixels, not people! If the representation is violence against men then do you condone it? If the answer is yes then you expose your hypocrisy, go play animal farm (oh lord I hope you're not a card-carrying member of PETA).

Sinisterclick
02-01-2014, 02:31 PM
You have a choice ;-)

HGF69
02-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Wow, I thought Robs was a sensible guy, now I just think he's a Fud!

Ysae Kaeps ASU
02-01-2014, 02:38 PM
People are entitled to their point of view. His point is articulate.

Next time Robbie get clearance from the forum Brownshirts.

Jannski
02-01-2014, 03:25 PM
People are entitled to their point of view. His point is articulate.

Next time Robbie get clearance from the forum Brownshirts.

Well said.

Rob... when I read your post, my thought was "Hey! Chivalry is not dead!"

I am a long time gamer woman who respects your opinion.

Bobar
02-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks for providing your feedback (which is very detailed btw) and how you feel in regards to the mission an it's goals.

None of this is intended in any way to be offensive or derogatory to anyone. I am passing this on up to be looked into and addressed as needed.

Really? This is what you care about? One post and you reply, taking measures? Severals telling you about more serious Problems and not reaction at all?

Robespierre
02-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks folks for the responses. And I respect all of your opinions and commentary on the issue.

Yes, the post was provocative, and it was meant to be that way--a pure opinion piece and a matter of taste.

Your tastes may vary.
I may be cursed to think beyond the mere tap-tap-taperoo, and pointing out some under-considered points is what I enjoy doing around here, especially commenting on the social or psychological aspects of the game we all play here.

We may see the same things differently.

http://www.magictom.com/_borders/New_optical_cat_or_rabbit.gif

Thank you Sirius for the prompt response. Very appreciated.

Happy gaming.

Socks
02-01-2014, 08:37 PM
BFD. Women go to war too.

2000y2k
02-01-2014, 10:50 PM
You are an idiot. You claim to care that fake women get the **** beat out of them and post a clip of women getting slapped around.

You have to much time on your hands little man.

Hazzardguy
02-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Best post Ever!! I do not find the beating on women offensive. Equality comes in all forms now days! What the mod should look into is the busted ass drop rate on folders! These LF targets are probably the ones who stole the folders. I think LF stands for Lost Folders, GREE is giving us a tiny bit of comfort knowing these are the ones responsible for the missing folders. Thanks GREE my character enjoys beating down the pond scum who took our folders and our chances of finishing the Raid Boss!

lemonhaze
02-01-2014, 11:50 PM
lol this is just 1 more thread to cry in..this is way over the top..if u dont like it delete the app and be done wit it..DUH..i love slapping my fake women pixals around..i slap them a bit harder when they drop that juicy loot...i wonder what he would say about the XXX cartoons lol maybe he would be devastated lmao

Gen CheeBye
02-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Sirius, maybe you can add realism with child soldiers toting AK47s or hooded women strapped with bomb vests.

If you guys are happy with images of women in civilian clothing getting beaten/stabbed/shot at, those that I mentioned above would be just your run-of-the-mill stuff.

That's just my OPINION. You don't have to agree with it and I don't expect many of you would.

It's all about leaving a bad aftertaste.

Sherah
02-02-2014, 12:06 AM
Well I for one want to congratulate Robespierre on a very thoughtful, thought-provoking and well-articulated post. I love this game and I am a woman, (as opposed to a "women" or a "political talking head").

I am not suggesting that GREE eliminate female avatars from the game but I do think that imagery matters. Over time, we become desensitized to certain images and that does affect how we think, at the very least on a subliminal level. I'm OBVIOUSLY NOT saying that a man who plays this game is likelier to hit women, but I do think it is always good to be AWARE of what we are seeing and to acknowledge it. Domestic violence against women and children is much more pervasive than people think and media images normalizing violent or abuse behaviors insidiously weave oppressive values into social fabric.

A good way to avoid this is to discuss these issues and bring them to light. I would also add that it seems most of you have missed a distinction - Robespierre highlighted the difference between civilians and soldiers, which again, is of some importance and should be acknowledged.

I don't know what the answer is here but I do appreciate that someone made this comment. Also, a big KUDOS to GREE - I was VERY impressed that they responded so promptly and thoughtfully to this post. That tells me that this kind of thing is important to them despite the fact that the biggest slice of their demographic is probably 18- 40, male, and manifestly doesn't care too much about this.

And by the way, to the many posters who thought they were witty in asserting "that's probably the closest he's come to a woman", I would wager that you're dead wrong. ALL of the women I know, including myself, find intellect, sensitivity, social conscience and working knowledge of French history to be very sexy.

Robespierre probably gets way more than the lot of you put together! LOL.

SevenO9
02-02-2014, 12:46 AM
And by the way, to the many posters who thought they were witty in asserting "that's probably the closest he's come to a woman", I would wager that you're dead wrong. ALL of the women I know, including myself, find intellect, sensitivity, social conscience and working knowledge of French history to be very sexy.

As much as you assessment seems to be correct, it will unfortunatelly cause lot of hate mostly.

But then, this is the internet. Robespierre might be a hot 19 year old chick disguising as a smart guy.

Sherah
02-02-2014, 01:41 AM
As much as you assessment seems to be correct, it will unfortunatelly cause lot of hate mostly.

But then, this is the internet. Robespierre might be a hot 19 year old chick disguising as a smart guy.

Lol I was only joking around... But you're right! Anyone could be anyone online - I guess that is both the beauty and frustrating nature of the internet. I love your sig pic by the way! Seven of Nine was so hot on Voyager! Lol.

Kennetth
02-02-2014, 04:16 AM
Sirius, maybe you can add realism with child soldiers toting AK47s or hooded women strapped with bomb vests.

If you guys are happy with images of women in civilian clothing getting beaten/stabbed/shot at, those that I mentioned above would be just your run-of-the-mill stuff.

That's just my OPINION. You don't have to agree with it and I don't expect many of you would.

It's all about leaving a bad aftertaste.
So is the main problem hitting civilians then? Women today are allowed on the front lines same as men. If all NPC combatants had to wear a military uniform because it's wrong to attack unarmed civilians that is a more reasonable premise. Again though if you're actually playing the game in search of life lessons instead of entertainment, you may want to reevaluate why you play these games

Gen CheeBye
02-02-2014, 05:41 AM
So is the main problem hitting civilians then? Women today are allowed on the front lines same as men. If all NPC combatants had to wear a military uniform because it's wrong to attack unarmed civilians that is a more reasonable premise. Again though if you're actually playing the game in search of life lessons instead of entertainment, you may want to reevaluate why you play these games

It's just that simple.

Paisthecoolest
02-02-2014, 10:49 AM
I may not agree, but I am glad there is a thread on the first page that isn't recruiting!

Vegaman
02-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Robespierre thanks for a thought provoking break from the usual drivel. Good post and well written.

Vegaman
02-03-2014, 05:33 AM
Let me guess, you don't attack female players too right?

He's not talking about that.... Doh !!

Look at the film Soldier Blue, it wouldn't rate 12 in todays society neither would the Dirty Harry movies.
So his point is a very valid one. The more you desensitise people the less they become shocked and outraged and the more this behaviour is tolerated in society.

As an aside i set up my latest LLP as a female character and made her look cute. I got Allie requests galore. Got hit on by a few puffed up nerds and i get rarely attacked. I get great faction invites all the time and its brought out the lady in me lol.

Agent Orange
02-03-2014, 08:04 AM
Interesting points. Those that made light of this perhaps need to rethink that position.

Personally I had not noticed who I was hitting since my mind goes into cruise control during these events. However the distintion that we are not hitting military targets is a rather good point and though I'm sure it was an honest oversight it took courage to bring this up.

And if expanded upon further and taken into the context of the national base of the parent company and the role of women in that society I can actually see a much darker side to this.....

I applaude the mods for taking note and passing this along the chain.

Agent Orange
02-03-2014, 08:06 AM
He's not talking about that.... Doh !!

Look at the film Soldier Blue, it wouldn't rate 12 in todays society neither would the Dirty Harry movies.
So his point is a very valid one. The more you desensitise people the less they become shocked and outraged and the more this behaviour is tolerated in society.

As an aside i set up my latest LLP as a female character and made her look cute. I got Allie requests galore. Got hit on by a few puffed up nerds and i get rarely attacked. I get great faction invites all the time and its brought out the lady in me lol.

It is funny that you mention that as I to have set up several female players and experimented with different names and avatars to see who gets more hits and who less. It is quite interesting as you have mentioned.

bearbellycub
02-03-2014, 08:19 AM
I agree with AO ... although many people take matters like this way too seriously or think that it is a joke to even mention it at all. The world we live in today has a serious problem with how they handle the issues with violence towards others, period. These issues will never disappear and that is an unfortunate aspect of life. Whether or not you agree with Robespierre's premise that this is disturbing, is no reason to flame this thread. If you find the need to attack the concept of Robespierre's concern, this only shows how little you understand the world outside of your own perspective.

On the business side of things, this could be an explosive situation for GREE if they choose to do nothing. Especially after it has been brought to their attention.

Welcome to a world where no matter what you think or do, there will always be someone to play the role of E-thug!

Interesting points. Those that made light of this perhaps need to rethink that position.

Personally I had not noticed who I was hitting since my mind goes into cruise control during these events. However the distintion that we are not hitting military targets is a rather good point and though I'm sure it was an honest oversight it took courage to bring this up.

And if expanded upon further and taken into the context of the national base of the parent company and the role of women in that society I can actually see a much darker side to this.....

Dutchie
02-03-2014, 08:20 AM
It is funny that you mention that as I to have set up several female players and experimented with different names and avatars to see who gets more hits and who less. It is quite interesting as you have mentioned. Have you seen the most recent survey from GREE? Question is if other players have found love with your new accounts... ROFL

Link to survey: http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?81150-Short-Survey-We-d-Love-To-Have-Your-Feedback!

No, I did not waste my time to complete this...

Merrimon
02-04-2014, 06:23 AM
So we can only accept violence against males then right? Smacks of hypocrisy a bit.

Saluki
02-04-2014, 06:31 AM
So we can only accept violence against males then right? Smacks of hypocrisy a bit.

If that is what you get from Robespierre's post, then I'm afraid you have trouble understanding the main point of an article, or clueless, or very defensive.

2MblaZ
02-04-2014, 07:08 AM
Don't worry - nxt NPCs will b all males in skirts - all equal right? -_- Such over the top post is why this whole world is crawling up the arse - shows how much time somebody has on their hands to even write such nonsense and appear deeply offended - start a petition some hippy style:

no violence against female pixels!!

:cool:

Saluki
02-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Sherah, Agent Orange and bearbellycub have said everything I wanted to say, right down to every word.

Like most people here, I myself didn't pay any attention to the targets' gender, and whether they're civilian or military personel. I just tap away at anything with an arrow above them. But Robespierre's post and concerns are legitimate and are great food for thought. People never realize how psychologically destructive the media we're consuming is to our thinking and perception. And the most destructive thing about it is that they're never concious of it.

You might think it is harmless to see skinny, beautiful women all over Hollywoods, but you didn't know a couple decades of that had drilled the perception "skinny = beauty" into hundreds thousands of women's heads, and drive them into anoxeria and death. You might think it is harmless to see comedy of women abusing their boyfriends/husbands because it's much rarer in reality compared to its vice versa counterpart, but you didn't know that had drived thousand of men being ashamed and trying to hide the fact that they're abused.

The people who know it better realize the effect something seems so trivial might cause to our society. People who cried that "so it's ok to hit men but not women?" are treading on the naivety path. The fact is that the current world today, even in the most developed countries, the amount of women being abused compared to men are much, much higher. It's for the simple reason that human males are often stronger and larger than human females. The same applied for civilian vs military personel: one obviously has the means to defend themselves and is less vulnerable to abuse/violence than the other. This is exactly why it will always be more disturbing to see violence against women than it is for men, just like it is always more disturbing to see violence against children than adults. Now, you wouldn't say that what I'm trying to say is "so it's okay to hit adults but not children?? Hypocracy!! Humans are all equal!!", would you? Now I hope everyone understand Robespierre's point much better and be less defensive.

Also, I'd like to confirm something Sherah said:

I'm not disturbed by the NPCs' gender, but when I read Robes' post, all I can think about is "wow, so this kind of men does exist, I want him."

Well I for one want to congratulate Robespierre on a very thoughtful, thought-provoking and well-articulated post. I love this game and I am a woman, (as opposed to a "women" or a "political talking head").

I am not suggesting that GREE eliminate female avatars from the game but I do think that imagery matters. Over time, we become desensitized to certain images and that does affect how we think, at the very least on a subliminal level. I'm OBVIOUSLY NOT saying that a man who plays this game is likelier to hit women, but I do think it is always good to be AWARE of what we are seeing and to acknowledge it. Domestic violence against women and children is much more pervasive than people think and media images normalizing violent or abuse behaviors insidiously weave oppressive values into social fabric.

A good way to avoid this is to discuss these issues and bring them to light. I would also add that it seems most of you have missed a distinction - Robespierre highlighted the difference between civilians and soldiers, which again, is of some importance and should be acknowledged.

I don't know what the answer is here but I do appreciate that someone made this comment. Also, a big KUDOS to GREE - I was VERY impressed that they responded so promptly and thoughtfully to this post. That tells me that this kind of thing is important to them despite the fact that the biggest slice of their demographic is probably 18- 40, male, and manifestly doesn't care too much about this.

I agree with AO ... although many people take matters like this way too seriously or think that it is a joke to even mention it at all. The world we live in today has a serious problem with how they handle the issues with violence towards others, period. These issues will never disappear and that is an unfortunate aspect of life. Whether or not you agree with Robespierre's premise that this is disturbing, is no reason to flame this thread. If you find the need to attack the concept of Robespierre's concern, this only shows how little you understand the world outside of your own perspective.

On the business side of things, this could be an explosive situation for GREE if they choose to do nothing. Especially after it has been brought to their attention.

Welcome to a world where no matter what you think or do, there will always be someone to play the role of E-thug!

Luuzer
02-04-2014, 03:05 PM
well he has some good points, who knows what it will do with our subconscious, but I've asked a question here on the forum before and it never got answered :(

Why does Gree hate women and black guys?

Just look at the startup avatar. All the other guys have helmets, only black guy and a woman are without it. That has disturbed me from the day they changed the avatar :(

nikkomw
02-04-2014, 03:13 PM
My avatar is female so when I attack it is a female on female fight. I find this to be sexist against women and this cat fighting situation should be stopped. My cat made a meow noise while my avatar attacked a woman character. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or if it was caused by Gree but my cat should never have been put in that situation. Now I feel like my cat is sexist as well and I can't play Modern War around her now. Gree it's time to take some responsibility.

The Pharoah
02-05-2014, 04:25 AM
My only real thought on this subject is that Gree must have seriously misunderstood the meaning of 'blackmail'.

The animations in this game are crude at best. You will often find animations mismatched with the action they are intended to represent.

Whilst I do not share the opinion of the original poster, I applaud the attention he pays to the game and the fact that he thinks about what he sees. Too much of what happens in the world goes unseen and unconsidered, and the world is the worse for it.

However, as I'm sure many other people have pointed out, in this game you also:

a) Team up with other players in what are essentially gangs.
b) Steal money.
c) Blow up buildings.
d) Beat up weaker players until you can't hit them any more, in order to get stronger.

Against this background, does it really matter whether the tiny pixelated NPC theoretically has its non-existent genitals on the inside or on the outside?

Not to mention, we are assuming the NPCs are evil-doers, and by engaging them and neutralising the threat they pose, we are working towards a safer, more peaceful world for tiny pixelated theoretical woman (and men, children, puppies, kittens, etc) everywhere. I would assume that someone who has your clearly quite solid grasp of the game's wider consequences would consider that the bigger picture justified a little pimp-style blackmail for the greater good.

The Pharoah
02-05-2014, 05:08 AM
Upon the issue of soldiers attacking civilians:

In the course of the game (as in RL), the enemy is sometimes a militia or terrorist group rather than a conventional standing national army, and as such their operatives might reasonably appear to be civilians. However, the fact that we are able to recover massively powerful weapons by defeating these groups, vindicates our intervention in their activities. You can only move forward by engaging the correct targets, and so if engaging a target appears civilian causes you to progress up the mission chain, they were clearly not innocent. Likewise, if you accidentally hit a target which is military in appearance and you do not move forward as a result, then they are unconnected with the objective. In the game it is the activity and the intention of the NPCs that defines whether they are a target, not their appearance, and so you cannot be wrong to engage the correct target. I suppose that is the saving grace of war games over actual war.