PDA

View Full Version : Repeat Match-Ups, Barrage the Barrens

Zenobia
01-31-2014, 12:12 PM
So we just declared our second battle of the war... And got RE-MATCHED with our opponents from the first battle!

Gree, are you EVER going to do something about the problem of too many repeat match-ups over the course of a war?

Everyone else, let's try to keep track of how many duplicate matches Gree is handing out. As you get repeat match-ups, and triple and quadruple ones, please post here.

Zenobia
01-31-2014, 03:01 PM
I know of a guild that has matched the same other guild THREE times already. And the war is only 4 hours old. Seriously. NOT kidding.

Alexius
01-31-2014, 03:42 PM
4 wars, 2 repeats already.

Jerle
01-31-2014, 03:50 PM
3's actually the hard limit for any particular pair of guilds (for this war, that's always subject to change). Repeats can happen if the matcher is having a hard time finding anyone of comparable match quality.

We're looking at making more improvements to prevent back-to-back repeats in the near future.

Alexius
01-31-2014, 04:20 PM
A little more feedback, match times are up considerably. I think it will be nearly impossible to hit 56 wars even when we lose 15-20min per war.

Krayt
01-31-2014, 04:33 PM
I heard DW has drawn RK twice already

Alexius
01-31-2014, 04:34 PM
Also, individual hits now take 7-30 sec to perform. It used to be .5-4seconds.

Berneburg
01-31-2014, 04:55 PM
How about this for a match-up. My guild, single player lvl 9, 90k attack. My opponent, 11 members; GG lvl 115. I have 4 free hits, they have 44 free hits. Now is that an even match-up?

NinjaHonu
01-31-2014, 06:20 PM
matching the same guild 3 times in a row.... wtf. new algorithm sucks!

Zenobia
01-31-2014, 08:28 PM
3's actually the hard limit for any particular pair of guilds (for this war, that's always subject to change). Repeats can happen if the matcher is having a hard time finding anyone of comparable match quality.

We're looking at making more improvements to prevent back-to-back repeats in the near future.

Thanks for the info, Jerle. The team that got the same match 3 wars in a row in fact has not matched them since. We sincerely hope this means all of us, after matching any particular guild 3 times, can count on not getting them yet again. :)

Perfuzzie
01-31-2014, 08:28 PM
I heard DW has drawn RK twice already

and FUN :) want to get them out of the way :rolleyes:

Alexius
01-31-2014, 09:44 PM
Down a war and a half possible already, current pair time is 10 minutes.......

Munseyspin
02-01-2014, 01:10 AM
Matching times are ridiculous. Change the algorithm back please.

marko101
02-01-2014, 01:44 AM
New matching algorithm is really bad! Splinters only fighting splinters what's that all about gree? Won't more good spenders to leave?

England Jon
02-01-2014, 03:10 AM
The new matching algorithim is working great. All good matchups. Well done Gree. Wars are fun again.

mikejmc
02-01-2014, 03:34 AM
The new matching algorithim is working awesome. It's so much more fun not fighting splinter guilds and I always have targets to attack.

aephlux
02-01-2014, 03:47 AM
Matching times are significantly longer, i prefer the old algorithm.

Sr Chubbs
02-01-2014, 04:38 AM
For the 'normal player' guilds, the new matching algorithm is working great! We actually are facing opponents we can take on and are similarity matched to us. Actual competition. Not going up against newly formed guilds trying to beat the algorithm, not facing 2 member guilds that none of our members stand a chance at fighting. It seems as though they have added logic to their algorithm that takes into account fighting guilds close to your own rank? That would explain the longer match ups for very high ranked guilds and facing of same opponent multiple times in a row.

I think someone (Lyls?) said it best in another post.... No matter what gree does, it going to please some people, and piss off others. Last war was aweful for me, but good for splinter guilds. This was sounds like it is good for me, bad for splinter guilds. I agree that gree will not be able to please everyone as one tweak of the matching logic here will benefit some, hurt others, but if they change it with each war... I welcome the randomness.

Munseyspin
02-01-2014, 05:17 AM
I do find it a little dull spending 25% of my time looking at the "war declared" screen, and then drawing the same guild again.

marko101
02-01-2014, 05:21 AM
Well I hope gree gives us the win streak unit after making us wait so much for matches

Krayt
02-01-2014, 05:30 AM
Well sounds like people are getting what they asked for....

Krayt
02-01-2014, 06:23 AM
How about this for a match-up. My guild, single player lvl 9, 90k attack. My opponent, 11 members; GG lvl 115. I have 4 free hits, they have 44 free hits. Now is that an even match-up?

What do you expect?
You want to go solo then plan on fighting against the odds. At that level you are better off as a wall hitter in a big guild

Alexius
02-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Adjust, and proceed.

Zenobia
02-01-2014, 07:23 AM
Well sounds like people are getting what they asked for....
Some people are. Some people are not.

I think someone (Lyls?) said it best in another post.... No matter what gree does, it going to please some people, and piss off others. Last war was aweful for me, but good for splinter guilds. This was sounds like it is good for me, bad for splinter guilds. I agree that gree will not be able to please everyone as one tweak of the matching logic here will benefit some, hurt others, but if they change it with each war... I welcome the randomness.
Yes, every move they make pleases some and pisses off others. You know what would please the vast majority of us, though? TRANSPARENCY. If they are implementing changes in the algorithm that will drastically affect the ability of one type of guild or another to succeed, tell us before the war what exactly the changes will be, so that we can adjust before it's too late.

I know, I know, an impossible dream. Sigh.

KarenWill
02-01-2014, 07:37 AM
and FUN :) want to get them out of the way :rolleyes:

And they've just met FUN. Again

Well I assume the old algorithm is much better

Berneburg
02-01-2014, 11:59 AM
What do you expect?
You want to go solo then plan on fighting against the odds. At that level you are better off as a wall hitter in a big guild

I expect consistency. Last campaign I won 32 battles against a mixture of single member and mass member guilds. Out of 17 battles this campaign I have matched up with 2 single member guilds. I know there are many who fight their mini just like me, so to get these guilds with multiple times my power is completely incongruous. Algorithm may have changed, but it's now broken.

Lys
02-01-2014, 12:52 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed here, as we've now encountered FUN 3x, RK 2x, and SB 3x. SB was literally 3 in a row as well. And we're a little over 24 hours into the war. Keeping my fingers crossed as those 3 usually account for either a lot of lost time trying to avoid them, or a ton of losses.

Krayt
02-01-2014, 03:46 PM
I expect consistency. Last campaign I won 32 battles against a mixture of single member and mass member guilds. Out of 17 battles this campaign I have matched up with 2 single member guilds. I know there are many who fight their mini just like me, so to get these guilds with multiple times my power is completely incongruous. Algorithm may have changed, but it's now broken.

How do you know there aren't less one man guilds in your level?

Zenobia
02-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed here, as we've now encountered FUN 3x, RK 2x, and SB 3x. SB was literally 3 in a row as well. And we're a little over 24 hours into the war. Keeping my fingers crossed as those 3 usually account for either a lot of lost time trying to avoid them, or a ton of losses.
That's great news for the rest of your war!

LordIndy
02-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jerle

Lys,

You did not note the words subject to change.

Lys
02-01-2014, 08:52 PM
That's great news for the rest of your war!
It actually has been so far. That's still the entirety of our losses, we're now at 21 : 8, and for the first time 50 wins might just be achievable without the fear of landing the TOP 3 over and over again. We had a close call with RK5 (~ 1982k v 1949k), but the rest we've been able to take a lead and maintain it.

Still, there's 1d 21h left, but so far it is looking positive. It's a really nice feeling hitting declare when a war ends and not getting screwed five times in a row.

Perfuzzie
02-01-2014, 09:01 PM
It actually has been so far. That's still the entirety of our losses, we're now at 21 : 8, and for the first time 50 wins might just be achievable without the fear of landing the TOP 3 over and over again. We had a close call with RK5 (~ 1982k v 1949k), but the rest we've been able to take a lead and maintain it.

Still, there's 1d 21h left, but so far it is looking positive. It's a really nice feeling hitting declare when a war ends and not getting screwed five times in a row.

RK = screwed again ? :))

mighty mackenzie
02-01-2014, 10:14 PM
You are absolutely correct! This war was great only a few splinter guilds are complaining I guess because they have to face each other now and aren't happy. This was the best algorithm you ever had. Please change it back!

For the 'normal player' guilds, the new matching algorithm is working great! We actually are facing opponents we can take on and are similarity matched to us. Actual competition. Not going up against newly formed guilds trying to beat the algorithm, not facing 2 member guilds that none of our members stand a chance at fighting. It seems as though they have added logic to their algorithm that takes into account fighting guilds close to your own rank? That would explain the longer match ups for very high ranked guilds and facing of same opponent multiple times in a row.

Zenobia
02-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Just want to say a big THANK YOU to Gree for instituting the 3-match limit this war. I think we are all in agreement that that is a very welcome change to the game, making wars noticeably more enjoyable. Adding a No 2-in-a-row rule to that would be great, too, if it's being considered.

Lys
02-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Just want to say a big THANK YOU to Gree for instituting the 3-match limit this war. I think we are all in agreement that that is a very welcome change to the game, making wars noticeably more enjoyable. Adding a No 2-in-a-row rule to that would be great, too, if it's being considered.
The hard cap on 3 meetings with any one guild truly was an amazing decision. As for the fights back to back (We had SB 3 times in a row early on) it's sort of a toss up, as for us we knew they were coming, it wass just a matter of when. Once we got our last top 3 matchup behind us, we were able to move forward and had one hell of a blast. this was by far the most enjoyable war for many Dragon Warriors, and for once we achieved 50 wins. Actually went 54-9, so the changes they made were amazing. Only faced 1 splinter guild that I'm aware of with back-to-back matches. Beyond that, I think we had one or two other back-to-back matchups. It's rough, but definitely not the worst compared to before the harp cap of 3.

Also, excuse me for having a mess with this post, my thoughts were everywhere.

Zenobia
02-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Congrats to DW on the 50 wins! It is wonderful to see that it is not completely impossible for a strong, full, non-Top-3 guild to achieve that these days. :D