PDA

View Full Version : Two-month deadline over in-app charges...

Dutchie
01-29-2014, 11:33 PM
It concluded that app makers must:

Provide up-front information about the costs associated with a game before consumers download it

Ensure gamers are not misled to believe they must make a payment to proceed if that is not the case, for example if they could wait for a period of time instead

Prevent the use of language or anything else that might exploit a child's inexperience, for example, implying an in-game character would be disappointed if they did not spend money

Make it clear how to contact the business if the gamer has a complaint

Only take a payment if the account holder provides "informed consent", in other words a charge cannot be made because a password had recently been entered for something else

Sauce: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25944841

Make sure you comply GREE with ALL your games!

Speed ump
01-29-2014, 11:58 PM
I'd have to say, I was completely unaware of so called freemium games before I played this one. I had no idea there were optional items to buy, and would have thought it ridiculous to do so. What would I have done if I had realized this before hand? I think I know, but it's a moot point for me now.

Ysae Kaeps ASU
01-30-2014, 12:09 AM
I think they do now Dutchie. Ill stand corrected if that's found to be not the case currently.

Dutchie
01-30-2014, 02:57 AM
I'd have to say, I was completely unaware of so called freemium games before I played this one. I had no idea there were optional items to buy, and would have thought it ridiculous to do so. What would I have done if I had realized this before hand? I think I know, but it's a moot point for me now. I believe that could be said for the majority of us, but many players are now trapped due to the money, and to a lesser extent, time already spent on the game, as well as the friendships created through the social element of the game. However, I will not throw good money after bad on it, as there are so many things wrong with it. This can only be discovered by playing the game and I am much more wary of these types of games that have a second in-game currency that requires real money needed in order to complete certain aspects of the game.

Dutchie
01-30-2014, 03:07 AM
I think they do now Dutchie. Ill stand corrected if that's found to be not the case currently.I don't think it goes far enough and only addresses a very specific issue related to children whose parents end up with bill shock. For starters, it should be clear in the app description that any purchases made can be devalued through stats inflation which can be introduced at any time to 'reset' the game. There is nothing wrong with incremental inflation, but what GREE did last August was very wrong.

Also, GREE need to publish 24 hours BEFORE an event starts, what can be 'won' in that event. CC has addressed this issue somewhat with A&F posts, but these posts need to be up earlier! This information is sorely lacking here on MW and must be addressed otherwise it is construed as misleading customers and that I take very seriously and why I keep reiterating that GREE is an unscrupulous company. There is NO EXCUSE for not providing this information in advance, as customers must be informed what they are getting when they decide to partake in an event where they use gold. A splash screen with the final reward is not good enough!

Ysae Kaeps ASU
01-30-2014, 03:17 AM
I believe that could be said for the majority of us, but many players are now trapped due to the money, and to a lesser extent, time already spent on the game, as well as the friendships created through the social element of the game. However, I will not throw good money after bad on it, as there are so many things wrong with it. This can only be discovered by playing the game and I am much more wary of these types of games that have a second in-game currency that requires real money needed in order to complete certain aspects of the game.

You're absolutely right Dutchie.

My experience:
Feel obliged because of the obscene amounts of money spent over the 2 1/2+ years. That feeling is leaving me fast. The belief that we are actually progressing after all that spend is not the reality now.

The time spent. It's just embarrassing how much.

The friendships created. Yes, that was hard but I'm releasing myself daily from that feeling of obligation now. That I found to be the most difficult of all. It's not exactly real anyway, even though we may think it is. At some point we will all drift away. I would be kidding myself to think this will go on forever. While I once felt I could visit these people on the other side of the world, the stark reality is that I won't.

This was the first time and this will be the last time. I would never be involved with anything like this again.

I am now time poor with business taking up all my time, so this game is now a serious chore and an interference to progress.

Once the gold is gone then it gets nuked so there can be no return.

free play
01-30-2014, 03:31 AM
Your right Dutchie, I've been playing for over a year now and up till last July or so it was fun to be a free player, since then I'm buying gold which is my choice but the free player in terms of bettering his stats through the events is long gone and never do we get or have gotten 24hrs notice of events, it rather a guessing game as to what happens and reading this forum for information on events.

Only from the good people that play and update on the forum do most have any idea what to do, we are doing the work for gree on that one.

My other half is playing a different game and the updates and notifications from the devs are up to date and explaine everything that is coming up, gree need to learn.

It's not good enough to wait for a splash screen that you don't get half the time or wait for other to post what the reward are, they could be crap but we still pay to get them due to not knowing till it's to late

Dutchie
01-30-2014, 04:08 AM
Exactly freeplay. Although I don't like the freemium model, it is a model that is here to stay and I have accepted that fact. However, there is the right way of doing it and there are many game developers out there that do try and represent fair value for money. There is also the wrong way to do it and GREE is at the extreme end of doing it the wrong way which in the long run will ultimately hurt their bottom line.

Their short-sightedness to generate quick profits is damaging their reputation. However, that is their problem not mine. The best form of marketing is word of mouth and to retain customers or move them onto different products in one's portfolio is by representing fair value for one's products.

However, like I said before, their focus is on trying to sell their "game engine" and "reporting tools" to other games developers which is a completely different kettle of fish and what they want to show their potential business customers is the massive profits that can be quickly generated through their platform, as this will sell the product! We as customers suffer from this and why the game has ended up like it is.

Ysae Kaeps ASU
01-30-2014, 04:09 AM
Don't get caught in the buying trap FreePlay, that will increase exponentially over time with a vault here and a vault there. You don't actually improve against your peers. Relatively speaking we all remain about the same. There really is no progress.

free play
01-30-2014, 04:41 AM
Don't get caught in the buying trap FreePlay, that will increase exponentially over time with a vault here and a vault there. You don't actually improve against your peers. Relatively speaking we all remain about the same. There really is no progress.

I'm aware of have stats pyramid but I do enjoy the game and have only purchased small to help the faction during WD, this event if we get close to finishing it we as a faction have decided to buy folders if we can get help, we are nearly finished normal and progressing nicely.

All we can hope a that gree change there way in communicating, they have improved over the last couple of weeks, they know what they need to do so let's hope they get the go ahead to do it

Dutchie
01-30-2014, 04:50 AM
I'm aware of have stats pyramid but I do enjoy the game and have only purchased small to help the faction during WD, this event if we get close to finishing it we as a faction have decided to buy folders if we can get help, we are nearly finished normal and progressing nicely.All we can hope a that gree change there way in communicating, they have improved over the last couple of weeks, they know what they need to do so let's hope they get the go ahead to do it This has been requested on many occasions and they have had plenty of time to implement these changes to provide the players with proper event information but they have steadily refused to do so, which begs the question... Why? Their interest is clearly not with the players but in other developers who want to buy their platform.

Ysae Kaeps ASU
01-30-2014, 05:17 AM
This has been requested on many occasions and they have had plenty of time to implement these changes to provide the players with proper event information but they have steadily refused to do so, which begs the question... Why? Their interest is clearly not with the players but in other developers who want to buy their platform.

Like this below and many, many more before and since.

Just stop the bait advertising. We know what the main reward is from a splash screen.

If you do anything, describe the event accurately or not at all. There is nothing you tell us that we won't find out. The important information is always withheld.

What are the EXACT requirements for EACH and EVERY level.

Don't care about what targets. Just want to know what energy or other requirements that are essential to progressing.

You have that information. Supply it please and stop withholding it.

If you chose to continue to withhold it, just tell us why. I'm sure we will understand.

Dutchie
01-30-2014, 05:51 AM
Like this below and many, many more before and since. I can't find their response but they stated that providing this information would "ruin" the gaming experience. They feel that some things should be discovered by the players as this should be part of the gaming experience. I see their point to some extent, however this does not mean that they can hide what prizes can be won in the event. A&F posts this information on the CC forum, so why isn't the same done here.

I also think they should publish the total energy requirements for an LTQ so that players can make an informed decision as to spend on the event. To say that this "ruins" the gaming experience is just a really bad excuse as they think that providing this information might prevent players from spending. I don't see how this information ruins the gaming experience.

Dutchie
01-30-2014, 06:25 AM
Smells like a class action suit I don't have the time nor inclination for anything like that, especially as it personally doesn't involve huge amounts unlike others. However, I will provide constructive feedback on how they need to change certain aspects of the game which they can take or leave.

I have already made my decision to stop spending and not to play any of GREE's other games. They have lost me as a customer due to their practices and I am also a lot more wary when I see other freemium games. I have learned many lessons and I'm certainly not bitter about the experience. I have experienced a lot worse and have been ripped off before, although it didn't involve gaming!