PDA

View Full Version : Textures

Viscount Bell
01-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Hi,

I hope this reaches everyone well.

It's probably been suggested 'Des temps en temps' however I would like to suggest it again and pray I am not violating any forums rules in doing so, I mean good :) .

I've noticed that the texture of the base is that of a desert, I know it seems obvious. However, with suggestions about using valor I've decided that it would be useful to use valor, perchance 100,000v to buy new surface textures.

So 100,000v to buy a artic/snowy texture for our base and then 100,000 more v to buy a woodland theme and then so on.

textures are probably limited, but being fun and creative could yield exciting probabilities like having a mars texture, or a moon texture and so on.

I know buildings would probably cover all the base so we cannot really see beneath, but its only a suggestion really and would put another use to valor, to enhance the game or make it fun.

Constructive criticism et les fédback(?) is generally well received.

All the best.
VB, KBE

Arc Burn
01-16-2014, 11:11 AM
I would certainly rather see something more "concrete" to use valor on instead of textures. But, if valor is not going to be used to purchase in game items like: concrete, intel folders, upgrade time reductions, units that make a noticable difference in stats, etc. This could be good. I'd drop 100k to be on the moon. Why not?

I'm no programmer but I wouldn't think it would be too difficult. I may be way off on that last statement, but it could add a nice bit of novelty. Maybe take the sting off the 150 valor box open??.....actually no, not that last bit.

Anyways, good idea.

Kefa
01-16-2014, 12:55 PM
I would LOVEEE to see the ability to make your base look more like a base, whether it's using valor or cash. All the ground surface textures already exist because we see them in the NPC bases. I've always thought it was an oversight that those same textures, including roads, weren't able to be used in your own base.

CJ54
01-16-2014, 12:59 PM
I would LOVEEE to see the ability to make your base look more like a base, whether it's using valor or cash. All the ground surface textures already exist because we see them in the NPC bases. I've always thought it was an oversight that those same textures, including roads, weren't able to be used in your own base.

Early decision made in the name of getting the game out the door, and also to reduce crashes on first-gen devices which were more common at the time. Not sure how feasible it would be now, but could probably be done.

Regarding the lack of roads: Over in Crime City, the BIGGEST early complaint that we got was about the roads. People absolutely hated when they got to the first road expansion; it was just a bad case of aesthetic design running headlong into practical game design. So when we were developing Modern War, after hundreds and hundreds of those complaints, the consensus was "No. No roads."

Kill Joy
01-16-2014, 01:36 PM
as cool as this would be the game already has enough problems. the devs don't need anything else to deal with i would assume

Kefa
01-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Early decision made in the name of getting the game out the door, and also to reduce crashes on first-gen devices which were more common at the time. Not sure how feasible it would be now, but could probably be done.

Regarding the lack of roads: Over in Crime City, the BIGGEST early complaint that we got was about the roads. People absolutely hated when they got to the first road expansion; it was just a bad case of aesthetic design running headlong into practical game design. So when we were developing Modern War, after hundreds and hundreds of those complaints, the consensus was "No. No roads."

Thanks, that all makes sense. I would think you could add it as a modification per tile - grass, snow, dirt, concrete, asphalt - but if it would cause stability issues we're definitely better off without it.

Farticus
01-16-2014, 01:47 PM
I agree with arc burn. Valor points need a useful purpose. It would be good to be able to reduce upgrade times with valor points or allow a one time upgrade of a second building for 1 million valor points. I also like the ability to purchase concrete and intel folders with valor - VERY GOOD IDEA

Systematrix
01-17-2014, 01:18 AM

As a CC player also may I please say THANK YOU to no roads. :D

thunder
01-17-2014, 02:41 AM
Sounds great but if its ever done it will be gold not valor

Viscount Bell
01-17-2014, 03:25 AM
Sounds great but if its ever done it will be gold not valor

That's true

Kefa
01-17-2014, 09:48 AM
As a CC player also may I please say THANK YOU to no roads. :D

Roads in CC SUCK!

Use roads as a placeable visual surface texture only, NOT as a fixed part of the map that make you purchase unusable land expansions where buildings may not be placed.

I hate to say it, but look at how surface textures work in Simpsons Tapped Out. You pick where they go and build your town however you want, including water, and landscape textures are free. If you don't want roads, don't place any.

In CC it's not the fact that roads exist that makes it a problem. It's the fact that you can't choose where or whether to place them, and that you buy expensive land you can't use simply because you can't move or remove the street.