PDA

View Full Version : Which Comms App to Choose!? Group? Line? Kakao? A N Other?

Zippy69
01-14-2014, 05:56 AM
OK my Syndicate has made good job of bad system & up until now, managed with 'in house' Syndicate Forum & PMs and despite all lagging etc, we were still able to co-ordinate enough to finish in Top 750 last Battle...

But, this is unsustainable and we need a new system asap; especially as we now have over 40 Members.

I've recently downloaded GroupMe and taken part in 2 separate (realistically 1-1) conversations but, it's not what I expected...

I'll be honest, I'm new to these apps but, I was expecting/anticipating something like a 'chat room'; where all Members are listed, so you instantly know whose on & who isn't (pretty fundamental to run a Syndicate).

NB: I only intend using the comms app on my laptop, at home.

I've seen people talking about GroupMe rooms (for UZI trades / Syndicate Boss Bashing Assistance etc) but couldn't get the Search function to do anything on my laptop...

Not sure about LINE because It looks like i'll have to download it to my phone, just to use it on the laptop!?

ideal world:

in my mind's eye; I'm picturing a Syndicate Homepage- which displays members names & clearly shows On/Off Line with a standard chat page - for members general chatter...

then i'm seeing sub groups for Battle / SLTQ / Raid Boss / Epic Boss (Open to All) & a Closed Officer's Room for tactical discussions & member reviews...

Does such a beast exist?

If it doesn't, could someone let me know where the best guides are to utilising these apps to improve Syndicate Data Flow & Battle Control...

Worst Case scenario - i'll just set up a Syndicate page on FB!
at least i'll know when members are on line..

Also, after all this, one of our strongest members might not be able to access the damn thing after all, due to security issues...

Raws
01-14-2014, 06:20 AM
groupme is good

Zippy69
01-14-2014, 06:33 AM
groupme is good

well must just be me then cos it just doesn't seem to do anything?

is there a user guide / help for dummies!?

kashishk
01-14-2014, 06:36 AM
We're top 150 and we use Kakao, It's pretty good!

J4CK D4N13L N0 7
01-14-2014, 06:36 AM
palringo - you can see who is online, and can download on desktops (including macs), can also kick people out

groupme - you can kick members from groups, and can access groups via internet browser, so accessible on pc's and macs as well as an app, preset limit of group is 50 i think but you can email them to increase

kakao - cant download on mac desktops, and can't kick people from groups, does bookmark where you last read up to so its easy to catch up on convos. don't believe there is a limit on group size

i've used all three and cant really say i dislike any of them, if i had to choose one it would be group me for the ease of accessibility on mac desktop, but been using kakao for a few months now without any glaring problems!

J4CK D4N13L N0 7
01-14-2014, 06:38 AM
also you wont be able to search for rooms in most apps, you will need to be sent the invite link

Zippy69
01-14-2014, 06:44 AM
thanks Jack

makes it worthless having a search function :O)

what's viewability (members on line) like on groupme (we've got around 45 members but space for 50)

Zippy69
01-14-2014, 06:46 AM
@Jack

also how do people use it for SLTQs / Battles
do you have single Syndicate Room or specific rooms for specific events?

J4CK D4N13L N0 7
01-14-2014, 06:52 AM
dont think you can see who is actually online in group me

we use kakao and like many syns have a main chat room and a intel room, use the main room for any chat, intel room is for event information/rivals stat lists in battle. makes it easy for people to just log on and find a target

Zippy69
01-14-2014, 06:59 AM
dont think you can see who is actually online in group me

we use kakao and like many syns have a main chat room and a intel room, use the main room for any chat, intel room is for event information/rivals stat lists in battle. makes it easy for people to just log on and find a target

that sounds like what I want to do / how I want to operate...

but you say you can't kick group members! so people that leave can still view groups?
what do you do, change group name?

HTCBC
01-14-2014, 07:02 AM
Line is the best.

Its clean not messy like the others. I would say install them all like i did try them out with your officers first.

I would say we have a good 30/40 crews on line with lots of help rooms STLQ rooms Intel rooms.

but like i said install them try them its the best way

Zippy69
01-14-2014, 07:50 AM
thanks that's what I'm actually doing...

like look of line but don't like fact I have to put it on my phone to work laptop!
always a catch

sister morphine
01-14-2014, 07:51 AM
that sounds like what I want to do / how I want to operate...

but you say you can't kick group members! so people that leave can still view groups?
what do you do, change group name?
No, if someone gets kicked from a group they can't see it any longer (unless they have a friend inside who is screen grabbing and passing to them). A person who leaves by choice can return if they wish (in kakao they can be dragged back in too, not sure if that's the case with others), but an alert is always on the chat if someone exits (or is exited) or joins, so you can see if someone is spying, lol.

I've always recommended groupme before as its relatively straightforward. On my iPad though it has an irritating habit of freezing at inopportune moments. Others in the group get that too. It also doesn't bookmark your place in a chat so you need to scroll right back if you missed something. Kakao does bookmark, and I'm told Line does also. That's a big plus for both.

As for palringo, I couldn't wait to kick it off my phone when I briefly had it. Apparently it's much better on a PC, so that shouldn't affect you personally. Something to bear in mind for the group as a whole though.

Zippy69
01-14-2014, 09:37 AM
cheers Sister;

just seen that Kakao seems to be mobile only...

so LINE (if I link to mobile) or GroupMe seems way to go...

bravo 6 vk
01-14-2014, 09:52 AM
just seen that Kakao seems to be mobile only..
Kakao works nicely on PC too

Ryan the Great8
01-14-2014, 11:51 AM
I've used GroupMe, IMO and Kakao and personally prefer Kakao the best. Works great on my laptop and on my phone when I'm not at home. Only complaint is not being able to see who is online in a chatroom and that you can't remove friends after they are removed from the syndicate.

SOGO
01-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Kakao's biggest problem is not being able to kick users. You can boot someone from your syndicate, but you can't boot them from your chat. If the boot-ee doesn't leave, you will probably end up moving everyone else to a new chatroom.

LINE and Kakao have a very similar interface, only with LINE you can kick users, and LINE has a Notes function where you can pin up (think "Sticky") notes that can be easily accessed and not get lost in the chat, plus you can Like (great for important messages/instructions where you want people to acknowledge that they have read it and will follow the instructions) or comment on notes.

Might wanna explore WeChat as well, also similar interface, but has animated smileys.

Despite all the Palringo hating, it is the only chat app that requires only your email address and does not require your phone number or Facebook Connect. I know people who are stuck with Palringo because they have members who refuse to use any app that requires either one of the latter two. If you have members like that, then you're either going to drop them or end up on Palringo.

Puckface McGee
01-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Groupme here, it does seem to lag a little if you're in a good amount of rooms and sometimes crashes before you can successfully open the app. Reinstalling every few weeks keeps it running smooth, though. Aside from those problems it works just fine!

ILikeTheAbuse
01-14-2014, 12:48 PM
LINE, hands down... it doesn't do everything as if it were designed for a CC syndicate, but it's the closest thing there is.

ploop
01-14-2014, 01:12 PM
No, if someone gets kicked from a group they can't see it any longer (unless they have a friend inside who is screen grabbing and passing to them). A person who leaves by choice can return if they wish (in kakao they can be dragged back in too, not sure if that's the case with others), but an alert is always on the chat if someone exits (or is exited) or joins, so you can see if someone is spying, lol.

That would be the hell room. The only way to escape is to block everybody!

sister morphine
01-14-2014, 03:32 PM
That would be the hell room. The only way to escape is to block everybody!
Or post a gross arse photo until they can't stand it any longer ;)

ploop
01-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Or post a gross arse photo until they can't stand it any longer ;)

Well that too. How did you know that?

crystalK
01-14-2014, 04:12 PM
My syn uses facebook, we set up a group and use that, works well

MS13-TURKISHTIGER
01-14-2014, 04:19 PM
have u guys tried IRC , its the best chat app out there

Flapjacks
01-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Kakao is definitely the best. Coincidently, it is the only app featuring Brad, HB & Robnholmes.

D@C
01-14-2014, 07:01 PM
The syndicate(top 250) i am with uses Line. We have a chat room, war room, member stats room, and an alert room members can be kicked. And if you are logged off, when you log back on it shows you the first post after you logged off.

I am on a faction in mw that uses palringo. I find it less organized. Scrolling back to find any info you missed sucks.

reticlover
01-14-2014, 07:08 PM
we use groupme, easy to navigate, can add members buy using e-mail address or cell number. best app so far that i have used, tried glassboard, palringo, kakao, none have been as user friendly as GM. just contact customer support and they will raise limit on the chat room

Shadypal
01-14-2014, 07:39 PM
LINE is the best chat app around imo.

- Space for up to 100 members per room
- Can create separate rooms (main, intel, war room, trade, etc..)
- Lets you post notes (sticky)
- No lag/downtime and if it does get slow you can delete your chat history/pics
- No need to give out your email/phone number. Add friends/members by user name
- FREE
- Shows how many members "read' your posts
- Clean UI
- Stickers!
- Add and remove members from chats (if you kick a member from your syndicate)
- Toggle notifications on/off per room
- Saves spot from last read post so you can keep up on chats or just scroll down to skip it

You just have to create a LINE account to get it working on your PC. The only function you cant use on the PC version is the Notes. I have not seen an app that shows current members "online".

Edit: I have used Whatsapp, GroupME, Kakao and probably a few others and LINE was cleaner and easier to use.

mulabenzy
01-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Group ME is by far the best.

sister morphine
01-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Well that too. How did you know that?
Haha, I got added because some old friends wanted to make contact. Did that and then remembered an urgent appointment elsewhere! ;)

FlyMeMoon
01-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Ive used Groupme, MessageMe and Kik. Kik is nice but small room limits are a hindrance. MessageMe which im using now sucks. I find its slow and reading older messages when people are chatting is a pain and impossible. Starting a new room every single time a member is no longer wanted in that room is just dumb by the developers. Groupme is the best ive used. There is a Like feature and you can get peeps to agree to something or acknowledging they've read a message by Liking it. On seeing who's around, do a roll call in a battle or specific room.

Mirmur
01-16-2014, 02:52 AM
I'm on Groupme;
-limit of a group is 50 members but you can ask for an increase.
-you can remove people from the group
-if you want to make sure everyone read something (like pre-war strategy), you can ask then to read and 'like' the comment (instead of having them all msg you that they read it).
-yoor msgs are seen in a different color, so if you've missed a convo and want to read up, just scroll until u see your msg and read down

You basically open any room you'd like (raid boss, war, intel...) and add everyone in.

I wouldn't recommend palringo nor line.

Kid T
01-16-2014, 05:58 PM
I've used couple of different ones as well (Groupme, Palringo, Kakao, uTalk, etc.). As someone else pointed out, they all have pros and cons. The overriding issue I think you should consider is: What is the manority of the CC community using? It seems to me that the majority are using Groupme. Why is this important? Well, it isn't...unless you like being part of the community and interacting with other syndicates. We have help rooms and community intel rooms established. I am sure there may be some in the other chat apps, but it seems like Groupme has the largest (or most active).