PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Strategies

Agent Orange
12-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Before I get into this I want to wish everyone a Happy and safe New Year!

Was skimming through the threads on here and I have to admit I find it very depressing reading all of the problems this game has. What was a pretty neat little game seems to have degenerated into a frustrating mess for some players.

When I first started playing I used to wake up in the morning and immediately look at my base, then I would get frustrated finding that it had been raided over night and the cash I was building up to buy some other money building was gone.

So the first alternate strategy, leave the buildings raided. At this point in the game there is almost no need for an economy since the units you can buy with cash are pretty much useless compared to what you can get from LTQ's and WD. In some cases you could just nuke your entire base but perhaps not a wise move in the long haul if you think one day you might want to ramp up your frustration level and get a bit more into the game.

Since I've started to leave everything wiped out I wake up, and eventually get around to looking at MW and rest assured that someone hasn't ransacked my base over night. Now I'm happy in the morning.

Fighting in WD battles, this one I decided to sit out. Well ok I did take my little test faction out for a spin and you know what I didn't care about points or wins. I just played when I felt like it and guess what it was fun! Also required some actual strategy too which is really lacking in this game.

I confess to being one of these micro factions but the one thing I discovered is how much participation from all members no matter their stats is important to a team win. It helps when you have control and coordination of all of the players in your faction. So much so that I bet it would be a lot of fun groups got together in person and played. But given the diverse geographical spread of all of us that isn't something likely but it would make things fun again.

Playing for free, I have been a light to no gold spender since the very beginning. To me that is part of the challenge of this game although I have absolutely no thoughts of ever being in a top faction. You cannot be in a top faction and not spend real cash to be there so for me it's more interesting to see how far I can go on the cheap.

Restarting, I have had a lot more fun building up LLPs than working on my HLP. The game has evolved to the point where all the mistakes I have made up till now have impacted my HLPs ability to be competitive. And to a degree the game is really skewed to helping out the really new players as long as they are actually a new player controlled by a veteran player....

If you are a brand spanking new player reading the forum is your only hope, er well that is if you can dig down through all the complaint threads (which by the way are totally justified) to find some of the old guides.

I think the game has pretty much hit critical mass and it's basically going to die. Sorry guys for being so negative, but it's not the fun game it was originally. I think it would have been a lot more fun to have a game based on this engine but without the ability to stack the deck using in game cash to buy your way to the top but instead to have an up front fee and they you just played.

That to me would be worth the money and time spent creating strategies.....

Emerald_
12-30-2013, 04:48 PM
I've noticed in-game purchases are making their way into console games too. This wasn't such a bad thing for games like Metal Gear Solid 4, where those purchases were merely cosmetic and didn't give any advantages. The new Grand Theft Auto seems to be taking in-game purchases a step further and giving some advantages for those purchases. Unlike in MW though, those advantages can be overcome or equaled out by free players over time.

Blade of 3
12-30-2013, 05:00 PM
My faction has plenty of free players, unless it isn't considered a top faction. I agree with the new player mechanic. I have abandoned my main for my lap that is over double it's stats now.

vorm
12-30-2013, 05:08 PM
I remember way back when games were about things like skill and strategy. It took those things to be good at it. Now it's just all about how much money you can throw at it. I'm getting old, you kids get off my lawn.

Kefa
12-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Good post, AO, thanks for sharing.