PDA

View Full Version : Why build walls?

Tramp78
11-07-2013, 01:38 PM
I've been wondering about this for months.

Remember a fundamental fact. The point of a War isn't to win all the battles. It is to have the highest points you can get.

When you build a wall you spend large amounts of money to slow down other factions scoring points. Eventually they will knock them down and score points anyway but it increases your chance of beating that guy. What it doesn't do is increase the number of points you score against that faction. Walls just decrease the number of points scored against you.

Assume you had no walls. The other factions you fight would probably score more points. You may lose a few more individual battles. heck, you may lose all of them. But the number of points your faction scored would not be changed at all. Furthermore, the money you saved could be used to buy bonuses for individual attack, defense, health recovery and guild increases that allow you to attack stronger players with more people and actually score more points.

What about the factions that beat you? So what? Last few wars my faction fought about 44 to 50 wars. There is a finite number of 60 minute battles you can have (along with time to regen) during the war period. But let's say you fight 50 people and each of them score more points than you in each of your fights. But you will score more points during each war you fight due to the issues above than you would have otherwise so overall you are better off. Net result is 50 factions move up a little but you move up a lot. If you aren't trying to be in the top 50, having a few other factions win isn't going to fundamentally change your place in the rankings.

Feel free to comment.

Thief
11-07-2013, 01:41 PM
First of all....your Fundamental Fact is wrong for most factions. Most care about wins.

Secondly if your going for rank and its a close call perhaps the person in 11th, 26th, 51st, 76th, 101st etc just beat you because you didn't have wall.

Note: If your not trying to be very competitive, Not go for wins and pretty secure in your rankings than you are right. They are fairly obsolete.

Tramp78
11-07-2013, 01:45 PM
But what are the odds that out of thousands and thousands of factions, you fall one notch behind someone you fought? And as far as caring about wins... why? It is like caring about the names of the people you beat. What's the point. Yeah they have introduced some rewards for most wins, but they often aren't they good.

Web323
11-07-2013, 01:47 PM
With the frozen leaderboard it is very likely in the TOP 25

KFH
11-07-2013, 01:48 PM
But what are the odds that out of thousands and thousands of factions, you fall one notch behind someone you fought? And as far as caring about wins... why? It is like caring about the names of the people you beat. What's the point. Yeah they have introduced some rewards for most wins, but they often aren't they good.The win streak awards if you are not in a top 10 team will trump any awards given for wd. It's a whole new wd event with those introduced
love going up against a faction's without walls, it's a nice surprise to find

Thief
11-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Its not Thousands and Thousands of Factions. A Faction is based on how many points they can score. There are not Thousands and thousands competing for top 1,2,3,10,25,50,75,100,150 etc.

Now if your faction is ranked lets say top 3000. Well you have 1000 factions below you and 1500 factions ahead of you like i said your probably right. Having walls really won't impact you one way or another as if you fall 50 places do to those faction scoring more points than they would have your still in the top 4000.

As for the Win Rewards most of them are the most powerful units in the game....so if they aren't any good i'm not sure what is?

Tramp78
11-07-2013, 01:58 PM
My current faction is in the top 700 to 500. The factions we go against are scattered all over the place. Assuming they will all be above you is wrong. But the points scored by the top factions are SO much more than those just a few hundred below them that it isn't reasonable to worry about them.

Thief
11-07-2013, 02:21 PM
My current faction is in the top 700 to 500. The factions we go against are scattered all over the place. Assuming they will all be above you is wrong. But the points scored by the top factions are SO much more than those just a few hundred below them that it isn't reasonable to worry about them.

I didn't assume anything i was just saying in theroy. The point is place 501 without walls and i'll tell you why you didn't place top 500. Place 751 without walls and i'll tell you the same

As others have pointed out feel free to go without walls. It might have no impact on they strategy of your faction. For others is a small factor but sometimes you utilize every advantage you have at your disposal.

Arc Burn
11-07-2013, 02:47 PM
To those that said the total wins and win streak are some of the best in the game, I agree! And there were several factions in the 500-750 that got those prizes. A lvl 15 wall has 95k health. If you are doing 4k damage that's 24 hits. So If you are averaging just 250 pts per hit thats 6000 pts at 300 per hit thats 7200 points.

I know we have lost a war by less that 7200 and even 6000. But if the total wins and streak aren't important, ok. In MExico the difference between 500 and 501 was 424pts. The difference between 750 and 751 was 1133pts. In both cases just 6k points plus or minus could cause a swing on plus or minus 8-10 places.

Do what you want, it might not make a difference. But gimme all the wall I can get!

Thorm V2
11-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Is it September? No? Oh, the times have changed...

11-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Because simply by the time ur team kmocks down our wall we could have already scored 250 k points and u used your free shots on our wall and have to decide weather to do a gold refill to hit our command center

Tramp78
11-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Because simply by the time ur team kmocks down our wall we could have already scored 250 k points and u used your free shots on our wall and have to decide weather to do a gold refill to hit our command center

But you would have scored the same number of points without your wall and the money you spent on your wall could have gone towards something else more useful in getting more points.

11-07-2013, 06:11 PM
I would love if every one I faced didnt buy walls

CTRC(SW) UMBRA
11-07-2013, 07:47 PM
My faction has stopped using walls since Ireland. They are too expensive and a waste of money which can be better used toward faction bonuses. The non-use of Walls has not impacted us in our rankings whatsoever. We went from Top 250 (Columbia) to Top 150 (Mexico) without walls.

The walls fall in a matter seconds into a battle and are pointless in my opinion.

DFI
11-07-2013, 08:09 PM
My faction has stopped using walls since Ireland. They are too expensive and a waste of money which can be better used toward faction bonuses. The non-use of Walls has not impacted us in our rankings whatsoever. We went from Top 250 (Columbia) to Top 150 (Mexico) without walls.

The walls fall in a matter seconds into a battle and are pointless in my opinion.

In this game, your best defense is the level of def your lowest player has. I think walls come more into play when you are talking about gold free factions.

Allday
11-07-2013, 08:33 PM
In this game, your best defense is the level of def your lowest player has. I think walls come more into play when you are talking about gold free factions.
But walls give less points than the CC ;)

KingDante!
11-07-2013, 08:58 PM

Remember a fundamental fact. The point of a War isn't to win all the battles. It is to have the highest points you can get.
Stopped reading after that lol

DFI
11-07-2013, 09:00 PM
But walls give less points than the CC ;)

Yes it does. And depending on whether you are playing a points game or trying not to score, walls matter. But this gets into a much deeper strategyg discussion, so I'll leave it at that.

Sal T Iguana
11-07-2013, 11:49 PM
I don't know about you all but I'd like to have a golden wall.
C'mon Gree give us at least 1 indestructible wall throughout the whole war.
We get to choose when we want to use it.

Think about it, you would have 1 battle where you can totally screw your opponent by limiting their scoring. The wall doesn't come down and your opponent can't earn double the points.

But, there's a chance that you might be the unlucky faction battling more than one faction in a row who have a golden indestructible wall more often than you'd expect.

Sal T Iguana
11-07-2013, 11:59 PM
If your opponent is playing for the win streak then most likely they are trying to stay low in the rankings. Having no walls will force your opponent to score higher than they probably want to.

But now it's going to cost your team more gold to score more points because you basically gave the other team a massive head start.

When you build a wall you spend large amounts of money to slow down other factions scoring points. Eventually they will knock them down and score points anyway but it increases your chance of beating that guy. What it doesn't do is increase the number of points you score against that faction. Walls just decrease the number of points scored against you.

Assume you had no walls. The other factions you fight would probably score more points. You may lose a few more individual battles. heck, you may lose all of them. But the number of points your faction scored would not be changed at all. Furthermore, the money you saved could be used to buy bonuses for individual attack, defense, health recovery and guild increases that allow you to attack stronger players with more people and actually score more points.

What about the factions that beat you? So what? Last few wars my faction fought about 44 to 50 wars. There is a finite number of 60 minute battles you can have (along with time to regen) during the war period. But let's say you fight 50 people and each of them score more points than you in each of your fights. But you will score more points during each war you fight due to the issues above than you would have otherwise so overall you are better off. Net result is 50 factions move up a little but you move up a lot. If you aren't trying to be in the top 50, having a few other factions win isn't going to fundamentally change your place in the rankings.

Feel free to comment.

Wai
11-08-2013, 04:17 AM
If your opponent is playing for the win streak then most likely they are trying to stay low in the rankings. Having no walls will force your opponent to score higher than they probably want to.

But now it's going to cost your team more gold to score more points because you basically gave the other team a massive head start.

So what's your point?

Let's just understand that factions have different strategies and walls may or may not be part of that. Both strategies are fine. If one suits you better then use that. Some use different strategies during the course of a war. They are all legitimate, one is not always better than the other, it depends on your position, power and objective.

Walls were increased for no purpose except to increase the potential hits for an opposition and the potential to make a few extra $, no other reason. They are all paper thin and can all come down in under 30 seconds.

Tournai
11-08-2013, 04:49 AM
So what's your point?

Let's just understand that factions have different strategies and walls may or may not be part of that. Both strategies are fine. If one suits you better then use that. Some use different strategies during the course of a war. They are all legitimate, one is not always better than the other, it depends on your position, power and objective.

Walls were increased for no purpose except to increase the potential hits for an opposition and the potential to make a few extra $, no other reason. They are all paper thin and can all come down in under 30 seconds.

No need for more info after this reply I think:p LOL

You just got to see it ,about the walls! a battle always last 60 minutes!

CJ D
11-08-2013, 04:50 AM
One of the issues with this forum is that it is heavily loaded with faction members in the upper tiers....we fail to realize that most factions are not there. Most factions don't have more than a couple gold spenders or none at all. If you are simply going for placing, then walls serve little purpose except for that battle when you place within a few spots of a tier. If you are going for win streaks, then walls are vitally important. We had all level 15 walls last battle. We had a few battles that our wall didn't come down. That's the first time I've seen that since china.

Tanner
11-08-2013, 06:04 AM
for those of you no longer doing walls, consider a donation to a fledgling faction or two:
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?73896-Buying-Bricks-Blocks-Concrete-Mob-Shoes-BigMacs-NewYorkNikes-SkaterMakeUp
kthxbye

vball
11-09-2013, 08:28 PM
I personally think that anyone who has a chance to fight us should not have walls. In addition, please add the word Hobbit after your name in the name change portion. This makes it much simpler for us. Thank you.

There are many ways to play the game, but if I am seeking advice, I am going to solicit the advice from highly successful players and factions. There is a reason that strong factions get stronger and weak ones just get weaker. If you remove any gold component, there is a huge difference in mindset and tactics.

How are you Thief? Have not talked to you in ages. Will probably see you next weekend though. LOL