PDA

View Full Version : Psychology

Paul Wall
10-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Everyone that is irratated about all the tapping involved in the current fltq I have a simple explanation for you.

First, it's made like that on purpose. I know, why would they be so dumb? Well, it's actually smart on their part. You see, everytime you tap the screen whether it's collecting cash, killing a boss, raiding a base, or doing these crazy ltqs your brain releases tiny amounts of serotonin and other chemicals that make you happy, not unlike other actions the cause dependence. So, in short, this is the way they hook you without you even knowing.

I'm not saying I'm not a sucker too. Just wanted to explain this a little for some of the confused folks out there. I also realize in making this fltq so tedious no one's really clicking anything but the psychology behind it is the same. Good luck to you all!

Blade of 3
10-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Respectable theory but I don't agree. I can safely say no one is enjoying this. I am in psychology to so I understand the process of pleasure and such on the brain, but the activity has to be enjoying to the individual to even physically release any serotonin or dopamine. I personally tap on the character a hundred times and just come back in a few minutes when it's done. I believe Gree did it to help those approaching level 300. Why else would you be getting 100's of xp for such minute energy?

AFC Ajax
10-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Apparently you know what you're talking about. And maybe Gree also knows about all this. I dont know if u are right but there is one thing I know for sure....: Gree wants us to use gold!!

And also.. the more you tap on that screen, the bigger the chance you'll tap on the wrong target (happened three times to me and that all caused big lose of energy) which means that this event increases the amount of gold players.. of course

Paul Wall
10-11-2013, 10:32 AM
You missed my point if you think I'm only talking about this ltq. The tap tap tapping is what catches us and to dismiss this is naive.

BASEGOD
10-11-2013, 10:43 AM
These new ltq's are seriously making me think about selling all my stuff and quitting the game. Tapping on a guy 1000 times while he's walking around surrounded by like 10 other guys is BS

NaRciS
10-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Everyone that is irratated about all the tapping involved in the current fltq I have a simple explanation for you.

First, it's made like that on purpose. I know, why would they be so dumb? Well, it's actually smart on their part. You see, everytime you tap the screen whether it's collecting cash, killing a boss, raiding a base, or doing these crazy ltqs your brain releases tiny amounts of serotonin and other chemicals that make you happy, not unlike other actions the cause dependence. So, in short, this is the way they hook you without you even knowing.

I'm not saying I'm not a sucker too. Just wanted to explain this a little for some of the confused folks out there. I also realize in making this fltq so tedious no one's really clicking anything but the psychology behind it is the same. Good luck to you all!

Hi Paul,

Firstly, I enjoy the thought process behind 'Psychology' and how it guides customers to make choices, I may not understand it as much as you chaps, but here's my thoughts..

I completely agree with your comment which i feel is based on Behavioural Approach and say the principals of Operant Conditioning, I believe most games like MW are based on these principals, I think the problem is understanding your subject, be it a rat that has to push a button twice to get food, or a player that has to collect cash with a push of a button or defeat a boss over a set time period.

You can of course increase the required button pushes and the prizes to reinforce your hold on the player...

I think you also have to take into account the intelligence of the subject, you can pull most people into operant conditioning - the pushing buttons for reward, but things should be taken slowing when increasing payouts for additional requirements...

It is shown that you can increase the frequency of a given behaviour if you clearly explain to the player how the reward system works... without going on to much I also feel you can decrease behaviour rapidly by the following:

1) Overly increase button pushing requirements - this FLTQ hit - target 40 - 50 - 60 times.
2) Drop reward substantially - last Fltq - unit 60,000 stats - this one 10,000.
3) Provide a player with an explanation of how to win the prize then change it.

So, I agree with your comment completely, I have been hooked and been spending pennies with gree for over 8 months, these current events are the first i have ever missed, the Fltq I thought was outrageous in XP, Energy and prizes, I have also now missed the other 4 or 5....

Just my thoughts, hope they make sense!

Bobar
10-11-2013, 01:29 PM
they tried to avoid any prestaging and tactics. and they made it with that. congrats gree. but maybe a Pyrrhic victory as many quit or stop doing this boring lame supplier event

Paul Wall
10-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Couldn't have said it better. I totally agree.

Hi Paul,

Firstly, I enjoy the thought process behind 'Psychology' and how it guides customers to make choices, I may not understand it as much as you chaps, but here's my thoughts..

I completely agree with your comment which i feel is based on Behavioural Approach and say the principals of Operant Conditioning, I believe most games like MW are based on these principals, I think the problem is understanding your subject, be it a rat that has to push a button twice to get food, or a player that has to collect cash with a push of a button or defeat a boss over a set time period.

You can of course increase the required button pushes and the prizes to reinforce your hold on the player...

I think you also have to take into account the intelligence of the subject, you can pull most people into operant conditioning - the pushing buttons for reward, but things should be taken slowing when increasing payouts for additional requirements...

It is shown that you can increase the frequency of a given behaviour if you clearly explain to the player how the reward system works... without going on to much I also feel you can decrease behaviour rapidly by the following:

1) Overly increase button pushing requirements - this FLTQ hit - target 40 - 50 - 60 times.
2) Drop reward substantially - last Fltq - unit 60,000 stats - this one 10,000.
3) Provide a player with an explanation of how to win the prize then change it.

So, I agree with your comment completely, I have been hooked and been spending pennies with gree for over 8 months, these current events are the first i have ever missed, the Fltq I thought was outrageous in XP, Energy and prizes, I have also now missed the other 4 or 5....

Just my thoughts, hope they make sense!

NaRciS
10-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Couldn't have said it better. I totally agree.

Problem is Paul, if we understand that and lets be honest.. If your a multi million dollar game designer and publisher... How can you get it so very wrong...

My conclusion is that maybe the publisher wasn't following the recognised formula in the first place ;)

You can only wing it for so long... Lol

vorm
10-11-2013, 04:10 PM
I for one was getting so much pleasure and serotonin release from the tapping that I stated wanting to take a sledgehammer to my phone, but was so addicted to the tapping that I just quit this event and all future LTQs while contemplating selling my base and deleting the app because I'm getting so much enjoyment from it. It's worked well on me.

Mastert55!
10-11-2013, 04:23 PM
I for one was getting so much pleasure and serotonin release from the tapping that I stated wanting to take a sledgehammer to my phone, but was so addicted to the tapping that I just quit this event and all future LTQs while contemplating selling my base and deleting the app because I'm getting so much enjoyment from it. It's worked well on me.

I completely feel the same way as you do. I was just so overwhelmed with excitement that I almost feel asleep! I can't wait until my energy refills so I can tap a guy 1000000000000 times to win a low level unit!

lemonhaze
10-11-2013, 04:53 PM
I completely feel the same way as you do. I was just so overwhelmed with excitement that I almost feel asleep! I can't wait until my energy refills so I can tap a guy 1000000000000 times to win a low level unit! dont forget tappping 1000000 times to get some useless valor to..im up to over 4m valor now that i cant even spend

Big C
10-11-2013, 08:30 PM
The TNF alpha release in the MCP joint in my index finger is overriding the effects of serotonin in my brain.

CJ D
10-11-2013, 08:57 PM
They are pushing the limits to diminishing returns folks. Once they get there, you will see much of this stop. As they increase levels on many folks, points go down on WD, which is the cash cow. Lower points equal more gold. It's pretty simple. Increase levels, lower points. Players have huge stats now....you can't just quit now! Even when prizes drop off. Quitting or taking breaks when there are 4 events going on mean those huge stats are all for naught cause you'll be behind in a month. It's a viscious cycle.

Paul Wall
10-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Bwahahahaha... You're pretty funny!

Mr.Grumpy
10-11-2013, 11:55 PM
interesting thread. i for one am very interested in what's behind my addiction.

i think the addition of the factions was genius as well. i think i may have quit a while ago if i didn't feel i'd be letting my team down. i don't like the wars for example but i participate so my faction will do better. they have introduced more "at stake" beyond just myself.

and oh how i like to tap (within reason).

NaRciS
10-12-2013, 04:39 AM
They are pushing the limits to diminishing returns folks. Once they get there, you will see much of this stop. As they increase levels on many folks, points go down on WD, which is the cash cow. Lower points equal more gold. It's pretty simple. Increase levels, lower points. Players have huge stats now....you can't just quit now! Even when prizes drop off. Quitting or taking breaks when there are 4 events going on mean those huge stats are all for naught cause you'll be behind in a month. It's a viscious cycle.

That would be true, but they just dropped the stats on the current events to nothing compared with the last events, allowing lots of players to decide not to play and pay... So they have broken there concept... It allows players a rest bite to consider whats happening and then a reverse can happen, I stopped the FLTQ and now I'm not playing any of the events... Again this is the first time in 6 months that I have not even started MW events... Wonder who else has....