PDA

View Full Version : Dear GREE Staff, recognition due.

Robespierre
10-10-2013, 01:51 AM
An open letter to the Gree staff monitoring this board:

I can only imagine how annoying it must be to come on into these threads to hear all of the strong opinions on your work product. If it were me, I would just let this little corner of the interwebs fester on its own and focus on my daily work. But, you as professionals, at least look through the posts, and at most respond with great information. And even better, you adjust fire on projects and events when things are kinda shaky.

Now, stepping back into some perspective, you have done a good job putting together this product that has so many players all over the world, with the most passionate players participating in these forums. You give some pretty wide latitude in discussion on policies and game dynamics...at times getting outright nasty, and stepping in where appropriate to maintain decorum between the posters...trollbanning. I appreciate the light hand you use by allowing openly anti-gree sentiment, which could easily be quashed at any time. Most people shouting about First Amendment rights fail to understand that it applies to government suppression of speech, not private speech regulation. Thank you for that latitude for people to vent.

But to expand on the anti-gree sentiments, I want to make something clear, and I speak only for myself: I want you to keep your positions as employed designers and support staff. I'm sure that most of us know that there are decisions made at much higher pay-grades that you have to deal with, and I'm sure that most of us can identify with that precarious position. And if I had my wish, I would love to be in your area when your team is going over the threads, and then take you all out for happy hour to pick your brains and hear the [modern] war stories. You could pm me those stories if you want, but totally at your discretion.

So to CJ54, The Oracle, Tardavic, and any others I've missed, I wish you the very best, and I thank you for your job.You are real people doing a real job, and I think a lot of us can forget that at times.

Trolls: this thread recognizes that these are people in difficult positions; some not in control of actions affecting negative experiences, and a bit of empathy goes a long way before calling for their heads.

P.S. how come there wasn't any MW merchandise? Could have generated some revenue, especially during the early WD events. Physical prizes (trophy coins for example) would have been pretty cool too, as virtual goods and physical goods would probably be treated the same under the law.

Anyways, don't let the jerks get you down, and thanks for the latitude in venting.

Yours truly,

Robespierre

thundarr
10-10-2013, 04:59 AM
An open letter to the Gree staff monitoring this board:

I can only imagine how annoying it must be to come on into these threads to hear all of the strong opinions on your work product. If it were me, I would just let this little corner of the interwebs fester on its own and focus on my daily work. But, you as professionals, at least look through the posts, and at most respond with great information. And even better, you adjust fire on projects and events when things are kinda shaky.

Now, stepping back into some perspective, you have done a good job putting together this product that has so many players all over the world, with the most passionate players participating in these forums. You give some pretty wide latitude in discussion on policies and game dynamics...at times getting outright nasty, and stepping in where appropriate to maintain decorum between the posters...trollbanning. I appreciate the light hand you use by allowing openly anti-gree sentiment, which could easily be quashed at any time. Most people shouting about First Amendment rights fail to understand that it applies to government suppression of speech, not private speech regulation. Thank you for that latitude for people to vent.

But to expand on the anti-gree sentiments, I want to make something clear, and I speak only for myself: I want you to keep your positions as employed designers and support staff. I'm sure that most of us know that there are decisions made at much higher pay-grades that you have to deal with, and I'm sure that most of us can identify with that precarious position. And if I had my wish, I would love to be in your area when your team is going over the threads, and then take you all out for happy hour to pick your brains and hear the [modern] war stories. You could pm me those stories if you want, but totally at your discretion.

So to CJ54, The Oracle, Tardavic, and any others I've missed, I wish you the very best, and I thank you for your job.You are real people doing a real job, and I think a lot of us can forget that at times.

Trolls: this thread recognizes that these are people in difficult positions; some not in control of actions affecting negative experiences, and a bit of empathy goes a long way before calling for their heads.

P.S. how come there wasn't any MW merchandise? Could have generated some revenue, especially during the early WD events. Physical prizes (trophy coins for example) would have been pretty cool too, as virtual goods and physical goods would probably be treated the same under the law.

Anyways, don't let the jerks get you down, and thanks for the latitude in venting.

Yours truly,

Robespierre

This is all well and good but let us not forget that the mods are getting paid to do this. I am sure that they are not unpaid volunteers doing this for fun. When you are in customer service for any company you listen to complaints and do what you have to do to resolve them and keep the customers happy. How many time have you gone to a customer service desk and heard people extolling the virtues of the store they are shopping at?

jonmischler
10-10-2013, 05:18 AM
This is all well and good but let us not forget that the mods are getting paid to do this. I am sure that they are not unpaid volunteers doing this for fun. When you are in customer service for any company you listen to complaints and do what you have to do to resolve them and keep the customers happy. How many time have you gone to a customer service desk and heard people extolling the virtues of the store they are shopping at?

So you know for a fact they are getting paid salary for this?

I worked on a game called Deltascape for years and hardly got paid.

They are probably just a few developers that don't mind getting on the forum sometimes.

Nice speech, as always, Robes.

P.s. Timmy, your bartender. Would you mind asking him for the recipe to those mango mai tais? They were divine.

mickymacirl
10-10-2013, 05:26 AM

I beg to differ on the unpaid volunteers, there's also the beta team (players) who test Gree's games.

thundarr
10-10-2013, 05:33 AM
I beg to differ on the unpaid volunteers, there's also the beta team (players) who test Gree's games.

Good one :p

Jannski
10-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Even when paid, it sure makes a rep's day to hear someone say, "Thank you. I know it's not you making the policies, or making the decision to release code."

In college I worked in customer service. When we had something like a bill misprint it was bad! That person saying thanks made me approach the next call with a smile versus thinking... ugh... here we go.

So kudos at recognizing the problems in the game and the mistakes made, but remaining considerate of the real people out there working on it.

Sirius
10-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the kind words folks.

I've passed this along to the team as I'm sure they will be happy to read this.

Again, Thanks!

Kefa
10-10-2013, 11:51 AM
+1

Paid or not, the people who try to deal with our problems and issues every day are not the ones making the decisions. Decisions are made higher up, and these are the people having to absorb the backlash.

I second... Thank you for doing your best, and please don't cut off communication just because some people vocally think theirs is the only right way. I wouldn't want your job, but I sure do appreciate you doing it!

WI(AusNz)
10-11-2013, 02:12 AM
+1

personally never really had any issue with Gree support. A follow up polite email helps if you feel your issue had not been solved.

In the almost 2 years I have played MW, I feel that the changes made to the game have always been in the right direction. Some of these changes I may not have been supporter at first but in hindsight, have made the game better. The changing nature and strategy has kept a veteran of the game like me interested.

We tend to trash Gree from time to time but I also appreciate that those criticisms are kept on the forums and not suppressed.

The game is very addictive and fun to a fault. If not, non of us would be on these forums. Well done.